Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Haunting of Hill House / Bly Manor [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Space Dog

This can't come soon enough, the 63 movie is one of my all-time favorite horror films, and the book is a fascinating read. Hope this will be better than the Jan de Bont remake anyway :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bump. This starts next Friday and it just got a 9.5 on IGN for the Season and is at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Perfect for Halloween! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I just watched the first episode. Superb! I know it's going to get a lot scarier in the coming episodes, but I was already feeling the chills with this episode :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fantastic series overall.. and definitely one of the best original series by Netflix in quite some time.

This would be too easy to market as a quick cash-in for Halloween, but it's way more than that.

Superb performances drive it but there's some genuine scares in there. The episode in the
    funeral home
    showed this is a series which had more to give than jump-scares.

Oh, and the
    Bent-Neck Lady
    twist was superb.. for some reason, I thought there's a chance it was
    the ghost of the mother
    but for it to be
    Nell
    was beautifully done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm halfway through it and it's great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

5 episodes in and enjoying it but really expected more in the scare department.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

5 episodes in and enjoying it but really expected more in the scare department.

There's a moment in a future episode that actually made me jump and make some sort of weird "ohm" sound.

Nokotan wrote: »
    There's a moment in a future episode that actually made me jump and make some sort of weird "ohm" sound.
    Wonder if it was the same bit as me which was..

.. EPISODE 8 SPOILER AHEAD..

Theo and Shirley fighting in the car and Nell pops her head out between them screaming
    .. that did give me a fright!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Basq wrote: »
    Wonder if it was the same bit as me which was..

.. EPISODE 8 SPOILER AHEAD..

Theo and Shirley fighting in the car and Nell pops her head out between them screaming
    .. that did give me a fright!

That was the one, I watched it back. I did that jump scared sound at about 23.30 in a rather quiet hospital ward (hence the time to watch it all) and I'm sure I gave a few a fright here!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,512 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have only seen episode 1...I have to say I like it a lot it drew me in...my partner wasnt a fan at all though.

• Advertisement

It's a very character driven show but it works so well in my opinion. I prefer that than cheap scares.

The conclusion was excellent. Only heard of this show last Friday so a welcome surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I couldn’t even finish the second episode of this terrible show. It’s boring, full of unlikable characters and not scary at all. It was like a soap opera with the odd predictable jump scare thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I loved it. Just so well made and acted. Not very scary but eerie in the right places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I couldn’t even finish the second episode of this terrible show. It’s boring, full of unlikable characters and not scary at all. It was like a soap opera with the odd predictable jump scare thrown in.

Agreed. Granted I'm only on the second episode but feels like it's been totally overhyped.The acting seems really forced and unnatural, like something you would see in an episode of 'Days of our lives'. Will continue to watch, hoping it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

The show was whatever, not great, not terrible. More horror/drama than straight horror. Didn't care at all about the addict brother, lesbian sister, or sister that married a black guy that
    died
    storylines, just wanted the scary/creepy stuff. Again, a victim of "Netflix bloat", (one episode is 42min, but two are 70min!), easily could have been 8 x 45/50 minute episodes.

BUT...the main thing I hated about this show, was the colour tone. Ugh, it drove me nuts. That washed-out, faded, dusty, yellow-tint look. Hate when shows or films have that look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

The acting performances are average at best. The guy that plays Steven is the worst of the lot. The only standout performance would be the actress that plays adult Nell.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

A few episodes in.... Am confused why this needed to be based in the original book/film at all as it seems so different! Just kept the character names and some bits of dialogue. Too many characters and time jumping.

But still some decent scares and am hoping it comes together more.

To be honest.. the characters, bar Nell and Luke, are all bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

I loved this series. episode five
    bent neck lady being nell
    actually gave me nightmares .the funeral home scenes are excellent and
    when nell had sleep paralayes while her husband died
    was chilling. then the last episode I thought left the whole show down. its as if they didn't know quiet how to end it .if I was script editor I would have sent the last episode back for a rewrite . all in all I loved it though and it scared the life out of me in parts

Just after realising the actor who plays the younger version of the dad is Elliott from ET :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

I enjoyed it but the last episode was shockingly bad. Awful. Just wanted it to end at that point. Terrible last episode a big let down. Found my mind wondering. But overall I enjoyed it. But way too over hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

A few more episodes in....ok this is the horror equivalent of Lost. In theory about a haunting but really that is just a mcguffin to lure you in. Really all about flashbacks and backstory.

Seriously the Luke drug episode could have been in Lost with the odd tweak.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I really enjoyed this series. Not normally into horror because they tend to focus to heavily on trying to scare the audience at the expense of a storyline and well rounded characters. While this wasn't a pure horror there was definitely a few jump scares in there and a lot of very eery/tense moments. The jumping between times helped break the tension of the house and it also helped develop each character which actually made me care about what happens to the characters. Something often missing from the horror genre.

I'd agree though that the end wasn't very strong and if I had one issue it was with
    the mother. At the end she was still trying to kill her family. But at the same time it was like they were trying to sell it that she was back to her old caring self. I thought she had become "Evil" with the house but then there was the weird family reunion at the end. I found it a bit odd. It also looked like she never experienced any regret for killing the girl and was still convinced that dying would wake them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Watched episode 1 last night and half of the 2nd. Liking it so far. My kind of watching for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Watched first two episodes. Really enjoying it.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

6 episodes in, big screen tv, sound turned up lights turned down its fantastic tv.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Finished this last night, absolutely fantastic the whole way through. Up there as one of the best Netflix shows, I already can't wait for the 2nd season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Finished this last night, absolutely fantastic the whole way through. Up there as one of the best Netflix shows, I already can't wait for the 2nd season.

Has it been renewed? I have no idea where it could go...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Birneybau wrote: »
    Has it been renewed? I have no idea where it could go...

I thought I read a second series had been greenlit, my mistake. I was hoping for a series on the history of the house before this family moved in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

6 episodes in and enjoying it.

Just hope this wraps up well and answers questions. Don't want this to drag on for years.

Advertisement