Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Water & Shampoo Recommendation

Options
  • 13-06-2017 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

I've moved to a new area in Dublin where there is hard water. After washing my hair, it looks dull and limp. It looks/feels as if I haven't washed it properly :(

Can anyone recommend a shampoo that won't damage my hair and in particular my highlights. I have a full head of blond highlights and I don't want to strip/damage my colour.

I would love any recommendations/advice from anyone in the same boat.

Thank you:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The absolute bane of my life. So much so that I often travel half and hour to have a shower in my mam's because I hate the water where I live that much.
    Firstly you'll need a clarifying shampoo. Pantene do a good one, but the one that saved my life was Redken hair cleansing cream. You can get it on lookfantastic.
    Having hard water and blonde hair is a bad mix- it'll turn your highlights a shade of green so make sure you get toners done in the salon the next time you're in.
    Other than that just use a good mask, but use it sparingly and make sure its rinsed out properly. If you find it turning green an apple cider vinegar rinse is good to clarify it.

I totally feel you. I've been there with the greasy roots and the dry frizzy ends- it's a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Yep I struggled with this is a place I lived previously, and also used to love going home at the weekends to wash my hair with good home water!

Same suggestions as above really, clarifying shampoo and/or vinegar rinse.

Can I suggest fixing the problem at source and getting a showerhead filter like this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dewifier-ultimate-Softener-Handheld-filtered/dp/B01N5S1E3X/ref=sr_1_3?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1497533502&sr=1-3&keywords=tap+water+softener

That's one of many on the market.

I've no experience of a showerhead filter - I assume your biggest problem is washing your hair and showering - but my parents live in a very hard water area and had a mains softening system fitted, which I believe is similar except it supplies all faucets. Whenever I stay there, even though I live in a fairly soft water area myself, my hair and skin are softer and shinier from washing in the filtered water.

Might be worth a few quid to at least have soft water in the shower for shampooing and washing.

Softening systems can cost hundreds and can be a messy job, and I've used one of those shower heads before and the water pressure is so terrible it's pretty much non existent and they're not all easy to fit.
    Also if the op is renting adding a water softener may be a restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

Hi Anna080, did you get one of those linked above? (shower head?) they look good but not really????

• Advertisement

pointelle wrote: »
    Hi Anna080, did you get one of those linked above? (shower head?) they look good but not really????

Ya I got one and thought it was useless. Not sure if it was same brand as the one above but it looks the same. The water pressure is terrible- very weak and you'd be half the day just trying to get your hair wet never mind anything else. I just gave up and bought a clarifying shampoo and that sorted me.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

thanks, was it the shower head with pebbles visible ? I've really got to do something, the dusty lime deposits on shower doors are SO hard to clean, aswell as fuzzy awful hair! Hmm maybe I could clean the shower with it too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't have highlights but I do live in a hard water area and Pantene has been working well for me lately.

As for cleaning the shower door, my husband uses a mix of vinegar and washing up liquid and it does the job!

Advertisement