Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inquiry into potential LC exam security breach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

clunked wrote: »
    Somebody is in trouble. I'd be suprised if it is an experienced supervisor.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2017/0613/882439-leaving-cert/

Doesn't seem to be many of them this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

What a stupid thing to do. Perhaps they thought it would be ok since candidates could leave after 10 and no new candidates could enter after that time. Either way, incredibly foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

What a stupid thing to do. Perhaps they thought it would be ok since candidates could leave after 10 and no new candidates could enter after that time. Either way, incredibly foolish.

After 30 you mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

CWF wrote: »
    After 30 you mean

I mean after 10am. Since the exam started at 9.30 and the photo was apparently uploaded after 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It makes you realise that when a teacher is at the door wanting a peek at the exam and you're being genuine giving it out. So easy for something to make the news regarding the LC or JC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

TheDriver wrote: »
    It makes you realise that when a teacher is at the door wanting a peek at the exam and you're being genuine giving it out. So easy for something to make the news regarding the LC or JC

Jeez couldn't they at least wait till after the exam.
    Happened in a closed page on Facebook though. I wonder will they get a whipping boy out for public sacrifice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Jeez couldn't they at least wait till after the exam.
    Happened in a closed page on Facebook though. I wonder will they get a whipping boy out for public sacrifice.

Just shows you they are monitoring online closeky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just shows you they are monitoring online closeky

I'd say someone from the page dobbed them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bean Scoile

My guess is that it was someone who was doing reader and their candidate left at 10. I can't imagine how else it could have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Could anyone really have benifeted from it though ??

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »

Only teachers who were dying to find out what came up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

"It said the exam would not have been compromised for students sitting it."

Until one of the students have one of these and someone on the outside with access to the closed facebook group :

tiny earpiece 101

2jxRAkw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

My guess is that it was someone who was doing reader and their candidate left at 10. I can't imagine how else it could have happened.

Or they were just brazen enough to bring a phone into the special centre with them, take photos and upload. Nothing would surprise me these days.

Or they were just brazen enough to bring a phone into the special centre with them, take photos and upload. Nothing would surprise me these days.

Well that would be particularly naive, but wouldn't surprise me either.

I'm sure whoever reported them screenshot it so the sec will know exactly who it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I know they are saying this wasn't a superintendent who leaked the paper, but in my experience, new superintendents are not given enough training for the position and superintendents of separate centres are given none at all unless they are lucky enough to have a decent SNA coordinator, but still, nothing from the department at all. I would bet that the person who did this had no idea that they were doing anything wrong.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I know they are saying this wasn't a superintendent who leaked the paper, but in my experience, new superintendents are not given enough training for the position and superintendents of separate centres are given none at all unless they are lucky enough to have a decent SNA coordinator, but still, nothing from the department at all. I would bet that the person who did this had no idea that they were doing anything wrong.

Presumably if they are a member of an Irish teachers group, and also in a school with access to an exam paper on the morning of the exam, they are a qualified Irish teacher. You'd have to be living under a rock to not be aware of the security surrounding the LC exams every year and anyone who is teaching will be old enough to remember the debacle with the English paper in 2009.

Any teacher with more than two brain cells should have enough cop not to post a paper online during an exam, whether they are a superintendent of an exam, a teacher who got the paper from a superintendent, or a teacher who was supervising in a special centre. In two of those cases they would have most likely been in the centre with their phone. I don't think lack of training is an excuse for being an utter tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Presumably if they are a member of an Irish teachers group, and also in a school with access to an exam paper on the morning of the exam, they are a qualified Irish teacher. You'd have to be living under a rock to not be aware of the security surrounding the LC exams every year and anyone who is teaching will be old enough to remember the debacle with the English paper in 2009.

Any teacher with more than two brain cells should have enough cop not to post a paper online during an exam, whether they are a superintendent of an exam, a teacher who got the paper from a superintendent, or a teacher who was supervising in a special centre. In two of those cases they would have most likely been in the centre with their phone. I don't think lack of training is an excuse for being an utter tool.

They shouldn't post it up online, no. But my point is that anyone can act as superintendent in a separate centre, including a college student. Also, it was a resource share group for Irish teachers. Wouldn't say every member of a facebook group is asked for a copy of their transcripts. If it was Irish teachers association then maybe.

Also, you say that anyone with two brain cells should know not to post a paper online during an exam. I agree with you 100%. Yet this person did it. This same person was given custody of the papers by SEC. That shouldn't happen. It's a tough one for the SEC because they need to take those who apply as there aren't enough numbers for them to have a set of criteria to meet. They can't interview us all and reference letters from principals wouldn't be worth the paper they're written on, so I think the very least they could do is up the training. It might not be an excuse for being a tool, but what else can one expect if they don't train people sufficiently?

What is the 2009 debacle? Is this where the incorrect envelope of papers were opened and paper 2 had to be sat on a Saturday? If so, that is an entirely different situation and has nothing in common with what happened today.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    They shouldn't post it up online, no. But my point is that anyone can act as superintendent in a separate centre, including a college student. Also, it was a resource share group for Irish teachers. Wouldn't say every member of a facebook group is asked for a copy of their transcripts. If it was Irish teachers association then maybe.

Also, you say that anyone with two brain cells should know not to post a paper online during an exam. I agree with you 100%. Yet this person did it. This same person was given custody of the papers by SEC. That shouldn't happen. It's a tough one for the SEC because they need to take those who apply as there aren't enough numbers for them to have a set of criteria to meet. They can't interview us all and reference letters from principals wouldn't be worth the paper they're written on, so I think the very least they could do is up the training. It might not be an excuse for being a tool, but what else can one expect if they don't train people sufficiently?

What is the 2009 debacle? Is this where the incorrect envelope of papers were opened and paper 2 had to be sat on a Saturday? If so, that is an entirely different situation and has nothing in common with what happened today.

While it was a different scenario, the SEC discovered the error because the information about Paper 2 was posted on twitter by a student. The point I'm making is posting information about an exam in progress (or given out in error) is a big no-no.

From what was reported, it was a resource group with 3000 members. Quite a large 'private' group. All of those teachers would have had access to the paper after the exam was finished, and the exams are put up online by the SEC at 7pm every evening.

The vast majority of people working in special centres in my experience are already working in some capacity within the education system. I'm not sure how much training a person needs in this country to have to be told 'do not take photos of an exam and post them online while the exam is in progress'. There comes a point where an adult has to take personal responsibility for their actions rather than blaming everyone else. The LC gets massive coverage every year for almost the entire month of June in our national media, it's impossible not to know it's going on and the importance attached to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Red F Warrior

_Brian wrote:

No. Latecomers are only allowed in no more than 20 minutes after the exam has started and anyone leaving is only allowed to, 30 minutes after the exam has started.

As this was released 30 minutes after the exam has started all students would have been in their centres and any that weren't would not have been allowed in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All you need is another Superintendent not sticking to the rules by (say) letting someone in after the thirty minute deadline and you have a right mess. The rules are there for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

It literally matters 0%.

It wasn't leaked in enough time for a single person to benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Spiro66

The point is that nobody on the outside should have a copy of the exam during the duration of the exam to prevent the possibility of secret communication via a hidden electronic device. Someone on the outside could be sending answers in to an earpiece or iwatch for example. All seems unlikely but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

Are exam supervisors allowed to be on their phones during the exam? Mine was sitting down the back on his phone and took a fair bit of attention and time to get more paper off him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

aon1998 wrote: »
    Are exam supervisors allowed to be on their phones during the exam? Mine was sitting down the back on his phone and took a fair bit of attention and time to get more paper off him.

No they shouldn't be.
    If he was in my school I wouldn't be long reporting him. Plenty other people who will do the job properly.

I realise it is a very boring job, having done it in the past, but people know that when they are signing up for it. You having to wait for paper is disgraceful.

Would it be worth reporting it? I don't want to get him in serious trouble or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Would it be worth reporting it? I don't want to get him in serious trouble or anything.

Well if you report it, he will be serious trouble. I would just let it go. You weren't half your exam waiting for paper or anything. And at the end of the day, the guidelines state that candidates should have enough paper on the exam paper and extra paper should only be issued IF the candidate has ran out of paper. You should try sitting for up to three hours with nothing to do, it's only natural that the superintendent would have had a small look at his phone but not for long periods. I know he was not meant to but put yourself in his shoes. I'm not in the least condoning it though.

Well if you report it, he will be serious trouble. I would just let it go. You weren't half your exam waiting for paper or anything. And at the end of the day, the guidelines state that candidates should have enough paper on the exam paper and extra paper should only be issued IF the candidate has ran out of paper. You should try sitting for up to three hours with nothing to do, it's only natural that the superintendent would have had a small look at his phone but not for long periods. I know he was not meant to but put yourself in his shoes. I'm not in the least condoning it though.

How do you know it was only a small look. A candidate is entitled to ask for extra paper and some papers are Cert tight for time. Leaving them sitting there because the supervisor can't be arsed doing their job is not good enough.

We don't have to put ourselves in his shoes. He shouldn't be on his phone. If he's not supervising students, it allows an opportunity for cheating to occur. It delays students getting paper. It's a very simple job and anyone who is not able to stay off their phone for three hours while they supervise an exam is an idiot

He went down the back at the start of the exam and anytime I looked back he was on the phone. You're literally writing until the last second in the business exam so I was kinda annoyed at him. If he didn't want to sit there for three hours then he should not of signed up for the position.

He went down the back at the start of the exam and anytime I looked back he was on the phone. You're literally writing until the last second in the business exam so I was kinda annoyed at him. If he didn't want to sit there for three hours then he should not of signed up for the position.

He shouldn't have been at the back of the room because that wasted time if a student wanted something as he had to go to student, back to table for whatever and back to student.

• Advertisement

How do you know it was only a small look. A candidate is entitled to ask for extra paper and some papers are Cert tight for time. Leaving them sitting there because the supervisor can't be arsed doing their job is not good enough.

We don't have to put ourselves in his shoes. He shouldn't be on his phone. If he's not supervising students, it allows an opportunity for cheating to occur. It delays students getting paper. It's a very simple job and anyone who is not able to stay off their phone for three hours while they supervise an exam is an idiot

Well it was obviously more than a small look according to the annoyed poster which isn't on.

Advertisement