Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

depression

• 13-06-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi everyone I wasn't sure where to put this hope this is the right place , I wake up every morning wishing I was dead because I'm nearly 30 have no car, suffer from depression and don't know what to do, has anyone any advice or suggestions what I could do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JanScott

There are a few options you can try. Short-term if you need help functioning day to day, you could try an antidepressant like Cymbalta or Prozac. See a GP who can guide you towards getting a prescription, though these things take a bit to kick in (for me it was a couple weeks when I was on it for the same thing). Cymbalta worked wonders for me when I was suicidal some years ago. It helped me get through that period and function enough to seek longer term help.

When things get overwhelming it helps if you have someone nearby that you trust and can rely on. If there's no-one, you can call a place like Samaritans or Pieta House. I've had positive experiences with Pieta House and sometimes it's nice just to talk to someone non-judgemental until the crisis has passed.

You do want to get to the root cause of what's making you feel this way, though... Therapy is one option (with a psychotherapist, not a counselor/guru), but it can be expensive (I heard of people paying anything from 55€ to 80€ per session). You mention having no car - why is that affecting you so much? What else is there that's bothering you?

Hope all of the above helps... There IS life after depression. It's hard work to get there, but it can be done. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Sucks balls man. Go have a chat with your GP. You'll hear that from people ad nauseam but its the first port of call. If the GP doesn't get you an apt with someone in under a week then sort it yourself (realistically that wont happen so you'll need to enlist a buddy or family member which will be tough enough for you to do). Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭LimerickSports

JanScott wrote: »
    There are a few options you can try. Short-term if you need help functioning day to day, you could try an antidepressant like Cymbalta or Prozac. See a GP who can guide you towards getting a prescription, though these things take a bit to kick in (for me it was a couple weeks when I was on it for the same thing). Cymbalta worked wonders for me when I was suicidal some years ago. It helped me get through that period and function enough to seek longer term help.

When things get overwhelming it helps if you have someone nearby that you trust and can rely on. If there's no-one, you can call a place like Samaritans or Pieta House. I've had positive experiences with Pieta House and sometimes it's nice just to talk to someone non-judgemental until the crisis has passed.

You do want to get to the root cause of what's making you feel this way, though... Therapy is one option (with a psychotherapist, not a counselor/guru), but it can be expensive (I heard of people paying anything from 55€ to 80€ per session). You mention having no car - why is that affecting you so much? What else is there that's bothering you?

Hope all of the above helps... There IS life after depression. It's hard work to get there, but it can be done. Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it, I went to the doctor today and she prescribed me lexipro, I have been on this before and it has worked well for me , I shouldn't have giving it up in the first place but atleast now I'm going back on it after a few very tough months without it. Lexipro works for anxiety and depression and I have both of them. I can't get up and function normally which makes me more depressed , I know if I did sports and tried other positive things it would help but my anxiety and depression makes it almost impossible. Its nice to know I'm not alone and you have similiar situations in the past. It's not so much not having a car that gets me down its more to do with feeling like a failure , worrying that ill never get a good job and be able to buy a car and do the things normal people do, I feel ashamed because all my family went to college and have good careers, I hate that I've always had mental health problems and don't know what to do with my life , I've always tried to do well and I have Done a lot of fetac courses but have no degree , and find most places look for degrees. I have just been feeling like I'd be better off dead because I feel sometimes things won't work out and ill be miserable forever, but I'm glad I made the first step on going back to taking medication and I hope In a few weeks ill be able to function better. I would love to go to a psychotherapist but I wouldn't be able to afford it, I feel the root cause could be from ptsd, been bullied, and other things like that. I have been depressed since about 12 and thought of suicide at that age due to ptsd and other issues related

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

Well done on getting the medication sorted. Also explore that idea of dealing with the past issues like the bullying that must have been terrible it probably would be a good idea to talk to a professional.
    Honestly even with degrees people find it hard to get work life is not easy but you are doing great & taking the brave steps in getting your life on track again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

Best of luck. Listen to this for some perspective on medications and finding your own paths and solutions. she is a doctor and has good ideas and is worth listening to whether you agree or not. It's long but good.

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/kelly-brogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

There are very low cost and free counselling services available widespread. Check with your Dr and check notice boards etc tf too.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JanScott

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it, I went to the doctor today and she prescribed me lexipro, I have been on this before and it has worked well for me , I shouldn't have giving it up in the first place but atleast now I'm going back on it after a few very tough months without it. Lexipro works for anxiety and depression and I have both of them. I can't get up and function normally which makes me more depressed , I know if I did sports and tried other positive things it would help but my anxiety and depression makes it almost impossible. Its nice to know I'm not alone and you have similiar situations in the past. It's not so much not having a car that gets me down its more to do with feeling like a failure , worrying that ill never get a good job and be able to buy a car and do the things normal people do, I feel ashamed because all my family went to college and have good careers, I hate that I've always had mental health problems and don't know what to do with my life , I've always tried to do well and I have Done a lot of fetac courses but have no degree , and find most places look for degrees. I have just been feeling like I'd be better off dead because I feel sometimes things won't work out and ill be miserable forever, but I'm glad I made the first step on going back to taking medication and I hope In a few weeks ill be able to function better. I would love to go to a psychotherapist but I wouldn't be able to afford it, I feel the root cause could be from ptsd, been bullied, and other things like that. I have been depressed since about 12 and thought of suicide at that age due to ptsd and other issues related

I hope the Lexipro helps get you through this period and you feel better soon! You're right, this is an important first step. Once you feel better you can start looking at other small bits you can do, and maybe find some free counseling to help you with the PTSD and anxiety.

As for your career... I know it seems that society has it set in stone you must do X by the time you're Y years old, but in practice it rarely works like that. (Heck, I had my first "real" job at 27 and my first actually decent job just last year at 29, and it was all part-time bits and pieces until then). I know it's difficult but try not to mind the people around you - you have your own life and your own path and things won't stay this way forever.

Here's a thought, some companies offer internships where what you can do matters more than a piece of paper, but getting your foot in the door is the hardest part. It all depends on what you studied, of course. Which subjects did you do your courses in? More importantly what are you interested in or feel you'd be good at?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭LimerickSports

hey guys , sorry for the late reply, thanks janscott, i have been taking the lexipro just for 3 days now, and begining to feel a little better, the weather is really nice today and walking around town felt good, i havent felt like myself in a long time, and when i was around town today i felt a bit of the old me was there. depression and anxiety are horrible things and caused me to hate myself and hate life, i was able to see the beauty again in life even for a short moment, it can be hard been alone and seen other people with living their own lives, working, in a relationship, doing different things, and i am just walking around on my own, with no life at the moment, but I know i can have one, thats all i want, i just want to be happy again, to laugh, and be content, i know there is alot of beauty in life and its not over for me, i just need to keep faith in myself and my abilities and realise im not worthless and still have things to offer,. im really hoping to go back and study social care, ive been torn between doing something in construction which i know i would also enjoy or social care. its a tough decision but i think ill go for the social care. i feel a bit too old to start an apprenticeship in construction work, i know thats just another insecurity but its just how i feel. i think ill do the 4 year course in social care. and try get some employment in that area, if for some reason or other it doesnt work out, well then im back to square one, and can decide to get into construction or something else then. im more of a creative and artistic person than social, but i feel realistic and artistic people are needed in social care aswell, i feel everyday in a social care environment will be different which is good for a creative and realistic person, creative events are also very good for people with special needs, and id enjoy organising and doing art with these people. anyway i think doing the social care will be good for my confidence, and be a massive back up plan. i feel having a degree under my belt will be valuable for me in my future life, and this is my last chance to get one. i know i wont have money for the next 4 years and will be working hard on assignments, but i just need to have faith that its an investment. while im in college i hope to discover more about my interests, maybe i can take up woodwork and music production which are two things i love, but have decided not to get a career in, i know id love to work as a cabinet maker or a carpenter but like i said, im going to do the social care course while i have the oppurtunity, and hopefully be able to woodwork as a hobby and maybe even be able to make a small profit from things i make

Advertisement