Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/5/dnc-email-server-most-wanted-evidence-for-russia-i/

Hacked computer server that handled DNC email remains out of reach of Russia investigators

During the election cycle last year, the DNC paid CrowdStrike more than $410,000. This year, it has collected more than $121,000 from the party.

......Still, the company faces increasing scrutiny, including over the impartiality of co-founder Mr. Alperovitch.
    Mr. Alperovitch is also a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council, a Washington-based think tank focused on international issues that is partially funded by Ukrainian billionaire Victor Pinchuk, who reportedly has donated at least $10 million to the Clinton Foundation.
    Late last year, the International Institute for Strategic Studies, a respected British think tank, disputed CrowdStrike’s analysis of a Russian hack during Ukraine’s war with Russian-backed separatists. CrowdStrike later revised and retracted portions of its analysis.
    CrowdStrike’s most famous finding — that Russian-supported hackers penetrated the DNC server — has triggered the most questions.....

When ever you posts are shown up for what they are you go "But Hilary" get over it she lost the election The Don won and this thread is called "[U.S.] Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II"

It took you a bit longer for the instructions to come through "change tack to Hilary" I could almost do your posts for you they are so predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

The whole premise of Russian hacking is based on crownstrikes report. The FBI and DHS were denied access to the server, asking why is a valid question.

You continue to display a complete inability to have a normal discussion without hyper partisanship dictating your every response, one might call it the sad result of social engineering. Muh Hillary all you want, every post you have to sneak in subtle insults.

Why were the FBI and DHS denied access to the server even though they made multiple requests? Why was a 3rd party used which is an unprecedented maneuver in such a scenario.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/313555-comey-fbi-did-request-access-to-hacked-dnc-servers

The whole premise of Russian hacking is based on crownstrikes report. The FBI and DHS were denied access to the server, asking why is a valid question.

You continue to display a complete inability to have a normal discussion without hyper partisanship dictating your every response, one might call it the sad result of social engineering. Muh Hillary all you want, every post you have to sneak in subtle insults.

Why were the FBI and DHS denied access to the server even though they made multiple requests? Why was a 3rd party used which is an unprecedented maneuver in such a scenario.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/313555-comey-fbi-did-request-access-to-hacked-dnc-servers

Are the subtle insults I must up my game I thought they are very clear insults. Maybe I am partisan as I see your posts to be the very definition of partisan. If you don't like the heat and all that. But I'm not going to pretend that I don't think you are a knob and all you stand for is stupid I know you think the same of me but the difference is I don't give a ****.

BTW on the hacking my stated view on this site has always been Russia like America hacks when it can it has never been my view that Trump had any involment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

Is there anyone still denying the Russian hacking? I thought the latest story was that Obama waited too long into the investigation I'm to implement sanctions?

When was your last post directly about Trump? I feel like this may be at the heart of some people's feeling of annoyance.

"HanAssholeSolo" posted his apology before we *ever* spoke him. He called us afterwards to apologize further."

CNN tried to contact him via phone and email first and he presumably freaked out.

Are the subtle insults I must up my game I thought they are very clear insults. Maybe I am partisan as I see your posts to be the very definition of partisan. If you don't like the heat and all that. But I'm not going to pretend that I don't think you are a knob and all you stand for is stupid I know you think the same of me but the difference is I don't give a ****.

Oh, so you're an internet bad ass. Gotcha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

A big meeting with Putin coming up at the G20. Trump will need to have something concrete to give in terms of a reaction from Putin to Trumps demand for the ending of election interference.

Trump has acted the big man to a number of countries at this stage, lets see what he actually does when up close and personal with Putin.

Trump supporters have been very quick to point to Obama being too slow to deal with the threat, so Trump really has little wiggle room. So far there has been little to suggest that he is planning on a confrontation but he may just be playing his cards close to his chest.

Failure to demand answers and/or threaten sanctions will only add to the current thinking that Trump is soft on Russia and the inevitable questions as to why that that will bring.

CNN tried to contact him via phone and email first and he presumably freaked out.

Yes they had discovered he had published some nasty stuff, and you see media try and give people the right to reply, they made a decision based on a few things not to run the story I assume the alleged age of the guy being a reason.

In fact every thing points to CNN getting a story but deciding for a lot of reasons not to run with it. It's the Alt right that are making an issue even calling on CNN to make it better or CNN staff will be assaulted.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/07/05/daily-stormer-troll-army-threatens-cnn-staffers-over-reddit-user-behind-trumpcnn-gif

Lovely people funny thing is I wonder what their views would have been if the 15 year old LGBT kid was a liberal.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Is there anyone still denying the Russian hacking? I thought the latest story was that Obama waited too long into the investigation I'm to implement sanctions?

When was your last post directly about Trump? I feel like this may be at the heart of some people's feeling of annoyance.

I'm not denying it but I don't believe it to be fact either. The 17 intelligence agencies narrative turned out to be a myth so forgive my scepticism. There was 3 and the NSA were only moderately confident.

If the FBI asked for Trumps email server or whatever as part of an investigation and he refused, instead he got a private firm to do it which had connections to the Trump foundation, would you not be asking questions?

It is a big deal, to me at least. Why would they pay 500k to a private firm and deny the FBI and DHS access. It's relevant because there's currently like 10 Russia investigations and some of them are trying to get access to that server.

When I get answer as to they were denied access I'll never mention it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Leroy42 wrote: »
    A big meeting with Putin coming up at the G20. Trump will need to have something concrete to give in terms of a reaction from Putin to Trumps demand for the ending of election interference.

Trump has acted the big man to a number of countries at this stage, lets see what he actually does when up close and personal with Putin.

Trump supporters have been very quick to point to Obama being too slow to deal with the threat, so Trump really has little wiggle room. So far there has been little to suggest that he is planning on a confrontation but he may just be playing his cards close to his chest.

Failure to demand answers and/or threaten sanctions will only add to the current thinking that Trump is soft on Russia and the inevitable questions as to why that that will bring.
    Well he is already asking his aides to come up with 'deliverables' to give to Putin apparently without much in the line of asking for much/anything in return. My guess is he essentially is likely to just bring the lube spread himself wide for Uncle Vlad.

I'm not denying it but I don't believe it to be fact either. The 17 intelligence agencies narrative turned out to be a myth so forgive my scepticism. There was 3 and the NSA were only moderately confident.

If the FBI asked for Trumps email server or whatever as part of an investigation and he refused, instead he got a private firm to do it which had connections to the Trump foundation, would you not be asking questions?

It is a big deal, to me at least. Why would they pay 500k to a private firm and deny the FBI and DHS access. It's relevant because there's currently like 10 Russia investigations and some of them are trying to get access to that server.

The earlier link was about the DNC server can you link to your claim the Trump refused to hand over the Alpha bank server.

Comey already dealt with this during his hearing.

He stated that whilst they would have preferred to get direct access, they have worked with the company many times and the information they provided was of sufficient quality to deem direct access unnecessary.

This is from the head of the FBI (at the time). Why isn't testimony, given under oath and not even a shred of it denied by anybody else, not sufficient for you?

Yes they had discovered he had published some nasty stuff, and you see media try and give people the right to reply, they made a decision based on a few things not to run the story I assume the alleged age of the guy being a reason.

In fact every thing points to CNN getting a story but deciding for a lot of reasons not to run with it.

-

It's the Alt right that are making an issue even calling on CNN to make it better or CNN staff will be assaulted.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/07/05/daily-stormer-troll-army-threatens-cnn-staffers-over-reddit-user-behind-trumpcnn-gif

Lovely people funny thing is I wonder what their views would have been if the 15 year old LGBT kid was a liberal.

1) So what
    2) Hilarious. Why did track him down and contact him. Why did they print it. Why did they threaten him
    3) People like Glenn Greenwald are "alt right"? A host of bi partisan journalists have called them out on it
    4) It wasn't a 15 year old, get your facts right

If Fox did this to any private Citizen I'd call them out on it. Your problem is you are so blinded by Trump hate you justify what they did.

1) So what
    2) Hilarious. Why did they contact him. Why did they print it. Why did they threaten him
    3) People like Glenn Greenwald are "alt right"? A host of bi partisan journalists have called them out on it
    3) It wasn't a 15 year old, get your facts right

If Fox did this to any private Citizen I'd call them out on it. Your problem is you are so blinded by Trump hate that you try to justify what that they did.

Did what though? CNN have done nothing. They haven't outed him, they have protected him.

They reserve the right to out him if he reverts to type though. The man is no worse off now that before.

I don't know why they are refusing and would prefer they did not. Hopefully they are legally forced to soon.

The Russian interference is not dependent on that anyway (but there needs to be a complete picture). The 17 agencies thing was always weird given most should have had no interest in the situation really. The ones that should have been looking into agreed though. Even Putin admits it may have been some Russian lone wolves. There are also agencies across the world agreeing that the Russians are active in this space and deploying specific countermeasures to Russia (see French elections).

There are invariably less questions asked if you do something weird while not under investigation as opposed to the people being looked at doing something that looks dodgy. Especially when it is only tangentially related to Trump on the Trump thread (who you still seem very reticent to tall about)

• Advertisement

1) So what
    2) Hilarious. Why did they contact him. Why did they print it. Why did they threaten him
    4) It wasn't a 15 year old, get your facts right

If Fox did this to any private Citizen I'd call them out on it. Your problem is you are so blinded by Trump hate that you try to justify what that they did.

The reason it becomes important to the story is the guy was retweeted by Trump, it turns out he has in my option pretty nasty posts, it puts the post in context. They tried to make contact because it was a story. I said alleged 15 year old certain words change context. I linked to a story where people claimed he was 15 and LGBT. I do not know the guy all I can go on is what is put online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I think TRUMP has realises he's significantly out of his depth not only within America but significantly so on the world stage.

He is not a smooth operator and doesn't strike me as a man that can handle multiple scratch my back deals between nations to get his way.

Ultimately,he's doing what he believes is right but when you have a businessman in the biggest seat in politics against seasoned professionals applying their trade for decades, what exactly do people expect the outcome to be.

I also believe he thought it a case of I'm president I'll do what i want but he now realises he's restricted by congress, laws and legislations.

He's not getting elected again in 3 years time but looking at American politics I don't see any strong leaders that can step up and make things better

They tried to make contact because it was a story. I said alleged 15 year old certain words change context. I linked to a story where people claimed he was 15 and LGBT. I do not know the guy all I can go on is what is put online.

He's not 15, CNN themselves have said he's an adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

aloyisious wrote: »
    Doesn't everyone love doing that?

I've genuinely never met anyone who thought they occupied the moral low ground.

Thank you for that info can you link to CNN statement so it's only the online trump surporters who claimed he was 15?

• Advertisement

I've genuinely never met anyone who thought they occupied the moral low ground.

There are a few on the Internet who love it.

Did what though? CNN have done nothing. They haven't outed him, they have protected him.

They reserve the right to out him if he reverts to type though. The man is no worse off now that before.

Protecting him by stalking his profiles then publishing a story about him worldwide. They themselves said he'd be in danger if his name got out, so why attract attention. That's ignoring the threat and them acting like the internet police. They did it to try get back at Trump but it backfired. Pull the other one.

cuomo_deleted_tweet.png

Protecting him by stalking his profiles then publishing a story about him worldwide. They themselves said he'd be in danger if his name got out, so why attract attention. That's ignoring the threat and them acting like the internet police. They did it to try get back at Trump but it backfired. Pull the other one.

cuomo_deleted_tweet.png

Did they revel it? I know you don't agree with me because of some issue with Mafia but free speech is free speech and the 1st amendment protects the press.

Thank you for that info can you link to CNN statement so it's only the online trump surporters who claimed he was 15?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/news/the-fix/wp/2017/07/05/how-cnn-managed-to-anger-everyone-by-finding-then-shielding-the-creator-of-that-trump-wrestling-meme/?outputType=accessibility&nid=menu_nav_accessibilityforscreenreader

Statement by CNN is there. They released it on twitter but can't find it now.

“Any assertion that the network blackmailed or coerced him is false. The user, who is an adult male, not a 15-year-old boy, apologized and deleted his account before ever speaking with our reporter. CNN never made any deal, of any kind, with the user."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Surely that's fake news, why would you believe them now?

So CNN went and found out who the guy was based on posts that he had made on the internet?

Seems anyone could have done this, if they had the interest, and Trump retweeting the gif gave the world that interest.

He posted those things, he left himself open and now finds himself accountable for what he posted.

The only thing that has changed in this mans life is the Trump brought unwanted attention to his views.

You are talking like he was a spy. He put himself in the worldwide scope by posting what he did. He took the gamble that nobody would ever pay it much attention outside of the group he was in and he has just learned a life lesson.

It is akin to saying things to your wife in the house, maybe racist or whatever, and then thinking that going into the pub and shouting the same thing is the same. Hey I was just talking to my wife is not a defence for shouting racist abuse in a pub and neither is it a defence here.

When faced with the contact with CNN he suddenly realised that what he thought was private was not private at all and he was faced with the possibility of having to admit to the real type of person he was. He knew that wasn't the right way to behave so he apologised.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/news/the-fix/wp/2017/07/05/how-cnn-managed-to-anger-everyone-by-finding-then-shielding-the-creator-of-that-trump-wrestling-meme/?outputType=accessibility&nid=menu_nav_accessibilityforscreenreader

Statement by CNN is there. They released it on twitter but can't find it now.

“Any assertion that the network blackmailed or coerced him is false. The user, who is an adult male, not a 15-year-old boy, apologized and deleted his account before ever speaking with our reporter. CNN never made any deal, of any kind, with the user."

So you believe something's CNN say, the claim the person was 15 was made by anti CNN sites. I'm all confused now can you tell us when CNN is fake and when it is not just so we know.

Did they revel it? I know you don't agree with me because of some issue with Mafia but free speech is free speech and the 1st amendment protects the press.

They went after a private citizen, drew worldwide attention to him and threatened to release his info in the future all for posting an internet meme they didn't like.

You apparently seem fine with that, I'm not. I'm out.

They went after a private citizen, drew worldwide attention to him and threatened to release his info in the future all for posting an internet meme they didn't like.

Trump brought world wide attention. Once you publish on a public forum you not really interested in private. You and I know the risk say something stupid then you risk being seen as a fool to the world. Glad you are out enjoy.

Trump brought world wide attention. Once you publish on a public forum you not really interested in private. You and I know the risk say something stupid then you risk being seen as a fool to the world. Glad you are out enjoy.

The gif Trump posted wasn't even his. You haven't even researched what happened but continue to rigorously defend CNN. You hate Trump therefore CNN have done no wrong. That's what's behind everything you say.

Genuinely have to say some posters here make me sick. Zero morals.

• Advertisement

They went after a private citizen who had publicly stated his opinions. You seem to be missing that bit. They didn't dig through his thrash, or talk to an ex gf, or wiretap him.

Should a politician be accountable for what he says in a speech? Should a journalist be accountable for what he writes on the newspaper? Why do you seem to think that publishing on the internet is different?

These are his opinions. He, without any pressure, decided to make them public. He failed to grasp that nothing on the net is really private. For the most part what is posted will remain anonymous, mainly because people simply do not care enough to bother to trace it down.

But if you say stuff you should be prepared to accept the consequences. It seems to me that CNN has actually let this guy off.

The gif Trump posted wasn't even his. You haven't even researched what happened but continue to rigorously defend CNN. You hate Trump therefore CNN have done no wrong. That's what's behind everything you say.

I do not like CNN I think their reporting is crap and one sided. So who made the video Trump posted? But the meme was made by the guy we are talking about.

You haven't said what CNN have done wrong.

You keep saying they make a deal with him, which they have flatly denied ever doing.

All they did was pull together his posts and saw what they actually contained.

You don't think that someone posting racist etc posts is moral do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I could understand this sentiment if that was the only evidence. Here's something from the Senate Intel Committee from back in May.
    SEN. MARK WARNER, D-VA.: Intelligence community assessment accurately characterized the extent of Russian activities in the 2016 election and its conclusion that Russian intelligence agencies were responsible for the hacking and leaking of information and using misinformation to influence our elections? Simple yes or no would suffice.

ROBERT CARDILLO, DIRECTOR, NATIONAL GEOSPATIAL-INTELLIGENCE AGENCY: I do. Yes, sir.

STEWART: Yes, Senator.

ROGERS: Yes I do.

DAN COATS, DIRECTOR OF NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE : Yes I do.

MIKE POMPEO, DIRECTOR, CIA: Yes.

MCCABE: Yes.

Even Trump boy Pompeo can't disagree. Trump himself has even come out and admitted it.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/879317636164841474

You can pretend that the Russian interference is a nothingburger all you want but the conversation has moved on. You may claim to be a rational sceptic waiting for evidence but that won't fool anyone who has seen some of the nonsense that you've swallowed and repeated in here.

I do not like CNN I think their reporting is crap and one sided. So who made the video Trump posted?

The post CNN went after was a gif on reddit that was a few seconds long. Someone else created a video that had the fake news network logo and other differences, with audio before posting on either facebook or twitter before Trump or someone on his team picked it up. Buzzfeed of all places did an article on it.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/how-a-random-gif-from-reddit-probably-ended-up-on-president?utm_term=.agvJAaVDE#.rrZ3bJ7mM

You haven't said what CNN have done wrong.

You keep saying they make a deal with him, which they have flatly denied ever doing.

All they did was pull together his posts and saw what they actually contained.

You don't think that someone posting racist etc posts is moral do you?

Greenwald sums it up better than I can

https://theintercept.com/2017/07/05/cnn-anonymous-critic-trump-wrestling-gif-reddit-user/

"There is something self-evidently creepy, bullying, and heavy-handed about a large news organization publicly announcing that it will expose someone’s identity if he ever again publishes content on the internet that the network deems inappropriate or objectionable. Whether it was CNN’s intent or not, the article makes it appear as if CNN will be monitoring this citizen’s online writing, and will punish him with exposure if he writes something the network dislikes.

There is also something untoward about the fact that CNN — the subject of the original video — was the news outlet that uncovered his identity. That fact creates the appearance of vengeance: If you, even as a random and anonymous internet user, post content critical of CNN, then it will use its vast corporate resources to investigate you, uncover your identity, and threaten to expose you if you ever do so again."

The post CNN went after was a gif on reddit that was a few seconds long. Someone else created a video that had the fake news network logo and other differences, with audio before posting on either facebook or twitter before Trump or someone on his team picked it up. Buzzfeed of all places did an article on it.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/how-a-random-gif-from-reddit-probably-ended-up-on-president?utm_term=.agvJAaVDE#.rrZ3bJ7mM

The guy himself thanked POTUS for selecting his gif. But you are too focused on the gif. The gif just peaked their interest. The gif make them look into the reality of the person behind it.

That investigation dug up some pretty unsavory postings, and it was based on these that CNN tried to contact him. He then deleted his account and issued an apology.

Of course non of this would have happened if A) he didn't post what he did and B) Trump hadn't used his gif (or part of it) to attack CNN.

CNN did what anyone would do in that instance. They wanted to understand the people behind it in order to debunk it. They have done a spectacular job on that front.

Just like if I post something here other posters are quite entitled to pull up my previous postings to highlight hypocrisy or whatever. No difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So CNN went and found out who the guy was based on posts that he had made on the internet?

Seems anyone could have done this, if they had the interest, and Trump retweeting the gif gave the world that interest.
    If this is the case, then how can someone trying to argue that Trump's request for publicly available information regarding US voters is OK, but CNN's use of publicly available information regarding reddit posters is now?

You can pretend that the Russian interference is a nothingburger all you want but the conversation has moved on.

Why do you people continuously twist what I say?

I questioned why the FBI/DHS were denied access and a 3rd party with dubious links to the same people was paid $500,000.

Any statement on the email hack is based on Crowdstrikes assessment, which was my point in the first place.

• Advertisement

Greenwald sums it up better than I can

https://theintercept.com/2017/07/05/cnn-anonymous-critic-trump-wrestling-gif-reddit-user/

"There is something self-evidently creepy, bullying, and heavy-handed about a large news organization publicly announcing that it will expose someone’s identity if he ever again publishes content on the internet that the network deems inappropriate or objectionable. Whether it was CNN’s intent or not, the article makes it appear as if CNN will be monitoring this citizen’s online writing, and will punish him with exposure if he writes something the network dislikes.

That is his opinion, Doesn't make it true.
    There is also something untoward about the fact that CNN — the subject of the original video — was the news outlet that uncovered his identity. That fact creates the appearance of vengeance: If you, even as a random and anonymous internet user, post content critical of CNN, then it will use its vast corporate resources to investigate you, uncover your identity, and threaten to expose you if you ever do so again."

Yet the US government is happy to actively dig into travellers social media profiles on the basis of security. So its ok for the state to do it, and for Trump for example to look for voting records, but if CNN research publicly available information you have an issue with that.

Make up your mind what your position is.

That investigation dug up some pretty unsavory postings, and it was based on these that CNN tried to contact him. He then deleted his account and issued an apology.

I can question why a media corporation should be threatening to expose an anonymous gif creator that poked fun at CNN without sympathizing with his views.

Why is it so hard to understand that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/5/dnc-email-server-most-wanted-evidence-for-russia-i/

Hacked computer server that handled DNC email remains out of reach of Russia investigators

During the election cycle last year, the DNC paid CrowdStrike more than $410,000. This year, it has collected more than $121,000 from the party.

......Still, the company faces increasing scrutiny, including over the impartiality of co-founder Mr. Alperovitch.
    Mr. Alperovitch is also a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council, a Washington-based think tank focused on international issues that is partially funded by Ukrainian billionaire Victor Pinchuk, who reportedly has donated at least $10 million to the Clinton Foundation.
    Late last year, the International Institute for Strategic Studies, a respected British think tank, disputed CrowdStrike’s analysis of a Russian hack during Ukraine’s war with Russian-backed separatists. CrowdStrike later revised and retracted portions of its analysis.
    CrowdStrike’s most famous finding — that Russian-supported hackers penetrated the DNC server — has triggered the most questions.....

I'm reading that to infer that the CrowsStrike findings of Russian hacking of the DNC Email Server is faulty and that it may not have happened as thought, possibly down to the Ukrainian nationalistic and anti-Russian antagonistic feelings of CrowdStrikes Co-founder.

One might conclude the choice of CrowdStrike as a hacking detection firm was dodgy, along with it being a reflection on the reliability of US firms in the same business.

aloyisious wrote: »
    I'm reading that to infer that the CrowsStrike findings of Russian hacking of the DNC Email Server is faulty and that it may not have happened as thought, possibly down to the Ukrainian nationalistic and anti-Russian antagonistic feelings of CrowdStrikes Co-founder.

One might conclude the choice of CrowdStrike as a hacking detection firm was dodgy, along with it being a reflection on the reliability of US firms in the same business.

Seriously, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It is totally irrelevant who created that gif. CNN have plenty of other things that they should be reporting on other than this nonsense.

I can question why a media corporation should be threatening to expose an anonymous gif creator that poked fun at CNN without sympathizing with his views.

Why is it so hard to understand that.

Of course you can question it, and you and I are right to do so.

But all CNN are doing is shining light on what this person has said. Should a person be allowed to say whatever they want and not be called up on it?

Because that is essentially what you are saying. Free speech comes with the responsibility to stand by your views. The internet seems to have given people the unrealistic presumption that they can say whatever they want and have no responsibility for it.

I never said you agreed with his views, it just seems you are more worried about his privacy (which he freely gave up) over questioning his views.

At the core of this, is that you think that CNN have acted badly in this. I think what they did was carry out an investigation and try to discuss their findings with this person. At that stage he opted to apologise etc.

They said that they reserve the right to publish at a later date. So in effect all they have done is delayed the annoucment.

Do you think this guy deserved anonymity?

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    It is totally irrelevant who created that gif. CNN have plenty of other things that they should be reporting on other than this nonsense.

I agree, but the same should be levelled at Trump.

And I guess CNN don't see it as nonsense. It is a direct attack on their brand, the value of which depends on their standing with the public. This gif was used as part of a campaign to degrade that brand.

Would you sit idly by if you were being attacked?

Do you think this guy deserved anonymity?

I've already stated my opinion, refer to the Greenwald article, I agree with him.

It is a direct attack on their brand, the value of which depends on their standing with the public. This gif was used as part of a campaign to degrade that brand.

Would you sit idly by if you were being attacked?

What do you think Trumps been doing?

Trump has once again changed his mind (shocker).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40515329

Now it is no one is really sure if Russia interfered. Did he want Obama to bring in sanctions against a nation he thinks no one is sure did anything in the US elections? (though he said there was destabilising behaviour from them in general).

I joke by applying logic to what Trump says of course. He has not done it and it is never going to end up making any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Akrasia wrote: »

Probably the only thing CNN did wrong in respect to the information it had on the Reddit poster was to make it public that it had the information. Before that it was a private deal between both that the Reddit poster would pull/retract/whatever the posts about CNN and seemingly drop any future actions on targetting CNN individual staff. The result seems to be is the Reddit poster has others doing what he did, without having to do anything, the public release backfiring on CNN.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement