Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump seems to be simply now held almost in contempt, certainly not fear or respect, by various arms of the state and the GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Tell me if I'm wrong but the Republic of Ireland defense forces Does not accept transgender into its Military.?

I never applied, so I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I had a quick look around and it appears the Irish Defence Forces have no issue with transgender people serving:

https://eile.ie/2016/10/14/25729/
    This week (11th October) Vice Admiral Mark Mellett DSM, attended the official launch of Defend With Pride, the Irish Defence Forces LGBTA Network.
    Speaking at the event, the Chief of Staff highlighted the importance of diversity for both personnel and the organisation, stating:
    “The provision and fostering of a diverse and inclusive workplace environment, reflective of Irish society, is our Moral Duty and, for the Defence Forces, it means better decision making, better agility, better resilience.”....

Defend With Pride, the LGBTA Network, is a resource for all Defence Force personnel. It aims to provide support, information and guidance for LGBT personnel and Allies, who wish to support colleagues, friends and family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I like how Trump just uses Twitter to distract, changes the whole narrative in the media for a few days from other more serious issues regarding Sessions. Fantastic tactics from him.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I like how Trump just uses Twitter to distract, changes the whole narrative in the media for a few days from other more serious issues regarding Sessions. Fantastic tactics from him.

The one thing I find more disturbing about the fact that an insane circus clown is running the US is the fact that there are people clapping gleefully about it. At least he has the excuse that he's insane, and can't help himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

To a little pony above..

It might distract your average trump supporter who might think he is a genius :) but all his bull**** is not distracting the man who matters, the man who is going to bring him down, the man who has a crack team of professional prosecutors, the man with decades of FBI investigation experience, the man who can look into everything Trump does including his "most precious" his money, the man Trump cant sack....ROBERT MUELLER.... Mr special procesctor. Go ahead and laugh all you want Trump is in trouble and he knows it him self. He is only fooling you.....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    It might distract your average trump supporter who might think he is a genius :)

Polls out today put him down at 35% approval.

He continues to break records in unpopularity.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-trump-approval-rating-dips-to-35-percent/
    Save

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Ipse dixit

Despite how unwelcome your post will be on here what you're saying is largely true. Although he's made a complete fool of himself on Twitter quite regularly; it's his best means of communicating his key messages to his audience. He tried to take on the media so his message will be just be obfuscated in the traditional media and any good he's deemed to have done will be lost in rhetoric and innuendo.

Distrust of the media is at an all time high and its important that Trump keeps a direct line to his audience.

Ultimately his Twitter nonsense will prove more damaging than good but I suspect with the Democrats still blaming Russia for all of their problems Trump may yet return in 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If his twitter habit is so brilliant at disracting how come Russia is still a thing?

It distracts for a few days at most but the narrative always returns. Many times it returns because of something Trump does or those close to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The New Yorker piece on the Mooch is well worth a read. The guy certainly meets the administrations requirements of being both idiotic and slightly insane (also bonus point for looking like a rejected background artist from A Wolf of Wallstreet). Seriously, where the **** do they find these guys. Are they just drawn to each other?

The New Yorker piece on the Mooch is well worth a read. The guy certainly meets the administrations requirements of being both idiotic and slightly insane (also bonus point for looking like a rejected background artist from A Wolf of Wallstreet). Seriously, where the **** do they find these guys. Are they just drawn to each other?

SNL are going to have a field day with this fool, OMG he is so up Trumps hole is isn't funny, seriously it's not....he actually says he loves Trump a

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/27/politics/scaramucci-reince-trump/index.html

What I can't understand how these people believe Trump is going to be their buddies????? If the Mooch is getting more press that his emporer Lord Trumpski then the Mooch is gone in the morning....

What do they hope to get out if this adoration....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ipse dixit wrote: »
    Although he's made a complete fool of himself on Twitter quite regularly; it's his best means of communicating his key messages to his audience.

He doesn't have key messages. He's a vapid, narcissistic, directionless windbag. You can tell us to your heart's content how fine the Emperor's clothes are; it's not going to make him less naked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Fox reporting that Scaramucci was talking to a reporter about the WH chief of staff: Rience is a [f******] paranoid schizophrenic allegedly without saying to the reporter if the chat was on or off the record. Fox also saying the reference is in relation to Scaramucci saying he would fire WH leakers. Politico reported that Scaramucci may have been referring to Rience "leaking" documents which were public records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

aloyisious wrote: »
    Fox reporting that Scaramucci was talking to a reporter about the WH chief of staff: Rience is a [f******] paranoid schizophrenic allegedly without saying to the reporter if the chat was on or off the record. Fox also saying the reference is in relation to Scaramucci saying he would fire WH leakers. Politico reported that Scaramucci may have been referring to Rience "leaking" documents which were public records.

It's cool he passes all these comments off as jokes.

You know I was joking about that.

The guy is a knucklehead and tries to control the narrative heavily. He was hilarious on CNN today with his leaks diatribe even referenced hanging leakers

everlast75 wrote: »

OMG the whole lot are Insane, I reckon the Mooch will last 1-2 months? He is generating too much press coverage away from his lordship.....his ego will not stand for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was just coming to post that New Yorker article. Oh my sweet baby Jesus he's off his game. I mean the fact he didn't think to say this was off the record makes it even madder.

Yeah the spotlight is only big enough for trump. The White House is like a scene from [insert favourite American gangster movie here].

Thinking about it now, one of my most favourite shows ever was "The West Wing" brilliant. After every episode i would imagine i would love a job working in the West wing, working my balls off, never seeing home, but making history making a difference. You could see it on the Obama admin also those people loved working there. He commanded respect and they gave it back.

Now look at Trump White house........

I actually don't understand it?? you go into government trying to help people, but these people want to **** people up for some reason. Bannon wants to destroy government, destroy the environment, human rights LGBT etc WHY all the hate and the selflessness....

It bothers me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

From the Mooch:
    “I ask these guys not to leak anything and they can’t help themselves,” he said. “You’re an American citizen, this is a major catastrophe for the American country. So I’m asking you as an American patriot to give me a sense of who leaked it.”

Beautiful.He encapsulates the Trump administration in many ways,yet he'll probably be gone in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't dismiss The Mooch, thinking he'l be gone soon. No, I think this is just the escalation of the WH to another level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Thinking about it now, one of my most favourite shows ever was "The West Wing" brilliant. After every episode i would imagine i would love a job working in the West wing, working my balls off, never seeing home, but making history making a difference. You could see it on the Obama admin also those people loved working there. He commanded respect and they gave it back.

Now look at Trump White house........

I actually don't understand it?? you go into government trying to help people, but these people want to **** people up for some reason. Bannon wants to destroy government, destroy the environment, human rights LGBT etc WHY all the hate and the selflessness....

It bothers me

Yeah I've gone back and looked back at videos of the obama White House and you can feel a warmness from the videos. I'm sure they had their views and they didn't probably always agree but It was probably never personal. I mean you watch the president obama and the First Lady greeting people on the White House tours and it looked genuinely like a happy place.

I mean reading and seeing the stuff from the trump White House it's a cold ruthless place. It must actually be a horrible place to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Do you just flip a coin to decide if you'll complain about the media making stuff up to make Trump look bad or tell people how much of a genius Trump is at controlling them?

Fox reporting that Scaramucci says that he was talking tough about Rience, that they are like brothers - Cain and Abel, that Rience can explain about his "leaking" and that it was up to the President now. So he's reportedly dumped the row in the President's lap to sort out.

Fox also on the presidential policy tweet about transgender people not being allowed serve in the military [reference to Don's tweets being official presidential announcements] that the chairman of the JCS doesn't recognize that tweet as being official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Fox also on the presidential policy tweet about transgender people not being allowed serve in the military [reference to Don's tweets being official presidential announcements] that the chairman of the JCS doesn't recognize that tweet as being official.

The military looked at his hysterical tweet and said Wtf?

More and more its being understood now that he's not really making any sense most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Fox reporting that Scaramucci says that he was talking tough about Rience, that they are like brothers - Cain and Abel, that Rience can explain about his "leaking" and that it was up to the President now. So he's reportedly dumped the row in the President's lap to sort out.

Remind me how that one ended again...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I admit I laughed

“I’m not Steve Bannon, I’m not trying to suck my own cock,”

Sarah Huckabee seems to be keeping her head answering the media questions, while all around her are losing theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

InTheTrees wrote: »

The military looked at his hysterical tweet and said Wtf?

More and more its being understood now that he's not really making any sense most of the time.
    That's been highly reassuring to see, considering it's not "not entirely impossible" and is actually more than 50% likely in my opinion that as the walls continue to close in on him, Trump and Putin is going to be looking very, very hard at how to attempt a military dictatorship. They've basically told him to go f*** himself and that they don't take their own CICs in any way seriously.

It also would be interesting to know Mathis' role in this is, can't say I could see him being behind Trump and Putins attempt to ban lgbt people (strikes me more as a "good soldier is a good soldier is a good soldier" type having read up on him a bit). Begs the question that if Trump and Putin tried to declare "we're going to war tomorrow" and Mathis just turned around and said "no we're not" how would the military react to this, and to his inevitable firing in an effort by Trump and Putin to force through a war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The tweet regarding the transgenders I think is just another example of Trump saying stuff to appeal to certain groups, basically he has pissed off elements of his base the right wing Christian conservatives with how he is going after Sessions. To appease them he is spouting **** they would agree with, support and cheer for.

Does it matter if it could even be done? Course not, hell its better if it couldn't as he can use it as an example of him trying to do "the right thing for America" and those pesky liberals/msm cartel/justice department losers won't stop obstructing him.

Just more smoke and mirrors.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,883 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The tweet regarding the transgenders I think is just another example of Trump saying stuff to appeal to certain groups, basically he has pissed off elements of his base the right wing Christian conservatives with how he is going after Sessions. To appease them he is spouting **** they would agree with, support and cheer for.

Does it matter if it could even be done? Course not, hell its better if it couldn't as he can use it as an example of him trying to do "the right thing for America" and those pesky liberals/msm cartel/justice department losers won't stop obstructing him.

Just more smoke and mirrors.
    It's deflection. He's trying to draw attention to himself. Classic Narcissistic Personality Disorder behavior. Can't have anyone eclipsing his sun. And, with all the attention on the Senate and arch-rival McCain's dramatic appearance and speech, Trump had to do something to draw attention to himself. He doesn't care what, he cares nothing about anyone outside himself and possibly his immediate family, though let's wait and see what transpires viz. Russia and his sons and son-in-law for whether Trump cares about them.

I don't believe the tGOP party put Trump up to this, at exactly this time, to deflect from the Senate. I don't believe they're that terribly clever.

Recently there was some kerfuffle about the American Psychiatric Association relaxing the so-called Goldwater rule disallowing it's members from diagnosing anyone they've not personally evaluated. The rumor was that the APA has finally relaxed that rule, when it comes to Trump. They have NOT. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brainstorm/201707/misreport-spreads-psychiatrists-may-now-diagnose-trump
    But, personally (and I'm just an old software developer,) Trump sure seems like classic NPD to me, having relatives who HAVE been diagnosed with it by competent psychiatrists.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Scaramucci...when you think things can't get any worse, they do. The White House is the biggest soap opera on the planet, at least they are too busy fighting each other to bother fighting anyone else.
    I have not watched House of Cards, but it can't be more dramatic than the Trump White House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

And McCain has voted against the latest health care reform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,721 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Calina wrote: »
    And McCain has voted against the latest health care reform.
    . . . as a result of which it has failed to pass.

And calling it a "reform" is generous. It would have been a partial repeal. It wouldn't have changed, improved, fixed, corrected or replaced any part of the Affordable Care Act. It would just have repealed and not replaced selected parts of it.

So, having been committed for years to repeal and replace the ACA, the Republican party, controlling the White House, the Senate and the House of Representatives, has now failed in turn (a) to repeal and replace the ACA, (b) simply to repeal the ACA and (c) to repeal selected parts of the ACA.

How long does this farce have to continue before the Republicans admit that they never had a coherent plan to do anything but whinge about healthcare and that, for all the deficiencies of the current system, doing anything about it is utterly beyond them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The issue is that providing healthcare is not at the centre of their objective. It is hard to write a healthcare bill when the objective of the bill is tax cuts and not providing healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Peregrinus wrote: »
    How long does this farce have to continue before the Republicans admit that they never had a coherent plan to do anything but whinge about healthcare and that, for all the deficiencies of the current system, doing anything about it is utterly beyond them?

They're learning just how hard it is to roll back provisions like healthcare. Another utter failure to pass the most useless, watered down piece of legislation must surely put this to bed for the foreseeable future. At the start of thr presidency, Trump had 6 months to push his agenda. After that the Reps are in full blown campaign mode. I can't see way for them to resurrect this bill unless the Reps make gains in next year's mid-terms (and the Dems aren't filling me with confidence here).

All in all, pretty crappy week for Trump. If he really wants to make his life interesting, he'll veto the Russia sanctions and fire Sessions...

Oh and the real kicker: it was none other than Trump's favourite non-hero John McCain who sunk it, even after Pence spent 20 minutes working him on the Senate floor in a vain attempt to coax a yes from him.

Also, Trump hasn't tweeted yet which I assume means he's asleep. Someone should keep him.away from the TV when he wakes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Fair play to McCain. I was cynical tgat he would carry through on his threat to bote no but he proved me wrong.

Absolute disaster 6 months for Trump. Only neagative outcomes and so far his only legacy will be the reducing standards.

There can't be a single voter than can be satisfied with what he has achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

jooksavage wrote: »
    Also, Trump hasn't tweeted yet which I assume means he's asleep. Someone should keep him.away from the TV when he wakes up.

It's going to be hilarious.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Fair play to McCain. I was cynical tgat he would carry through on his threat to bote no but he proved me wrong.

Absolute disaster 6 months for Trump. Only neagative outcomes and so far his only legacy will be the reducing standards.

Ultimately that's what will turn the tide against him. The media, and Trump himself, are preoccupied with the Russia investigation, and when the history books are written that will probably be the thing for which the administration is best remembered. Ultimately though it's the constant day to day chaos and his lack of engagement with his legislative branch that is filtering down and impacting the lives of his voters.

Trump is making the case for all parties, going forward, why celebrity non-politicians don't make good presidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/890820505330212864

Wow! Basically **** those with healthcare before putting another scheme in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Leroy42 wrote: »

For Trump and his supporters this is a scary poll http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_jul27

Rasmussen is a Republican leaning poll, High point 59% favourable on the 26th January and going down since then to the lowest they have recorded 27th July, 41% that is 18% lost in 6 months and it has been going one way.

The Interesting thing is http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/gallup-daily-trump-job-approval.aspx on the 26th January they had Trump at 45% more than 14% less than Rasmussen but on the 26th of this month they have him at 39% that is only 2% difference from Rasmussen. Any Trump supporter should be worried the magic figure will be less than 30% then we are in Nixon numbers, he was in mid 20's when he went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,721 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

everlast75 wrote: »
    Wow! Basically **** those with healthcare before putting another scheme in place?
    No, no, no. The official policy is "**** those with healthcare, because that way voters will put pressure on politicians to put in place the 'terrific' scheme covering everyone at a lower cost that Trump promised, but is not to blame for not delivering because oh look at that really interesting thing over there".

The actual policy is "**** those with healthcare and let them die in the gutter like the losers they are".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

Peregrinus wrote: »
    No, no, no. The official policy is "**** those with healthcare, because that way voters will put pressure on politicians to put in place the 'terrific' scheme covering everyone at a lower cost that Trump promised, but is not to blame for not delivering because oh look at that really interesting thing over there".

The actual policy is "**** those with healthcare and let them die in the gutter like the losers they are".

^This.

I've heard this from quite a few Americans - why should I pay for your health insurance? There are plenty of Americans who are willing to let other Americans die because they can't afford healthcare, because they feel it's one's own personal responsibility to earn enough to afford it. The GOP know this and are assuming that repealing Obamacare would be supported by the people who can afford to pay for healthcare right now.

Americans might speak (almost) the same language as us, but they live in a very different world with very different values.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Sarah Huckabee seems to be keeping her head answering the media questions, while all around her are losing theirs.

The thing is though...she is not answering the questions she is asked.

She is replying to them but there is rarely an answer in those replies!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

swampgas wrote: »
    ^This.

I've heard this from quite a few Americans - why should I pay for your health insurance? There are plenty of Americans who are willing to let other Americans die because they can't afford healthcare, because they feel it's one's own personal responsibility to earn enough to afford it. The GOP know this and are assuming that repealing Obamacare would be supported by the people who can afford to pay for healthcare right now.

Americans might speak (almost) the same language as us, but they live in a very different world with very different values.

You just have to look at the kids who watched the guy drown recently to understand the condition of the States... That's one expample, but a graphic indicator of their social system.

The defeat on healthcare is just the latest piece of bother in 24 hours. The senate, with overwhelming bipartisan support, have painted him into a corner by passing a bill that imposes additional sanctions on Russia. I'm interested to see how this will play out. The logical thing would to sign off on it and say "Look how tough I am on Russia!" but it has been put out there that he might veto it. If he does, I think that would immeasurably damage his relationship with the Republicans. Perhaps more so even than dismissing Sessions, who is apparently dead to him and might be replaced shortly via recess appointment.

The White House couldn't look more anarchic if Trump & co. conducted a toga party on the lawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

jooksavage wrote: »
    The defeat on healthcare is just the latest piece of bother in 24 hours. The senate, with overwhelming bipartisan support, have painted him into a corner by passing a bill that imposes additional sanctions on Russia. I'm interested to see how this will play out. The logical thing would to sign off on it and say "Look how tough I am on Russia!" but it has been put out there that he might veto it. If he does, I think that would immeasurably damage his relationship with the Republicans. Perhaps more so even than dismissing Sessions, who is apparently dead to him and might be replaced shortly via recess appointment.
    In order to recess, the Senate needs to pass an adjournment resolution. The Dems have said that they'll filibuster it, so there's actually no way for Trump to make any appointments.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement