Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I honestly don't see that as the reason. I get the whole Russia thing, but I don't think he did anything intentionally to harm the US (although his actions would have that effect) but I think he was out to make money/power for himself.

So I don't think he is failing to fill posts for some conspiracy, I think he really doesn't give a sh1£. What benefit is there to him in doing all that work? He simply wants to get tax breaks, get as much money as possible and get to live like a king (in terms of power, he already had the money).

Overall I see his underlying reason as being to take down Obama, simple as. It is easier to suspect a conspiracy as that gives us someone to hate, and those that were fooled can console themselves that it was a vast conspiracy that they had little chance against rather than just a failure on their part.

He comes across, to me, as quite lazy. Whatever is the easiest option. So if provided with a name I bet he does very little to actually check things. Listen to his press conferences. A lot of "I was told", "somebody said", "who knew" etc. This is a man that takes whatever info is thrown at him and simply accepts the bits that fit his thinking without asking any questions, and never considers the source.

It is hard to accept that version of him and also to accept that he was a major player in a vast conspiracy. Was he played? Yes, it certainly appears so, but more so as a lackey rather than some evil mastermind.

It can be explained in one word; Bannon. He's Trump's Rasputin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm not calling him a mastermind by any wild stretch - from day one his campaign and now presidency is right out of the standard Kremlin playbook, most notably Vladislav Surkov and this is extended in how the Russian affair has tried to cover a number of angles in order to generate confusion.

He's a lackey and absolutely no mastermind of anything, no doubt there - but he's a lackey who's able to do what those who are planning it cannot, namely to actively get in the way of Russian sanctions (which have not been too kind of Putin) and do all he can to divide the US and cause serious damage to it's government structures as he is told to, to act as a retaliation on their behalf. Due to reasons you point out, he's really got to be absurdly easy to manipulate once you've got access, just tell him he's great and this will make him greater and he'll do it without even batting an eyelid.

The mutual benefit is of course that he gets to stroke his own ego and suck as much money out of the country for his own pockets like the leech that he is. Trump would burn the world to the ground for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I honestly don't see that as the reason. I get the whole Russia thing, but I don't think he did anything intentionally to harm the US (although his actions would have that effect) but I think he was out to make money/power for himself.

So I don't think he is failing to fill posts for some conspiracy, I think he really doesn't give a sh1£. What benefit is there to him in doing all that work? He simply wants to get tax breaks, get as much money as possible and get to live like a king (in terms of power, he already had the money).

Overall I see his underlying reason as being to take down Obama, simple as. It is easier to suspect a conspiracy as that gives us someone to hate, and those that were fooled can console themselves that it was a vast conspiracy that they had little chance against rather than just a failure on their part.

He comes across, to me, as quite lazy. Whatever is the easiest option. So if provided with a name I bet he does very little to actually check things. Listen to his press conferences. A lot of "I was told", "somebody said", "who knew" etc. This is a man that takes whatever info is thrown at him and simply accepts the bits that fit his thinking without asking any questions, and never considers the source.

It is hard to accept that version of him and also to accept that he was a major player in a vast conspiracy. Was he played? Yes, it certainly appears so, but more so as a lackey rather than some evil mastermind.

A lot of the objections to Trump as president is that by now he must know he was played by US citizens and Russian agents but is doing nothing to prevent himself being played by those same people again, happy to play along with them while crying out the mantra "fake news" when he told he's wearing no clothes. That to me is the essence of being unfaithful to the office he holds and disloyal to the U.S. and all that signifies/strengthens it as a country & nation. The day may come when he's entered into the U.S. history books as the modern-day General Benedict Arnold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

But of course let's forget what happened under the previous POTUS.

FBI KEPT RUSSIAN BRIBERY PLOT UNDER WRAPS BEFORE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION APPROVED NUCLEAR DEAL WITH MOSCOW
    The Obama administration signed a controversial nuclear deal with Moscow despite prior FBI findings that Russian officials were bribing their way into the U.S. atomic energy industry, according to government documents just published by The Hill.
    But the Obama administration insisted no evidence existed of Russian interference and that there were no national security concerns for committee members to go against the deal in 2010.
    The deal that boosted Vladimir Putin’s nuclear footprint in the U.S. took place in October 2010 when the State Department and the Committee on Foreign Investment unanimously agreed to a partial sale of Uranium One, a Canadian mining company, to the major Russian nuclear company Rosatom, effectively sending more than 20 percent of the U.S.’s uranium to Moscow.
    FBI agents also gathered documents and a witness account that Russian officials routed millions of dollars to ex-President Bill Clinton’s charitable foundation while Secretary of State Hillary Clinton sat on a committee that gave a nod to the dealings with Moscow.
    The Department of Justice investigated the Russian plot for close to four years, keeping the information under wraps while the Obama administration approved the deal instead of bringing immediate charges,

"But Obama".... I'll save ye typing that.:rolleyes:

Celticfire wrote: »
    Good to know you're openly aware of how pathetically transparent what you're trying is. Here's a handy link for you.

If you want to talk about the World Cup playoff draw, there's a thread for that too. Want to look up funny pictures? There's also one of those! That's the concept of thread topics, but you already knew that. The mods have already said as much for a reason, repeatedly actually, on a number of occasions so go along now and feel free to make your own thread on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

You have to hand it to Trump.
    He finds new ways to **** up every week.
    He has no capacity whatsoever to take blame.
    Some reporter asks him about why he hasn't written letters to the families of the soldiers who died in Niger.
    His instinctive response is to make up lies about his predecessors. It's truly incredulous that such a child is POTUS.

FBI KEPT RUSSIAN BRIBERY PLOT UNDER WRAPS BEFORE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION APPROVED NUCLEAR DEAL WITH MOSCOW

I see the present DAG and the present Deputy head of the FBI approved of by Don were, according to the leak, in on the bigger picture. Do you think Don should fire them for dereliction or malfeasance of office?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This is actually quite staggering.

The ineptitude of Trump is incredible. How can he make so many wrong decisions in such a short period of time? How can anyone still have any faith that this man has any ability to make the right calls?

I find it really strange that he is still in the mid 30's in approval, although that needs to be considered in the context that there is no external reasons for POTUS to be unpopular at this point in time (economy is doing well etc).

So what is holding those 30 odd percent in place? He has achieved nothing, continues to make gaffs on a daily basis and seemingly is incapable of making a decision.

He likes to sell himself as the CEO, but a CEO on this run of disasters would be in all likelyhood removed from the post.
    Today's letter is: the letter "R"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

I think the correct line is " But her emails ". They love to downplay it whilst there's mountains of evidence of corruption and collusion. Where were they then or why don't they speak out about it?

Hypocrites to the last :)

This is the main story, John Solomon doing gods work.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/355749-fbi-uncovered-russian-bribery-plot-before-obama-administration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Billy86 wrote: »
    Good to know you're openly aware of how pathetically transparent what you're trying is. Here's a handy link for you.

If you want to talk about the World Cup playoff draw, there's a thread for that too. Want to look up funny pictures? There's also one of those! That's the concept of thread topics, but you already knew that. The mods have already said as much for a reason, repeatedly actually, on a number of occasions so go along now and feel free to make your own thread on it.

Thank you for your concern and ability to overlook and ignore the breaking story that I posted. Mods I'm quite sure will give me an infraction or warning if they feel the need. Considering many recent posts were pushing the Russia narrative and considering Trump a traitor and spy I find it amusing and hypocritical of same posters to ignore this and just fob it off. Especially you with your CT forum type posts regarding Russia I would think that you would be outraged that something like that could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Thank you for your concern and ability to overlook and ignore the breaking story that I posted. Mods I'm quite sure will give me an infraction or warning if they feel the need. Considering many recent posts were pushing the Russia narrative and considering Trump a traitor and spy I find it amusing and hypocritical of same posters to ignore this and just fob it off. Especially you with your CT forum type posts regarding Russia I would think that you would be outraged that something like that could happen.

Do I approve of Obama's actions? Absolutely not, many also used other areas of Obama's foreign policy to defend Trump but like this it shows that even in an area of weakness for Obama he is still stronger than Trump. I am not going to justify how Obama ignored that investigation but Trump still has a massive list of failings with regards to Russia.

Note: It would only he hypocrisy if people approved of Obama's actions. He is however not president right now making his actions a little less pressing.

Or of course it could be that no one is willing to defend Trump by discussing Trump (a rather impossible task) on the thread of Donald Trump.

Considering many recent posts were pushing the Russia narrative and considering Trump a traitor and spy I find it amusing and hypocritical of same posters to ignore this and just fob it off.

They don't care, this threads sole purpose is for people who hate Trump to pat each other on the back. She sold out the US state department and used the Clinton foundation as a money laundering scheme to enrich herself and Bill. One on a long list was the Uranium deal which was referred to as a conspiracy theory anytime it was brought up. Now that there's actual documentary evidence it's just ignored. Same thing as the Haiti corruption, less than 10% of the total money donated went to Haiti charities / relief. They will say this is all off topic but these are the same people who ignored all this stuff doing the election. Very little about the Russian allegations concerning Trump is based in fact, it's all hearsay, sources and speculation with the usual culprits frothing at the mouth. Those ignoring one side and speculating wildly on the other are hypocrites, plain and simple, always have been.

https://apnews.com/82df550e1ec646098b434f7d5771f625

"More than half the people outside the government who met with Hillary Clinton while she was secretary of state gave money — either personally or through companies or groups — to the Clinton Foundation. It’s an extraordinary proportion indicating her possible ethics challenges if elected president."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fobs-hillarys-state-dept-gave-special-attention-friends/story?id=42615379

"In a series of candid email exchanges with top Clinton Foundation officials during the hours after the massive 2010 Haiti earthquake, a senior aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton repeatedly gave special attention to those identified by the abbreviations “FOB” (friends of Bill Clinton) or “WJC VIPs” (William Jefferson Clinton VIPs). "

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37826098

"A US Government Accountability Office report discovered no hint of wrongdoing, but concluded the IHRC's decisions were "not necessarily aligned with Haitian priorities".Mr Clinton's own office at the UN found 9% of the foreign aid cash went to the Haitian government and 0.6% to local organisations."

Noel82 wrote: »
    They don't care, this threads sole purpose is for people who hate Trump to pat each other on the back.

It is for a discussion on Donald Trump. Admittedly there are not that many positive posts (I have several) but no one has offered an actual defense of Donald Trump in quite some time. Hardly the fault of those of us who dislike Trump that people are not willing/able to defend the man.

The best I have seen as a defense is go Trump or he is a great liar and all politicians are bad so who cares.

The previous post was about Obama and now we have a post detailing stuff on Hillary. None of which is a defense of Trump.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

They don't care, this threads sole purpose is for people who hate Trump to pat each other on the back.
    ...says someone who presumably doesn't hate Trump and isn't using this thread to pat Trump-haters on the back. So I guess you're wrong about the thread's sole purpose.

That said, for some reason you're frantically trying to talk about a past Secretary of State in a thread that's about the current President. It's almost as if you can't find anything positive to say about a man who's objectively the worst president ever, so you're desperate to change the subject.

But maybe that's just me being a Trump-hater. Please feel free to explain to me how Trump is Making America Great Again, and how tired you are of winning.

Christy42 wrote: »

The previous post was about Obama and now we have a post detailing stuff on Hillary. None of which is a defense of Trump.

It's somewhat relevant. There are still big questions concerning the FBI and there connections to the firm who created the Steele dossier and whether or not they behaved in a Political manner or offered payments.

Anyhow, I've said my piece. :)

• Advertisement

I think the correct line is " But her emails ".
    Jared Kushner is not a woman by the way, but he is a part of the Trump administration. :)

Jared Kushner is not a woman by the way, but he is a part of the Trump administration. :)

Which just proves you are totally missing the point again. It's not that she used a private email server, that act alone isn't a big deal, it's why she used it then deleted hoards of them after being subpoenaed. Remember it's not like she used a gmail account like Kushner did, she had people set up an actual server hidden away within a loft within a Mom and Pop shop. Look at the AP link I posted above, you can probably put two and two together, probably.

Admittingly this has gone off topic, sayonara!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

CelticFire, we have had no poster defend Obama on this (maybe as its only breaking) but I do find it odd that you are so wanted to get involved in a discussion about possible Russian collusion.

If this story is true, then there is plenty of agencies available to undertake whatever investigation is required to get to the facts. From your link, it would certainly appear that there is something there, although there is little in terms of actual evidence more a this happened, then this, and then this so must have been linked to Russia.

But on the basis that you think this is such an important story, then surely you agree that a sitting POTUS, currently potentially under the control of foreign interests is even more important, and certainly not something that can simply be called Fake News, which is exactly what Trump has been calling it for months.

Obama can do no further damage, and HC didn't get in. So from a immediate threat POV this is not there. The allegations against Trump are in play as we speak. So by all means this story should be looked very deeply into, maybe reinstate whatever FBI investigation was there, special prosecutor etc. Drag Obama in to testify.

But, if you think that is the way to go then why are you so against the accusations against Trump?

In terms of Trump, we have actual evidence, provided by Trump Jr, of actual attempted collusion, rather than an assumption of collusion. Yet I have seen no posts from you asking why Trump lied about his sons meeting. And if Trump didn't lie, then why no sanction those around him that did know (Jared for example).

Which just proves you are totally missing the point again. It's not that she used a private email server, that act alone isn't a big deal, it's why she used it then deleted hoards of them after being subpoenaed. Remember it's not like she used a gmail account like Kushner did, she had people set up an actual server hidden away within a loft within a Mom and Pop shop. Look at the AP link I posted above, you can probably put two and two together, probably.

Admittingly this has gone off topic, sayonara!
    Not remotely actually, the email stuff was of course dodgy - there's no doubt about that, but the bang of hypocrisy has become so predictable from the Trump administration as to be standard... and this is a thread about the Trump administration after all. Though there is a pretty big problem with your overall point:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/us/politics/private-email-trump-kushner-bannon.html
    "Most of Mr. Trump’s aides used popular commercial email services like Gmail. Mr. Kushner created a domain, IJKFamily.com, in December to host his family’s personal email. That domain was hosted by GoDaddy on a server in Arizona, records show."
    It appear Clinton's email was also hosted by GoDaddy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not remotely actually, the email stuff was of course dodgy - there's no doubt about that, but the bang of hypocrisy has become so predictable from the Trump administration as to be standard... and this is a thread about the Trump administration after all. Though there is a pretty big problem with your overall point:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/us/politics/private-email-trump-kushner-bannon.html

My understanding with the email issue is that the two big differences are nothing to do with the server or who was on it, but the questions of the use of classified material on that server, and adherence with the record-keeping legislation. Thus far, there has been no indication of Kushner handling classified info, and he claims to have put his official email address on the cc line of anything sent from his account relating to work, which would meet the record-keeping requirements.

Interesting take on the upcoming senate races on CNN today. Surprisingly, it seems the Republicans are going to gain, Trump or no Trump. http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/17/politics/senate-2018-midterms-race-rankings-october/index.html

The house is going to be another matter entirely, though, I suspect.

• Advertisement

It's somewhat relevant. There are still big questions concerning the FBI and there connections to the firm who created the Steele dossier and whether or not they behaved in a Political manner or offered payments.

Anyhow, I've said my piece. :)

Vaguely relevant. Given that this style is the only attempted defense of Trump and is just trotted out repeatedly.

You can see how that wears thin after a while when people complain that people only complain about Trump here but are unable/unwilling to write a post about Trump actually defending the man themselves.

My understanding with the email issue is that the two big differences are nothing to do with the server or who was on it, but the questions of the use of classified material on that server, and adherence with the record-keeping legislation. Thus far, there has been no indication of Kushner handling classified info, and he claims to have put his official email address on the cc line of anything sent from his account relating to work, which would meet the record-keeping requirements.

Interesting take on the upcoming senate races on CNN today. Surprisingly, it seems the Republicans are going to gain, Trump or no Trump. http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/17/politics/senate-2018-midterms-race-rankings-october/index.html

The house is going to be another matter entirely, though, I suspect.
    'Thus far' because we are very early in that story (if I am correct, it only broke about 3-4 weeks ago), we know he used it for state business but have not seen what was in them. I believe it was only last summer that it came to light there were classified emails in Clinton's bunch for example, despite the scandal coming to light way back in 2014.

I get a funny feeling Wikileaks and co won't be in a huge rush to obtain these emails, though. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Christy42 wrote: »
    Vaguely relevant. Given that this style is the only attempted defense of Trump and is just trotted out repeatedly.

You can see how that wears thin after a while when people complain that people only complain about Trump here but are unable/unwilling to write a post about Trump actually defending the man themselves.

There isn't a defence of trump. Him and his administration are utterly repugnant.

It especially wears thin when it's the same poster that bring up Clinton under a new name. Maybe it's the book launch. Got these guys in a tizzy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

oscarBravo wrote: »
    When it comes to running the country anything does go. It is win at all costs, that is the reality.
    And we can all see just how tired of winning America has become since January.
    The genius behind the Trump campaign was...
    ...convincing useful idiots that there was anything other than malevolent psychotic chaos behind the Trump campaign.

When I see Trump supporters clapping gleefully at whatever mindless gibberish Trump last came out with, I'm reminded of nothing so much as toddlers captivated by the antics of a clown.

There's something a little bit pathetic and sad about the people who are still trying to convince others - and, presumably, themselves - that Trump is some sort of brilliant strategist.
    Trump strategy worked perfectly. You do not become the President of the US if you don't have a strategy on how to achieve it. He tapped into the hatred of Hillary, an unpopular candidate in many important strategic states in America. What baffles me is people who don't want to acknowledge it. 

Unless he won the important strategic Northern states which he cut through (look at the map) he wouldn't have won. The rust belt states proved crucial, Trump was saying the right things in order to win in those states. His Presidency didn't just happen overnight, he worked very hard to become the President.

He was all over the country making speeches constantly, playing the populist card, saying what people wanted to hear in a time of anti establishment feeling against a candidate who wasn't that popular in decisive states. People underestimating Trump is the downfall of them. That is what happened in 2016.

Trump running a conventional campaign was never going to work, he would never have won if he tried it. It's not in his character, Trump just being Trump at that time in history worked wonders for him. Problem for Hillary was she too was just being Hillary in a time which required her not to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Looks like Canada's loss is Europe's gain as Airbus snaps up the Bombardier operation for a bargain basement price.

Thank-you Mr President :)

MLP sums it up quite well.

Trump won basically because he wasn't HC. People knew he was making things up as he went along, had no agenda, no experience and would probably be a poor POTUS.

He also tapped into the barely below the surface racism and elitism built into society as well as a longer for some picture postcard version of the US (but only if you are christian and white).

Far from being surprised that HC lost it is acually quite an achievement that a woman got that close. HC was fighting against the one thing she couldn't beat, herself. Peoples hated of her, meant they were basically willing to hold their nose and vote for a known liar, fraudster, non christian. Basically everything that they professed to be against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

recedite wrote: »
    Looks like Canada's loss is Europe's gain as Airbus snaps up the Bombardier operation for a bargain basement price.

They simply played the US, by doing a joint venture with Airbus the C series can now get around tariffs. Boeing will now have lost Canidian and UK military orders worth in the billions such orders being picked up by Airbus. Boeing and twat for president been played. Airbus leaves after a mega mile drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Its funny watching them point at Clinton and Obama and expect some sort of reaction. They have yet to realise that most people don't have a weird devotion towards politicians that they do.

If I compared my hero to the two worst people in the history of humanity I would probably think what I was doing, but I suppose the key difference is I would be thinking about it and not just copying what I've been told to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

recedite wrote: »

My favourite quote from this article, :P i would have loved to be sitting in on that board room meeting. Looks Trumps mantra of protectionism is working a treat....

"In bringing a trade case against Bombardier, Boeing seems to have forgotten the first law of all playground scuffles: if you pick a fight, always be sure to land the knock-out punch. Airbus just delivered it."

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Cbs news is reporting that Donald trump told one of the widows of the soilders killed in Niger that he "knew what he signed up for" I mean yes her husband probably did know the risks involved in being in the US army but you don't say after he's dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

They simply played the US, by doing a joint venture with Airbus the C series can now get around tariffs. Boeing will now have lost Canidian and UK military orders worth in the billions such orders being picked up by Airbus. Boeing and twat for president been played. Airbus leaves after a mega mile drop.

Probably off-topic (this is the Trump thread after all). It's not guaranteed about the tariffs - anything goes more or less till the judges rule on the tariff, but just because Airbus builds a plant in Alabama doesn't mean the USG can't tariff them. Especially given the lack of judges these days and the wild man and his cronys setting policy (Wilbur Ross, Commerce Secretary). They'll do what their handlers are paying them to do, currently that's Boeing for this deal. Best government money can buy.

Still, Airbus sure does seem a winner here, Bombardier the loser and Boeing probably no better off had they done and said nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Big win for team Trump with ISIS having their arses handed to them all over Iraq and Syria. If Clinton had won she'd be air dropping them supplies instead of bombing them back to the dark ages.

Stock market also soaring to new levels unseen before

Economy on the up

Jobs on the up

Trump 2020. It's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Not biting.

Anyway - giving some more thought to this tirade on taking a knee... isn't it incredible that Trump gets to tell folks who don't stand for the anthem that they are disrespecting the troops, when he

- live on television insulted McCain for getting captured and tortured
    - live on television insulted the family of those that died
    - dodged the draft himself

Can anyone think of any more?

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Big win for team Trump with ISIS having their arses handed to them all over Iraq and Syria. If Clinton had won she'd be air dropping them supplies instead of bombing them back to the dark ages.

What different policy has Trump instigated that has led to this and thus you giving him the credit rather than to the Iraqis/Kurds. Is it not a continuation of the policies that Obama brought in? The logical conclusion of the vastly superior force over the continued degredation of the weaker enemy?

I fail to see how this can be attributed to Team Trump. If you want to, then surely you must agree that Obama must go down as one of the greatest POTUS in history for managed to get Osama Bin Laden?
    Stock market also soaring to new levels unseen before

It is very difficult to attribute any one thing to the success, or indeed failure, of the stock market. Certainly the stock market seems to reflect the confidence of the markets that the business environment is positive for the future and this, I would think, is mainly based on the very deep tax cuts that Trump is promising. But the stock market was in period of growth before Trump became POTUS, he has not increased that course in any significant way. At least you can say that he has not had a negative impact, which is good.

But in no other developed country is the stock market used as a position on the health of the economy. GDP growth, unemployment, balance of trade etc are far more meaningful indicators.
    Economy on the up

Economy was on the up during Obama. The best that can be said is that Trump has no derailed it. It is early in his admin, so nothing he could have done would have much effect either way, so it is strange that you are claiming this as anything to do with Trump.

On the other side, growth of the economy is fairly low, and falling behind the EU. Certainly, whilst of course any growth is preferrable to decline, the level of growth remains a serious concern.
    Jobs on the up

Except of course fr last month where there was a net loss. But even ignoring that, jobs growth was pretty constant under Obama and the statistics show that Trump is actually failing behind Obama in the rate of employment.
    Trump 2020. It's happening.

That may vrey well be true, it would certainly be unusual that a sitting POTUS would not rerun for president. But what has Trump achieved that is of such significance that would wipe out the continuing concerns about his suitability for office. Thus far he has failed to get any legislation progress, and only yesterday his latest travel ban was held up in the courts again. He has been forced to blow up ObamaCare with no replacement in sight.
    He has failed in Puerto Rico, hasn't delivered any coal jobs, hasn't done anything to change the current situation regarding international trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

everlast75 wrote: »
    Not biting.

Anyway - giving some more thought to this tirade on taking a knee... isn't it incredible that Trump gets to tell folks who don't stand for the anthem that they are disrespecting the troops, when he

- live on television insulted McCain for getting captured and tortured
    - live on television insulted the family of those that died
    - dodged the draft himself

Can anyone think of any more?
    latest one is that he repeatedly told the pregnant widow of a sergeant, "He knew what he was signing up for." http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-18/donald-trump-tells-soldiers-widow-he-knew-what-he-signed-up-for/9062240

Must be interesting going through life with no empathy. Narcissitic Personality Disorder to a T. Empathy's just a tool they use to get emotional feeds....

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Trump strategy worked perfectly.
    It still is. He's still managing to convince people that he's the most brilliant politician in the history of the world, because - like no politician before or since - he got elected.

If that's what it takes to impress you with his dazzling brilliance, I have a few county councillors I must introduce you to, you'd love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I think the correct line is " But her emails ". They love to downplay it whilst there's mountains of evidence of corruption and collusion. Where were they then or why don't they speak out about it?

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/355749-fbi-uncovered-russian-bribery-plot-before-obama-administration

It should be investigated and charges brought if there were any shenanigans. I'll gladly lead the chants of "Lock her up!".

You seem to be assuming that I and others here have the same devotion to Hillary as you do to Trump. I guess when you have no case to make for the defence of Trump, you're left with nothing but whataboutism and projection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It should be investigated and charges brought if there were any shenanigans. I'll gladly lead the chants of "Lock her up!".

You seem to be assuming that I and others here have the same devotion to Hillary as you do to Trump. I guess when you have no case to make for the defence of Trump, you're left with nothing but whataboutism and projection.

Everyone seems to be glossing over the fact that this was already investigated by the FBI and some russian businessman was prosecuted and went to prison for money laundering, I have yet to hear of the FBI opening a new investigation although a senate probe has been started apparently. We shall see. Unconfirmed and unnamed sources have alleged that a lot of Russian money was funnelled through the clinton foundation although there doesn't seem to be any proof. Probably a bit too early to start the "lock her up" chant :pac:

Hypocrisy is Trump the pussy grabber cosying up to evangelical "Christians" the other day. And them cheering for him as well.

• Advertisement

He's at it again. Two tweets from The Donald this morning:

Wow, FBI confirms report that James Comey drafted letter exonerating Crooked Hillary Clinton long before investigation was complete. Many..
    ...people not interviewed, including Clinton herself. Comey stated under oath that he didn't do this-obviously a fix? Where is Justice Dept?

Another straw man.

Igotadose wrote: »
    latest one is that he repeatedly told the pregnant widow of a sergeant, "He knew what he was signing up for." http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-18/donald-trump-tells-soldiers-widow-he-knew-what-he-signed-up-for/9062240

Must be interesting going through life with no empathy. Narcissitic Personality Disorder to a T. Empathy's just a tool they use to get emotional feeds....

One of the other major U.S. news stations reported the Sgt was left behind in the evac from the ambush and not recovered for two days, and that on the day his remains arrived in the U'S. Don was out playing golf. US Congresswoman Frederica Wilson stated she in the car with the Sgt's widow when Don's call came through on speaker and heard what he said. Don has since claimed in one of his tweets, that C/Woman Wilson fabricated what he said to the widow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It wasn't enough to tell the widow of a soldier that "he knew what he signed up for". He is now going in for another attack against her and calling her a lair and claims to have proof.

Even if he does have proof and releases a recording of the conversation that doesn't make Trump look good. WTF is he even suggesting that he is keeping recordings of the phone calls to widows of service personnel for?

robinph wrote: »
    It wasn't enough to tell the widow of a soldier that "he knew what he signed up for". He is now going in for another attack against her and calling her a lair and claims to have proof.

Even if he does have proof and releases a recording of the conversation that doesn't make Trump look good. WTF is he even suggesting that he is keeping recordings of the phone calls to widows of service personnel for?

He's out of his depth. Nuance and perception are concepts beyond The Donald.
    In all of this, I wonder how Kelly is feeling about his son's death being used by The Donald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

If he has proof he should show it, all we have is the word of a democrat who called for his impeachment and his general awfulness, sadly that should not be enough for either side to get the pitchfork out.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    If he has proof he should show it, all we have is the word of a democrat who called for his impeachment and his general awfulness, sadly that should not be enough for either side to get the pitchfork out.

But yet again he has landed himself in this mess. This doesn't happen to other presidents. Even if the Dem is lying, the mere fact that she thinks she can say this and be believed by so many is a problem for Trump and the GOP.

Basically there is a majority of the country that have no respect for the current POTUS

He should be big enough to simply walk away. Say "I called his wife and expressed my condolences and the thanks of each and every American for his sacrifice. I won't comment on the specifics of the call as that is a private matter"

Simple. Defuses the whole thing and instantly makes the Dem look foolish. The man is so easy to read and so easy to bait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

But yet again he has landed himself in this mess. This doesn't happen to other presidents. Even if the Dem is lying, the mere fact that she thinks she can say this and be believed by so many is a problem for Trump and the GOP.

Basically there is a majority of the country that have no respect for the current POTUS

He should be big enough to simply walk away. Say "I called his wife and expressed my condolences and the thanks of each and every American for his sacrifice. I won't comment on the specifics of the call as that is a private matter"

Simple. Defuses the whole thing and instantly makes the Dem look foolish. The man is so easy to read and so easy to bait.

Oh look the man is a farce, anyone who denies that is on the beer, and tbh I'd very much believe the worst when it comes to this call, but will give some slight benefit of the doubt if the transcript proves him "right".

Agreed though, little to be gained by not killing the story asap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Of course there will be a recording of the call, but to release it would be so impossibly wrong. It wouldn't even be in the same universe of the level of disrespect to the military as the people kneeling down in protest (which isn't disrespecting the military or flag of course). To even vaguely suggest that there is a recording that may be released is massively shameful on the position of president.

Those recordings and transcripts of what was said exist, but their release absolutely do not belong to him or even the nation. They should be highest level of classification, never to be released or even spoken of.

Of course there will be a recording of the call, but to release it would be so impossibly wrong. It wouldn't even be in the same universe of the level of disrespect to the military as the people kneeling down in protest (which isn't disrespecting the military or flag of course). To even vaguely suggest that there is a recording that may be released is massively shameful on the position of president.

Those recordings and transcripts of what was said exist, but their release absolutely do not belong to him or even the nation. They should be highest level of classification, never to be released or even spoken of.

Indeed they should. But respect and empathy are alien concepts to Trump. He will do whatever it takes for him to preserve and defend his Ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

were the tapes of the Comey chat ever released?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Trump strategy worked perfectly.
    It still is. He's still managing to convince people that he's the most brilliant politician in the history of the world, because - like no politician before or since - he got elected.

If that's what it takes to impress you with his dazzling brilliance, I have a few county councillors I must introduce you to, you'd love them.
    All over the place on this Oscar. He is the US President, in charge of the most powerful military in the world. He is not a two bit councillor. 

Seeing Trump getting criticized for apparently saying the soldier who died knew what he was signing up for. It's just the truth.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement