Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help, been harassed for 2 months..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MC212 wrote: »
    Ive obviously reported the channel impersonating me to YouTube via their oh so useful reporting tool, nothing has happened. Even if it was taken down, it would take literally a few minutes to put up a new one in its place.

And im not walking away from something ive sunk years into and have built a community with
    Start making youtube videos about youtube abuse. You could also make a case study out of your stalker, going over everything he does pulling apart all his shortcomings as a human being.

scamalert wrote: »
    so you get threats from people that fall for impersonator ? or person himself.

According to the first post on the thread itself - it is both.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MC212

How serious are the internet death threats, on a scale from Eric Cartman to Liam Neeson?

Theyre not all from the guy thats at me, theyre from people who've been racially abused by the account impersonating me or in more cases (at least where the death threats are concerned), their fans. The threats from them dont bother me too much because I know they've been mislead.

The messages I get go something along the lines of "youre a f-ing racist, if you say one more thing about *so and so youtuber* i will slit your throat in your sleep" etc. Thats one thing he likes to do too, he makes other accounts and comments something like "I saw what you did on that video, you are a filthy racist!" Just to try make people dropping in think that I said or did something racist or whatever. You can easily tell its him though he has this really odd way of phrasing sentences that he adopts under every channel he comments using.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Start making youtube videos about youtube abuse. You could also make a case study out of your stalker, going over everything he does pulling apart all his shortcomings as a human being.

I've thought about that but I think that would just fuel him even further. Mind you ignoring it hasnt done me much good..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭GBX

So hes abusing people on his own version of your channel but they are replying via your channel? or through his at you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Have you considered closing up your channel? Is hassle from the internet worth spilling over into real life?

Many narcissists rather die than give up their self indulgent vanity projects online.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Theyre not from the guy thats at me, theyre from people who've been racially abused by the account impersonating me or in more cases (at least where the death threats are concerned), their fans. The threats from them dont bother me too much because I know they've been mislead.

The messages I get go something along the lines of "youre a f-ing racist, if you say one more thing about *so and so youtuber* i will slit your throat in your sleep" etc.

Are these in the comments? Can you disable comments and write in the blurb that they are disabled due to persistent abuse due to impersonation?

GBX wrote: »
    So hes abusing people on his own version of your channel but they are replying via your channel? or through his at you?

He has made an account identical to mine and uses that to abuse people. On the account he has made he has a message up saying "this is my alternate channel, check out my main channel with all the vids where im always on it" and then links my own channel. People who have been abused then go to my channel and leave their comments or threats, message me or report me, thinking that I left the racial abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Are these in the comments? Can you disable comments and write in the blurb that they are disabled due to persistent abuse due to impersonation?

Tried that for the best part of a month, didnt make much difference. May try it again, I dunno..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If it was me I'd just ignore it. Maybe do a video about how you're being trolled online and the content of what's happening and then leave it at that. When you get anxious and defensive, that is the trolls oxygen. They live to see you sweat and to hear you mention them. The more you try and address this, the more attention you bring to it and the worse it may get for you. Just ignore it and they'll eventually get bored and it'll stop.
    The Guards can only do so much. They can't stop the person setting up another account and impersonating you that way.

....... wrote: »

I would love to. If I could find his main channel (the one he uses personally when hes not at me) then I could more than likely find out who it is. I dont know if I could find an IP for one of the throwaway channels he makes to mass-dislike one of my vids or leave comments.

anna080 wrote: »
    When you get anxious and defensive, that is the trolls oxygen. They live to see you sweat and to hear you mention them. The more you try and address this, the more attention you bring to it and the worse it may get for you.

Wouldn't making a video about the troll be doing just that though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭GBX

He has made an account identical to mine and uses that to abuse people. On the account he has made he has a message up saying "this is my alternate channel, check out my main channel with all the vids where im always on it" and then links my own channel. People who have been abused then go to my channel and leave their comments or threats, message me or report me, thinking that I left the racial abuse.

Fair enough, wasnt sure what way it was done.

Obviously you dont want to detract from your own channel but can you put any sort of message with some sort of warning about impersonators etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

OP

Can we have the link to your channel please?
    I'd like to see the comments

That is if you don't mind.

Ignore

Didn't see this:
    Don't do this.

If you want you can PM me.

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

GBX wrote: »
    Fair enough, wasnt sure what way it was done.

Obviously you dont want to detract from your own channel but can you put any sort of message with some sort of warning about impersonators etc?

Tried that for a while, didnt make much difference, may try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Wouldn't making a video about the troll be doing just that though?

The point of the video would be more to let the people accusing you of being racist know what's going on. You could make a point of saying that this is the last time you're going to address it and won't be mentioning it again. At least when you're impersonator directs people to your channel the commenters will see the video where you address what's going on and they'll know it's not you saying those things.
    You can pin tweets on Twitter so they stay at the top of your content. Maybe have a link to the video there too.

....... wrote: »

I consider myself somewhat IT literate but perhaps out of date with modern systems as I did my IT Degree in the early 2000s. But I am genuinely unsure how you would go about obtaining the IP address of a You Tube user?

If they _email_ you sure, you have all the header information of the email including the originating IP address of the email.

But on you tube there is no such information shared with the end user, or? Please correct me if I am wrong here as I plead genuine ignorance! But I would have assumed until today that the only people who have access to the IP address of people posting videos or comments on you tube _is_ you tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I would love to. If I could find his main channel (the one he uses personally when hes not at me) then I could more than likely find out who it is. I dont know if I could find an IP for one of the throwaway channels he makes to mass-dislike one of my vids or leave comments.
    Can you find an ipaddress of a YouTube user? I think only YouTube would have access to that. You would have to petition them for it and i doubt they'd give them out without being forced to comply with the police.

Have they ever sent you an email?

Definitely sounds like someone who knows you. If you ignore it long enough they might get bored.

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    The point of the video would be more to let the people accusing you of being racist know what's going on. You could make a point of saying that this is the last time you're going to address it and won't be mentioning it again. At least when you're impersonator directs people to your channel the commenters will see the video where you address what's going on.

I may go back to turning off comments/ratings and leaving a post briefly explaining it, I think making a whole vid might play into what he wants, feeding the troll and the like.

Hrududu wrote: »
    Can you find an ipaddress of a YouTube user? I think only YouTube would have access to that. You would have to petition them for it and i doubt they'd give them out without being forced to comply with the police.

Have they ever sent you an email?

Definitely sounds like someone who knows you. If you ignore it long enough they might get bored.

I would LOVE it if they personally emailed or Skyped me, would make thing so much easier in finding them.
    And ive more or less ignored it for 2 months, hes still going. They must know me IRL..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

I'd go with one of the following tactics;

(1) Drop you channel for a couple of months, go do that thing you're always promising to do but never get round to. Come back after, pest will have moved on to other troubles.

(2) Completely ignore and continue as normal, make like their games are having absolutely 0.000% affect. They'll change their game, maybe take a few risks to finally get a result - thats when they slip up.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

When a new user account is created, various information is supplied by the user, and some, like ip address, would also be recorded by the site.

You'll have to lodge a complaint and let youtube handle it. It's unlikely that your nemisis has covered his tracks with anything bar a different username.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Am I the only one who want so follow MC212 on Youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Only google/youtube can do this - to be honest it wold not be difficult for them to do it but they can not share this information with you - however if you go through the guards they can request it - the problem is convincing the guards that this is important enough for them to investigate.

On the impersonation thing - can you put up like a sticky video on your channel explaining whats going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭munster87

On your YouTube channel make sure you state that you don't have alternate channels and if someone got to your channel from one of these then it is a fake channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Without being too nosy, and it's only relevant to the type of advice you might get ....How many subscribers do you roughly have?

I mean - are you talking:

0-10,000
    10,000 - 50,000
    50,000 - 200,000

Or bigger?

With due respect, if the subscribers total was in the 1st or 2nd category, is it really worth the hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Got 1 little idea. Might help just a little bit. Not promising much.

Perhaps youtube channels have an analytics panel - an area which gives you stats on your channels performance. This panel may list geographic audience statistics.

If you have such a facility you could possibly pick out where the troll is from.
    through a little bit of deduction work.

just say the troll is from aus.
    your channel is getting lots of hits from uk, usa, ireland for 29 days of the month.
    then suddenly trolling comments appear and coincide with a spike in audience numbers from aus.

if that happens 3 or 4 times you can be pretty sure of trolls location.

you can go down to city and town level in google analytics for measuring audience, so maybe the same in youtube.

if you also had ways to restrict audiences to countries, which is possible for websites iirc, then you could really speed up the process and know for certain.

you'd just choose; no viewers allowed from outside ireland....1 month in, no troll.
    then change it to; no viewers allowed from outside ireland and uk ... 1 week in troll appears. Now you can deduce trolls probable location.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801947?hl=en

Seems they have a procedure for this.

Ive used the report tool (first link) about 5 times, nothing has been done. Plus if they did get shut down it would take literally a few minutes to set up another channel on their account.

Havent tried the second one though so thanks!

Advertisement