Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

Trump speaking like there's some sort of crazy war and we're all under threat.

Drumming up fear.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Billy86 wrote: »
    Amazing how he hasn't leaked these threats to be honest, but hey if that's what someone believes then for something like collusion with Russia I'm sure they'd hold a similar standard of evidence required.

Threaten:

- one's intention to take hostile action against (someone) in retribution for something done or not yet done
    - cause (someone or something) to be vulnerable or at risk; endanger.

Exhibit A: Contact user, he panics and by their own admission admits he's scared and fears for his family

Exhibit B:

2ivzk09.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So the guy is lying when he said he was never threatened! :rolleyes:

Billy86 wrote: »
    So the guy is lying when he said he was never threatened! :rolleyes:

Yes he is, in fear of his name being released and not doing anything to upset CNN. He obviously felt threatened when he seen CNN was trying to contact him, he immediately issued an apology and deleted his posting history. He stated that he was fearful for himself and his family. CNN then made that nightmare PR blunder of an article.

If the mob rang you up and said they had incriminating information on you would tell the Police you weren't threatened?

We'll never agree. So be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The look on Trump's face here is classic:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The look on Trump's face here is classic:

It's just another example of Trump having a skeleton crew in the White House. It's all well and good trimming the fat but now he has nobody telling him about protocol and is giving speeches copy and pasted from Wikipedia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

This set of 3 interviews [Susan Glasser - politico] - [Eric Foner - Columbia Uni] - [Péter Sijjártó - Foreign Minister] by BBC 2 Newsnight might be of interest in regard to Don Trump in Poland, also in particular the Hungarian [edit] FOREIGN Minister's interview and how to be mindful when it comes to close neighbours..... I hope the link works.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjAzaHH0fXUAhUMC8AKHWwiBSwQFgglMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fbbcnewsnight&usg=AFQjCNGOTVCUDS4feX-03utJG2M6e1yo7g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Yes he is, in fear of his name being released and not doing anything to upset CNN. He obviously felt threatened when he seen CNN was trying to contact him, he immediately issued an apology and deleted his posting history. He stated that he was fearful for himself and his family. CNN then made that nightmare PR blunder of an article.

If the mob rang you up and said they had incriminating information on you would tell the Police you weren't threatened?

Still baffled why you think the guy who threatened CNN and its employees is such a victim.

Why did he do it then if he's so afraid of the repercussions?

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Still baffled why you think the guy who threatened CNN and its employees is such a victim.

Where is the evidence CNN employees were threatened over the wrestling gif? Which individuals were threatened? Where is evidence that the gif wasn't meant to signify Trump's "take down" of CNN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Trump speaking like there's some sort of crazy war and we're all under threat.

Drumming up fear.

:rolleyes:

That is where he thrives. When people are scared they behave irrationally. Hence why his campaign was built on telling people to be afraid (lies about murder rates, referring to Mexican immigrants as rapists etc.)

• Advertisement

Oh stop engaging in it. There is a thread on this subject already and the point of it here is to discuss something that is not Trump or his specific actions/words. I get you are just responding which I have been guilty of in this thread but making the point about what it is.

In other news Trump is running out of good options with regards to North Korea. He does not have too much leverage left against anyone at the moment. Not too sure what should be done but he did make a promise that North Korea would not gain this capability.

Just to mention, the USD has now dropped for 96c against the Euro to 87c in the last 2-3 months.

Also the country fell short of expected job creating in June, at 158,000 vs an expected 185,000 - http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/06/adp-private-sector-jobs-june-2017.html

Christy42 wrote: »
    Oh stop engaging in it. There is a thread on this subject already and the point of it here is to discuss something that is not Trump or his specific actions/words. I get you are just responding which I have been guilty of in this thread but making the point about what it is.

The moral high-ground is indeed high and mighty.
    That is where he thrives. When people are scared they behave irrationally. Hence why his campaign was built on telling people to be afraid (lies about murder rates, referring to Mexican immigrants as rapists etc.)

As for Trumps speech, he spoke about preserving Western culture in the wake of the real problems Europe is experiencing and the mess that is the middle east. As Poland have adopted a strong stance on immigration, and Trump has run and won on a similar platform, it would be stupid to expect parts of his speech ( small segments overall ) would not address that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a bit rich Poland being pretty vocal on immigration.

Where is the evidence CNN employees were threatened over the wrestling gif? CNN?

The guy posted pictures of CNN employees with star of davids on them. He's basically unhinged and if I worked for CNN and was one of those employees i would feel extremely threatened.

And yet you seemingly not only condone the threatening behavior but you've stated you believe he should be able to remain completely anonymous. Thats what I dont get. Why shouldnt he have to stand behind his posts? Why does he get to threaten people and not be exposed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Where is the evidence CNN employees were threatened over the wrestling gif? Which individuals were threatened? Where is evidence that the gif wasn't meant to signify Trump's "take down" of CNN?
    In relation to evidence of threatened employees, he literally had a massive anti semetic jab against certain CNN employees in one of his posts. That's literally targeted hate speech...

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's a bit rich Poland being pretty vocal on immigration.

Why? That's what the Polish voters wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

http://www.haaretz.com/us-news/1.799112?v=402BA8873631FFB1E5E007CB8AB4066B

B_Wayne wrote: »
    In relation to evidence of threatened employees, he literally had a massive anti semetic jab against certain CNN employees in one of his posts. That's literally targeted hate speech...

I don't know how many times I'm going to repeat myself, and since there's another thread for this topic this is the last thing I'll say about it here.

His posting history has nothing to do with anything, zilch, nada. It didn't factor into their decision to find the wrestling GIF poster. The fact that he's posted derogatory things is a strawman for not addressing the crux of the matter which is CNN targeted a private citizen for creating a gif, and then subsequently saying that they have the right to release his info in the future if he posts similar things.

CNN is not judge and jury of the internet, they are a news organization. The backlash they received from bi partisan journalists is deserved. Because I call out CNN out for targeting a private citizen and putting him in danger, it doesn't mean I sympathize with his views.

Also worth mentioning that Felix Sater (who avoided jail time previously by rolling over on the mafia) is now cooperating on a money laundering investigation.

https://thinkprogress.org/https-thinkprogress-org-felix-sater-news-bad-for-trump-99e4ebe9a1ad
    The Financial Times reported Thursday morning that Felix Sater, former business partner of President Donald Trump with deep ties to the Mafia and Russian government, is cooperating in an international investigation into an alleged money-laundering network. Sater has a history of channeling money from prominent families in the Eastern bloc into Trump properties. This could pose problems for Trump, given Sater’s history of outing former close associates in exchange for immunity.

According to recent reports from The New York Times and Bloomberg, these financial connections are also being investigated by special counsel Robert Mueller as part of the investigation into the Trump campaign’s possible collusion with Russia.

Sater is undoubtedly one of the more unsavory people the president has conducted business with. He was famously involved in a clash at a bar where he stabbed another man in the face with the stem of a martini glass, an assault that landed him in prison for a year. He pleaded guilty to racketeering as part of a $40 million stock fraud scheme orchestrated by the Mafia but avoided jail time by becoming a valuable federal informant for the FBI and CIA. Andrew Weissmann, the prosecutor who negotiated that plea deal, has been hired by Robert Mueller.

Sater was also born as Felix Mikhailovich Sheferovsky in Moscow, Russia.

• Advertisement

Because I call out CNN out for targeting a private citizen and putting him in danger, it doesn't mean I sympathize with his views.

You're losing me here... wasnt it meme-guy who posted pictures of CNN employees with stars of david on them?

I dont quite get how CNN's response could be called "targeting" the guy.

And as for "private citizen". Every unhinged wacko who makes the news for some lunacy is a private citizen right up to when they show up on the evening news. Being a private citizen isnt some pass to go and threaten people anonymously.

You're losing me here... wasnt it meme-guy who posted pictures of CNN employees with stars of david on them?

That's not why they sought to seek him out, they went after him because of Trump tweeting his ( not really his ) innocuous video. Their intention was to use it to hit back at Trump but it backfired because of their idiotically worded statement which many perceived, and imo rightly so, as a veiled threat towards the individual.

Ignoring all that, if someone is engaging in threatening behaviour towards an individual or group, those threatened should report the threats to relevant authorities. CNN took it upon themselves and acted in a highly unethical manner, purely for political reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I don't know how many times I'm going to repeat myself, and since there's another thread for this topic this is the last thing I'll say about it here.

His posting history has nothing to do with anything, zilch, nada. It didn't factor into their decision to find the wrestling GIF poster. The fact that he's posted derogatory things is a strawman for not addressing the crux of the matter which is CNN targeted a private citizen for creating a gif, and then subsequently saying that they have the right to release his info in the future if he posts similar things.

CNN is not judge and jury of the internet, they are a news organization. The backlash they received from bi partisan journalists is deserved. Because I call out CNN out for targeting a private citizen and putting him in danger, it doesn't mean I sympathize with his views.

Sorry Hank, the discussion on this thread and elsewhere about CNN and the Reddit poster began after the wrestling video he posted was passed on by Don. With regard to CNN and its interest in the Reddit poster posting history, it began AFTER he posted the video and anything he had posted in relation to its staff in regard to their probable religious ethos then became very much pertinent to CNN. We have all seen how hotheads take the law into their own hands in regard to Don.

All else that passed afterwards between him and CNN sprang from that part of his posting history. There would in all likely-hood have been no CNN investigation or uncovering of what else he had posted if his video had not been posted. He may well have remained an unidentified blogger on the net.

I've commented on how [IMO] CNN were wrong to reveal what was settled on privately between them and the Reddit poster so, in as far as arbiters go, agree with you to some degree there.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Sorry Hank, the discussion on this thread and elsewhere about CNN and the Reddit poster began after the wrestling video he posted was passed on by Don.

Fair enough but it's true if Trump never posted the tweet none of this would have happened. I'd also argue the emphasis on finding the users identity on CNN's behalf was more politically motivated as the user had a bad history and seen it as potentially damaging to Trump, than anything else.

CNN should never have said if user does X and Y we don't do Z. That behaviour is totally inappropriate for a news organisation. Without it they wouldn't have received such a backlash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,234 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CNN should never have said if user does X and Y we don't do Z. That behaviour is totally inappropriate for a news organisation. Without it they wouldn't have received such a backlash.
    As opposed to if user A does B we will do C?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/06/30/report_kushner_told_joe_scarborough_to_apologize_to_trump_in_exchange_for.html

Couldn't imagine how someone could be outraged about Case 1 and not Case 2.

Now you've expressed your backlash. numerous times now. Can we please move on? There is nothing left to cover there until/if someone files a lawsuit.

giphy.gif

Overheal wrote: »
    As opposed to if user A does B we will do C?

Strawman. I've never said if Kushner allegedly did that I'm fine with it. It's also a totally different situation.

I'm happy to move on, I've been responding to replies, that's how forums work.

It's kinda the same; they were going to stop the Enquirer from making what would equate to the CNN wrestling video, in said example.

I digress. Look at this,

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-charles-payne-fox-business-20170706-story.html

Another sexual harassment case at Fox - no, I'm not talking about the one that happened a few days ago either. This is about a fox Business analyst who had an affair with one of the regularly featured opinionists, for about 3 years. Recently they broke it off and her appearances on the show had tapered off - and she lawyered up.
    The woman was never an employee of Fox News, but appeared as a guest across numerous Fox News and Fox Business Network programs with the hope of becoming a paid contributor. She has told her lawyer, who is preparing a legal complaint against Fox News and Payne, that she stayed in the relationship because she believed he would help her chances of landing a position at the network, according to the sources.

Which sounds about right. Although, they will probably argue in court something to the effect of she slept her way up the ladder, etc.

Still the bodies are really piling up for Fox. I think something finally snapped over there, during Trump's election campaign, where the women at Fox have begun to collectively realize what the culture of their company is, and how shockingly contrasting/comparable it was to their coverage of Trump. I think you are going to see the national culture shift even more under Trump as a net result of everything that's been going on.
    The allegations are the latest to hit 21st Century Fox, which has been plagued by sexual harassment charges across several units over the last year. Former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson filed suit last year against the network's former chief executive, Roger Ailes. Since then, several other women have come forward with allegations against Ailes and other significant figures.

Tamara Holder, a former Fox News contributor, received a settlement from the company after alleging she was sexually assaulted by an executive, Francisco Cortes, who oversaw the network’s Spanish language operation. Holder never reported the incident to legal authorities, but Cortes was fired.

The network’s star anchor, Bill O’Reilly, was pushed out in April after reports that he and Fox had paid out millions to settle harassment claims going back to 2004. Los Angeles radio personality Wendy Walsh alleged that O’Reilly promised her a position on his highly rated show, “The O’Reilly Factor,” if she would have sex with him.

On Monday, Jamie Horowitz, a top executive at Fox Sports, was fired amid harassment complaints.

I agree Fox has taken hits, loss of O'Reilly the biggest one obviously and there appears to be a culture problem within the network. I disagree they're in any sort of crisis. The new prime time schedule of Tucker Carlson, The five and Hannity is doing even better post O'Reilly, so while their reputation has taken hits over sexual allegations, it hasn't affected their ratings. They dominate cable TV.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/340812-political-news-rules-basic-cable-ratings-with-fox-news-and-msnbc-beating-out

"Fox News and MSNBC continue to enjoy soaring ratings as interest in the Trump administration remains high, according to Nielsen Research.

Fox was the highest-rated channel in total viewers in all of basic cable last week during primetime hours of 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET, with MSNBC finishing second ahead of HGTV, USA Network and Discovery, which rounded out the top five.

One of President Trump's favorite punching bags, CNN, came in No. 13 in total viewers behind Investigation Discovery and Nick at Nite."

Fox pro Trump, MSNBC anti Trump so it's not surprising those two dominate, MSNBC has had a big rise probably because of Maddow/Matthews nightly Putin theatrics. CNN is getting crushed on all fronts.

I have no doubt O'Reilly and his ilk are vile pigs, remember the do it live video, the guy is pyscho and was jerking it down the phone harassing Women. He hid it well for a long time but now he's ruined. This new claim while potentially serious, is kind of weak sauce in comparison, as you point out.

"The woman was never an employee of Fox News, but appeared as a guest across numerous Fox News and Fox Business Network programs with the hope of becoming a paid contributor. She has told her lawyer, who is preparing a legal complaint against Fox News and Payne, that she stayed in the relationship because she believed he would help her chances of landing a position at the network, according to the sources."

She was in the affair for 3 years hoping to land a paid spot and in the middle of it working for CNN? While it's bad PR I don't see it divulging into a fully fledged scandal. Worth pointing out it's Fox business, the sister network.

I think something finally snapped over there, during Trump's election campaign, where the women at Fox have begun to collectively realize what the culture of their company is, and how shockingly contrasting/comparable it was to their coverage of Trump. I think you are going to see the national culture shift even more under Trump as a net result of everything that's been going on.

Rupert Murdoch is 88 years old and isn't the man he once was. His two sons have pretty much taken over and they are apparently mostly responsible for the changes. They didn't jump in and defend ailes or o'reilley but let them go when the allegations surfaced.

• Advertisement

Megan Kelly ruined her career, she went after Trump which annoyed the Fox viewers and nobody watches her on NBC because she worked at Fox. She had a niche audience at Fox and was fairly balanced but decided to take Trump head on. That strategy isn't working well for CNN either.

Nope at this point you have to hand the rope over to Trump to hang himself with. That's not to say facts still aren't facts, but.

Either way, the rhetoric isn't toning down any time soon. Scalise was a good moment for that to happen, but hardheads left and right didn't take their cue to shut the **** up.

Nope at this point you have to hand the rope over to Trump to hang himself with. That's not to say facts still aren't facts, but.

Either way, the rhetoric isn't toning down any time soon. Scalise was a good moment for that to happen, but hardheads left and right didn't take their cue to shut the **** up.

Pretty distasteful dude, he went back into critical condition yesterday.

We can talk about Fox but CNN have had a turgid time all in the span of weeks.

First the Kathy Griffin thing, they fired her.
    Reza Azlan tweeted Trump is a POS, got fired.
    Then they talk for 2 days on how Comey is going to refute Trumps claim because their top analysts had a scoop with a source, wrong.
    They have to retract another bogus story on a Trump aide and fire another 3 high profile employees.
    Jame's O'Keefe then releases a series of damaging videos which the right eats up on the back of the firings.
    Now there's the last thing which has blown up and is probably the most damaging of the lot, they've turned the internet against them receiving heavy bi partisan pushback.

All those wounds were self inflicted. I don't feel bad for them, I think their anchors are condescending, smug and likely horrible people. They are in meltdown mode. They can still recover if Trump goes down, but barring that it's not looking great for the most trusted name in news.

Pretty distasteful dude, he went back into critical condition yesterday.

Serious condition, actually. Not critical. And no, criticizing everyone for negatively politicizing his injury/the shooting is not distasteful in the least.

Serious condition, actually. Not critical. And no, criticizing everyone for negatively politicizing his injury/the shooting is not distasteful in the least.

I've misunderstood what you said entirely, you said when the shooting happened people should have stepped back and cool things down. I agree obviously.

Honest apologies.

The moral high-ground is indeed high and mighty.

As for Trumps speech, he spoke about preserving Western culture in the wake of the real problems Europe is experiencing and the mess that is the middle east. As Poland have adopted a strong stance on immigration, and Trump has run and won on a similar platform, it would be stupid to expect parts of his speech ( small segments overall ) would not address that.

Come off it. He was way over the top and spoke as if Western civilisation was on the brink of collapse. He over exaggerates the issues to create fear. You can see it with his own policies such as the idea of the list of crimes by immigrants (to over exaggerate the crime rate of immigrants), spreading rumours about unemployment rate ("I heard it was really 40%").

Yes there are issues in Europe but the big question being the will to survive? ISIS has been on the retreat for quite a while and while the attacks are an issue that needs to be dealt with it should be in a calm manner. My sympathies are with the deceased but if you want to talk about Europe as an entity being in trouble the casualty rate would need to far far higher.

• Advertisement

Come off it. He was way over the top and spoke as if Western civilisation was on the brink of collapse. He over exaggerates the issues to create fear. You can see it with his own policies such as the idea of the list of crimes by immigrants (to over exaggerate the crime rate of immigrants), spreading rumours about unemployment rate ("I heard it was really 40%").

Has he exaggerated it as much as those on the other side of the Political spectrum have downplayed it and landed us in that mess? Both sides of that coin are dangerous. If you told me they'd be armed Garda Units patrolling after 7pm in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Kilkenny five years ago I would have laughed at you, directives like that didn't come from Trumps rhetoric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes there are issues in Europe but the big question being the will to survive? ISIS has been on the retreat for quite a while and while the attacks are an issue that needs to be dealt with it should be in a calm manner. My sympathies are with the deceased but if you want to talk about Europe as an entity being in trouble the casualty rate would need to far far higher.

I would even go as far to say that the current way that Trump is conducting business is itself a major threat to the west.

He has actively gone out of his way to create divisions within Europe. He very much sided with Brexit and very publicly sided with May when he became president.

He has called into question the very nature of Nato was unfit and said it was obsolete. He has called into question the UN itself.

He pulled out of a world wide agreement, which whilst I don't believe would have achieved the set out desire to reduce climate change, was in itself a major step forward in helping countries to work together

He refused to shake Merkels hand at the WH photo op. He has upped tensions with Mexico, Australia. He has seemingly a liking for leaders such as Erdogan and refused to even acknowledge (until yesterday it seems) that Russia was even a potential threat, never mind an active one.

He has gone on a solo run in terms of NK, and now seemingly expects help from others as his tough man approach hasn't worked.

The speech was good, hit all the right notes and did point to clear issues. But based on all his previous actions and comments one can only come to 1 of 2 conclusions.
    1) Trump has good speech writers who understand the issues but Trump doesn't believe it
    2) Trump has done a complete about turn on his previous standing.

Whilst I welcome the second if true, and hope it is, that then call into question whether the new Trump is the POTUS that people actually voted for at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Has he exaggerated it as much as those on the other side of the Political spectrum have downplayed it and landed us in that mess? Both sides of that coin are dangerous. If you told me they'd be armed Garda Units patrolling after 7pm in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Kilkenny five years ago I would have laughed at you, directives like that didn't come from Trumps rhetoric.

What armed patrols in Cork?

I live in Cork and maybe twice in 5 years have I ever seen the armed patrol van out and about.

You know, you could just as easily said you agree with his post without trying to dilute it with whataboutery

Sonics2k wrote: »
    What armed patrols in Cork?

I live in Cork and maybe twice in 5 years have I ever seen the armed patrol van out and about.

http://www.thejournal.ie/armed-support-units-irish-cities-terror-watch-3427293-Jun2017/

• Advertisement

Define what you mean by armed Garda units?

It's self explanatory.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You know, you could just as easily said you agree with his post without trying to dilute it with whataboutery

I don't agree with his post, I thought it was a good speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

If you told me they'd be armed Garda Units patrolling after 7pm in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Kilkenny five years ago I would have laughed at you,

There were armed Garda units patrolling five years ago. Armed patrols have been a thing for a while. The RSU were piloted in 2008 and became a permanent thing in 2012.
    As of 2012, RSU units began operating on a full-time permanent armed basis in the Eastern, Northern, Southern, South-Eastern and Western regions after a trial period.[10][11][12][13] Serious incidents such as barricaded sieges, hostage takings or terrorism triggers the response of the ERU anywhere in Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garda_Regional_Support_Unit

That is the ARU brought in to deal with organised crime. The guns are kept in the vehicle under lock and key, the cars usually stay at a base and respond to a armed situation. At no point do the AGS walk around the streets on patrol with a gun. I in my 40 plus years have never seen a member holding a gun on the street.

BTW nationally there are 80 member of the team so at any one time no more than approx 20 members on active duty in the whole country. I again assume most of them on east coast/dublin.

I don't agree with his post, I thought it was a good speech.

His post alluded to the speech being over the top. You then said he was exaggerated it. Thats an agreement no?

I never stated you didn't think it was good speech. On what basis did you think it was good? His rhetoric does not match his previous statements. You yourself have agreed it was exaggerated, one can only assume for effect. I have already asked which of the two options it was. Which do you think it was?

That is the ARU brought in to deal with organised crime. The guns are kept in the vehicle under lock and key, the cars usually stay at a base and respond to a armed situation. At no point do the AGS walk around the streets on patrol with a gun. I in my 40 plus years have never seen a member holding a gun on the street.

The ASU you mean? That article says the Garda Armed Support Unit.

"Today’s directive marks a departure for the ASU by sending members of its 55-strong force to other cities around the country. It is believed by TheJournal.ie that the ASU will be making its presence clear where intelligence has indicated potential threats to national security."

If I implied or said they were walking around with guns I retract that, I'm wrong. I know the threat of something happening is very low but it's still worrying when such measures need to be taken.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

BTW nationally there are 80 member of the team so at any one time no more than approx 20 members on active duty in the whole country. I again assume most of them on east coast/dublin.

There have been checkpoints in North county Dublin in the past two months with armed gardai on the street, one in Malahide, one in Feltrim, and two in Swords.

And those are just the ones I came across

Usually plain clothes gardai with guns

Leroy42 wrote: »
    His post alluded to the speech being over the top. You then said he was exaggerated it. Thats an agreement no?

I never stated you didn't think it was good speech. On what basis did you think it was good? His rhetoric does not match his previous statements. You yourself have agreed it was exaggerated, one can only assume for effect. I have already asked which of the two options it was. Which do you think it was?

Trump general rhetoric is exaggerated yes and things he's said about Mexicans and so in the past were ridiculous. I thought the speech itself was fine, biggest hitter was proposing an energy pact as Poland and other countries are reliant on Russia.

The ASU you mean? That article says the Garda Armed Support Unit.

"Today’s directive marks a departure for the ASU by sending members of its 55-strong force to other cities around the country. It is believed by TheJournal.ie that the ASU will be making its presence clear where intelligence has indicated potential threats to national security."

If I implied or said they were walking around with guns I retract that, I'm wrong. I know the threat of something happening is very low but it's still worrying when such measures need to be taken.

In light of 3 issues we need a ASU (you are correct) 1 dissident IRA of 14 attacked in U.K. Sine 911 9 have been Islam 4 Republican and 1 right wing, so Ireland has a risk of RIRA attack. 2 Gangland crime is a very real issue and much of the units current work involves that, 3 Islamic terror it would be a fool who would say Ireland is immune or not at risk from an attack for 2 reasons 1 a number of confirmed terror suspects in Ireland some in custody 2 close proximity to U.K. And 3 Shannon airport.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/22/uk-terror-attacks-since-11-september-2001

BTW since the unit started I have seen the cars no more than 6 times.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement