Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

OK thanks . I only got about 15 minutes on coverage last night . I had assumed there was a law of some kind .

The fact that so many of the things Trump does ends up being defended on nothing more than "its not illegal" is worrisome.

Nobody has claimed it is illegal, POTUS has pretty sweeping powers in many cases. For example firing Comey.

But as Peregrinus rightly pointed out, and it fits well with nearly all political scandals, it is not the act that is the issue its the apparent cover up.

Why would he not notify anybody of this? Why, when he has been going on for ages about the benefits of increased relationship with Russia would he not bring up that he had indeed achieved that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I thought Putin had his interpreter with him, just that Trump did not as his interpreter was for Japanese and didn't speak Russian

Check out Quin_Dubs post above about the interpreter ad who's table he came from. As others have said [i different wording] this is Don's way of doing things; off the cuff, ss with his remarks. It seems he'd carried his business style across into politics and international diplomacy and that's what causes the stories. He creates them as incidentals to life.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Check out Quin_Dubs post above about the interpreter ad who's table he came from. As others have said [i different wording] this is Don's way of doing things; off the cuff, ss with his remarks. It seems he'd carried his business style across into politics and international diplomacy and that's what causes the stories. He creates them as incidentals to life.

"joined only by Putin's own translator."

Why would any businessman go into a meeting outnumbered like this? Putin speaks English (AFAIK) so he could understand Trump but Putin could easily be saying things that Trump can't understand.

Having been in meetings with other nationalities, their ability to discuss amongst themselves in their own language before reverting back to English is a big advantage.

I don't buy this "well he is new at this". This isn't a job-bridge appointment. He has very experienced people within the government who should be bringing him up to speed on issues like this.

Now, either that hasn't happened or Trump has ignored them.

Trump put himself at a significant disadvantage. Why not call up a Russian translator?

The main problem, which Trump himself has created, is people simply don't trust him. He has no credibility. He can decry that, but it is down to his own actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭DaniilKharms

The other point is that there SHOULD be an official record, even if it's not made public.

When Putin comes out and says that Trump said x, y or z the world will have only Trump's word against Putin's. Its NOT done like this for a reason: to protect the President AND the interests of the US.

A SMART President would deliberately not put himself in a potentially compromising position, whereas Trump seems to actively seek them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The account seems to be that Putin & Trump had a separate sidebar discussion in the room where the dinner took place , for the better part of an hour.

The lack of a translator seems to be covered by the fact that each Head of state was allowed only 1 translator in the room and as Trump was seated with Shinzo Abe and his wife , they brought a Japanese translator. There were also no "staffers" in the room just Leaders, their Spouse and the translator.

They could have been talking about Ice hockey or they could have been talking about Sanctions and hacking..

We will likely never know as there is no transcript.

Spending an hour with 1 leader out of the 19 others in the room over the course of what I guess might have been a 3-4 hour event , seems highly unusual.

That it was Putin is just meat and drink to the Media..If he'd spent an hour shooting the breeze with Merkel or whoever , it probably wouldn't have registered.

These are formal events with an established protocol. If he was seated with Shinzo Abe, with a translator for him to talk to him, wasn't it extremely rude to walk away so as to chat with someone he found more congenial? It's on the same social level as teenage girls going to the toilet together.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

volchitsa wrote: »
    These are formal events with an established protocol. If he was seated with Shinzo Abe, with a translator for him to talk to him, wasn't it extremely rude to walk away so as to chat with someone he found more congenial? It's on the same social level as teenage girls going to the toilet together.

Not really - I think it's perfectly fine for someone to "mingle" at an event like that , it's kinda the point. Certainly once the formal dinner part is complete.

This wasn't a wedding or a party though where it might be perfectly normal for someone to spend a large chunk of the evening talking to one person.

It was a professional event where the expectation should/would have been that as POTUS he'd "work the room" and chat to everyone to some extent or other.

That he didn't do that and that he chose to dedicate a fairly large chunk of the available "mingling" time exclusively to Putin is highly unusual.

Add to that the usual obfuscation that seems to follow everything that he does , gives us the media scrum about this.

Not really - I think it's perfectly fine for someone to "mingle" at an event like that , it's kinda the point. Certainly once the formal dinner part is complete.

This wasn't a wedding or a party though where it might be perfectly normal for someone to spend a large chunk of the evening talking to one person.

It was a professional event where the expectation should/would have been that as POTUS he'd "work the room" and chat to everyone to some extent or other.

That he didn't do that and that he chose to dedicate a fairly large chunk of the available "mingling" time exclusively to Putin is highly unusual.

Add to that the usual obfuscation that seems to follow everything that he does , gives us the media scrum about this.

This whole "mingle" thing has been covered extensively in the US media.

Mingling is fine, but an hour long, private, sit down meeting, with a nation that is actively out to get you, with no other representative of the US government, is not a mingle.

There's no precedent for it - like much in the Trump WH - numerous Republicans that have worked in government think it was at best naive and irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Fox News inadvertently gave Trump a new catchphrase, no longer is it Make America Great Again, it's now

Screen-Shot-2017-07-18-at-2.26.05-PM.jpg

Hello all, this will be my very last post on Boards. Thanks to everyone that has been so nice and friendly.

I take this decision because Boards has officially decided to use their service to promote racism and intolerance and violence.

I refuse to be part of any forum that condones racism or intolerance.

Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hello all, this will be my very last post on Boards. Thanks to everyone that has been so nice and friendly.

I take this decision because Boards has officially decided to use their service to promote racism and intolerance and violence.

Best of luck everyone.

That's a pity. Your leaving will dilute the quality of posting on Boards. Don't let them win. Never let a troll win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That's a shame, was a good quality poster. Did I miss something re why they closed the account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

His behaviour in this instance shows, at the very least, bad judgement. And that's being kind to him.
    If he's there to mingle with other G20 leaders then dedicating an hour to Putin, while in the company and sightlines all these others is inappropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's a shame, was a good quality poster. Did I miss something re why they closed the account?

I see from his post history that he bravely ventured into some threads with titles that suggest they are probably bad for the soul on After Hours.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I see from his post history that he bravely ventured into some threads with titles that suggest they are probably bad for the soul on After Hours.

Ah yeah, I missed that. "Don't you dare call me a racist but Ireland should be for white people only" type sh*te! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Best of luck everyone.

Sorry to see you go, but I would be a firm follower of the mantra, if you don't even show up how can you win the debate?

Allowing echo chamber bubbles to grow (both left and right) does no good long term and differing opinions and voices should always be welcomed, debate the merits of the viewpoint,sure. Disagree with someone fundamentally, sure. Always show up though if you believe strongly enough in something.

Edit: This does not mean going around wasting your time involving yourself in every debate you come across! :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Best of luck everyone.
    I don't know if the poster will see this, but I'm sorry about that, it's a shame to lose a poster I found interesting.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

The other point is that there SHOULD be an official record, even if it's not made public.

When Putin comes out and says that Trump said x, y or z the world will have only Trump's word against Putin's. Its NOT done like this for a reason: to protect the President AND the interests of the US.

A SMART President would deliberately not put himself in a potentially compromising position, whereas Trump seems to actively seek them out.

This meeting was simply against International and US protocol. You don't have an extensive meeting with a foreign leader without your own people there.

Trump knows this, his knows that people will rightly claim that this is the very reason he met him like this. You are being investigated for campaign collusion withy Russia and possible treason on many fronts and you meet for an hour with Putin?
    This isn't stupidity: it is necessity. He needed this conversation or he was told to have it.

I agree Demfad, there is really no other possibility other than this was a deliberate act.

People keep claiming that he is new at all this, but with everything swirling around he must know that this type of action is always going to questioned. The other question is why keep it secret? Its not national security as he wouldn't even need to discuss what was talked about.

We are constantly told by the right how much a brilliant businessman Trump is, how intelligent he is. Yet he seems incapable of dealing with such complex issues as foreign policy norms!

This isn't a man that has been living in a cave, he has been involved with many politicians, seminars, pagents etc over the years and they all come with certain formalities. To think that he simply doesn't know that different events carry different norms and practices, I mean you wouldn't accept it from a child

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

This isn't a man that has been living in a cave, he has been involved with many politicians, seminars, pagents etc over the years and they all come with certain formalities. To think that he simply doesn't know that different events carry different norms and practices, I mean you wouldn't accept it from a child

But from reports of what he got up to at the beauty pageants I don't believe he has any idea of what normal practices would be considered in any situation at all and is just stuck to behaving like a 5 year old like he always has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I agree Demfad, there is really no other possibility other than this was a deliberate act.

People keep claiming that he is new at all this, but with everything swirling around he must know that this type of action is always going to questioned. The other question is why keep it secret? Its not national security as he wouldn't even need to discuss what was talked about.

We are constantly told by the right how much a brilliant businessman Trump is, how intelligent he is. Yet he seems incapable of dealing with such complex issues as foreign policy norms!

I think this excellent article exposes the lie that Trump is any kind of competent business man. This elaborates on his historic relationship with Russian money without which he would be a long forgotten bankrupt and obviously could never be president.

He spent much of the decade mired in litigation, filing for multiple bankruptcies and scrambling to survive. For most developers, the situation would have spelled financial ruin. But fortunately for Trump, his own economic crisis coincided with one in Russia.

In 1998, Russia defaulted on $40 billion in debt, causing the ruble to plummet and Russian banks to close. The ensuing financial panic sent the country’s oligarchs and mobsters scrambling to find a safe place to put their money. That October, just two months after the Russian economy went into a tailspin, Trump broke ground on his biggest project yet. Rising to 72 stories in midtown Manhattan, Trump World Tower would be the tallest residential building on the planet. Construction got underway in 1999—just as Trump was preparing his first run for the presidency on the Reform Party ticket— and concluded in 2001. As Bloomberg Businessweek reported earlier this year, it wasn’t long before one-third of the units on the tower’s priciest floors had been snatched up—either by individual buyers from the former Soviet Union, or by limited liability companies connected to Russia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Was the third person in the meeting really an interpreter? I've seen interviews with Putin speaking perfect English....

Maybe the interpreter was there to translate Trumps nonsense into English that Putin could understand, sometimes I feel like I need an interpreter when I listen to trump talking :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

MadYaker wrote: »
    Was the third person in the meeting really an interpreter? I've seen interviews with Putin speaking perfect English....

Maybe the interpreter was there to translate Trumps nonsense into English that Putin could understand, sometimes I feel like I need an interpreter when I listen to trump talking :pac:
    Putin always seems to have a few translators floating round the place. Have seen the lad from the Oliver Stone interviews at a couple of major events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/887302632687251456

Don't the Republicans have 52 Senators?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Real presidential Don :rolleyes: He's truly clueless.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/887654816507408384

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Seems like a million years ago now but what's that saying about counting your chickens :)

Probably should have unfurled a banner saying 'Mission Accomplished'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sonics2k wrote: »

DFCY0HvUIAAtcVR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Real presidential Don :rolleyes: He's truly clueless.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/887654816507408384

I really think that level of hubris comes from him thinking that legislating is as easy as sitting down for a meal with someone, hashing out a deal, shaking hands and everyone is happy.

Do they even have Rep whips working in the Senate? Does he have anyone explaining to him how the 'sausage factory' works and then giving him relevant intel on how various members are likely to vote, before the shambles of what's just transpired?

It's amateur-hour and it doesn't look like anyone on his staff is able to take control because Trump is too fragile to cede to other's opinions and nobody seems empowered or capable enough to take control of the agenda.

Best of all, when he said the failure of Obamacare would not be on the Republican's - 'we don't own it' - his cynical approach is clearly one of playing the martyr whilst pleading - 'I tired to do everything I promised on healthcare but the bad Dems wouldn't support me!'. Truly sad, coming from the guy refusing any bi-partisanship on the bill, or even input from most of his own party.

He thinks he can force the Dems into bi-partisanship after the latest mess, now that his own bill has failed and he's willing to let Obamacare die on the vine, just so he can be seen to win...

ICYMI

"When Putin raised the possibility of extending the 2010 treaty, known as New START, Trump paused to ask his aides in an aside what the treaty was, these sources said.

Trump then told Putin the treaty was one of several bad deals negotiated by the Obama administration, saying that New START favored Russia. Trump also talked about his own popularity, the sources said."

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/donald-trump-screwed-up-a-big-opportunity-to-avoid-nucl-1792198491

This is how misinformed and poorly biased the man is.

"A new poll from the left-leaning Public Policy Polling found that a staggering number of Trump voters — 72 per cent — believe the entire Russia story is “fake news” — with 32 per cent believing the Don Jr. meeting never took place, despite the president’s son himself admitting it did.

Perhaps more interesting, however, is the poll’s revelation that 77 per cent of Trump voters believe the president should stay in office if it turned out his campaign did collude with Russia to defeat Clinton."

http://www.mediaite.com/online/it-turns-out-trump-supporters-dont-care-if-the-presidents-campaign-colluded-with-russia/

For a lot of Trump's supporters, they are simply galvanized against any sort of facts. For those that aren't entirely, they are simply galvanized against Democrats.

Suuuure. It's totally fine that Trump may be very well compromised by ex-KGB that now run Moscow.

Remember when being tied to Russia meant you were a communist?

Overheal wrote: »
    "A new poll from the left-leaning Public Policy Polling found that a staggering number of Trump voters — 72 per cent — believe the entire Russia story is “fake news” — with 32 per cent believing the Don Jr. meeting never took place, despite the president’s son himself admitting it did.

Perhaps more interesting, however, is the poll’s revelation that 77 per cent of Trump voters believe the president should stay in office if it turned out his campaign did collude with Russia to defeat Clinton."

http://www.mediaite.com/online/it-turns-out-trump-supporters-dont-care-if-the-presidents-campaign-colluded-with-russia/

For a lot of Trump's supporters, they are simply galvanized against any sort of facts. For those that aren't entirely, they are simply galvanized against Democrats.

Suuuure. It's totally fine that Trump may be very well compromised by ex-KGB that now run Moscow.

Remember when being tied to Russia meant you were a communist?

That's grim reading. Plus the fact that Trump is more popular than Hilary today.

I feel sorry for people with a brain who live in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    I really think that level of hubris comes from him thinking that legislating is as easy as sitting down for a meal with someone, hashing out a deal, shaking hands and everyone is happy.

Do they even have Rep whips working in the Senate? Does he have anyone explaining to him how the 'sausage factory' works and then giving him relevant intel on how various members are likely to vote, before the shambles of what's just transpired?

No. None of that. Remember in the US system the Congress and the presidency are separate branches of government.
    So The Whitehouse is on its own, isolated, and trump fired as many of the staff as he could because he was paranoid they liked Obama more.
    He has Jared Kushner and Steve Bannon to advise him, both completely inexperienced in politics or anything like this. He also has Reince Priebus who used to be "chairman" of the republican party, and who should know a bit about how washington works, but apparently they dont listen to him.

Thats partly why its such a mess. The whitehouse isnt going to produce any legislation. There's not a chance in hell. But trump has no idea at all how to work with congress to get legislation passed anyway, and doesn't seem to be interested.

Wonder how loyal Trump supporters will be when Granny pops her clogs after Obamacare crashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jared kushner the son in law of the president will testify next week behind closed doors with the senate intelligence committee. Why behind closed doors if you've got nothing to hide as his father has been banging on for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The other two amigos will be in public, later in the week. The three better agree on one story over the weekend.

Water John wrote: »
    The other two amigos will be in public, later in the week. The three better agree on one story over the weekend.
    Donie Jr and Paul is it ? john,given what we know about the trump Administration do you honestly think they will do that ? These lads can't read emails fully apparently.

IF by some miracle they ever get Donald trump Sr to testify in public, then two words BOX and OFFICE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In that case, a week is a long time in politics.

Water John wrote: »
    In that case, a week is a long time in politics.

Yep. But of course it's all a witch hunt and it's a nothing burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The Irish Times has what I think is an unusual take on the President and the Senate. I didn't think he had the power the headline seems to confer on him.... https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/donald-trump-orders-senators-to-skip-holiday-to-replace-obamacare-1.3160592

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Wonder how loyal Trump supporters will be when Granny pops her clogs after Obamacare crashes.

"Thanks Obama."

Seriously. To be a Trump supporter at this point requires a complete immunity to facts and logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Cliffnotes for those of us who ran through our free articles quota watching his son hilariously and repeatedly admit to collusion, breaking the law and possibly committing treason while doing all he possibly could to show us how his father's campaign was also directly involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It should be apparent at this point that they will swallow the, "I tried but the Dems obstructed and ruined everything" bull**** excuse that is being rolled out and will continue to support the almighty (R) and hate the liberals even more.

He is already putting out the spin.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

aloyisious wrote: »
    Wishing Sen John McCain much good luck and health in the future. As luck would have it, the Senate vote to decide on the future of the ACA was postponed by Mitch McConnell because John is recovering after surgery on Friday to remove a blood clot over his right eye. Mitch knows that John is pro the removal of the ACA and without his vote, the GOP don't have the numbers to vote the ACA out of existence. This will give the GOP extra time to get a deal done with its Senators opposing the vote, and maybe it'll serve as a timely reminder to the Senators of how important healthcare is to people, elderly and otherwise....

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiLqd__wo3VAhXoJ8AKHU1VB_EQqUMIMDAF&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2017%2F07%2F15%2Fus%2Fmccains-surgery-will-delay-senate-votes-on-health-care-bill.html&usg=AFQjCNF9v_afzsX5ezVfEddYDvAInO8qPw

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/politics/john-mccain-brain-cancer.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&referer=https://t.co/6pztqldOrS?amp=1

It is confirmed he has Brain Cancer. Explains that weird questioning at hearing a while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,721 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

MadYaker wrote: »

Putin speaks good English and fluent German, but nevertheless always likes to conduct meeting with English- and German-speakers using translators. The fact that he has already understood what was said in English/German allows him to consider his reply while the translation into Russian is happening, and he thinks this give hims a tactical advantage.

That's not uncommon. Putin speaks German and Merkel speaks Russian, but they both bring translators when they meet each other for talks.

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Billy86 wrote: »
    Cliffnotes for those of us who ran through our free articles quota watching his son hilariously and repeatedly admit to collusion, breaking the law and possibly committing treason while doing all he possibly could to show us how his father's campaign was also directly involved?
    Some highlights. According to Trump:

- Attorney General Sessions should never have recused himself from the Russia investigation. Doing so was "extremely unfair - and that's a mild word" to Trump himself. Had Sessions told Trump that he would do such a thing, Trump would never have appointed him as Attorney General.

- No 2 at the Dept of Justice, Rod Rosenstein, has a conflict of interest. Rosenstein recommended the dismissal of Comey. He later appointed Robert Mueller to investigate the Trump/Russia allegations. Mueller's investigation is now looking into whether the dismissal of Comey was an illegal obstruction of justice. "That's a conflict of interest right there".

- Rosenstein is from Baltimore. This annoys Trump. "There are very few Republicans in Baltimore, if any".

- Comey's testimony to Congress was "loaded up with lies".

- Robert Mueller, now investigating the Trump/Russia allegations, was apparently one of those who applied for the Attorney-General's position before it was given to Sessions. Apparently this also creates a conflict of interest for Mueller, in Trump's mind.

- The FBI Director General should be reporting directly to him, Trump. In Trump's mind, the practice whereby the FBI DG reports to the AG was a convention that snuck in at the time of Watergate but is improper. "But the FBI person really reports directly to the president of the United States, which is interesting." (In fact the FBI DG has always reported to Attorney-General since the Bureau was created in 1908.)

- The subject which Trump and Putin discussed at the recently-disclosed second meeting during the G20 summit was "adoption". (This is a widely seen as a euphemism for opposition to US sanctions on Russia, since Russia expressed it's irritation over those sanctions by banning intercountry adoption of Russian children to the US.) That's the same topic which was discussed at the recently-disclosed meeting in Trump Tower between Mini-Trump and others from the Trump campaign and a Russian lawyer . The fact that these two meetings were about the same topic is, in Trump's view, "interesting".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jared kushner the son in law of the president will testify next week behind closed doors with the senate intelligence committee. Why behind closed doors if you've got nothing to hide as his father has been banging on for months.

This is one guy I want to see being put under pressure of a public hearing. He's the Secretary of Everthing but isn't accountable, never answers or takes questions. All he does as far I can see is put on that pretty boy smile and goes to meetings, has he made any decisions or actually implemented anything.... A pure bluffer if I ever saw one

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    This is one guy I want to see being put under pressure of a public hearing. He's the Secretary of Everthing but isn't accountable, never answers or takes questions. All he does as far I can see is put on that pretty boy smile and goes to meetings, has he made any decisions or actually implemented anything.... A pure bluffer if I ever saw one

Do you not think that CNN are ruining their reputation by using all means to get the Donald?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think it's the Committee that decides whether hearings will be closed or open, not the witness. Kushner is testifying to the Senate Intelligence Committee, and they regularly hold closed hearings. The reason is that the members of the Committee all have security clearance, and questions can be asked and answered about classified matters in a closed hearing that couldn't be asked if the hearing was public.

• Advertisement

quintana76 wrote: »
    Do you not think that CNN are ruining their reputation by using all means to get the Donald?
    In the way that the Washington Post ruined its reputation by using all means to get Nixon? :rolleyes:

No, I don't. Trump is the President. The President's word's and deeds are always exposed to a high degree of critical scrutiny; that's generally considered an important aspect of a functioning democracy. And Trump in particular has repeatedly uttered words and engaged in deeds designed to attract a higher-than-normal degree of critical scrutiny.

The media would ruin their reputation if they did not cover Trump iin pretty much the way that they are doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement