Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lathe blanks

Options
  • 13-06-2017 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hello forum,

I'm considering getting a wood turning lathe for my work shop.

The initial outlay seems reasonable, but it's the cost of blanks that putting me off... McQuillans charge about €40 for a decent hardwood blank!

Thats not managable in my book, so what do folk do for blanks?

With storms and general tree care going I expect there must be a ready supply of hard and semi-hard woods about?

Any advice appriciated.

Cheers
    Ray

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mcquillans are the last place i'd get blanks. you can get them cheaper in the carpentry store in naas, but that still would be an expensive way to do it. a lot of the wood i get for turning i get in the local chapter of the woodturner's guild.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

mcquillans are the last place i'd get blanks. you can get them cheaper in the carpentry store in naas, but that still would be an expensive way to do it. a lot of the wood i get for turning i get in the local chapter of the woodturner's guild.

Thanks for that tip... I shall investigate.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

As a beginner you are going to need blanks to practice on. I would suggest some split firewood. Green timber is a lot more forgiving to turn..Cut them into rounds with a bandsaw if you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

You could always just buy a thick plank of hardwood from the likes of Morgans timber and cut it up as you use??
    trackerman wrote: »
    Hello forum,

I'm considering getting a wood turning lathe for my work shop.

The initial outlay seems reasonable, but it's the cost of blanks that putting me off... McQuillans charge about €40 for a decent hardwood blank!

Thats not managable in my book, so what do folk do for blanks?

With storms and general tree care going I expect there must be a ready supply of hard and semi-hard woods about?

Any advice appriciated.

Cheers
    Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

See if there are any tree surgeons local to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement