Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to dress a shortie

• 13-06-2017 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I'm the shortie in question! I would love some suggestions please.
    I find it hard to get summery clothes I'm happy with. I'm 5ft size 10-12 and a H cup. I carry a bit of weight on the front of my stomach, my poochy mammy belly. I would love to get into a casual maxi dress this year, I've never felt like they look good on me but there must be something out there that would suit my shape and isn't tent like.

What other summery clothes could I look at? Definitely more into a understated look and I'm 33 if that makes a difference to your suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

First thing I would do is invest in a really good bra that would make the most of your shape. Then there are loads of petite ranges around, so focus on getting the best fit possible, if clothes fit well then it makes the world of difference.

I'd suggest that dresses (think tea dresses) might be flattering and I know you said casual, but wearing a bit of a heal will make you look more proportionate, like maybe even some mid height wedges.

I'm new so I can't post links but theres a blogger called Dainty Dress Diaries who might give you some inspo, think shes around the same height :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Good underwear is your best friend here - I like the body sculpting slips that hold in the tummy and shape the sides.
    A really good one can be pricey but it's money well spent. I have a black one and a nude one and wouldn't be without them!
    (Obviously these are for the evening more than the day)

I don't have big boobs so can't offer advice there but as the previous poster said, a good bra is the way to go.

Once you have these 2 things sorted, you can put on anything really!

Day wear is a little harder as you're not going to want to wear sculpting underwear, you'll be too hot and uncomfortable.
    I agree with SozBbz about tea dresses, I think these would be far more flattering than a maxi dress.

When looking at evening heels go for nude as they create the illusion of a longer leg.
    I avoid anything with a strap around the ankle (regardless of colour) as it tends to make the leg look shorter.

For the day, maybe try a nude wedge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks! I recently joined a Facebook page which gives tips on measuring your own bra size and you're absolutely right about the difference it makes. I had been wearing a band which was way too big and a cup that was way too small. It's actually what prompted me to post here! Like if a properly chosen bra can make such a difference to me, imagine a properly fitted dress! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Totally agree on the bras, I'm big too (E) and had a fitting and bought new ones lately and it's made a massive difference to my outline (I'm 5'0 shortie also, about a size 14).

I've big boobs but I'm not short, so I can only half relate, but I've lost some weight recently so I'm planning a trip into town to inest in a really good nude bra, and getting measured professionally of course. I fully expect it to cost me €60-80 aprox but thats fine if it makes all my clothes look better when I wear it! Thinking of going to Peaches &Cream and Brown Thomas.

• Advertisement

I was measured in debenhams twice and in one was told 34DD and the other 36D. When I measured myself as per the guide I got I came out as 30H. Which I scoffed at until I tried some on and there is definitely a difference in comfort and fit for me.

WRT dresses Are there any particular type of fabrics that hang in a more flattering way? Should I look for print or plain? Any particular neckline or straps?

Also am I just to short to pull of a play suit? (Are they still even a thing this year?)

As you can see I'm pretty clueless on this. Never took an interest in it before but seeing as how I need to buy a few things anyway I figured I may as well do it properly!

Whispered wrote: »
    I was measured in debenhams twice and in one was told 34DD and the other 36D. When I measured myself as per the guide I got I came out as 30H. Which I scoffed at until I tried some on and there is definitely a difference in comfort and fit for me.

WRT dresses Are there any particular type of fabrics that hang in a more flattering way? Should I look for print or plain? Any particular neckline or straps?

Also am I just to short to pull of a play suit? (Are they still even a thing this year?)

As you can see I'm pretty clueless on this. Never took an interest in it before but seeing as how I need to buy a few things anyway I figured I may as well do it properly!

Yeah I'm a bit dubious about the measuring services in mainstream department stores, thats why I want to try peaches and cream, but if they fit me into something that I just feel isnt right, I won't be buying!

I want something thats going to focus on giving me shape wtihout too much padding. I want something in a nude colour with a seamfree finish so the bra itself will be nothing to look at, but with a good strong back strap to support my chest without putting too much weight on my shoulders.

I will ultimately go in search of a new strappless bra too, but for now I want something very normal in shape, but just very supportive and neutral to go under everything.

I'd recommend Intimate Lingerie on Drury Street. I never thought I could wear a strapless bra and now I have one I love. The mould bras give shape without padding. Expensive but worth it.

missmatty wrote: »
    I'd recommend Intimate Lingerie on Drury Street. I never thought I could wear a strapless bra and now I have one I love. The mould bras give shape without padding. Expensive but worth it.

Thanks, I'll add them to my list!

What sort of size are you if you don't mind me asking? I'd love a good strapless bra but I'm not sure if I'm asking for too much :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If you are ever in the UK or Belfast, Bravissimo is a great place to go for measuring.

I'm in the same boat as you but found Brown Thomas don't stock anything beyond a G cup. I went in once with a large voucher and was told they had nothing that would fit me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

Try to find dresses with cinched in waists or waist definition. Easier said than done mind.

Avoid dresses with full skirts. In my opinion, they just make you look bigger but each to their own:)
    Again avoid dresses with loads of pleats on bottom. Same thing.

I like fitted dresses and cotton fitted dresses in the Winter.
    Anything loose fitting will not flatter.

Maxi dress again do not flatter as shapeless.

Smile111 wrote: »
    Try to find dresses with cinched in waists or waist definition. Easier said than done mind.

Avoid dresses with full skirts. In my opinion, they just make you look bigger but each to their own:)
    Again avoid dresses with loads of pleats on bottom. Same thing.

I like fitted dresses and cotton fitted dresses in the Winter.
    Anything loose fitting will not flatter.

Maxi dress again do not flatter as shapeless.

Thanks that's really helpful.

Yeah I think you're right about the maxis. They look fab on taller willowy people - the opposite of me :D

SozBbz wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll add them to my list!

What sort of size are you if you don't mind me asking? I'd love a good strapless bra but I'm not sure if I'm asking for too much :(

I'm a 34E. Fantasie I think was the brand, they have them in Arnotts as well.

missmatty wrote: »
    I'm a 34E. Fantasie I think was the brand, they have them in Arnotts as well.

Oh perfect. I had been wearing a 36E, but they're now feeling a bit loose. Good to know effective strapless bras in 34E exist

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SimpleDimples

I'm similar size and shape to you and find Bravissimo good for clothes and underwear.

If you have your heart set on a maxi dress maybe something like this. https://www.bravissimo.com/products/joanna-maxi-dress-cobalt-pd592clt/
    I have it in a different colour and it's the only maxi dress that didn't swamp me. With wedges you won't even need to shorten it. The website would also have more dresses that would flatter your shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

I'm similar shape to you and find its easier to go with separates hard to find a nice dress, for colours try to keep it plain colour near your boobs and keep the decoration below waist jewelry, belts, handbags to accessorise For day bras I wear the panache sports bra it's actually the most comfortable one I have worn in ages found out by accident great as sports bra too otherwise freya are a great brand but you need to try on I'm a different size for these brands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm a shortie with a G/GG chest, so I've been there.

As others have said - I'd highly recommend Bravissimo if you ever the get the opportunity for bra fitting. Their clothing (Pepperberry) is also great for tops that are designed for bigger boobs....but can be a bit pricy. I normally shop from their sales. Once you get your sizing sorted, you can shop online.

I have a couple of maxi dresses that I got years and years ago, but they're very flowy, so not very flattering - I really only wear them on holidays.

I do like dresses, but can be hard to find suitable ones. Wallis petite can be good too...but you have to get used to what suits you. I have hardly anything in my wardrobe that has buttons that open on the front. Debenhams Collection & Petite Collection are other favourites of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Another shortie here (5ft) and I agree with the good fitting underwear advice. It makes such a difference. I'm a 34DD or sometimes an E cup and that along with being short makes shopping difficult.
    I was lucky enough to have been given a present a few years back of a session with a personal stylist. She came to my house, went through my wardrobe and gave me great advice. I've followed her advice ever since and make much fewer mistakes.
    I'm a wedge shape and the main thing apart from the underwear is balance. Avoid having all the detail/frills or any extra bulk on the top part of your body. Try to choose clothes that have detail around the hips that balance you out. I find tunic dresses/tea dresses/shift dresses/wrap dresses suit me best. Loving dresses with pockets at the moment. Length wise I never go too far below my knee, I feel swamped in anything long. I never, ever wear high round necks. I always opt for v-necks or sweetheart necks. This is a pain as a lot of clothes seem to have high necks, I've actually bought them and had the neckline altered. The lower necklines are much more flattering.
    Being short means that you can also wear nice tops/jackets over skinny jeans too. This would be fairly typical of what I'd wear
    http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/v-by-very-soft-boxy-jacket/1600144111.prd
    I'd wear that during the day with a low wedge/loafer and then put the heels on for going out.
    I also avoid big chunky knitwear as it adds too much bulk. I'd choose lighter knits
    http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/v-by-very-v-neck-cut-out-back-jumper/1600133980.prd.
    Us shorties can also get away with short, straight skirts. I wear them in winter with black opaques and a light knit or top. Again with flatter shoes for daytime and heels for going out. Spend a couple of hours in a department store and bring in a load of dresses (all different shapes) - Try them all and see what suits you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

If you're ever in Belfast I'd highly recommend dropping into the Bravissimo store, they are brilliant in there! M&S measured me as a 36D, Bravissimo had me at 32FF- the fit is amazing! I honestly looked like I'd lost half a dress size on top, magic!

Clothes wise I would definitely consider a midi dress over maxi, they can be really flattering on shorter legs, and a V neck for the boobs! Warehouse tends to have a good selection, and their sale is on too http://www.warehouse-london.com/ie/sale/all-sale/?prefn1=parentRefinement&prefv1=dresses&page=7

That's an amazing difference in size Twee, nearly worth a trip to Belfast just to get fitted properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

Slightly off topic but I found this guide better for measurement compared to our department stores, similar to Twee I dropped two band sizes and gained a few cups sizes - made such a difference to my shape

https://booborbust.com

Yeah that's the guide I ised and it made a massive difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

jos28 wrote: »
    Another shortie here (5ft) and I agree with the good fitting underwear advice. It makes such a difference. I'm a 34DD or sometimes an E cup and that along with being short makes shopping difficult.
    I was lucky enough to have been given a present a few years back of a session with a personal stylist. She came to my house, went through my wardrobe and gave me great advice. I've followed her advice ever since and make much fewer mistakes.
    I'm a wedge shape and the main thing apart from the underwear is balance. Avoid having all the detail/frills or any extra bulk on the top part of your body. Try to choose clothes that have detail around the hips that balance you out. I find tunic dresses/tea dresses/shift dresses/wrap dresses suit me best. Loving dresses with pockets at the moment. Length wise I never go too far below my knee, I feel swamped in anything long. I never, ever wear high round necks. I always opt for v-necks or sweetheart necks. This is a pain as a lot of clothes seem to have high necks, I've actually bought them and had the neckline altered. The lower necklines are much more flattering.
    Being short means that you can also wear nice tops/jackets over skinny jeans too. This would be fairly typical of what I'd wear
    http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/v-by-very-soft-boxy-jacket/1600144111.prd
    I'd wear that during the day with a low wedge/loafer and then put the heels on for going out.
    I also avoid big chunky knitwear as it adds too much bulk. I'd choose lighter knits
    http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/v-by-very-v-neck-cut-out-back-jumper/1600133980.prd.
    Us shorties can also get away with short, straight skirts. I wear them in winter with black opaques and a light knit or top. Again with flatter shoes for daytime and heels for going out. Spend a couple of hours in a department store and bring in a load of dresses (all different shapes) - Try them all and see what suits you.

Hey.Where would you buy your dresses? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

I'm small too and I find the only trousers that work for me are the petite ranges (if you are 5'3" or under). I'd recommend checking them out. NEXT, Dorothy Perkins etc do good petite range trousers. For Maxi dresses, try Coast, as they do a petite range too. ASOS do cheap and cheerful petite clothes. Also, if you look at Italian and French brands such as Sandro, Sisley, Précis Petit, Bomb Petit, they are designed for a population that are generally not as tall as the average woman in the U.K. (where most of our fashion comes from!).
    You could also learn to sew and take up your own clothes or make friends with your nearest seamstress!

So just thought i'd check back in on this thread because I finally went and got myself measured for a new bra at the weekend and the difference!

I went to Peaches and Cream, just off Grafton Street. I just bought a nude bra which won't show under clothes so nothing exciting but I actually feel it makes a huge difference, I feel like my boobs look so much more neat and tidy under my clothes.

I had been wearing a 36E, and have recently lost a decent but of weight and my chest has definitely gotten smaller. That said, my new bra is a 34F (!!!) and its perfect. It cost €50 but worth every penny.

Well done! Makes such a big difference in the way you feel doesn't it? The lady in there is very nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Wait... why are maxi dresses out? If they're V neck, high waist & a-symmetrical? Isn't that supposed to be a flattering shape for any size or figure? :confused: (I don't know this stuff, am still learning how to properly dress like a girl)

If I were shorter than I am, I would have a tendency to think shorter, above the knee, dresses or playsuits. But :o that's probably all wrong, I dunno.

I adore the look of (but never bought) maxi dresses! Love the length so much! They look so feminine, comfy and easy... If I had the curves, I would prolly live in something like this. But I can see how it may be much too voluminous irl, but (sigh) it appears so flowy & beautiful on the model... I'm hopeless with this fashion stuff.

At 5 ft 0 it's a definite NO to that maxi dress. I'd be swamped in it, far too much material.
    I'd tend to go more for dresses like these :
    L4ARQ_SQ1_0000000004_BLACK_MDf?$266x354_standard$&$roundel_lwireland$&p1_img=sale_roundel

LFN6R_SQ1_0000000017_RED_MDf?$266x354_standard$

KYU34_SQ1_0000006083_MID_RED_MDf?$266x354_standard$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Those are beautiful!

• Advertisement
Advertisement