Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dark roast beans

• 13-06-2017 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

I know it's a little out of fashion at the moment, but where's a good place to get dark roast beans in Dublin these days? I used to like Java Republic's Munkey beans a lot, but I don't think they do them anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

rsynnott wrote: »
    I know it's a little out of fashion at the moment, but where's a good place to get dark roast beans in Dublin these days? I used to like Java Republic's Munkey beans a lot, but I don't think they do them anymore.

tesco used to sell lavazza beans which are dark roasted.

To be fair any of the supermarket stuff is generally well past a medium roast.

Not to my taste personally but if that's what you're after go for it.

I would say though if you haven't done so already try a lighter roast as the flavour profile is vastly different to that of a dark roast bean. Nothing better than a mug of filter with a nice lightly toasted freshly ground bean.

Over roasting imho completely kills flavour to the point of charred/burnt/cigar flavour being all you can taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I would say though if you haven't done so already try a lighter roast as the flavour profile is vastly different to that of a dark roast bean. Nothing better than a mug of filter with a nice lightly toasted freshly ground bean.

I have done, and I like it from time to time, but for my everyday coffee I prefer a darker roast (usually used to make espressos or americanos).

One issue I've had with supermarket coffee in general is that it's often pretty old; I recently bought some Bewleys espresso beans that on closer inspection turned out to have been roasted almost a year ago...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bewleys do a dark bean.
    Like a change occasionaly myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I like dark roast; I don't like Bewley's or Lavazza; I am the happy possessor of a cheap palate.

Lidl are selling dark roast coffee for less than €10 per kilo as part of their Italian week. In fact, I think they are selling 2 types. I like their 100% Arabica option, while I dislike their Arabica/Robusta mix. At the price, you might think it worth a punt.

Damn!!! Too late ^^^ ...:)
    Just bought a bag of Bewleys yesterday morning to bridge the gap between when my Bailies sub. arrives, posted out tomorrow.
    I'm balancing on the edge here on Bailies 2 x 250grs. / month.
    Was with Badger, not sub., but buying their 2.5 kg bags. Was lasting ages so freshness was out the door.
    2 x 250grs. / month is a hard balancing act. First World problem. I will survive......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

fixx is a dark roast - can be gotten at bald barista or blond cafe or online

Do Bailies do a dark (darker) roast bean does anyone know? Or possibly B & D? Not totally gone on my Bailies sub. lighter roast beans. I might buy a bag of dark somewhere and add to my lighter roast to give it a bit of a bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Planet X wrote: »

I just finished a bag of this - really nice blend imo. Not standout or unusual but a good solid brew that I can see myself using as a regular staple!

Ordered two bags earlier.........it's good to have a variety.

• Advertisement
Advertisement