Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I'm very surprised that these lads who got shafted by trump etc don't sing like a canary. But you had Spicer come out after he got fired and had a full throated defence of Trump....i don't get it. If I got fired from a job from a lunatic unfairly I would be singing from the trees. But you can bet priebus will be saying it was a pleasure to serve his lordship etc etc....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,914 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

recedite wrote:
    Kelly and Bannon should work well together. Two good Irish Americans with a military background.

Perfect for nk invasion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

aloyisious wrote: »
    Plus a message to everyone that Don has Scaramucci's back.

Mooch's wife filed for divorce today, maybe his repeated declarations of love for El President influenced her decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Scara chooses Trump over wife, surely that loyalty has to be rewarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The way things are going at the White House the christmas party free bar won't last long. It must be toxic in there and that should be a worry to the American people of all political persuasions that the White House is in such a shambles.

• Advertisement

Is Trump going to stay in the WH for the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The way things are going at the White House the christmas party free bar won't last long. It must be toxic in there and that should be a worry to the American people of all political persuasions that the White House is in such a shambles.

You wouldn't want to let Bannon anywhere near a free bar, national debt would have increased exponentially afterwards

blackcard wrote: »
    Trump in a speech to law enforcement officials in Long Island today saying that it is ok to rough up suspects and he has got their back. Crazier and Crazier.

I hope some White House reporter asks Sarah huckabee sanders about the president not enciting violence as she claimed previously he never did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Anyone know how the American economy and the Wall is going?.There is a big country outside of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Anyone know how the American economy and the Wall is going?.There is a big country outside of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

According to Jim Richards, economy isn't doing great, and the actions of the Fed not helping matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Perfect for nk invasion!
    The USD dollar is now worth €0.8511 in Euro, having been worth €0.9623 just a few weeks before Trump took office - an 11c drop in six months is pretty dramatic. It has also lost 6c on the 'strong and stable' post Article 50/election fiasco GBP. This picture really says it all.

pjimage.jpg

Billy86 wrote:
    The USD dollar is now worth €0.8511 in Euro, having been worth €0.9623 just a few weeks before Trump took office - an 11c drop in six months is pretty dramatic. It has also lost 6c on the 'strong and stable' post Article 50/election fiasco GBP. This picture really says it all.

That doesn't look good at all, according to rickards, the Fed is raising rates into weakness and may actually cause a recession. He also believes they're heading for war with nk next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Billy86 wrote: »

pjimage.jpg

Yes it does,as the lunacy continues in the White House.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate - surely the weakening of the dollar would make US exports more competitive, and foreign imports less so?

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate - surely the weakening of the dollar would make US exports more competitive, and foreign imports less so?

Yup, sounds plausible to me, rickards believes we're just about to experience a trade war

You wouldn't want to let Bannon anywhere near a free bar, national debt would have increased exponentially afterwards
    Oh please let Steve bannon go on the ran tan at a free bar and someone film it. I'd love it if he stuck the head into mooch. Wolf blitzer wouldn't leave CNN for days. Oh please let this happen.

Wolf has got Priebus for an interview, in a few minutes.

There literally does not seem to be one thing that this guy does each week that does not make an ass of himself based off something he has previously said.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/156829591267328000

Billy86 wrote:
    There literally does not seem to be one thing that this guy does each week that does not make an ass of himself based off something he has previously said.

Shur he's as thick as ****e

Water John wrote: »
    Wolf has got Priebus for an interview, in a few minutes.
    Really ? I taught Fox News had first dibs on fired trump admin staff ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Oh please let Steve bannon go on the ran tan at a free bar and someone film it. I'd love it if he stuck the head into mooch. Wolf blitzer wouldn't leave CNN for days. Oh please let this happen.

Anyone actually think that Bannon will still be there at Christmas? Getting the feeling that Trump is creating a toxic environment where only family and the most sycophantic yes men will be able to hang on. Would wonder how Kelly fits into this - as a former General, you would imagine he is his own man, used to structure and clear lines of responsibility - Trump's habit of governing by twitter and daily brain farts may test his will to stay.

In fact, just thinking that how Trump continues to use Twitter may be an effective indicator of how much influence Kelly has as Chief of Staff - can he get Trump to put it down?

Just think that the way he threw Sessions under the bus in such a public way, deriding the loyalty of his most loyal endorser, will make it very difficult for Trump to build an effective team around him.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ugh

Priebus interview such a let done

Right up trumps hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Headshot wrote: »
    ugh

Right up trumps hole

He probably doesn't have much to gain from saying anything negative and it won't do him any harm not stooping to the level of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

recedite wrote: »
    Kelly and Bannon should work well together. Two good Irish Americans with a military background.

At this point, titanic and deckchairs come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Thinking about the replacing of Priebus for a while got me asking why Priebus and Kelly were on AF1 with Don, and if Scaramucci was there. I assume he wasn't. I got to thinking it was a done deal before then that Kelly was in and Priebus out, and that was why they were on AF1 together.

With CNN reporting that Priebus was out from Thursday and keeping his silence, it almost confirms that. I reckon that the only thing that'll ruin the Don/Kelly deal is Don. Scaramucci may be able to locker-room shout and swear but Kelly ain't a mannequin and will give S a cold enough vibe to shut him up. I reckon that if he opens his mouth to badmouth Kelly, Kelly will show Scaramucci who the wimp is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

How long before a eric the White House decorator is chief of staff? I mean at this rate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Sounds like Don is going to sign the new sanctions bill against Russia, Iran and North Korea, according to RTE. Following on from yesterday act by Russia taking action against the US diplomats there, plus seizure of US property in advance of the bill being signed, is the reciprocative action Russia threatened last week if the US didn't return/re-open the Russian Govt properties in the US. Not sure if the action is an attempt to bully Don into being a compliant child or a provocation which Don is likely to react to in writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Scara chooses Trump over wife, surely that loyalty has to be rewarded.
    A man can only have one master. All hail The Donald.

• Advertisement

aloyisious wrote: »
    Sounds like Don is going to sign the new sanctions bill against Russia, Iran and North Korea, according to RTE. Following on from yesterday act by Russia taking action against the US diplomats there, plus seizure of US property in advance of the bill being signed, is the reciprocative action Russia threatened last week if the US didn't return/re-open the Russian Govt properties in the US. Not sure if the action is an attempt to bully Don into being a compliant child or a provocation which Don is likely to react to in writing.
    There was no way Trump could veto that bill, given all the Russia innuendo that CNN etc have stoked up since his inauguration. Even without all that innuendo, a US president would need to have a very good reason to veto congress.
    Putin's timing is good. It shows he was reacting to the decision by congress, and not to Trump. Putin is well aware that Trump has little or no wriggle room on this issue (at the moment) for reasons of domestic politics.

At some time in the future, the facilities and staff of both embassies could be restored, but it would have to be a reciprocal arrangement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

recedite wrote: »
    There was no way Trump could veto that bill, given all the Russia innuendo that CNN etc have stoked up since his inauguration. Even without all that innuendo, a US president would need to have a very good reason to veto congress.
    Putin's timing is good. It shows he was reacting to the decision by congress, and not to Trump. Putin is well aware that Trump has little or no wriggle room on this issue (at the moment) for reasons of domestic politics.

At some time in the future, the facilities and staff of both embassies could be restored, but it would have to be a reciprocal arrangement.
    You're right, it's CNN's fault that people think he's compromised on Russia. The invented the issue whole cloth.
    Let us not lose sight of who is really at fault here, a free press doing its job.

You're right, it's CNN's fault that people think he's compromised on Russia. They invented the issue whole cloth.
    a free partisan press doing its job.
    FYP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Ipse dixit

Headshot wrote: »
    ugh

Right up trumps hole

Don't worry my friend. Just pick up a copy of The Guardian or the WaPo to get your daily fill of Trump scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You're right, it's CNN's fault that people think he's compromised on Russia. The invented the issue whole cloth.
    Let us not lose sight of who is really at fault here, a free press doing its job.

Just another reason why Trump lusts after strongmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

recedite wrote:
    FYP

At least Fox is balanced and non partisan :pac:

• Advertisement

If only instead of covering the biggest political scandal in decades whereby the Trump administration has already admitted guilt in trying to collude with a hostile foreign entity, or if only instead of covering perhaps the biggest ongoing political story of the last decade in healthcare and the abject failures of the party so firmly against it all this time, or if only instead of covering the most ineffectual limp noodle of a president the US has probably ever seen having near-daily child like temper tantrums and firings over his own insecurities as army generals and police officials laugh at him... if only instead of that if they would cover other things, like the US dollar collapsing underneath their own feet under the Republicans who hold more power than any party in close to a century.

The fact is the media are reporting what is there, and there is basically nothing good to report.

everlast75 wrote: »

Police departments such as Long Island and the Chiefs of Police Association have already come out to rebuke that. Just like the army did with the LGBT thing a few days back.

Trump and Putin doesn't even have respect of his own army or law enforcement officials (I wonder why...), he's a lame duck six months in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Ipse dixit

Billy86 wrote: »
    If only instead of covering the biggest political scandal in decades whereby the Trump administration has already admitted guilt in trying to collude with a hostile foreign entity, or if only instead of covering perhaps the biggest ongoing political story of the last decade in healthcare and the abject failures of the party so firmly against it all this time, or if only instead of covering the most ineffectual limp noodle of a president the US has probably ever seen having near-daily child like temper tantrums and firings over his own insecurities as army generals and police officials laugh at him... if only instead of that if they would cover other things, like the US dollar collapsing underneath their own feet under the Republicans who hold more power than any party in close to a century.

The fact is the media are reporting what is there, and there is basically nothing good to report.

Modern journalism is about catering to a specific audience, not about reporting the most relevant or pressing issue. In the age where the media have to play the click bait game in order to keep the lights on; I wouldn't be using the media as the shining light of observation on Trump's presidency or US politics

The problem is that people like you stick their finger in their ears and buy into whatever story is being run by the media. When Donald Trump tried to influence Comey it was a national scandal but when Loretta Lynch actually influenced Comey then that's not worth talking about at all.

If these are the standards you want to set for your opposition but can't uphold those standards yourself then you just become a complete mockery. Its sad that we live in a era where so many are devoid of basic critical thought.

Ipse dixit wrote: »
    Modern journalism is about catering to a specific audience, not about reporting the most relevant or pressing issue.
    Colluding with a foreign, hostile entity to influence an election is the most pressing political issue the US has faced in possibly decades. The medical coverage of millions of Americans and projected deaths of tens of thousands is perhaps the most pressing social issue the US has faced in decades. There is a very, very clear and obvious reason why the media are covering these - they are the most relevant and pressing issues.

And as mentioned, the current administration are not even capable of creating any softball fluffy bunnies to talk about, instead using the daily messaging machine to try to claim transgender people are banned from the military, police can use violence against suspects as they wish, and leakers need to be "f***ing killed". Then they and their fans wonder why the coverage is so negative.
    In the age where the media have to play the click bait game in order to keep the lights on; I wouldn't be using the media as the shining light of observation on Trump's presidency or US politics
    Yet I'm not seeing you give examples or reasons as to why they are wrong about covering Russian collusion, healthcare, etc... just complaints that they are covering it whatsoever.
    The problem is that people like you stick their finger in their ears and buy into whatever story is being run by the media. When Donald Trump tried to influence Comey it was a national scandal but when Loretta Lynch actually influenced Comey then that's not worth talking about at all.
    That story got talked about a hell of a lot. To be honest, you just sound a bit upset we're not talking about "But Hillary!" here. People keep getting invited to make a thread about her, yet I don't believe after all this time that anyone has bothered to... funny that.
    If these are the standards you want to set for your opposition but can't uphold those standards yourself then you just become a complete mockery. Its sad that we live in a era where so many are devoid of basic critical thought.
    I've laid this clear to you yesterday on health care, with a detailed example yet you never got back to me on it, "oh they're just as bad!" despite all the evidence to the contrary is exactly what you are decrying, a complete lack of critical thought.

Some poster was on yesterday, asking about the fact, that trans people were not allowed in the Irish Army. Well here is the official response;

"[We] welcome applications from all members of Irish society, irrespective of sexual orientation or gender.

https://www.buzz.ie/news/irish-defence-forces-brilliant-response-trumps-transgender-military-ban-247711

"The Government believes that the Defence Forces should reflect the richness and diversity of the community it serves. To that end, the Defence Forces are committed to the principle of equal opportunity in all of its employment policies, procedures, instructions and regulations."

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has also responded to Trump's transgender ban, saying he would never introduce a similar ban on transgender people serving in the Irish Defence Forces.

• Advertisement

Donald has very few tricks left. So when will he start world war 3? And who's up first? North Korea?

Oddly enough, it's the Generals he's taking on, won't make a foolish step.

Oddly enough, it's the Generals he's taking on, won't make a foolish step.

Well they serve and follow his commands. But would they speak against it?
    And can he fire them if they do? I'm sure he thinks he can.

Imagining a coup situation now. With Donald tweetfreaking and calling the generals all sorts for not following orders.

Cos that's exactly how he would react in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

Ipse dixit wrote: »
    Modern journalism is about catering to a specific audience, not about reporting the most relevant or pressing issue. In the age where the media have to play the click bait game in order to keep the lights on; I wouldn't be using the media as the shining light of observation on Trump's presidency or US politics

The look over here defense? A: you are assuming no one here had an issue with both. It is possible given that this is not the place to discuss the Loretta Lynch incident. This is the place to discuss Trump (see thread title please).

B: Trump is the one currently in power.

Do you believe that the president of the United States should get away Scott free for attempting to influence an investigation into his team? Do you think his team should get away with attempting to collude with a foreign government and repeatedly lie about it?

You keep blaming the media but maybe, just maybe it might be the fault of the people doing all the stupid stuff like getting rid of people's healthcare for tax cuts, defrauding the American public (Trump U admitted guilt in December), attempting to collude with a foreign government for sensitive information (and presumably using their power for said government) has also been admitted. We have the turmoil in his office with all the resignations and infighting (see mooch's recent statements), we have that he has yet to show any sort of understanding of the various he bills he has signed in. We have that despite that all sections of government are controlled by the Republicans and they still can't pass a major piece of legislation in spite of repeated attempts.

So tell me which of the above facts are "just the media".

This is the issue at hand but the grand defense we have and the only one we have ever had is that they should be entirely ignored because not everyone is perfect kindly ignoring just how many extremes worse Trump and the GOP is.

I mean really, try and find a Trump friendly post that was not either a vague statement of worship or deflection.

He won't like this
    And I'm afraid of the reaction already

https://twitter.com/katrinanation/status/891336851801374721

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've been accused of being pro-Trump because I've criticised the media for being so against him from the very start.

I've been accused if being pro-Trump even after I explain that I'd prefer that he sees out his full term because I believe that things would be way worse if Pence was president.

The attitude of those who are vociferously anti-Trump reminds me of a lot of those who were supporting gay marriage in this country. They attack anybody who dares to even think about the other side.
    It's quite scary because a lot of the full-on Trump supporters are bible thumpers, anti-gay or racist.
    We could be heading for clashes​ in the street as those groups grow further apart and the hatred grows.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've been accused of being pro-Trump because I've criticised the media for being so against him from the very start.

I've been accused if being pro-Trump even after I explain that I'd prefer that he sees out his full term because I believe that things would be way worse if Pence was president.

The attitude of those who are vociferously anti-Trump reminds me of a lot of those who were supporting gay marriage in this country. They attack anybody who dares to even think about the other side.
    It's quite scary because a lot of the full-on Trump supporters are bible thumpers, anti-gay or racist.
    We could be heading for clashes​ in the street as those groups grow further apart and the hatred grows.

It's quite scary the way trump supporters seem to have the same victim complex and narcissism that he does. Water finds its own level maybe. But try address the facts. Not apply the endless crap storm he creates and ensuing criticism as an attack on you personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

No sympathy here. You wanted this. You got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Trump supporters own and are responsible for what happens.
    Cartoon by Tom Tomorrow.

DFwE0CXXkAAOrIM.jpg:large

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement