Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It'll be interesting to know what he heard/was told about while in the employ of Don. I'm assuming, despite his job, he'd have contacts within the media who might have exchanged [leaked] titbits with him on the QT. The question now is whether Congress might think about calling him to testify on what he may have learned while in the W/H [briefings on the side] so he can be alert to any questions and bat them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Spicer has something that few in the trump WH has/always seemed to have which is an internal struggle to spout utter rubbish and lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Won't bother Huckabee.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    He really was rubbish tbf. Whether he was pushed or left the writing was on the wall. He was creating more problems when his job is to smooth the problems

Ah leroy his job was like tarmacing a road with a guy behind you digging up the tarmac you've just put down.

Water John wrote: »
    Won't bother Huckabee.

Not a bother to her. I mean she is the daughter of mike who lives in an alternate universe at times.

Easy, the one thing that fresh tarmac cannot put up with actually is, cows**t.
    Destroys it. In this case bulls**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Won't bother Huckabee.
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ah leroy his job was like tarmacing a road with a guy behind you digging up the tarmac you've just put down.

You have to admit that Huckabee is far better at it. It might not be a job than any of us agree with, but in terms of delivering the requirements of POTUS he was really poor at it.

He struggled with English, foreign names seemed to be completely beyond him, and little grasp of history. He was easily riled up and had little capacity to hide when he was lying.

Huckabee seems to enjoy it. It seems to be a game she is very happy to play, and sees her job as the almost the destruction of the journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

He was creating more problems when his job is to smooth the problems
    Think that's very very harsh..

he could only do so much, considering the ****e he was being told to spout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭volchitsa

He really was rubbish tbf. Whether he was pushed or left the writing was on the wall. He was creating more problems when his job is to smooth the problems

That's harsh. There's a limit to how far "smoothing" works when the president is basically an incompetent disaster. Spicer was handicapped by his awareness of just how unbelievable the stuff he was saying actually was.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Trumpsupporters will just blame the media for being mean to spicer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

He can relax now for the first time since he was appointed to the job. I mean his head must have been melted having to push a narrative that everything in the country and the WH was all sunshine and rainbows.

Nobody was forcing him to spout all that extensive bull****. If he had a conscience or any sort of self respect, he'd have resigned about 5.5 months ago.

I know its sounds harsh, it a job that no honest person could do. However, he could have come about it a different way. There was no need to be so aggressive and openly hostile from the off. That first Press Conf was the nail in his coffin, he never recovered from that.

And far from recovering, nearly every week brought a new mess up. So I'm sure the official line will be that he resigned. It looks better for both him and the WH. But I don't buy it for a second.

But at the end of the day Huckabee is doing a much better job than he was. So harsh or not, he was not cut out for it.

I say that as a compliment to him. Some jobs people should be happy they are not cut out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

You have to admit that Huckabee is far better at it. It might not be a job than any of us agree with, but in terms of delivering the requirements of POTUS he was really poor at it.

He struggled with English, foreign names seemed to be completely beyond him, and little grasp of history. He was easily riled up and had little capacity to hide when he was lying.

Huckabee seems to enjoy it. It seems to be a game she is very happy to play, and sees her job as the almost the destruction of the journalist.

Spicer did himself no favors but Huckabee has the advantage that they have shut WH press briefings to film crews. So while audio is.avaiable you do not get the visuals of her squirming as you did with Spicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Spicer did himself no favors but Huckabee has the advantage that they have shut WH press briefings to film crews. So while audio is.avaiable you do not get the visuals of her squirming as you did with Spicer.

Think I seen somewhere on twitter today, one of the journalists live-streamed one of the briefings recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He can relax now for the first time since he was appointed to the job.

He was apparently lined up with the ambassadorship in the Phoenix Park, nice scenery to chill him out. If the row with Trump was as bad as it's rumoured to it may not be happening.

Gotta almost feel sorry for the guy, poisoned chalice from the off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

I know its sounds harsh, it a job that no honest person could do. However, he could have come about it a different way. There was no need to be so aggressive and openly hostile from the off. That first Press Conf was the nail in his coffin, he never recovered from that.

And far from recovering, nearly every week brought a new mess up. So I'm sure the official line will be that he resigned. It looks better for both him and the WH. But I don't buy it for a second.

But at the end of the day Huckabee is doing a much better job than he was. So harsh or not, he was not cut out for it.

I say that as a compliment to him. Some jobs people should be happy they are not cut out for.

Honestly, the bolded line sounds like a reflection of Trump presidency. Huckabee also went on a tangent against the 'fake news', the offensive is simply not unique to Spicer. They've simply shut down the press office more than ever. That factor is terrifying more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

She's confirmed by Scamucci. Turned him off, couldn't stay listening to his BS.
    He's in love with everyone in the WH.

• Advertisement

I can see why trump would like the new lad. He talks the same rubbish as spicer and huckabee sanders but he does it smoother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I suspect The Trump WH will have a long series of firings as each person disappoints " daddy ", its a function of very bad managers that the underling take the blame

Loyalty is a one way street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

He struggled with English, foreign names seemed to be completely beyond him, and little grasp of history. He was easily riled up and had little capacity to hide when he was lying as

And still he managed to get elected as president...

frag420 wrote: »

a case text that will be studied by many college students in the future

a case text that will be studied by many college students in the future

• Advertisement

and to bring in Godwins theory , so did Hitler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lots of rumblings in usually reliable places saying that one of the big stories that the press were told to sit on is going to break very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Compared to December, the US dollar is now down by 11c on where it was against the Euro, 10c on where it was against the Canadian dollar, and is even down 6c on the struggling and uncertain post Brexit British pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Apparently Mark Corallo has also stepped down, he was the one in charge of the responses from Trump's legal team to the Russian collusion allegations

Edit, that was almost 24 hours ago so might have missed it mentioned in this thread.

Lots of rumblings in usually reliable places saying that one of the big stories that the press were told to sit on is going to break very soon.

Is this sitting-on and delay in release related to legal niceties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Don't if it will go passed pay wall but sessions discussed the election with the Russian ambassador according to secret cables....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/sessions-discussed-trump-campaign-related-matters-with-russian-ambassador-us-intelligence-intercepts-show/2017/07/21/3e704692-6e44-11e7-9c15-177740635e83_story.html?tid=a_breakingnews&utm_term=.c8c10730c108

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

FoxNews reporting that Jeff Sessions had a discussion with Russia ambassador Kislyak about matters which he denied discussing with the Russians. The report is apparently based on info from the intelligence community which was monitoring Russian communications and allegedly overheard Kislyak telling to another Russian that he had discussed certain matters relating to recent US - Russian relationship differences with Jeff Sessions during the election campaign. Fox report is based on W/P story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Video for those stuck behind the paywall - https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/world/sessions-discussed-trump-campaign-matters-with-russian-ambassador-according-to-us-intercepts/2017/07/21/de26e596-6e63-11e7-abbc-a53480672286_video.html

Last month's Senate hearing:
    Ron Wyden: "Mr. Comey said there were matters with respect to the recusal that were problematic and he couldn't talk about them. What are they?"
    Sessions: "I ... why don't you tell me? There are none, Sen Wyden! There are none! I can tell you that for absolute certainty. This is a secret innuendo out being leaked out there about me, and I don't appreciate it."

Patrick Leahy: Several of the President-elect's nominees or senior advisers have Russian ties. Have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after election day?
    Sessions: No.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Video for those stuck behind the paywall - https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/world/sessions-discussed-trump-campaign-matters-with-russian-ambassador-according-to-us-intercepts/2017/07/21/de26e596-6e63-11e7-abbc-a53480672286_video.html

Ron Wyden: "Mr. Comey said there were matters with respect to the recusal that were problematic and he couldn't talk about them. What are they?"
    Sessions: "I ... why don't you tell me? There are none, Sen Wyden! There are none! I can tell you that for absolute certainty. This is a secret innuendo out being leaked out there about me, and I don't appreciate it."

Patrick Leahy: Several of the President-elect's nominees or senior advisers have Russian ties. Have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after election day?

Is that the quote which [when JS was reminded of it] he allegedly said "I thought you meant after I was appointed as AG and NOT before that" or a reply to that effect?

Umm W/P: Sessions had MEETINGS, plural....

The only defence, is that Kislyak was gilding it to his boss.
    A contest of liars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Billy86 wrote: »

Quick! Grab the fire extinguisher. Sessions' pants is on fire.

Sessions is a God fearing, bible reading, true Republican. Like George Washington, he never told a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Quick! Grab the fire extinguisher. Sessions' pants is on fire.

That's a scurrilous accusation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Sessions is a God fearing, bible reading, true Republican. Like George Washington, he never told a lie.

He was as slipy as an eel in the Senate hearings. Never gave a straight answer it was all "to my best recollection" crap with that slimey butter woulnt melt in my mouth southern gentleman acent....

He could resign tho, don't think he as a neck like Trump (Well no one does)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Ipse dixit

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    He was as slipy as an eel in the Senate hearings. Never gave a straight answer it was all "to my best recollection" crap with that slimey butter woulnt melt in my mouth southern gentleman acent....

He could resign tho, don't think he as a neck like Trump (Well no one does)

Sessions isn't stupid. He's hardly going to perjure himself and state absolutele truths. If he didn't use the words 'to the best of my recollection' the DNC and the media would look for anything to use against him and would ensure that he was charged with perjury.

• Advertisement

That's a scurrilous accusation.

Fake news. Hopefully, not though. Would be another nail in Trump's coffin.

Can see Sessions going over this, although compared to his lying under oath , this story can easily be put off as Kislyak simply making things up for his bosses. (again another unfortunate coincidence though).

What it does show is that the Russians felt they had an a contact in the Trump campaign and the Trump campaign (through Trump Jr) felt they had a contact with the Russian government.

But with the recent NYT interview Trump clearly wants to get rid of Sessions and I doubt they are going to go out of their way to help him and he will feel the pressure to go.

If he goes it will be quite extraordinary just how many of Trumps staff/advisors have resigned in such a short time. Coupled with the huge amount of posts that still lie unfilled and the WH and by extension the workings of the government is in total disarray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

This could all be quite handy for trump.
    Ok, so losing another member of his administration under a cloud is bad.
    But being able to replace him with a puppet and thereby regaining control over the mueller investigation is good.
    There was some talk of recess appointments on cnn last night - basically timing things so your nominations can avoid confirmation hearings.

derb12 wrote: »
    This could all be quite handy for trump.
    Ok, so losing another member of his administration under a cloud is bad.
    But being able to replace him with a puppet and thereby regaining control over the mueller investigation is good.
    There was some talk of recess appointments on cnn last night - basically timing things so your nominations can avoid confirmation hearings.

I think Trump is more likely distancing himself from the Justice department and Sessions as opposed to replacing him. Unless dirt has been uncovered on Sessions it makes no sense for Trump to replace him as the AG has already recused himself. Appointing a new AG doesn't give him any more control over the Russian investigation as a special counsel has already been appointed and that decision cannot be overturned.

Trump cannot gain any control over the investigation by replacing his AG. The suggestion that he would is just scaremongering but that's typical of this presidency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The obvious next move is to make Spicer ambassador to Ireland.

Can the President not ask or order, the AG, or his deputy, to fire the Special Counsel, Mueller?

I heard that mentioned about Spicer, Hande.

Can the President not ask or order, the AG, or his deputy, to fire the Special Counsel, Mueller?

I heard that mentioned about Spicer, Hande.

Yes, he could ask Rosenstein to fire Mueller but Mueller would have to be replaced unless he repeals the special counsel regulation. Firing a special counsel will just lead to complete chaos especially in the current climate.

Trump firing Mueller has all come from Christopher Ruddy, who appears to have no insight to the Trump camp.

More innuendo and no substance.

Thanks for the clarification, dixit. With Trump already drawing red lines for Mueller, anything is possible.
    It's the same with the idea of pardons being floated, already.
    With this Presidency, anythings possible. I wouldn't be filing it, under fake news.

Ipse dixit wrote: »
    I think Trump is more likely distancing himself from the Justice department and Sessions as opposed to replacing him. Unless dirt has been uncovered on Sessions it makes no sense for Trump to replace him as the AG has already recused himself. Appointing a new AG doesn't give him any more control over the Russian investigation as a special counsel has already been appointed and that decision cannot be overturned.

Trump cannot gain any control over the investigation by replacing his AG. The suggestion that he would is just scaremongering but that's typical of this presidency.

There are many ways in which Sessions might depart. This is one I'd pay good money to see: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104156249&postcount=756

• Advertisement

Ipse dixit wrote: »

You are making the mistake of applying conventional logic to Trump.

There was no 'advantage' to firing Comey, but he did it anyway.

There was no 'reason' to make such an issue over crowd size at the inauguration, but he went after it for weeks.

There is no 'reason' to make personal attacks against Mika & Joe. Yet he not only did it but doubled down on it.

Its not about a reason in political terms. Its a matter of control. He is used to just getting rid of anybody who is either doesn't agree with or doesn't need anymore. Christie and Giuliani for example. It sends to signal to everyone else that even the slightest step out of line will result in removal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement