Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever seen a short man/tall woman couple in Ireland?

• 13-06-2017 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

without high heels making the woman taller?

Keep in mind I don't mean where the man is short by the general standards of a short male (<5ft 10in) but rather he is shorter in a relationship than his girlfriend.

Despite seeing women online who say that they either wouldn't reject a man purely because he's short (i.e would date him if his personality was great) or date a man the same height as him, I have yet to see such a couple in Ireland.

Even among the 'liberal' youth (20 and under) that we hear with the trend of non-gender conformity, I've also yet to meet a couple in that age range were the boy is shorter than the girl.

So what gives, are the dating dynamics still backward in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

me_irl wrote: »
    Yes.

How massive was the height difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Who gives a rattling fck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Shur it doesn't matter when you're lying down :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It happens. I know a few fellas who are shorter than their other half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

A pal of mine is 5'6/7 and his wife is 6'2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

You're short OP? Right? Very short? Who cares? I've a pal who's a titch. He's about 5' 2". He beats them off with a stick as he has a massive personality. I'm 6' 4". I rarely need a stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You've never seen an irish couple where the womans taller??not even by an inch or so?do you go outside much? I know several personally and see quite a few around, I didnt think it was all that rare at all tbh. Couples where the woman is 3 or more inches taller is definitely rare though yeh but Ive even seen a few of those..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Michael-D-640x333.jpg

Sarcozy and Bruni are in France but still a reasonable example:

article-1224490-05B545FB000005DC-166_468x608.jpg

• Advertisement

The second President of Ireland, Sean T. O' Kelly was also a short man with a tall wife. In this picture, he and his wife are in the centre. She is holding the flowers.

adelaide_6_o%2527kelly%2Bjpeg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Michael-D-640x333.jpg

Power is apparantly an aphrodisiac.

Michael-D-640x333.jpg

And so is Tom Cruise but here's the catch my dear Pat,

Those guys compensate for their lack of perceived 'manliness' through their status and/or wealth so...although I understand where you're coming from, it's a silly comparison IMO.

You have to discuss the average man in regard to height, race, attractiveness, etc...

No arguing with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Seriously op, if you've never seen an Irish couple where the man is shorter than the woman you must be living under a rock up a long lane.
    I can think of three couples that I know well, never mind just random people you see out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Who gives a rattling fck.

Men with small penises.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Taller men make more money too.
    The struggle is real for manlets

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jenny retro

I'm 5'8", himself is about 5'4". We're not the only taller female than male couple even in our friend circle. Get out more!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My oh is about half an inch shorter than me in flats in heels I can be up to half a foot taller

However I'm ten years younger so he boasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

jeanjolie wrote: »
    without high heels making the woman taller?

Keep in mind I don't mean where the man is short by the general standards of a short male (<5ft 10in) but rather he is shorter in a relationship than his girlfriend.

Despite seeing women online who say that they either wouldn't reject a man purely because he's short (i.e would date him if his personality was great) or date a man the same height as him, I have yet to see such a couple in Ireland.

Even among the 'liberal' youth (20 and under) that we hear with the trend of non-gender conformity, I've also yet to meet a couple in that age range were the boy is shorter than the girl.

So what gives, are the dating dynamics still backward in Ireland?

The whole equality gender thing goes out the window as soon as reproduction comes into play.

Its like hippies - everyones sharing until money gets involved.

Then everybody reverts quicker than you can say 'survival and reproduction'.

Money and reproduction instincts instant highlight the bullsht and lies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

greencap wrote: »

Money and reproduction instincts instant highlight the bullsht and lies.

Anthropology consistently publishes studies highlighting how the length of different fingers relates to testosterone levels which are then linked with earning power

How is that bull****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Apparently when Rod stands on his wallet he's the same height as Penny.

rod-stewart-penny-lancaster-rod-stewart-da5e9598.jpg

And so is Tom Cruise but here's the catch my dear Pat,

Those guys compensate for their lack of perceived 'manliness' through their status and/or wealth so...although I understand where you're coming from, it's a silly comparison IMO.

You have to discuss the average man in regard to height, race, attractiveness, etc...

Well, your thread title is "have you ever seen a short man/tall woman couple in Ireland". My answer is yes.

Women tend to select men who are taller than they are. Height is a factor in male attractiveness, although it is not the be all and end all. That said, if there is some imbalance in the looks stakes or otherwise, it is often made up somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Apparently when Rod stands on his wallet he's the same height as Penny.

rod-stewart-penny-lancaster-rod-stewart-da5e9598.jpg

I don't think it ever matters what height the bloke is as long as he is famous or very wealthy.

Stheno wrote: »
    Anthropology consistently publishes studies highlighting how the length of different fingers relates to testosterone levels which are then linked with earning power

How is that bull****?

what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Borrowing a saying from the rural funny sayings thread-
    A fallen tree is easily climbed. :)

Borrowing a saying from the rural funny sayings thread-
    A fallen tree is easily climbed. :)

girl on top reference ... or fight reference??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

One of my best friends is 5'11". and her husband is 5'6".

A girl I work with is 6' and while I don't know her husband's exact height, I know he's much smaller.

My mam is about 4 inches taller than my Dad.

So, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

One of my best friends is 5'11". and her husband is 5'6".

A girl I work with is 6' and while I don't know her husband's exact height, I know he's much smaller.

My mam is about 4 inches taller than my Dad.

So, yes.

Black swans...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The average man is a few inches taller than the average woman so it's much more likely that the man will be taller.

Having said that, I know couples where that are the same height or the woman is a bit taller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Yup, I'm. 5ft 6 and my wife is just shy of 6ft.

Punching way above my weight (and height) but sure after 12 years I think it's safe to say she has no issue with my height!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

RiseToMe wrote: »

Punching way above my weight (and height) but sure after 12 years I think it's safe to say she has no issue with my height!

Does she call you by your username?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Sorry

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Does she call you by your username?

Of course, that was her chat up line sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Do you get comments/looks from people ever when you're together?

wakka12 wrote: »
    Do you get comments/looks from people ever when you're together?

Honestly, can't say I've ever noticed. The only comment ever was at the midwife the other day when they were measuring the baby (Mrs is pregnant) and mentioned height doesn't come from the mothers side! But she quickly followed it up with a joke about her own height, she's just about 5'1.

These answers seem to good to be true...I believe you 100% obviously, but this might be selection bias.

In reality, it's still pretty damn rare to see a couple where the woman is taller in Dublin in terms of a weekly or even monthly occurence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Michael-D-640x333.jpg

Michael and Sabrina got married in 1974, it wasn't a recent lap of the disco since he became president. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

In fairness - and I mean this with no malice, sincerely - I just think you need to get out more and try not to feel as self conscious.

I'm shortish- 5'9 - and I have never felt height to be an issue with women down through the years. Even if you are a short man you'll probably be taller than the majority of women out there. I wouldn't get hung up on it.

I remember being 18-19 and being convinced that no woman ever could possibly find me an attractive proposition because of things I perceived to huge physical problems with my appearance. Looking back, most, if not all of it was entirely in my head. For instance, I was convinced for ages that my ears were comically massive and I felt very self conscious about it. I don't know how or why I snapped out of that particular hang up, but I eventually did and now I can't believe I wasted so much negative mental energy on that fixation, which I'm sure, nobody else even noticed or thought about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Well I've never seen a couple where the woman completely towers above the man, but I know plenty of women who are slightly taller than their fella, usually a couple of inches at the most. It's common enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Men with small penises.

SHUT UP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The master of the classic (that is, sitting around, rattling brain for something to ask/say) threads strikes again.

Well I've never seen a couple where the woman completely towers above the man, but I know plenty of women who are slightly taller than their fella, usually a couple of inches at the most. It's common enough.

Let's be honest, this is a sign that Ireland is a backwards country in regards to gender equality compared to other European nations.

I wish people would stop praising this country when we still make fun of men who wear 'skinny jeans' that fit them perfectly, call well dressed men/women 'too posh', and still have problems with trans people using bathrooms.

It's a joke isn't it..?

Let's be honest, this is a sign that Ireland is a backwards country in regards to gender equality compared to other European nations.

Perhaps there should be grants for shorter men to purchase stilts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I wish people would stop praising this country when we still make fun of men who wear 'skinny jeans' that fit them perfectly, call well dressed men/women 'too posh', and still have problems with trans people using bathrooms.

It's a joke isn't it..?

What does a couple's height difference have to do with gender equality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

bee06 wrote: »

It's a joke isn't it..?

What does a couple's height difference have to do with gender equality?

I would guess that he'll alluding to the fact that it is generally seen as more acceptable by society for a woman to be short rather than a man. You wouldn't have seen the below story if we had a female president who was the same height as Mickey-D
    https://www.thejournal.ie/president-height-bullying-1877170-Jan2015/

On the other hand, I suppose it's more accepted by society for a man to be overweight than for a lady to be a fat wobbly chunky monkey. Swings and roundabouts sez you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

How exactly is women being slightly taller than their partners indicative that Ireland is backwards when it comes to gender equality? Didn't you already say you've never seen these sort of couples anyway?

How exactly is women being slightly taller than their partners indicative that Ireland is backwards when it comes to gender equality? Didn't you already say you've never seen these sort of couples anyway?

A mistake on your part, I said that I've never seen more than 1 in Ireland where the woman was taller and that was only by a few inches.

The fact that there are a lot of short woman tall man couples in Ireland even when people can get partners of their height still tells me that gender dynamics matter to the overwhelming majority of Irish people.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This might come as a shocking surprise, Jean, but in Ireland women are on average several inches shorter than men. There needs to be a referendum to change this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement