Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloudflare repeating.

Options
  • 13-06-2017 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭

On iPad, asking me as many as 6 different 'tests' before I can get on to boards.

Very annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This was happening again. More than 10 times, getting asked to select images with street signs.

Eventually I tried to do an audio one instead, but wasn't allowed.

Pain in the neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

Hi,

Unfortunately the country of origin for your IP address is also the source of a lot of unwanted/suspect traffic to the site. So from time to time restrictions have to be put in place to limit our exposure to this kind of traffic, and unfortunately the downside of that to our human users are capcha challenges.

However having to complete 10 challenges is excessive. Are these occurring successively or are you getting 10 challenges over the course of an entire session?

Hi,

Unfortunately the country of origin for your IP address is also the source of a lot of unwanted/suspect traffic to the site. So from time to time restrictions have to be put in place to limit our exposure to this kind of traffic, and unfortunately the downside of that to our human users are capcha challenges.

However having to complete 10 challenges is excessive. Are these occurring successively or are you getting 10 challenges over the course of an entire session?

The country of origin for my IP address? I'm in Limerick. The tablet was bought abroad alright.

Yes, successively, 10 times in a row - I tap on 'submit' and it just changes to another capcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

osarusan wrote: »
    The country of origin for my IP address? I'm in Limerick. The tablet was bought abroad alright.

A bit like this :

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/us/politics/china-phones-software-security.html

some tablets were sending webtraffic back "home" to China n places

Are you using a vpn or proxy service? Looking at your ip address history - the vast majority of your posts appear to be made from non-irish IP addresses. I also can't find any record of capcha challenges being presented to your most recently used ip addresses.

Notwithstanding all that - as I said previously, you shouldn't be getting 10 in a row - are you sure that you are completing them successfully? Failed challenges is the only reason I can think for such an excessive amount of capchas being presented.

• Advertisement

I haven't been outside Ireland in about a year.

After 2 or 3 attempts on capcha, the 'verify' option disappears and is replaced by 'skip' which just brings me to a new visual capcha.

No vpn or proxy.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Are you using incognito mode or a private browsing window?

After 2 or 3 attempts on capcha, the 'verify' option disappears and is replaced by 'skip' which just brings me to a new visual capcha.

Yeah that sounds very much like you are not completing the capcha challenges successfully. Are you using a touch device or a desktop device? Do you have this issue across devices?

No vpn or proxy.

I can only form an opinion on the facts that I have here in front of me, but I can tell you that your traffic is not coming to us from an Irish host. That is why you are being presented with the capcha challenges in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I had this problem in the long past, but it was with UPC occasionally used a Dutch IP, not sure if it would be affected with Virgin Media take over.

• Advertisement

This is also happening to me before I hit post or send a pm. I'm re-directed to a captcha type page and asked to select boxes with shop fronts or the like.

I'm in Ireland with a regular old laptop and no cloak and dagger style IP address things.

I used the Safari browser on my ipad to get onto boards, and had no capcha and no problem.

Bizarrely, after doing that, I switched back to the Puffin browser which seems to have been causing the problem, and haven't encountered any capcha on that browser either.

Seems to have resolved itself, but I have no idea why.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Glad to hear that your woes are behind you, osarusan. Persepoly, are you still running into issues?

Bizarrely, after doing that, I switched back to the Puffin browser which seems to have been causing the problem, and haven't encountered any capcha on that browser either.

That'll be because there restrictions that were in place for that ip range have been lifted for the moment.

Hi Mark, it seems to have stopped now thankfully and is back to normal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement