Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food safe wood pellets for Uuni pizza oven

Options
  • 12-06-2017 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I just ordered one of these pizza ovens and need to get Food safe wood pellets - ideally in Cork

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

It seems that the pellet standard ENP Plus A1 is foodsafe so i can get them in Woodies.

I'd be very interested in hearing anyone elses experiences with the uuni though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As aldi were selling wood fired ovens recently they might have the wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Hi,

A couple of months ago I ordered 2 of the 10kg bags of "official uuni wood pellets" off amazon. They are perfect.....and now i see they dont do them anymore!! I dont even see them on the uuni site anymore!

Very annoying as I can't seem to find any myself. I'm probably ok for another few months, but dont know what i'll do after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

A Room Outside in Limerick stock the pellets, and they will post to you.

I got mine from their Dublin shop.

I got a Uuni 3 second hand recently and have only used it once. Big difference to my old clay pizza oven, which took up to 2 hours to get to temperature, but would hold it really easy from then on.

The Uuni heated up in about 20 minutes, but was harder to hold at temperature, due to using small amounts of pellets rather than big logs of hardwood.

if its too hot, the pizza will burn before it's ready, and its too cold the stone gets soot/char on it which flavours the base badly. I would definitely recommend an infra red thermometer to keep checking the temp of the stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

curiousb wrote: »
    A Room Outside in Limerick stock the pellets, and they will post to you.

I got mine from their Dublin shop.

I got a Uuni 3 second hand recently and have only used it once. Big difference to my old clay pizza oven, which took up to 2 hours to get to temperature, but would hold it really easy from then on.

The Uuni heated up in about 20 minutes, but was harder to hold at temperature, due to using small amounts of pellets rather than big logs of hardwood.

if its too hot, the pizza will burn before it's ready, and its too cold the stone gets soot/char on it which flavours the base badly. I would definitely recommend an infra red thermometer to keep checking the temp of the stone.

What size bags do they sell in a room outside?

• Advertisement

What size bags do they sell in a room outside?

They are small 450g bags of Old Indian Alder, I think they were €2.50 each...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 seano2201

I'm just about to buy an uuni 3 pizza oven and I'm wondering has anyone discovered where in Ireland it's possible to get food grade wood pellets. Shipping from UK is prohibitive. Thanks

seano2201 wrote: »
    I'm just about to buy an uuni 3 pizza oven and I'm wondering has anyone discovered where in Ireland it's possible to get food grade wood pellets. Shipping from UK is prohibitive. Thanks

A Room Outside in Limerick stock the pellets, and they will post to you. They also now have a Dublin branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

okedoke wrote: »
    It seems that the pellet standard ENP Plus A1 is foodsafe so i can get them in Woodies.

I'd be very interested in hearing anyone elses experiences with the uuni though

Just pulled the trigger on an Unni 3 as well. Did you go ahead with the ENP Plus A1 pellets? How did you get on? Ordering something like pellets online seems mad since the delivery is bound to be more than they are actually worth, so I'm hoping to source pellets locally, and as you mentioned woodies seem to have pellets that meet that standard.

RonnieL wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on an Unni 3 as well. Did you go ahead with the ENP Plus A1 pellets? How did you get on? Ordering something like pellets online seems mad since the delivery is bound to be more than they are actually worth, so I'm hoping to source pellets locally, and as you mentioned woodies seem to have pellets that meet that standard.

I'd recommend going for the gas attachment, makes life a lot easier! You can swap them back and forth so you can still use pellets if you like.

Definitely no difference on flavour from gas or wood as the pizza cooks so quickly.

• Advertisement

Got on fine with the ones from woodies but maintaining temp when cooking a good few pizzas in a row is tough. I might get the gas attachment as the poster below did for ease of use.

I'd recommend going for the gas attachment, makes life a lot easier! You can swap them back and forth so you can still use pellets if you like.

Definitely no difference on flavour from gas or wood as the pizza cooks so quickly.

I have a propane tank for bbq and i see the uuni takes propane as well - is it straightforward to use the same tank for both (i.e. swap connectors each time you're using it?

Edit - watched the video on uuni site and see you get a hose + connector with it, solves the problem. I'll be buying that.

Haven't received the oven yet, but I am planning to get the gas converter, especially for times when I want to cook a good few pizzas. I bought it from https://gobbqco.com/ and they don't have the gas converter so I'll have to source that elsewhere. Looking forward to giving it a go with the pellets at the weekend anyway.

Haven't received the oven yet, but I am planning to get the gas converter, especially for times when I want to cook a good few pizzas. I bought it from https://gobbqco.com/ and they don't have the gas converter so I'll have to source that elsewhere. Looking forward to giving it a go with the pellets at the weekend anyway.

Just ordered the gas connection from uuni direct £57 all in incl postage

My Unni 3 arrived. I assembled it last night and did a bit of a test burn with the pellets (ENP Plus A1 compliant, sourced locally). I hadn't any dough made, so I couldn't test it fully. The lighting went smoothly, and before long there was a funnel of flames coming out the chimney. I did notice the pizza stone ended up covered in what looks like fairly thick black soot. Is that normal? I'm guessing that will transfer to the pizza base, and it won't taste good?

PS: I do still intend on getting the gas converter, but there's something appealing about the pellets - maybe I'm just a bit of a pyro.

That soot is usually because the stone hasn't got hot enough. When it does it should burn off. The problem with the pellets is it is easy for the temperature to drop again and get the soot back.

That soot is usually because the stone hasn't got hot enough. When it does it should burn off. The problem with the pellets is it is easy for the temperature to drop again and get the soot back.

Thanks for the reply. That's grand - I didn't let it burn for that long, and I only noticed the soot after I had let the fire die down, so maybe the stone had been clear previously.

Thanks for the reply. That's grand - I didn't let it burn for that long, and I only noticed the soot after I had let the fire die down, so maybe the stone had been clear previously.

If I have soot on the stone when I have finished cooking, I leave it there and it usually disappears when the stone comes up to temperature for the next cook.

okedoke wrote: »
    Just ordered the gas connection from uuni direct £57 all in incl postage

Gas kit is fantastic - no more messing around trying to get a consistent temp with the pellets. Cooked 4 pizzas last night, each one was perfect. With the pellets i was getting burning if too hot or smokey if too cold. well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Caterboss

Sorry, self-promotion is not allowed on boards. Especially posting in zombie threads.

The Gloomster!

Post edited by Gloomtastic! on

• Advertisement
Advertisement