Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prevent external alarm from ringing

Options
  • 13-06-2017 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

We have a HKC alarm, there seems to be an issue with one sensor in our sitting room. We also have an issue with one neighbour getting quite upset understandably.

Is there anyway to either prevent the external bell from ringing or to turn off the sensor in question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

hairyslug wrote: »
    We have a HKC alarm, there seems to be an issue with one sensor in our sitting room. We also have an issue with one neighbour getting quite upset understandably.

Is there anyway to either prevent the external bell from ringing or to turn off the sensor in question.

Bypass the zone when arming use the zone number
    Code * "zone no" yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Would you not get an engineer out and fix it properly?

I have a neighbour with an alarm that goes off all the time and they tend to go away for weeks at a time. As I work from home it's a real pain. I've considered writing a polite note, tying it to a brick and lobbing it through their window to get their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

stimpson wrote: »
    Would you not get an engineer out and fix it properly?

I have a neighbour with an alarm that goes off all the time and they tend to go away for weeks at a time. As I work from home it's a real pain. I've considered writing a polite note, tying it to a brick and lobbing it through their window to get their attention.

We get a little notes everytime, with one person she has the guts to sign off on that, the other wont. Anyway, engineer is on a list of to dos, just need a short term fix to get us through to the end of next week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could inhibit it each time or open the PIR and short out the terminals marked NC.
    If you get stuck put up a picture and I'll help you with it.

I'm about as technically minded as my 2 dogs.

I have covered up the sensor in the room in question and it seems to have done the trick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If covering the sensor is stopping the false alarms its possible there could be something in the area activating it.

I posted here a few weeks ago and someone told me to look out for spiders, got that sorted it just seems very sensitive compared to other sensors around the house, the slightest move sets it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

hairyslug wrote: »
    I posted here a few weeks ago and someone told me to look out for spiders, got that sorted it just seems very sensitive compared to other sensors around the house, the slightest move sets it off.

Then I'd recommend changing it to a Duel-Tec PIR which will stop silly false alarms.

Had blocked off the sensor last night, had the kids play in the room with the dodgy sensor and all seemed good, nothing was being activated.
    Left today, turned on the alarm, waited outside for a few minutes, all seemed good, came home to a note pinned to our door.
    The alarm wasn't ringing but there was a notification on the panel to say the same sensor had triggered.
    Presuming it is definitely a faulty sensor, does the alarm turn off after a while, including the indoors alarm.
    Service has been organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yes. Modern standards stipulate both bells shut off after 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement