Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

So this Commission on Electoral Integrity is a Trump administration invention signed into effect by his executive order. How long is it til the SC sits again and the legality of the commission's requests will be passed up the chain to it by appeals from lower federal courts rulings? It's plain as the hair on Don's head that that will be the way things will go if he behaves as usual to get his way. What will the AG or his deputy do if asked to state cases to the courts on the commission's behalf, and will there be a difference in legal opinion in the DOJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If Joe and Mika have any proofs of senior WH staff attempting blackmail on the National Enquirer story, that could turn very serious.

It's the little things.......

Water John wrote: »
    If Joe and Mika have any proofs of senior WH staff attempting blackmail on the National Enquirer story, that could turn very serious.

Dylan Howard's denials on behalf of the National Inquirer seem to be about claims never made by Mika and Joe, so it looks like it is obliquely passing the buck back to the Oval Office.

I actually think, Don could run into right trouble on this one.
    Both are well respected and connected with both GOP and DNC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Big things, little things!! the man is immune to any sense of normal decency and shame unfortunately so i wouldn't hold your breath. Any other normal human being would be long gone at this stage.

The only way he is going to go is officially either when he looses the next election bigly or he gets impeached and thatvwont happen until late 2018 at earliest.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

I still think, if this type of thing goes further, and his mental state becomes publicly questionable, the GOP may opt for Mike Pence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fox News reporting that Don has said he's agreeable with the Obama Health Care plan being repealed first, and a replacement put in place at a later time, if the GOP in the Senate can't pass the GOP bill. Fox News says this is something that Rand Paul suggested and the Senate.[presumably the GOP part of it] is weighing [up] separate repeal and replace bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

aloyisious wrote: »
    Fox News reporting that Don has said he's agreeable with the Obama Health Care plan being repealed first, and a replacement put in place at a later time, if the GOP in the Senate can't pass the GOP bill. Fox News says this is something that Rand Paul suggested and the Senate.[presumably the GOP part of it] is weighing [up] separate repeal and replace bills.

Part of me almost wants them to just go ahead and do it. The chaos would be great and maybe trump's base might start to wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Part of me almost wants them to just go ahead and do it. The chaos would be great and maybe trump's base might start to wake up.

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

I still think, if this type of thing goes further, and his mental state becomes publicly questionable, the GOP may opt for Mike Pence.

His mental state was questionable months ago. The GOP will not admit what a horrendous choice they made until strictly necessary.

I mean come on. This is a man who earned plaudits as soon as he learned to read a speech for the entire speech and managed it once. Not even consistently. Who knows, maybe he was intentionally setting low standards to help him later but given his recent speeches I doubt it.

At this point I care less and less about poor people who abstained or voted for him. The rich are fine either way. At least the poor voters who voted who voted for Hillary attempted to slow down how badly they would screwed over. In fact I would include anyone who regrets voting for him. He did promise more people covered at lower premiums and I can see how people would get fooled by him. I can't understand how anyone would still claim he is a good president.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm looking forward to the Trump talking points tomorrow.

It's too late for a proper post but remember how the Trump talking points turned to "Collusion isn't a crime" last week? It was like Trump knew something would drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Unfortunately it will likely be a death sentence for quite a few people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

This actually happened.

THE PRESIDENT: So, I just want to tell you that we are now going to sign an executive order, and this is going to launch a whole new chapter for our great country. And people are very excited about it and I can tell you, I’m very excited about it. Thank you all very much. (Applause.)

(The order is signed.)

COLONEL ALDRIN: Infinity and beyond. (Laughter.)

THE PRESIDENT: This is infinity here. It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something -- but it could be infinity, right?

Okay. (Applause.)

END
    3:10 P.M. EDT

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/06/30/remarks-president-signing-executive-order-national-space-council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Do we have any Trump believers left at this point? or do we all now agree there is a buffoon in the White House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Inquitus wrote: »
    Do we have any Trump believers left at this point? or do we all now agree there is a buffoon in the White House?

Buffoon? Buffoon you say? Surely these random quotes below demonstrate a man who has a clear grasp of the issues? And not a man who has grudgingly agreed to read the cover of the briefing file handed to him before going into the room.
    During the campaign, Vice President Pence promised that our administration -- because Mike is very much into space -- would revive the National Space Council, and with this executive order, we’re keeping that promise. Feel very strongly about it. I’ve felt strongly about it for a long time. I used to say before doing what I did -- I used to say, what happened? Why aren’t we moving forward?
    And the Vice President, myself, and a few others are going to pick some private people to be on the board. I will say that’s not easy because everybody wants to be on this board. People that you wouldn’t have believed loved what we’re doing so much they want to -- some of the most successful people in the world want to be on this board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

druss wrote: »
    Buffoon? Buffoon you say? Surely these random quotes below demonstrate a man who has a clear grasp of the issues? And not a man who has grudgingly agreed to read the cover of the briefing file handed to him before going into the room.

Those quotes show that the Vice President is apparently into space and they will pick people to sit on a board. They don't in any way show that Donald trump has any grasp of the issues in general but specifically space.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Those quotes show that the Vice President is apparently into space and they will pick people to sit on a board. They don't in any way show that Donald trump has any grasp of the issues in general but specifically space.

I believe that was the point the poster was making.

Very interesting read, some snippets below, one of the "unnamed sources" Trump fans love to dismiss as fictional characters, speaks up:

The Time I Got Recruited to Collude With the Russians.
    I read the Wall Street Journal’s article yesterday on attempts by a GOP operative to recover missing Hillary Clinton emails with more than usual interest. I was involved in the events that reporter Shane Harris described, and I was an unnamed source for the initial story. What’s more, I was named in, and provided the documents to Harris that formed the basis of, this evening’s follow-up story, which reported that “A longtime Republican activist who led an operation hoping to obtain Hillary Clinton emails from hackers listed senior members of the Trump campaign, including some who now serve as top aides in the White House, in a recruitment document for his effort”:

A few weeks later, right around the time the DNC emails were dumped by Wikileaks—and curiously, around the same time Trump called for the Russians to get Hillary Clinton’s missing emails—I was contacted out the blue by a man named Peter Smith, who had seen my work going through these emails. Smith implied that he was a well-connected Republican political operative.

It is no overstatement to say that my conversations with Smith shocked me. Given the amount of media attention given at the time to the likely involvement of the Russian government in the DNC hack, it seemed mind-boggling for the Trump campaign—or for this offshoot of it—to be actively seeking those emails. To me this felt really wrong.

In my conversations with Smith and his colleague, I tried to stress this point: if this dark web contact is a front for the Russian government, you really don’t want to play this game. But they were not discouraged. They appeared to be convinced of the need to obtain Clinton’s private emails and make them public, and they had a reckless lack of interest in whether the emails came from a Russian cut-out. Indeed, they made it quite clear to me that it made no difference to them who hacked the emails or why they did so, only that the emails be found and made public before the election.

As I mentioned above, Smith and his associates’ knowledge of the inner workings of the campaign were insightful beyond what could be obtained by merely attending Republican events or watching large amounts of news coverage. But one thing I could not place, at least initially, was whether Smith was working on behalf of the campaign, or whether he was acting independently to help the campaign in his personal capacity.

Then, a few weeks into my interactions with Smith, he sent me a document, ostensibly a cover page for a dossier of opposition research to be compiled by Smith’s group, and which purported to clear up who was involved. The document was entitled “A Demonstrative Pedagogical Summary to be Developed and Released Prior to November 8, 2016,” and dated September 7. It detailed a company Smith and his colleagues had set up as a vehicle to conduct the research: “KLS Research”, set up as a Delaware LLC “to avoid campaign reporting,” and listing four groups who were involved in one way or another.

The first group, entitled “Trump Campaign (in coordination to the extent permitted as an independent expenditure)” listed a number of senior campaign officials: Steve Bannon, Kellyanne Conway, Sam Clovis, Lt. Gen. Flynn and Lisa Nelson.

My perception then was that the inclusion of Trump campaign officials on this document was not merely a name-dropping exercise. This document was about establishing a company to conduct opposition research on behalf of the campaign, but operating at a distance so as to avoid campaign reporting. Indeed, the document says as much in black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Which is kind of the point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/880737163247267840

This is still his most dangerous tweet of the last while. They have had years to come up with a plan and have obviously failed quite spectacularly.

So now the plan is to screw people in incredible fashion from a great height with a vague promise to make it better at some point (i.e. never). This is pure insanity (not that I should expect better at this point).

Sasse on CNN a supporter of Repeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Christy42 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/880737163247267840

This is still his most dangerous tweet of the last while. They have had years to come up with a plan and have obviously failed quite spectacularly.

So now the plan is to screw people in incredible fashion from a great height with a vague promise to make it better at some point (i.e. never). This is pure insanity (not that I should expect better at this point).

Remember Trump saying that he would repeal and replace on the 1st day, he even said he might call the house in for a special sitting.

He said that repeal and replace would be the same time, maybe a few hours but nothing more.

That was one of his key election drivers, and he is totally failing to deliver. Sure he will blame the Dems, the GOP etc, but it is clear he simply had no plan at all. I could accept if he had a plan and was voted down by the dems, but to have nothing at all and now to state that simply getting rid of ACA is enough.

Also, if you recall during the debate during the house bill, Trump and Spicer kept talking about Step 2 which would deal with all the concerns but they weren't going to actually tell anyone at the moment.

At what point do his supporters start asking if he had no plan on the key promise what chance of anything else actually being planned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/881503147168071680

It seems Donald is using video clips now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Remember Trump saying that he would repeal and replace on the 1st day, he even said he might call the house in for a special sitting.

He said that repeal and replace would be the same time, maybe a few hours but nothing more.

That was one of his key election drivers, and he is totally failing to deliver. Sure he will blame the Dems, the GOP etc, but it is clear he simply had no plan at all. I could accept if he had a plan and was voted down by the dems, but to have nothing at all and now to state that simply getting rid of ACA is enough.

Also, if you recall during the debate during the house bill, Trump and Spicer kept talking about Step 2 which would deal with all the concerns but they weren't going to actually tell anyone at the moment.

At what point do his supporters start asking if he had no plan on the key promise what chance of anything else actually being planned?

I'm all for ripping the proverbial out of The Donald but this is all getting a bit tiresome. Even Obama took time and a few iterations to get Obamacare over the line.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    I'm all for ripping the proverbial out of The Donald but this is all getting a bit tiresome. Even Obama took time and a few iterations to get Obamacare over the line.

It's not tiresome at all - he ran on a policy he didn't have a policy for. The GOP's main objective in the last several years has been getting rid of something they didn't have a replacement for. Nobody made Trump claim he would have it in on day 1, but he decided to go with that too. Almost nobody was as happy as him to hold Obama to extremely high standards over and over for years on end, yet he has failed to reach a standard that I reckon several posters on this thread could have attained (and that's not even a joke at this point). He and the GOP deserve every little last piece of criticism they get every single day, calling the ACA/AHCA cluterf*** exactly what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Best thing he has ever done imo:pac:

JRant wrote: »

Obama attempted to get policy through. He didn't simply remove things people were relying on to survive with a vague intention of fixing it later.

Donald needs a plan to replace Obamacare. Preferably a good one unlike his previous ones as well. Now he seems set to just go without the plan for the sake of it and not caring slightly over who suffers. But hey a piece with Obama's name will be gone and that is all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Signing a bill that simply repeals and takes millions off of care will result in thousands dead or more. It flies in the face of numerous campaign promises of his to improve and expand coverage while reducing cost. It will ensure his one term presidency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Has this fool anything else to be doing than posting stupid gifs........

Let me think of one or two things
    North Korea
    The Russia thing
    Infrastructure bill
    Etc etc...

He really is a shame on the on the office of president. It beggars belief he got voted in!

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Got to love the donald. Top banter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Overheal wrote: »
    It will ensure his one term presidency.

You still think he'll make it to the end of one term??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i didnt say how long it would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Overheal wrote: »
    Signing a bill that simply repeals and takes millions off of care will result in thousands dead or more. It flies in the face of numerous campaign promises of his to improve and expand coverage while reducing cost. It will ensure his one term presidency.

A conservative estimate is that 60% of nursing home residents are there with Medicare funding.
    Just the logistics of closing them down and putting those people out on the street will be shocking enough.

And then there's the long term disabled. Presumably they'll be out on the street too?

The GOP will do almost anything to give the 1% a tax cut but it really doesn't seem like they've thought through the consequences very far.

The GOP will do almost anything to give the 1% a tax cut but it really doesn't seem like they've thought through the consequences very far.

That seems like an assumption. There are plenty of people telling them the consequences. I just don't think they don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The GOP will do almost anything to give the 1% a tax cut

That is what their owners paid for, after all.

Not saying, is all....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

B0jangles wrote: »
    Yes he did win easily. Go look at the electoral map, it's mostly red.
    As has been pointed out many times already: Fields Can't Vote.
    Makes absolutely no sense. He won the most electoral college votes and he is President. Why are some still in denial over this, it happened in November and it is now July. Time some got over it now, surely? 

Anyway, I LOVE the way Trump handles Twitter and it is so entertaining. Looking at the media outlets taking it so seriously when Trump is only using it to distract them, he does it all the time. A master of smoke and mirrors, probably the best in US history at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

That seems like an assumption. There are plenty of people telling them the consequences. I just don't think they don't care.

They don't care. They will only care when they start losing their seats.

Makes absolutely no sense. He won the most electoral college votes and he is President. Why are some still in denial over this, it happened in November and it is now July. Time some got over it now, surely? 

Anyway, I LOVE the way Trump handles Twitter and it is so entertaining. Looking at the media outlets taking it so seriously when Trump is only using it to distract them, he does it all the time. A master of smoke and mirrors, probably the best in US history at it.

You argued that because the area of states that voted for Trump is large that he won a massive victory. This was countered. You are now responding to an argument literally no one made. We know he got more electoral votes.

You seem happy enough for Trump to keep up the smoke and mirrors. Sure millions will have their life expectancy drop if the administration ever manages to function but hey we have entertainment. There is an entire entertainment industry for that (Which he was even part of) that this can be done without leading to people's deaths.

You argued that because the area of states that voted for Trump is large that he won a massive victory.  This was countered.  You are now responding to an argument literally no one made.  We know he got more electoral votes.

You seem happy enough for Trump to keep up the smoke and mirrors.  Sure millions will have their life expectancy drop if the administration ever manages to function but hey we have entertainment.  There is an entire entertainment industry for that (Which he was even part of) that this can be done without leading to people's deaths.
    People didn't die under Obama? People who couldn't afford healthcare because of the ACA. If you look at the electoral map, it is astonishing. Actually take a look at the counties map, shows it even more so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

People didn't die under Obama? People who couldn't afford healthcare because of the ACA. If you look at the electoral map, it is astonishing. Actually take a look at the counties map, shows it even more so.

Do you have the map Donald gave you with all the pretty red too?

For a group that also shout about Trump being the lesser evil over "Crooked Hillary" it's amazing that you then don't use that same logic with Obamacare and the GOP "replacement". Nobody denies Obamacare wasn't perfect but it's a far cry from the new proposal. Let us not forget as well that Obamacare was a compromise and based on the very plans the GOP drew up in the 1990s and earlier with Nixon. Corporate Democrats played a game of compromise, GOP were like "WE CAN'T HAVE THAT" and have swung further and further to the right. People like to trump on about Obamacare but statistically speaking it made a difference, insurance coverage is up and Medicare was expanded. The logical way to go is to go single payer from there though not go backwards.

I remember people saying this guy would be like Hitler. That certainly hasn't came to fruition. The funniest politician in history, yes. A genocidal dictator, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

I remember people saying this guy would be like Hitler. That certainly hasn't came to fruition. The funniest politician in history, yes. A genocidal dictator, no.

I like deflection tactics too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I dunno man, he's certainly starting down the path of a dictator.

Though without the Gassing millions of Jews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

He has single handedly destroyed America's reputation in the international community, the 'Trump train' used be a thing, he's proven himself to be a train wreck who only seems to be capable of damaging the reputation of the office of the President. It is a spectacular achievement but embarrassingly so. Look at how Macron is viewed as the President of France, he's 40 years younger than Trump but comes across as a highly capable diplomat. The same won't be said of Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's like a celebration of scumbaggery when you think about it. This man is engaged in premeditated death sentencing to thousands of average normal people and you celebrate it like it's a game.

Then roll over and say that Obama would have engaged in the same thing Utter nonsense and just an opinion with zero facts.

• Advertisement

B_Wayne wrote: »
    He has single handedly destroyed America's reputation in the international community, the 'Trump train' used be a thing, he's proven himself to be a train wreck who only seems to be capable of damaging the reputation of the office of the President. It is a spectacular achievement but embarrassingly so. Look at how Macron is viewed as the President of France, he's 40 years younger than Trump but comes across as a highly capable diplomat. The same won't be said of Trump.

Single handed? He had around 63 million helpers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement