Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL History 2017 - Discussion

Options
  • 13-06-2017 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Can someone who does history tell how f*cked i am if I've only done rise of SF, Eucharistic congress and consolidation of democracy for Sovereignity and Partition?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Xgracie wrote: »
    Can someone who does history tell how f*cked i am if I've only done rise of SF, Eucharistic congress and consolidation of democracy for Sovereignity and Partition?

Given that the EC is very likely to come up you should be OK. If you were studying the others without the EC it would be very risky! If you have time to study other topics maybe have a look at de Valera/the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

You could look at the impact of war north and south if you have time? That way you'd have 2 of the 3 case studies covered! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

You could look at the impact of war north and south if you have time? That way you'd have 2 of the 3 case studies covered! :)

Yeah ill look at that and have it as my in case of emergency lol thank you! Banking on doing well in the rest and just leaving that essay till last, doubt I'll get the exam finished TBH

Yeah ill look at that and have it as my in case of emergency lol thank you! Banking on doing well in the rest and just leaving that essay till last, doubt I'll get the exam finished TBH

You're hardly doing the Northern Ireland topic/US history topic by any chance? If you are, what essays are you looking at for those?

You're hardly doing the Northern Ireland topic/US history topic by any chance? If you are, what essays are you looking at for those?

Not NI but for US everything to do with Vietnam & Race relations and I think that'll be enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Not NI but for US everything to do with Vietnam & Race relations and I think that'll be enough :)

Throw in an economy question and you can answer any year for the past five

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I know time is short - but you will find some sample essays here that may help

https://leavingcerthistory.net/

Thought that was actually such a nice paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

The Jarrow and Montgomery questions were lovely, I found the Eucharistic Congress rather awkward to link with the Irish identity, and then for Later Irish History I did Lynch's contribution to Irish Affairs, which was a fairly mediocre answer on my part but I was fairly limited on that section with my options.

Knew all the information, such nice essays but still went bad :( the time constraints in that exact are a joke, who actually thought 2 hours 50 minutes was enough?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Knew all the information, such nice essays but still went bad :( the time constraints in that exact are a joke, who actually thought 2 hours 50 minutes was enough?!

I'm the same. I was very pleased with the essays that came up but I had big timing problems (only got 3 pages done for one essay and rushed the documents question).

Where did they come up with 2 hrs 50 mins from?! It should really be 3 hrs 20 mins like English Paper 2 (or even 3 hrs). It should be a test of your knowledge/ability not how fast you can write.

And Irish Paper 1 is 2 hours to write a 3 page essay! There's no logic at all to the exam timings.

VG31 wrote: »
    I'm the same. I was very pleased with the essays that came up but I had big timing problems (only got 3 pages done for one essay and rushed the documents question).

Where did they come up with 2 hrs 50 mins from?! It should really be 3 hrs 20 mins like English Paper 2 (or even 3 hrs). It should be a test of your knowledge/ability not how fast you can write.

And Irish Paper 1 is 2 hours to write a 3 page essay! There's no logic at all to the exam timings.

Yeah I had to rush one essay so made a total balls of it and 2 of mine were just scraping 4 pages

I totally agree it's a joke and so frustrating knowing I knew all my stuff and couldve wrote 3 A1 essays had we been given sufficient time :( what an unfair system

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nmdkwc

For the Northern Ireland section I answered Q1 (What were the main social and economic problems facing Northern Ireland, 1949‐1969, and how effectively were they tackled?) and just wrote about the welfare state reforms, how much will my marks suffer in that essay does anyone have any idea

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Montgomery or economy come up every year for the us section. It's hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

This was a nice paper with a nice range of questions for students to decide from. And it was the same with the OL paper.
    BadBannana wrote: »
    Montgomery or economy come up every year for the us section. It's hilarious

they don't actually - and when they do they come up in different formats and looking at issues from different perspectives.

Advertisement