Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picket fence layout - opinions.

Options
  • 13-06-2017 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of putting up a picket fence around my house and can't decide on which side to face some of the pickets on the rails.
    Pickets 145mm wide, 1200mm high with 25mm gaps. top rail approx @ 1000mm and bottom just clear of the ground.

A, B, C & D will all have the picket panels facing the road, so the rails will be visible in the gardens. No issues there.

E, I think will have to have the panels facing the sheds, so C & E will be a continuous run, notwithstanding the joint with D.
    Although I have thought about facing them (just E) into garden 1 but I'd image they (C & E) would look odd with half the fence facing one way and the other facing the other.

F & G I'd like to have the panels facing into garden 1 as the line is broken by the gate, but will this look odd, having those panels facing into garden 1 when everywhere else in garden 1 has the rails visible?

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

35idhs8.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

You do not say what is contained in the two gardens. For instance, if Garden 1 is a "decorative " area, with lawn and borders, etc., and Garden 2 is a veg garden, then the panels should face into G1. Could you then double up at C&E with panels both sides? Or move D into line with B ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The way I read it, BCEFG is a continuous line of fencing where all the rails should be on the same side, facing garden 1.

And then with sections A and D, the rails face away from the road (best side out).

Think of standing in garden one and looking at all the fencing. You want to see rails everywhere.

Garden 2 will have all panels except D, which is a little weird, but the alternatives are weirder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭paulbok

Yeah, that's what I went with in the end.

Someone at home did suggest double rails and picket both sides.
    I told them if they paid for it, I'd do it
    They went quiet after that:rolleyes:

Advertisement