Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Haunting of Hill House / Bly Manor [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

2 episodes left and I'm really enjoying it.

There's a lot going in the background of the house too, statues heads moving, figures lurking in the background. Very very unsettling, nice touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

razorblunt wrote:
    There's a lot going in the background of the house too, statues heads moving, figures lurking in the background. Very very unsettling, nice touches.

8-12 per episode according to the director.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Really enjoyed this! Loved how the story was presented and told, made me want more and more each episodes end.

If their is a second season, I'd hope that it has nothing to do with Hill House, but rather a new adaptation of something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I enjoyed the show a lot, though the final episode was somewhat disappointing and definitely took away from my enjoyment of the show overall.

Overall, the show reminded me a lot of
    the book of the Shining, especially in how the house controlled the characters and how people from the past were trapped there. I know Stephen King is a fan of the original book so I wonder is it a case of them being inspired by someone who was themselves inspired by the source material.

I liked the character development, especially
    the Shirley cheating twist as I couldn't stand her because of her righteousness. With the affair, she became a more realistic person with serious faults.

It would've been interesting had they come to a conclusion
    along the lines of shared psychosis, as the mother was clearly crumbling under the stress and the father had lost his mind too. It was something that Stevie hinted at to an extent; instead of it just being a ghost story.

As for the final episode
    , it was a let down as I felt they had too many lines to tie up and the conclusion itself was a bit fuddled. I watched it on Saturday night and I'm still not entirely sure what it wanted to say: that Nell wanted to bring them all back together one more time or that the mother thought that killing them was the only way to protect them? As viewers are we supposed to believe that this is a 'good' ending?

I was much more moved by the Dudley's story, especially their ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Moving on to ep.8 tonight. I thought episodes 1-5 were alright, nothing special. But I really enjoyed episodes 6 and 7 bar a couple of things. Hopefully the remaining few episodes are of similar quality to the past couple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Absolutely BEAT into this last night, finished on
    nells episode and oh my God I really cried! Felt so bad for the poor craythur.
    Gonna throw a guess in now, could be waaaaaay off but sure!
    are their monsters manifestations of trauma they've experienced? Was the mam suffering badly all her life with mental health and it fcuked up all the kids?!
    Really felt that way with poor nell, seemed to me like chronic psychosis
    The gloved Angelina sister is mucking that theory up though!

Finished this last night, & i would genuinely watch it again.
    Just for the shocks.
    It's been years since I watched something that gave me goosebumps.
    Great show

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just finished it
    Goddamn those Dudley's, what a story for them, it's been a while since I was gutpunched like that

I copped on to the
    daughter being the "imaginary" friend and Nelly being the bent neck lady before the reveals

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

5 ep's in and I think it is brilliant! Every ep I've gotten goosebumps when one of the Hill's show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Episodes 8 and 9 in particular, were worth watching.
    I found the last episode a bit of an anti climax.

Overall, it was fairly good.
    But I can't say I was scared or blown away by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Watched the last 2 last night and was a bit disappointed :/ bit corny of a finish but sure look, the bulk was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Finished it last weekend . Would agree with those saying the last episode wasn't great, thought the rest was very good though. Lots of creepy parts and a couple of jumpy parts too
    Nell between the two seats in the car!!

The one that got me most was I think episode 7, when hugh was pulling the bricks out of the wall in the basement
    Something in the background, I even rewound ( or whatever the word is now! )
    Just to check I wasn't seeing things myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭shoxter

bubblypop wrote: »
    The one that got me most was I think episode 7, when hugh was pulling the bricks out of the wall in the basement
    Something in the background, I even rewound ( or whatever the word is now! )
    Just to check I wasn't seeing things myself!

I did the exact same thing,looked like a little girl with long hair

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Watched the first episode tonight and thought it was a bit meh.
    The colour tone drove me nuts for a start and was very distracting. I mean it looks awful.

Muttering dialogue and a hell of a lot of darkly lit scenes were also extremely annoying.

I found it more draggy than atmospheric and had a hard time latching on to any of the characters.

Early doors though, I’ll watch another episode or two before deciding whether to give up on it or not.

That colour tone though. Wtf were they thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

adox wrote: »
    Watched the first episode tonight and thought it was a bit meh.
    The colour tone drove me nuts for a start and was very distracting. I mean it looks awful.

Muttering dialogue and a hell of a lot of darkly lit scenes were also extremely annoying.

I found it more draggy than atmospheric and had a hard time latching on to any of the characters.

Early doors though, I’ll watch another episode or two before deciding whether to give up on it or not.

That colour tone though. Wtf were they thinking?

Thought the colour was grand do you have a decent TV?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Thought the colour was grand do you have a decent TV?

Yeah 4k tv. Watched it in Dolby Vision.

There’s obviously a sepia filter or something added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Very enjoyable show, however I found it peaked in terms of intrigue at around episode 6.

In the last three episodes I found myself getting impatient and just wanting to get closure about what happened in the house etc.

A very good series that was one or two episodes too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Finished it. Really enjoyed it overall, although I felt the last episode was the weakest of them all.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Thought it was excellent tbh.

I'm usually not into any paranormal/horror type movies or shows but this hooked me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Awful clichéd coming-of age finale. Extremely disappointed tbh after a great run up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I wouldn't normally be into horror/paranormal type shows/movies but this really got my attention. Great series up until the last episode which was a disappointment!

I’ve revisited this after being unimpressed with the first episode.
    I don’t know if it’s because I was watching with headphones this time but I was a lot more drawn in this time and really enjoying it. I’m about half way through.

Maybe it’s because I find the three younger siblings a lot more interesting than the older two that it didn’t grab me initially, with the first episode focusing a lot on the oldest.

I know from posts on here that I’m probably set up for disappointment in the final episode but I’m going to stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,427 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Finished it...

Not sure what it was all about or for

Very unlikable characters with next to no charisma.....

Series of the usual jumps and noises, but wtf was it all about?

It just seemed to go nowhere......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

walshb wrote: »
    but wtf was it all about?

Ummmm the clue is in the name....

I thought it was very good up to the last 2 episodes and then it fell off a cliff quality wise.

Definitely would recommend it. Just a pity they couldn’t wrap it up successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,427 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ummmm the clue is in the name....

I thought it was very good up to the last 2 episodes and then it fell off a cliff quality wise.

Definitely would recommend it. Just a pity they couldn’t wrap it up successfully.

I knew when I posted that it would be jumped on...

What I mean is what was the point of a lot of it. There seemed to be no logical story for the haunting...some family lived there and some stuff happened...

I rated the show very average. At the end it all just seemed pointless...it lacked a story and it lacked continuity.

Started off with real potential and then just drifted on and on into nothing..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fifth episode felt like one of the saddest episodes of anything I've seen in some time. Almost lost for words after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Sixth episode was the highlight for me, from episode four to nine they knocked it out of the park.

The extended sequence in the funeral home (in episode six) with the thunder storm was incredibly atmospheric, really gave the surround sound system a good work out :)

Advertisement