Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VFR1200 Seat rip - repair, replace or re-cover?

• 13-06-2017 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, looking for some advice. In 17 years of biking, I've never had a seat rip before, so not sure what the best route is to getting it sorted, before it gets worse. It's a vinyl seat, and the rip is narrow - around an inch long, along an external rounded edge (but not along a seam), so I'd imagine it'll get worse pretty quickly. Would I be better off trying to get it repaired (any suggestions), get a cover for it, or send it off to be re-covered?

A quick google suggests I could get it re-covered for about ?180, a seat cover would cost about ?80 (stapled + glued), and not sure about repairs. Any recommendations? Wouldn't imagine there'd be too many vfr1200 seats at the motor factors.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If you are touring alot or commuting alot maybe upgrading the seat would be a good idea, the seats on the 1200 are very thin and not very comfy for a touring bike IMO. You could get a heated more padded seat or get a sargent seat series or the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks Wonda-Boy. Not much touring or time in the seat, so really looking to get it sorted economically, rather than looking at upgrading the comfort. Are vinyl seats repairable? Will a seat cover fit properly, or just look sh1te?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Maybe have a look on the vfr forums and see if it's a common issue and if they have a cheaper solution for you.

Vfrworld.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ehm.. Think he'd do it for me? :)
    I'm leaning towards a bit of black sticky tape, and when it gets bad, a cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I have a little cigarette burn on my seat (from a car driver flicking it out the window) and just put black tape under the burn facing up and sellotape on the top over it. Forgot about it until this thread... so depending on your damage try a bodge like that as a short term fix.. and if you forget about it then hey presto it's a permanent fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

It's fairly cheap to get recovered. I got mine done for ?50, if I remember correctly. Left it in at night, it was ready next day and looked a world apart from a worn and torn seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

It's fairly cheap to get recovered. I got mine done for ?50, if I remember correctly. Left it in at night, it was ready next day and looked a world apart from a worn and torn seat.

Who did it for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Who did it for you?

I'm fairly sure it was the lad mentioned in this post: http://www.biker.ie/forum/showpost.php?p=3267455&postcount=5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I'm fairly sure it was the lad mentioned in this post: http://www.biker.ie/forum/showpost.php?p=3267455&postcount=5

Just spoke to Liam,and hes gonna do a bit of work for me on some seat units next week.

Thanks for that link.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I put tiger seal on a rip I had on a tdm before.
    Worked perfectly.

Advertisement