Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fit 3 speed hub (and shifter) to "vintage" raleigh

Options
  • 13-06-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Hi

Has anyone fitted a 3 speed hub to an old raleigh , bought the missus one for Christmas but its a heavy bike and up hill is a bit of a a struggle.

Was thinking of fitting a 3 speed hub to the wheel.

I'm handy enough fixing my own bike but will this be a challenge too far? Was looking at a sturmey archer to fit the look.

http://www.highnelly.ie/sturmey-archer-3-speed-hub-and-fitting-kit.html

would changing the sprocket only on the fixed speed be a quicker/cheaper/easier fix.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

It's not a difficult job, but you mentioned "fitting a 3 speed hub to the wheel", which wouldn't be worth doing - buy a new wheel with a SA 3-speed hub in it already - if you take apart the existing single-speed wheel, you'll need shorter spokes anyway, so the only thing that you'll end up reusing will be the rim. (If you do fancy building a new wheel, buy a rim/spokes and keep/sell the existing one).

If you do buy a new wheel, fitting it and the cable/changer is pretty easy, once you use the (supplied) locking washers to prevent the axle rotating in the dropouts. The only other thing to remember is that, with flats on the axle, it is possibly to (and important not to) mis-thread the axle nuts, damaging the threads in the nut.

You could change the existing single speed sprocket for a bigger one, but your missus may run out of pedalling speed - depends on her average cadence and her local riding conditions (other than uphills).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

eoinf wrote: »
    Hi

Has anyone fitted a 3 speed hub to an old raleigh , bought the missus one for Christmas but its a heavy bike and up hill is a bit of a a struggle.

Was thinking of fitting a 3 speed hub to the wheel.

I'm handy enough fixing my own bike but will this be a challenge too far? Was looking at a sturmey archer to fit the look.

http://www.highnelly.ie/sturmey-archer-3-speed-hub-and-fitting-kit.html

would changing the sprocket only on the fixed speed be a quicker/cheaper/easier fix.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

If you do decide..save yourself 100? and check out my adverts... ;)

Advertisement