Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 6900K or R7 1800x help!!!

Options
  • 13-06-2017 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently picking parts for my new build. Enjoying it so far, Picking a custom case, motherboard, etc.

But I just cannot decide on the two chips.

Can I have an honest answer as I'm torn between my new build.

I can get the I7 6900K or the AMD R7 1800x

If price were not an issue which would you honestly go for?

This will be my machine for next six years and be ultra gaming, vive and 4k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I'd be waiting for Skylake-X (and Threadripper) to land rather then grabbing either right now unless I'd no choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

minitrue wrote: »
    I'd be waiting for Skylake-X (and Threadripper) to land rather then grabbing either right now unless I'd no choice.

no real choice. Current system is fecked. And without my gaming....

No gaming and no web make Valeyard, something something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Clocks basically the same as an 1800X for way less money.

If it has to be one of those two though, absolutely the 1800X.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For gaming/general web use?

R5-1600 on B350 or X370 board.

For actual productivity, R7-1700 / 1700X if you are willing to overclock. 1800X if you want everything stock.

I'm don't think i7-6900k is worth the premium unless you specifically know which programs could get you back the €500 difference in render speed (assuming it wins any benchmarks here).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    For gaming/general web use?

R5-1600 on B350 or X370 board.

For actual productivity, R7-1700 / 1700X if you are willing to overclock. 1800X if you want everything stock.

I'm don't think i7-6900k is worth the premium unless you specifically know which programs could get you back the €500 difference in render speed (assuming it wins any benchmarks here).

Be for Both

Massive gamer and use two screens. One for gaming, other for netflix, web browsing, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Neither to be honest.

For just gaming, a 7700K is currently the best CPU by a decent a margin, followed then by something like an R5-1600.

6900K or 1800X is really flushing money away for purely games. The GPU is way more important and will be for the next 6 years if you chose either the 7700k or 1600.

An i7-2600 from 2011 is still capable of playing the latest games at ultra settings with a good GPU, as a yardstick.

I'd personally take a 7700K with GTX1080Ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I'd go with a amd a4+ chip anyway anyway as you've a clear upgrade path for the next 4 years. 6900k has no upgrade path

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If they are just 1080p screens, just get a 1700 and overclock it. Put the extra money into one or two graphics card upgrades over the next year or two.

I just can't see the 7700K cutting it for much longer, the industry is finally starting to move past 8 threads and their are games out right now that strain all cores of the 7700K.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

vive and 4k are far from "just 1080p screens"

Cheers for the advice so far.

Ill be honest I am very tempted just to buy an Alienware R6 like my mate did, with the sale now on. Or even for for the Area51.

But ill probably just build it myself. Was also checking out dragonflair.com Not sure if anyone has experience with them?

• Advertisement

well if your gaming at higher than 1080p resolutions, choice of cpu matters even less so long as youve a good gpu as that then becomes the bottleneck and not the cpu. i have a 6700k myself and im going to see how threadripper pans out which i might then upgrade to. Cant see any good reason for going intel at the moment to be honest, most of their cpu's are overpriced and i think they dont have a clue what to do in answer to amd's new stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

have you thought of buying a second hand rig for a month or 2?

The 6900k is probably massively over priced at the moment and the Core i7 7820X which should be out in the month and a bit has higher clock speeds at probably a lower price point and that is just keeping with 8 cores. This really is the worst possible time in the last number of years to be buying a top of the line CPU.

cheers for the help everyone. It honestly does help and makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Back in 2012 when I was building my own rig, most were using intel processors, & I was told that an i7 didn't provide any real advantage over an i5 for a gaming PC (barring its slightly higher clock speed).

So at the (Ivybridge - 3rd gen) time I chose the i5-3570 instead of the i7-3770 (which saved me about €100 IIRC).

These days, for 1440 and above, does having an i7 make a big difference?

Also, is the Ryzen R5 1600X broadly similar in performance to the i5-7600k ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 1600X is a little slower than the i5-7600 in most games but tends to have better minimums in some which is also important. Overall it is a much better buy.

With regards the i5 v i7...depends on the game. Something like BF1 online would benefit a lot from the 3770 over the 3570. Better average and minimum frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Really though I'd say if you have something like a gtx 1070 or 1080 there won't be much noticeable difference between the two :)

Well you said you'll be gaming at 4k, so the only bottleneck will be the GPU

Advertisement