Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to apply for Carers Allowance

Options
  • 13-06-2017 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

I about the hand in my notice to be a full time carer for my Mum. My work will not grant me Carer's Leave to Carers Allowance seems the way to go.

Any advise before I send in the form. I assume I'll get it as it will be a sole income initially.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Have you looked at carers benefit?

It's not based on income it's based on if the assessor decided the person is in need of full time care and attention. A lot of it is down to the doctors part of the forms and other information sent in.

Be prepared it can take quite a while too though I hear they are speeding it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MacLav

I wanted to apply for Carers Benefit, but phoned the dept and they said that I had to get Carers leave to get approved for Carers Benefit. My work is holding me to 6 weeks notice and even then were doubtful they would keep my job open for me. At the moment they are letting me work from home most of the day, but they is only short term.

As it will be my only income I thought it would be best to apply for the allowance instead. My Mum has had Parkinson's for 17 yrs and I have been gradually caring for her more and more over the years. I moved home and job to be with her overnight January 2016 but it is now clear that I need to be here full time. If my job was 5 mins drive I probably could work with a little understanding, but it is 30 mins drive away is too far to pop in during the day or come home if she fell. That way I can bit home with Mum full time in 2 weeks rather than 6.

I naively thought it would not be complicated but reading through other posts I'm now worried, even though I'm legit.

But thank you for your post. Much appreciated.

Advertisement