Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How thick are some people?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Solar Freaking Roadways....

Are you retarded? The worst possible material to build a road out of is glass, and the worst possible place to put solar panels is lying flat on the ground underneath cars trucks and busses.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

mfceiling wrote: »
    I've posted this before and it's mostly to our Lady friends.

Full shop goes through in supermarket. Takes an age to pack bags...then stares at the cashier for an age. After being told the amount the search then takes place for the purse to pay. WHY? Why the fcuk couldn't you have had that ready when you were in the queue? It's not rocket science. The cashier will be looking for payment to conclude the transaction. And sorry ladies but it's always you 99% of the time. Stupid doesn't even cover it.

When the M50 still had a toll plaza....
    In the queue for 5 minutes and only when it is their turn to pay, start looking for money.

The biscuit was once taken by some complete and utter ****tard who did above and then managed to **** half of the coins outside the basket instead of in it. Out of the car, on all fours picking up the coins.

That time i genuinely felt i should be allowed to get away with murder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

I was once on a flight through stormy weather with a LOT of turbulence, and when the pilot landed in Dublin, the folks in Business Class clapped.
    Why not? Hard to do ...why not applaud for a good job? they do for actors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Driving along the road, when some Audi or BMW driver overtakes you on a bend with a double white line and zooms off into the distance.

Two minutes later, you reach a set of traffic lights/ roundabout and hey presto that idiot who risked their life to get in front of you is in the exact same place they would have been had they not overtaken you.

Umkay here is one...when confronted with the recent news about NI lots of Irish Americans response is to speak medieval irish on twitter ...and only Irish. They think this has some relevance to the situation

Umkay here is one...when confronted with the recent news about NI lots of Irish Americans response is to speak medieval irish on twitter ...and only Irish. They think this has some relevance to the situation
    Like THAT is the issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Why not?

Like Fred, most business class travellers never clap. They are on a plane several times every month, the pilot takes off, he flies, he lands. Big deal.

When those people clap, it was a difficult landing.

Like Fred, most business class travellers never clap. They are on a plane several times every month, the pilot takes off, he flies, he lands. Big deal.

Plain snobbery = thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

thelad95 wrote: »
    Driving along the road, when some Audi or BMW driver overtakes you on a bend with a double white line and zooms off into the distance.

Two minutes later, you reach a set of traffic lights/ roundabout and hey presto that idiot who risked their life to get in front of you is in the exact same place they would have been had they not overtaken you.

Always saying that to my OH when some ignoramus is tailgating us and then roars past "Oh look, he/she has saved themselves five seconds!".

Snobs = Really thick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

It is usually the package holiday to the sun public that claps for the landing.

Any "normal" flight i have been on, there was no clapping for the landing.
    Nothing to do with business class or not.

inforfun wrote: »
    It is usually the package holiday to the sun public that claps for the landing.

Any "normal" flight i have been on, there was no clapping for the landing.
    Nothing to do with business class or not.
    Whenever I am on a plain the air hostess gives me crayons if i am a good girl!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭thomil

Victor wrote: »

Not every plane. But it's done with larger planes because (a) one of them might want to use the toilet and (b) one may become ill.

In addition, the workload during take-off and landing is often pretty high. Airspace around airports is usually pretty crowded, and not every aircraft may be equipped with a transponder, or have that switched on, so you have to keep a good lookout, and pay attention to any warnings from air traffic control. Add to that a sudden change in weather conditions, a change in the assigned runway, and soon, even a two man crew can be knee-deep in work.

That's why pilots usually split their tasks amongst each other during departure and prior to descent and landing. Usually, one pilot concentrates on operating the aircraft, while the other handles communications with ATC to get the required clearances. Also, the checklists in commercial airliners are designed around a two man crew.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I hadnt experienced plane clappers in many many years. I thought it was a thing of the past.

Germans love doing it. Every flight I have ever taken out of Germany since moving here, bar none, to any destination..... claps at the end. Even, on one occasion, when we arrived 3.5 hours later than scheduled. Sends a lovely message to the airline when you are THAT delayed, to clap and congratulate them for it on landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Germans love doing it. Every flight I have ever taken out of Germany since moving here, bar none, to any destination..... claps at the end. Even, on one occasion, when we arrived 3.5 hours later than scheduled. Sends a lovely message to the airline when you are THAT delayed, to clap and congratulate them for it on landing.

Clapping in the cinema too. Never witnessed it but I'm sure it happens. In saying that if Amhran na bhfiann comes on the TV I'll probably whist up if I hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Victor wrote: »
    Not every plane. But it's done with larger planes because (a) one of them might want to use the toilet and (b) one may become ill.
    Or (C) because there needs to be two people to deal with the workload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I hadnt experienced plane clappers in many many years.

Is that something you can catch from joining the Mile High Club?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Facebook is portal into the land of the dense. I have many good friends that once they were on FB revealed themselves as idiots. I find it hard to look at them as I once did.
    Facebook/Fakebook for idiots lot of pea brains live there.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I've got to say. I've never been on a plane where the passengers clapped the landing.

I remember a few kids clapping once on a transatlantic, but no-one joined in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

In Cork in the mid-90's, it became almost customary for people to have their multi channel boxes installed with a special chip device. Everyone had their boxes 'tapped'. This allowed the box to get additional premium subscription channels like Sky Sports, Sky Movies etc. All it cost was a £20 note slipped to the installer during the initial set up.

Cork Multi channel decided that enough was enough. They decided to invoke a sting operation.
    Initially, they encoded the frequency so that the image on the sub channels would be distorted every 5 seconds or so.
    The picture would go fuzzy for 5 seconds-go back to normal for 5 seconds-go fuzzy for 5 seconds etc etc
    While annoying it didn't result in the majority of people removing their chips.
    My dad, a self proclaimed intelligent man , wanted to ring to complain about the picture.
    He might as well have rang and told them "Hi, my tapped box isn't working".
    We persuaded him not to.

Subsequently, they realized that they could exploit both people's greed and their stupidity..
    So they got their technicians to encode the signal so that the offending boxes received a message on a particular channel every ten minutes of so. They took advantage of the upcoming World Cup in 1994 to catch people.

So a banner at the bottom of the screen read "FREE Ireland Jersey for all Subscribers - Ring CMC at 021-555 666"
    Only tapped boxes got the message.

Hundreds and thousands rang leaving their names and addresses.
    Not sure how much they were charged but I'm sure it involved a handsome penalty charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

In the queue for 5 minutes and only when it is their turn to pay, start looking for money.

The biscuit was once taken by some complete and utter ****tard who did above and then managed to **** half of the coins outside the basket instead of in it. Out of the car, on all fours picking up the coins.

That remind me of the feckers in the security queues at airports.

They can hear the message about removing their shoes, but they wait until they are actually at the point to start untying the 10 strong knot on their boots. :mad:
    thelad95 wrote: »

They are still ahead of you are they not ?

I am not allowed discuss …

I have 4000 friends on Facebook that is how tick people are in Ireland sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Working in a restaurant

"Would you like tea, or coffee?"

"Yes"

If only there was some kind test for this...

http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/practical-thick-client-application-penetration-testing-using-damn-vulnerable-thick-client-app-part-1/#gref
    Practical Thick Client Application Penetration Testing using Damn Vulnerable Thick Client App :introduction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Daledge wrote: »
    Working in a restaurant

"Would you like tea, or coffee?"

"Yes"

Or it's cinematic cousin

"Enjoy the movie"

"Thanks you too"

*I have been guilty of both. Especially the first when hungover

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Actually in the Spar where I get my lunch , there is a coffee or tea available for an extra 50c. with your roll/sambo. The lady at the deli bar makes the sambo and prints off the barcode depending on if you want a cuppa too. You then proceed to the coffee machine to make your drink and proceed to the checkout.

The funny thing is every day I watch the lady say after making the sambo " do you want tea or coffee" then the customer says " tea please" . She hands them the tinfoil package and they stand there like f-ing tools waiting for their drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I worked as a service engineer for an alarm company years ago and often got calls while " on call" from drunks asking if we knew thier alarm code and one peach rang one night asking if we knew where her keys were ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Facebook is portal into the land of the dense. I have many good friends that once they were on FB revealed themselves as idiots. I find it hard to look at them as I once did.

Quite a few Boardsies on there posting the most facepalm inducing nonsense one could imagine also... like this dope for example:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

A very high percentage of the Irish population believe rumors hearsay bad stuff about innocent people. The love to Judge people like they are Gods so for that reason there a lot of thick rotten people in Ireland all you have do is look at Facebook to see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'd like to think that Aeroplane drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Quite a few Boardsies on there posting the most facepalm inducing nonsense one could imagine also... like this dope for example:

Give you a laugh. I know that link and what it is meant to do as I was reading a discussion on whether a similar link could be used to obtain private information once. We thought in theory it could, but we eventually realized why it could not.

But a few moments ago someone tried it and it did not have the usual effect. Instead it directed them to the last profile that he was viewing which - comically - was mine.

So I just got a great message from a fellow boards user who was convinced you just "doxed" me :) How funny is that. I was momentarily ready to wage war on you :) So you got too eegits with one hit (however briefly) there :) before I noticed the link and want "Hang on.... I KNOW that number".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Murrisk wrote: »
    Saw someone on Facebook once who had shaved her head (and posted photos of same) "so I know what it feels like to have cancer". Rrriiiggght. And are you going to go through with the associated treatments too? Remove your eyelashes and eyebrows? Ya know, to really get the full experience. And does this mean that any man who decides to shave his head once he starts going bald also knows what it's like to have cancer? Wow, this head-shaving malarkey is multi-functional!

And of course, people were lavishing her with praise for her "bravery". What a slap in the face to anyone who has struggled through gruelling cancer treatments, especially anyone who is going to die from it anyway, despite getting medical attention. Muppet.
    At least when I did it, I raised €770 for a cancer charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

And they hardly fly it, it's all computer controlled now, so, well done computer for flying the plane
    Feck me, I just spent the last 40 days learning how to fly an aircraft and all I had to do was turn on the computer ! Wish that I knew that on day 1.

successful landing is a minor achievement for them
    Have you ever considered how much paperwork is involved for an unsuccessful landing? (resulting in a damaged aircraft)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Damn you!! Gets me every time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

smurfjed wrote: »
    Have you ever considered how much paperwork is involved for an unsuccessful landing? (resulting in a damaged aircraft)

Well, you don't need to do any paperwork if you manage to do a really successful unsuccessful landing :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI0Sw4eS1TE
    Big levers on your right. Do you see the thrust levers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm in this german-speaking chemtrails-group on facebook. These people....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    At least when I did it, I raised €770 for a cancer charity.

You must be a really good person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

"ooh look, the pilot managed to land the plane (as s/he has done hundreds and hundreds of times previously) lets all clap wildly"

Out of curiosity, do people boo when a plane crashed?

Do you clap at the end of a concert when a band manages to show up and carry out the same task they've been doing for years before? For some people, watching another person land a plane is as impressive as watching a guy using his voice to sing words. Not everyone, but for some it's a big deal. I say let them clap if they wanna clap. They're happy, the pilot is happy, it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Except the plane lands itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Years ago my sister in law said she doesn't mix the taps when running a bath because the cold water wastes money cooling down the hot water.She puts the hot in first and then the cold till it's just right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I remember on a bus in secondary school where a fella needed a place to throw his chewing gum. He kindof just stuck it in the hair of yer man sitting in front without thinking. Such was the whinging of the victim that he went to the effort to cut it out and say it was fine but his hair looked really lobsided and arseways.

A woman in work was telling me how she'd gone vegan, while buttering her bread and slurping a latte.

Still though, vegan. Except for fish. She still ate fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Candie wrote: »
    A woman in work was telling me how she'd gone vegan, while buttering her bread and slurping a latte.

Still though, vegan. Except for fish. She still ate fish.

Full vegan isn't the wisest either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

they are queuing to buy houses again in Ireland.

Except the plane lands itself
    Do you seriously believe this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

A fuse blew in my house today. I went into the supermarket to buy one, couldn't find them, so I asked one of the retail employees. I simply asked if they had any 16 amp fuses. The girl had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

Grand says I, she's just an airhead. I'll try the 24 hour shop up the road, they usually have stuff like that. Same story, the sales assistant hadn't a clue what a fuse was. Never heard of it.

I really worry about the fact that these people, and the ones who hired them, can vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

I know a lad who does that on purpose. For the craic like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

People buying and renting property from a website called "Daft"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

mzungu wrote: »
    Anti-Vaxxers.

Science deniers
    Climate Change deniers
    Holocaust deniers
    Trump supporters/voters
    Flat Earth theory believers
    Hollow Earth theory believers
    Hollow Moon theory believers
    People who support/vote for Jackie Healy-Rae and other gombeens
    People who support/vote for the Hard Left, and expect them to be able to effect change in the way the country is run, LOL
    President GW Bush
    President Trump

Advertisement