Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girlfriend wants to buy apartment with me, I want to buy on my own.

• 13-06-2017 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I want to buy an apartment. I'm 27, live in a Dublin suburb and the apartment I'm looking at is a 2 bed, on the DART line for less then 200K. I can easily afford this. I'm a web developer with 5 years experience earning a high 5 figure salary. I freelance and add another 2K roughly a month and I flip stuff online earning another nice bit of cash. I plan to add other revenue streams over the next few years, so repayments will be easily managable.

The issue is my GF of 3 months wants to purchase with me. I told her that's not happening. She said that she can chip in with repayments, and I earn enough for the bills so 'she' can easily afford it. The issue is she earns a fairly low wage for Dublin. Less than 20K. Now I'm not going to realistically buy this with her, but I don't want to loose this relationship with the girl.

I work very hard and I'm very ambitious. I'm buying this and I plan to overpay the repayments imeadiately so I can own it out right. I plan to start a web development/digital marketing agency soon, so if we break up, she gets a claim on the apartment will my business is starting up I could be ****ed.

Amy ideas on how to deal with this.o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Its only been 3 months. Is she mad? Tell her no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No chance, absolutely no chance. I would be very suspicious of her motives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just keep saying no!
    Explain that 3 months in to a relationship is far too early to even move in together, never mind purchase a home together. Tell her you're not ready for that kind of commitment. Theres no need to bring the money thing into it.
    The fact that she doesn't realise this looks like a major red flag from where I'm standing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Tell her to take a hike

If she pays one cent towards it or lives there she will seek to get a claim on it

Thread very carefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Please don't do it, everything sounds wrong with the situation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

HI OP

if i was you, i would tell her you are purchasing the apt yourself as an investment - eg its going to be your savings fund.

Sounds better than 'hell no!'

x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

3 months???? She's off her head if she thinks this is reasonable.

Edit: I'd also be very concerned she's assumed you'll be OK with paying the bills while she chips in with the repayments. Madness altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'd be looking at your girlfriend through different eyes if I was in your shoes. 3 months is no length of a relationship and she has no business putting her oar into your life to this extent. You hardly know her or what she's truly like as a person. Being cynical, you're a godsend to someone on such a low wage. Has she spoken about babies or families yet, seeing as things seem to be zooming along at a very brisk pace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

if I was you, I would tell her you are purchasing the apt yourself as an investment - eg its going to be your savings fund.
    +1 plan to let her have the tripplock allowance any girlfriend is allowed have in a lads domain; spare pair of clean nickers, toothbrush and maybe access to socket for a hairdryer? Take a lodger to keep her off the scent until you're ready to let her stay long-term.
    1/2 years in maybe get a set of keys cut and say goodbye to any wardrobe space you had.
    You can plan to buy a house together in years to come.
    *Note I'm a proprietor, going out nearly 11years and still managed to keep it to a small bag of stuff :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah I wouldn't just be telling her no to the house, I'd be getting rid full stop. She heard your plan and saw an opportunity, either to get a free house off someone with money or that she'd have a claim to half a house if this didn't work out. There's no two ways about this, nobody could think this is a good idea after 3 months. The girl has played her hand, do yourself a favour and find someone who doesn't see you as an investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,692 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

You shouldnt be in a rush to move in with her either, go ahead and buy your place but be clear and say you wont consider her moving in any time soon. If you are setting up a new business you need a clear head and having someone move in over the next year would be a distraction.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

The fact you're posting here says you know the answer already.

Tell her you're not even ready to live together, never mind buying together.

If she's still on the scene in two years, it'll be a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't just be telling her no to the house, I'd be getting rid full stop. She heard your plan and saw an opportunity, either to get a free house off someone with money or that she'd have a claim to half a house if this didn't work out. There's no two ways about this, nobody could think this is a good idea after 3 months. The girl has played her hand, do yourself a favour and find someone who doesn't see you as an investment.

This!

I'm just over 2 years with my gf, we got engaged at Christmas and we're only thinking of moving in together now so we're saving for a deposit!
    That one is mad, buying a place together after what is only a matter of weeks?!
    Give her the boot, she's bad news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I was with my OH 3 years when he bought a house by himself because he wanted to and while I'd like to have contributed, it wasn't possible at the time. 3 months in though? Flippin hell! That's a bit mad. I'd be stepping away from that and reinforcing that you want to buy by yourself. If you want to use the line that it means you could potentially use her first time buyer status in the future still, go for it but I think just being honest and saying it's way too soon for that type of commitment should be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

OP

You would be off your rocker to to do that.

Under no circumstances given the current position (Relationship, Finances) should you be buying with her.

Do not do it.
    You will regret it forever.

I'd question her motives too.
    If she insists, then it's time for her to go.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

WTFtodo wrote: »
    I'm not going to realistically buy this with her, but I don't want to loose this relationship with the girl.

I think all you can do is talk to her. Maybe she's not golddigging. Maybe she doesn't have € signs in her eyes! Maybe she's feeling confused and awkward about what if any role she's expected to play. You say you don't want to lose the relationship, maybe she feels the same. Maybe she's offering to help because she thinks to not offer would make it look like she expects you to provide for her?

You don't know unless you have a really frank (and maybe awkward) conversation with her.

Also getting some legal advice regarding if you buy on your own and then later want to add her name to the property wouldn't be a bad idea, for both of you and might make her realise that she doesn't have to get involved in the purchase at this stage but could become involved down the line when you're both in a better position to consider it. It might make her feel less panicked about needing to contribute now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Cannot agree anymore with what everyone else has said, if you allow her to buy a house with you after 3 months you will seriously regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Hi OP.

You need to nip this in the bud and I think how that goes will tell you a lot about this relationship. I cant help but question either her judgement or her motives in suggesting this.

3 months would be very soon to be moving in together to a rented place, let alone mixing finances.

I have some experience in this area (although not so extreme) in that I own the place where myself and my OH live. I was house hunting before I met him, but between various factors (having one sale agreed fall through and then changing jobs) I didnt offer on the place I ultimately own until we were 18 months together and already living together in rented accommodation. Obviously I could have had a bigger budget if we'd bought together, but it was too soon. We were together 2 years by the time we moved in, but the process of buying starts way before that and back then the relationship was too new to be making a decision thats so hard to reverse.

So now, he pays me "rent" and half the bills and I pay the mortgage. It costs us both about the same, so yes he's contributing but all the same he's still living very cheaply compared to if he was renting alone of even living with others, so its a win win. Ultimately I'll probably sell up in a few years and then buy together, but we plan to be married by then. Property is strange in that its an asset but also your home and can also go up as well as down. Its far too big a decision to be influenced by a 3 month relationship, regardless of how well you think its going right now. You are still in the honeymoon period.

FWIW, unfortunately the property market doesn't wait for anyones relationships so I think you're right to buy now if its otherwise the right decision for you. Like myself, it doesn't sound like a forever home, so you'll probably sell up again in a few years and if this girl is still on the scene, then you'll have built a life together and its then appropriate to make such decisions jointly. If she won't accept this, then you need to be firm with her, and if she still won't accept it, you need to take a hard look at your relationship. She's being totally unreasonable.

If you want to give her the benefit of the doubt I would suggest to her that she keeps all the money she would have put into the mortgage repayments into a savings account and if your still together when you want to trade up properties in a few years you can pool that money together?

But it take's longer then 3 months to close on most sales so it would be incredibly foolish to invest (throw away??) so much financially in your relationship at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Some couples aren't exclusive after 3 months let alone buying a home together. Fair play to you for being so successful and focused. You should definitely buy on your own and I second the suggestion of getting a lodger in. If she doesn't like it she can take a hike and you'll be well rid, if she's genuine she won't mind.

I'm not being horrible here but I think you're out of this girl's league. I'm single now and have given up looking but when I was younger and dating the guys I dated earned around the same or a little more than me. I don't earn a huge salary and never did. The high earning guys I knew always dated women who earned in or around the same as they did. I thought that was the norm. Sometimes if one partner was studying and the other was working there was a bigger discrepancy in income but that would even out once the partner in college qualified and got a job. Later on one partner might give up work to care for the children but not after they had both worked in jobs that brought in a similar income.

You are only 27 and you should be in no hurry to settle. This girl is probably very attractive and it's understandable you don't want to lose the relationship. But the relationship is only 3 months old. You barely know each other. Focus on getting your apartment sorted and getting your business plans off the ground. Go on a few holidays alone and broaden your horizons. In a few years time when your have fulfilled some of your business plans you would be in a better position to get serious with somebody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

At 3 months, your dilemma should be over who is paying for the popcorn at the cinema - not buying a place together.

You sound very driven, ambitious and level-headed. I'm sure she's a lovely girl, but absolutely do not give her a financial foothold in your life this early - things could go tits up very easily even a year in, never mind 3 months. You can soften the blow by telling her (quite honestly) that it's way too early to be mixing business and pleasure. 

On a sidenote, I'd worry that she is using your financial stability as a foothold here. 3 months seems an unusually short time for someone to want to purchase a property with a partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

From her point of view, paying half the mortgage( half being e.g. ~400 euro per month from 180k mortgage over 30 years ) is a hell of a lot cheaper than renting, and free/no bills, also its an investment. So she would be saving a lot per month( unless she lives at home but that's another story ).

You would be crazy to agree, it would destroy independence for both of you.

Like others have said, say its an investment property, you might rent out a room, and you're too young to know where you will be in a few years time being in IT and easy mobility etc.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Mod Note:

Bandana Boy, I've deleted your post. Please read the Forum Charter before posting again.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Emme wrote: »

I'm not being horrible here but I think you're out of this girl's league. I'm single now and have given up looking but when I was younger and dating the guys I dated earned around the same or a little more than me. I don't earn a huge salary and never did. The high earning guys I knew always dated women who earned in or around the same as they did. I thought that was the norm. Sometimes if one partner was studying and the other was working there was a bigger discrepancy in income but that would even out once the partner in college qualified and got a job. Later on one partner might give up work to care for the children but not after they had both worked in jobs that brought in a similar income.

I've been the higher earner in the majority of my relationships. Some were in stop gap jobs or studying and working towards a qualification in a field that would see them earn significantly more, but some were happy with their career and what they earned. Not once did I think I was "out of their league". One man who I loved dearly was more than likely always going to be on just above minimum wage and I had every intention of being the main provider for the both of us, including using my own savings on a shared home, because out relationship was one of love and respect. I would imagine most people value the person on what they bring to the relationship and not their earnings. Yes money is important but I wouldn't be saying someone is "out of their league" just because they don't have equal earnings, that seems very bizarre to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

since when does money or the amount that someone earns determine who they should or shouldnt be dating? I cant imagine ever looking down on anybody with a smaller wage than myself. Anyone who looks down their nose at lower wage earners should really have a good hard look at themselves and sort out their priorities. OP seems very much above such classist ideologies.

neonsofa wrote: »
    I've been the higher earner in the majority of my relationships. Some were in stop gap jobs or studying and working towards a qualification in a field that would see them earn significantly more, but some were happy with their career and what they earned. Not once did I think I was "out of their league". One man who I loved dearly was more than likely always going to be on just above minimum wage and I had every intention of being the main provider for the both of us, including using my own savings on a shared home, because out relationship was one of love and respect. I would imagine most people value the person on what they bring to the relationship and not their earnings. Yes money is important but I wouldn't be saying someone is "out of their league" just because they don't have equal earnings, that seems very bizarre to me.

That should be the way but from what I have seen in my 40 plus years of life my experience of life is different. It has little to do with class and more to do with practicality. People who earn a certain amount are used to a certain standard of living and they may not be willing to compromise on that for a partner who earns less so it's easier all round to have a partner who earns a similar amount. I had similar ideals to you in my 20s and 30s but from what I have seen women are more tolerant of a partner earning less than vice versa. There have been many threads here started by men who aren't happy that their partner (female) earns less. Many women post here because they are broke from trying to contribute 50% into a relationship where their partner earns a lot more. It is the norm that both partners contribute 50% to mortgage, expenses etc and this is easiest if both are earning similar incomes.

One of the reasons I am single is that on my income I can afford to live simply without frills but the men I met in the past have had lifestyles where they went on two expensive holidays a year, had expensive hobbies and wanted a partner who could keep up with all this. I like to pay my way and even though some guys were generous it wasn't going to close the gap in income and expectations.

In the real world income disparity can be an incompatibility for practical reasons more than anything else. The OP should realise this and tread very carefully with the girl he is dating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

That should be the way but from what I have seen in my 40 plus years of life my experience of life is different. It has little to do with class and more to do with practicality. People who earn a certain amount are used to a certain standard of living and they may not be willing to compromise on that for a partner who earns less so it's easier all round to have a partner who earns a similar amount. I had similar ideals to you in my 20s and 30s but from what I have seen women are more tolerant of a partner earning less than vice versa. There have been many threads here started by men who aren't happy that their partner (female) earns less. Many women post here because they are broke from trying to contribute 50% into a relationship where their partner earns a lot more. It is the norm that both partners contribute 50% to mortgage, expenses etc and this is easiest if both are earning similar incomes.

One of the reasons I am single is that on my income I can afford to live simply without frills but the men I met in the past have had lifestyles where they went on two expensive holidays a year, had expensive hobbies and wanted a partner who could keep up with all this. I like to pay my way and even though some guys were generous it wasn't going to close the gap in income and expectations.

In the real world income disparity can be an incompatibility for practical reasons more than anything else. The OP should realise this and tread very carefully with the girl he is dating.

I respectfully disagree. If that's how you view relationships, then fair enough. I view a potential partner based on the hapiness and emotional support they can bring to my life, not how much they can spend on holidays or restaurants.

Finances can absolutely cause issues in relationships, but those issues come down to a lot more than one person being "out of the others league" purely based on how much they earn- a mismatch of expectations would be more at play, in my experience, than the persons income.

I respectfully disagree. If that's how you view relationships, then fair enough. I view a potential partner based on the hapiness and emotional support they can bring to my life, not how much they can spend on holidays or restaurants.

I do too but most men I met were into holidays and lifestyle. I gave up trying to find a down to earth man who was into happiness and emotional support and wasn't obsessed with hobbies.
    Finances can absolutely cause issues in relationships, but those issues come down to a lot more than one person being "out of the others league" purely based on how much they earn- a mismatch of expectations would be more at play, in my experience, than the persons income.

Perhaps, but income can drive expectations in some cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Pretty sure you have your answer, OP, so I mainly just want to say congrats on being in a job you seemingly enjoy and are very motivated in, are doing so well, and all whilst only being 27. Fair play.

100% buy this apartment on your own. If she can't understand why, it could well be argued that she's not not the woman for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

WTFtodo wrote: »
    The issue is my GF of 3 months wants to purchase with me [...] she earns a fairly low wage for Dublin. Less than 20K.
    I'd suggest that she contributes to holidays together, house bills, meals out and incidental expenses while you "look after accommodation".

If she's on 20k and you're four times that, then she shouldn't be considering taking part-ownership of a property and you shouldn't be considering offering it to her - not without a full understanding of the legalities of the situation, especially what might happen if the wheels come off the relationship and she looks for her contribution back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Explain that if she wants in on the property she will need to show she can pay the risk.
    If property drops 20% and you break up or are forced to sell , how will she come up with her share of the €40,000 loss required to walk away.
    If she cannot show that then say bank will not let her name be on paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Explain that if she wants in on the property she will need to show she can pay the risk.
    If property drops 20% and you break up or are forced to sell , how will she come up with her share of the €40,000 loss required to walk away.
    If she cannot show that then say bank will not let her name be on paperwork.

I wouldn't even give her this option. He's only going out with her 3 months. He doesn't even know the girl. Probably hasn't even farted in front of her :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah also you can't fight crazy with logic. Like trying to beat a tank with a hurl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

Just tell her the her the truth, tell her it's not personal that this purchase has been on your mind before you met her and it's an investment towards the future and not a family home, tell her yiu appreciate the gesture but you will be buying this property in your sole name! Her response will tell you it you have an issue or not. If she has issues and wants to pressure you into something you don't want to do well it's time to break up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Be smart, OP. DO NOT DO THIS. It will only end in tears. Trust me on this one.

I did the same thing with an ex-partner at home in London. We were together 4 years before we bought. It ended very messily.

Don't do it. And don't worry about your girl. She'll get over it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Jeez, I'm with my fella a few years now and would have to seriously think about things before committing to buying a property together. It's such a long-term commitment and is tying you together financially when you barely even know her emotionally at this stage. Have you even met her family and circle of friends? Do you even know if she's a reliable sort of character or a total flake? Is she money wise or unable to save a penny? Does she have ambitions to further her career and move beyond minimum wage?

All of those questions need to be firmly answered before you sign on the dotted line with her. In the haze of that first flush of romance you can hardly see your arse from your elbow, less have any sort of solid answer for any of them. You're still very much "dating" and both on your best behaviour. Get to know the woman. Walk before you run. Otherwise you're probably going to make a very bloody stupid financial decision that an ambitious and smart young fella like yourself will live to regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Some couples aren't exclusive after 3 months let alone buying a home together. Fair play to you for being so successful and focused. You should definitely buy on your own and I second the suggestion of getting a lodger in. If she doesn't like it she can take a hike and you'll be well rid, if she's genuine she won't mind.

You are only 27 and you should be in no hurry to settle. This girl is probably very attractive and it's understandable you don't want to lose the relationship. But the relationship is only 3 months old. You barely know each other. Focus on getting your apartment sorted and getting your business plans off the ground. Go on a few holidays alone and broaden your horizons. In a few years time when your have fulfilled some of your business plans you would be in a better position to get serious with somebody.

Wow I'm l Iost for words here

You know one a prominent driver of inequality in the world is assortative mating.... Which is exactly what happens when you label a person out of their league based on income....

OP rent her a room?

pone2012 wrote: »
    Wow I'm l Iost for words here

You know one a prominent driver of inequality in the world is assortative mating.... Which is exactly what happens when you label a person out of their league based on income....

OP rent her a room?

It's bloody hard sometimes to be in a relationship with someone who can't afford to do what you want to do and doesn't like handouts.
    I had that for a long time with my now fiancé and if it wasn't a short term situation I would have been gone because it really sucks to work hard all week and then feel awkward for wanting to spend your hard earned wage.

Moving in togeather shouldn't even be entering your head after 3 months never mind buying togeather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

On the money side of things, I'd agree with both sides really. I'm female and earn significantly more than my OH, but I'm also a saver and not lavish in my lifestyle so we match pretty well there. Our respective salaries don't impact each other negatively, I'll be the one with the bigger savings pot for any future house deposit, wedding, kids etc, he's the one who'll be doing all the fixer-upper stuff and all the awful paperwork that I'm useless at! So it all balances in the end.

I don't have any preconceived notions of a man needing to be a big earner to be my partner nor do I expect to be propping someone up either. I think that's the bottom line really. Is the OP's girlfriend thinking "he's loaded, jackpot! Let's get on this gravy train..." or is she just a bit ignorant about house buying and thinking "we both want a house, this makes sense" and that's as far as her trail of thinking goes. It's up to the OP to figure that out.

Also OP your compatibility in terms of ambition might come into it too down the line. Is the girlfriend on minimum wage because she's happy to coast and has no further ambitions other than that? Or is her situation temporary and just a means to an end while she furthers her education or her work experience. Age is probably a factor here. How old is she? At 22 I was in my first job and on a laughable wage, ten years later I've quadrupled it by working hard and adding significant value to my CV. If you're someone that can't sit still for the goals you have, you might find it frustrating to be with someone who's the opposite of that (if indeed she is) when the glean has worn off in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My OH (together nearly 2 years) was saving for a deposit when we met; he recently bought an apartment (we went on viewings together and he took my opinion into account).

The plan is for him to move in with a tenant, I'll be there 3-4 nights a week most likely. After a year, tenant will move out and I'll move in fully.

Why? Because neither of us are ready to commit to moving in yet. We're 28 and 29 btw, both in good well-paying jobs.

I was always super conscious that he'd been saving since he started work after college. Years before he ever met me. It was his dream to own his own place before 30, and I wasn't about to mess with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

OP seems to know buying together is a non runner it's explaining to her is the issue. Telling her it's simply too early to do so should suffice, everything else is irrelevant re affording it or not etc, if she can't handle that then slan

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭redfox123

I truly want to leave this planet. He earns more so is 'out of her league'. Everything that is wrong with success and money driven society and relationships summed up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I wouldn't talk about it too much. Not at all in fact. Just buy it nice and quietly without discussing it much . Just say something bland like oh yeah that's coming on nicely . Let her know when the deal is done. Don't discuss it with her further before that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'll just put myself in her shoes. Maybe she doesn't have any gold digging thought at all. If I would have met my partner and shortly after we met he's talking about buying an apartment I would feel slightly awkward about what to do. I probably as well would maybe just offer to chip in a little bit, not because I wanna claim anything or so, but it's my partner and I honestly wouldn't know on how to appropriately react on that. Maybe she just offered that and didn't think too much about the actual consequences, just wanted to be helpful.

You didn't state at all how the conversation went, I'd just talk to her, explain the situation and your plan. If she's reacting really unreasonable then you know what's up. I just sounds a little bit like there might be a bit of a misunderstanding and awkwardness on either side on how to handle this. Just sit down, talk about it and you'll see how it turns out.

Btw, about moving together soon, my man moved in with me after 4 months of long distance relationship because the circumstances were just about right, it worked out more than great and we have a kid together now and are just in the process of buying a house together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

LirW wrote:
    I'll just put myself in her shoes. Maybe she doesn't have any gold digging thought at all. If I would have met my partner and shortly after we met he's talking about buying an apartment I would feel slightly awkward about what to do. I probably as well would maybe just offer to chip in a little bit, not because I wanna claim anything or so, but it's my partner and I honestly wouldn't know on how to appropriately react.

After eight weeks???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm merely pointing out the awkwardness that this situation brings up and someone here mentioned before. In all fairness, the OP didn't give much information on what information was actually exchanged, this can be everything from a very casual conversation like "Hey, I'm buying an apartment" "...eeeeerm okay, would you want me to chip in?" to a matter of several evenings of discussions, we don't really know and I give her the benefit of doubt here.
    She just gets wrecked here and called nasty things and we don't really know what was going on. Maybe she is someone who sees an opportunity, maybe she has just offered something without thinking too much about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Honestly- I don't post very often in this forum- but I am totally flabbergasted at some of the comments and sentiments being expressed here in this thread.

I honestly never looked at family wealth (assets or cashflow) nor did my now wife- when we were dating.

A few points- I don't 'get' what the OP's imperative is to buy now at any cost. Dublin prices on apartments have stagnated (ok, other property prices are rising- but its a lot more selective than it was even 12 months ago).

Wholly aside from the relationship aspect of all of this- I'd be seeking advice from someone who doesn't have a vested interest in trying to part me from my cash- on whether, or not, buying at the moment is a good idea.

From the OP's description- I'd also be genuinely considering whether I was looking at residential accommodation- or a nice office in a reasonable location- where I could bring clients to sit down and show them concepts etc- without having my laundry drying on the balcony.

I'd suggest the two of them rent somewhere together- and the OP buys a freehold office with parking somewhere convenient- gets it done up nicely, and works from it.

We only have one side of the story here- and the perception is that the girl is a gold-digger- I'm sorry- there simply isn't enough information here to support that hypothesis.

I do think its too early for the two of them to move in together- however, I also think the property market is doing strange things in the Dublin area- and that the compulsion that many people had to buy- before they got priced out of the market- is being deflated.

OP- look at this as two separate matters. Why do you feel a compulsion to buy just now? You have voiced that you'd like somewhere to work from- this is not necessarily incompatible with working from home- however, its also not necessarily the best of ideas (speaking as someone who followed this path for a number of years). Would you look at buying a nice office freehold to do up- and work from there- while you rent somewhere nearby until you see what the lay of the land is?

Vis-a-vis your girlfriend- moving in together at the 3 month stage- is not normal- it wasn't normal in my day (I'm a lot older than you are- I'm in my 40s)- and it most certainly is not normal now. Relationships do break down every day of the week. I'd suggest some sort of a holding position- but in a manner that doesn't belittle the girl- she may be the lovliest, most sweet tempered person you'll ever encounter in your life- and painting her a money grabber- might be doing her an immense disservice.

Its only through illness, hard times- and other experiences- that I've come to the conclusion that there are far more valuable things in life- than how much I or my wife earn. Life is short- but try to see beyond what she brings to the relationship financially- life is about a hell of a lot more than money.

Back to first issue- strongly advise you get somewhere to work from- that is *not* your residence- its a pain bringing people into your home to show off sites, look for feedback, comments, show them concepts etc. A small nicely decorated office, with good security, good internet, a few parking spaces and nice equipment to use- is more what you need. Also- it'll get you out of the house in the morning- there is nothing worse than getting up in the morning, working your arse off all day- and not having left the place as the sun sets in the evening.

In short- try to look beyond money- but also be pragmatic about your girlfriend- life isn't all about money, often we loose sight of the things that really matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

OP is your girlfriend Irish? What might seem crazy (i.e buying property in your 20's with someone you are with for a few months) to most Irish people might seem very normal in other cultures. Also have you much experience with relationships? The whole concept is very naive and you seem afraid of offending her and loosing the relationship.

FWIW, I went out with people for 2/3 months in my 2O's and would struggle to remember their names. I'd call it casual dating timeframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

QueenRizla wrote: »

FWIW, I went out with people for 2/3 months in my 2O's and would struggle to remember their names.  I'd call it casual dating timeframe.

And on that note, would you have considered going into a property purchase with these people?

• Advertisement
Advertisement