Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Build Boot Issue

Options
  • 13-06-2017 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I recently started trying to build my own PC and have ran into an issue booting it up for the first time.

I've plugged everything in according to the instructions and tutorials i have found but the PC doesnt start up or give any sign of working at all. The only time I have been able to get any sign of the power actually working has been when I plugged in the Power LED wire into a different slot than advised. When I follow the motherboard diagram for the same wire nothing appeared to be working, but when I plugged it into another slot it worked, though not other wire ever appeared to.

I've googled first time build issues and checked all the usual problems (nothings loose and plugged in fully, using video card hdmi, waited for it to boot, video card doesnt need extra power, monitor plugged in/working, etc).

I've included a picture of my motherboard with everything plugged in. Since I'm pretty new at this I'm pretty lost and any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Do you have all the USB headers and case lights all plugged in?

I'd take them all out and try turning it on with the bare minimum. Processor, 1 stick of ram, GPU if you have to (try integrated if it's there). There should be a way of starting without any need for a case switch. Check the MB manual.

The fact that you mention the power LED would make me wonder if something is slightly wrongly wired in the power, reset switch area. Only a guess though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, possibly maybe just bad wiring on the case. You can wire the power switch or reset switch as the power button, doesn't matter.

I have a case where the power switch wiring doesn't work, so I have the reset as my power button.

Can also test it by using a screwdriver to connect the power pins on the board to start the PC. Will rule out faulty switch if still doesn't start.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SirSnrub

Yes, possibly maybe just bad wiring on the case. You can wire the power switch or reset switch as the power button, doesn't matter.

I have a case where the power switch wiring doesn't work, so I have the reset as my power button.

Can also test it by using a screwdriver to connect the power pins on the board to start the PC. Will rule out faulty switch if still doesn't start.

Yeah I just tried this screwdriver and got nothing. Could it be a a fault with the motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Have you switched it on - have you connected the motherboard to the case and operated the on button? I ask mainly because you say you are seeing nothing at all - no case fans/CPU fan switching on? It is also possible to jump start it with a screwdriver, connecting accross two points.

This is probably better news than things turning on and then switching off.

Can you try the power unit elsewhere to check if it is outputting power or even check it with a phase tester?

Fian wrote: »
    Have you switched it on - have you connected the motherboard to the case and operated the on button? I ask mainly because you say you are seeing nothing at all - no case fans/CPU fan switching on? It is also possible to jump start it with a screwdriver, connecting accross two points.

This is probably better news than things turning on and then switching off.

Can you try the power unit elsewhere to check if it is outputting power or even check it with a phase tester?

Yeah I believe i connected everything correctly. Everything is in tight and in the right places i think. I included a picture above of everything connected incase you might see something i dont or something i may have messed up.

The only sign of anything working is when i plug the Power LED connector for the case into the pins for the Power Button and it lights up. Apart from that i get nothing even with a acrewdriver.

I have also tried to plug it in else where and gotten the same results. It looks as if the power supply is functioning and powering the motherboard if i am able to get the LED working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Which wire from the power supply is plugged into the cpu plug on the motherboard?

Looks like it may be a pci cable from that pic,hard to see though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OP, post up the parts list of your machine too it might help us spot something.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Which wire from the power supply is plugged into the cpu plug on the motherboard?

Looks like it may be a pci cable from that pic,hard to see though

I'm not sure what you mean (sorry, really new at this). I took a couple of clearer pictures of what I think you're talking about. Its the only cable i can see on the power supply that fits that particular slot. There is a lot of cables coming from this particular power supply

jonnycivic wrote: »
    OP, post up the parts list of your machine too it might help us spot something.

Cool, thanks. Here's what I'm using:

Cooler Master Elite 344
    SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB
    Scythe Katana 4 - 92mm
    Intel Core i5-6400
    MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC 1
    Corsair VS450
    ASUS H110M-K 1
    Crucial 8GB - PC4-7000 - DIMM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

SirSnrub wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean (sorry, really new at this). I took a couple of clearer pictures of what I think you're talking about. Its the only cable i can see on the power supply that fits that particular slot. There is a lot of cables coming from this particular power supply

Sorry,i should have been clearer. It looked like to me that you were potentially using the wrong connector for cpu power. I see that PSU has a 4 + 4 pin for cpu which you show in the second pic so should be ok there.

• Advertisement

UPDATE: I fixed the problem. I removed the CMOS battery and put it back it and it worked charm.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to try and help. It really is very much appreciated and its great to know that there are always people on this forum who are willing to take the time to help a novice out

Below is a link to a blog that was a great help in case any future people happen upon this thread while trying to solve the same issue

http://blog.nzxt.com/guides/pc-wont-turn-on/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Good stuff. Enjoy the world of PC gaming.

Advertisement