Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Screen Damage

Options
  • 13-06-2017 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

So my 5 year old had my iPad Air 2 for all of about 10 minutes and he managed to crack the screen in two places. I've been looking at repair options and pretty astonished at the price Apple charges - £296.44 :eek: on the UK site to replace the glass seems extraordinary when the new iPad only costs £35 more than that...! (The costs are even worse on the Irish site)

Are there decent non-Apple (ie cheaper) options out there? My wife got her iPad 3 screen replaced a few months ago in Dublin, had to take it back to them twice and it's still not right, so I'd be worried about third-party repairs.

Anybody got any advice...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

iniall wrote: »
    So my 5 year old had my iPad Air 2 for all of about 10 minutes and he managed to crack the screen in two places. I've been looking at repair options and pretty astonished at the price Apple charges - ?296.44 :eek: on the UK site to replace the glass seems extraordinary when the new iPad only costs ?35 more than that...! (The costs are even worse on the Irish site)

Are there decent non-Apple (ie cheaper) options out there? My wife got her iPad 3 screen replaced a few months ago in Dublin, had to take it back to them twice and it's still not right, so I'd be worried about third-party repairs.

Anybody got any advice...?

3rd party repairs suck,,,as much as it hurts you're better off to splash out on either a new refurb or fix

oh wait..there's a guy in limerick who uses original apple parts for it..I got my ipad air fixed and its like brand new..however touch ID won't work in case the air 2 has it? Cost me €100 i think it was.
    he's on adverts..

http://www.adverts.ie/apple/iphone-ipad-apple-computer-repair-by-imonkeys/12790591

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Blazer wrote: »
    3rd party repairs suck,,,as much as it hurts you're better off to splash out on either a new refurb or fix

oh wait..there's a guy in limerick who uses original apple parts for it..I got my ipad air fixed and its like brand new..however touch ID won't work in case the air 2 has it? Cost me €100 i think it was.
    he's on adverts..

http://www.adverts.ie/apple/iphone-ipad-apple-computer-repair-by-imonkeys/12790591

Yes, it does have TouchID, so I guess that's ruled out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

try www.fonfix.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

the thing about the 6s is that apple changed the way the touchid is cabled up and the rear ribbon is glued to the glass.
    Previous versions work find with as the homebutton, ribbon and cable can all be moved to the new one.
    You can always ring and query him on it before making a decision.

Blazer wrote: »
    the thing about the 6s is that apple changed the way the touchid is cabled up and the rear ribbon is glued to the glass.
    Previous versions work find with as the homebutton, ribbon and cable can all be moved to the new one.
    You can always ring and query him on it before making a decision.

Worth a try. Thanks!

• Advertisement

jonnycivic wrote: »

Fónfix quoting €402 to repair iPad Air 2 :eek:!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

Could be worse.. I dropped my iPad pro ?660 :(

Homer wrote: »
    Could be worse.. I dropped my iPad pro ?660 :(

Oh no, that's awful - is it one of the new ones? €660! Obviously Apple are thinking that you'll suck it up for another €90 and buy a new one. The backstards.

Here's a thought. If I was to bite the bullet and replace my iPad Air 2 with the iPad (2017), would that be a step down? The Air 2 was the top of the line in 2014, but the iPad (2017) is - what? - third in line now? I know it's a good price (at least it is in the US) and the jump from Apple's extreme screen replacement cost to iPad Pro is a little too high, but has anyone gone from Air 2 to iPad (2017) and noticed any major differences? I've read that the screen on the iPad (2017) isn't as good as the Air 2, for example.

Advertisement