Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[B] Unequal pay - What to do? [/B]

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

It's not enforceable.

What makes you think this?

The employer cannot stop employees from discussing payrates, but what is to stop them acting on it once they are informed? If it's in the contract of employment and is clearly stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

probably because a company contract cannot trump state law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

probably because a company contract cannot trump state law?

Which law would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i don't know hence the question mark. is it really possible to prevent someone disclosing their salary to someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

i don't know hence the question mark. is it really possible to prevent someone disclosing their salary to someone else?

In the UK they brought a law in this year banning "salary secrecy" clauses...it's a human rights law. I thought this was the case in Ireland too but apparently not (so I stand corrected). There's nothing to stop an employer putting such a clause in a contract. I can't imagine anything further than a warning to an employee for a breach would be upheld.

• Advertisement
Advertisement