Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That cartoon pretty much sums it up. All along Trump and Putin fans were being told they were being sold a con by a career con artist, that the guy had no idea what he was doing and would be utterly useless at the job, that he has a history of being lazy, fickle, terrible with details and of screwing over the little guy he claimed to be standing up for. Over and over this was pointed out and has been since, and the Trump and Putin fans' standard reaction has been "you want to see stupid? Well I'll show you stupid!!", leading us to exactly where we are today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

@eagle eye: My position of opposing Don has been the same from day 1 of his campaign. He was then, and still is now, a person unfit and incapable for the office and it's tasks.

The Trump admin, VP and all, spring from the free choice of the GOP voters. I don't know about hate on the streets, apart from the way Don has been exhorting his supporters toward acts of violence against his political opponents.

I don't recall any of the other candidates telling people "I'd like to punch him in the face" referring to an opposition supporter at any of their rallies, or similar displays of offering violence towards opponents supporters.

IMO, any feelings of dislike shown here or elsewhere towards Don are down to his boorish behaviour and acts. He has succeeded in radicalizing the average voter on both sides of the US political scene.

BTW, I agree with your opinion that Pence would be an even worse holder of the office for the US than Don.

Possibly the first candidate for the Dems in 2020 election campaign, three calendar years away but in electoral campaign terms, 6-9 months away. http://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/who-is-john-delaney-meet-trumps-first-2020-opponent-35980616.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Ipse dixit

aloyisious wrote: »
    Possibly the first candidate for the Dems in 2020 election campaign, three calendar years away but in electoral campaign terms, 6-9 months away. http://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/who-is-john-delaney-meet-trumps-first-2020-opponent-35980616.html

His article in the Washington Post is quite impressive. I'd add a link but it's quite awkward on the touch site.

Ipse dixit wrote: »
    His article in the Washington Post is quite impressive. I'd add a link but it's quite awkward on the touch site.

WP doesn't like me, LOL. I keep freeloading from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

aloyisious wrote: »

John Delany will be a busy man. We can add running for POTUS to head of the FAI and Olympic council of Ireland.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/6q8wm1/i_know_trump_loves_wrestling_gifs_so_i_made_one/

Trying to post a gif from reddit it's quite funny considering trump started all these wrassling gifs anyway so it's relevant. Don't know if it's going to embed or not..

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

JRant wrote: »
    John Delany will be a busy man. We can add running for POTUS to head of the FAI and Olympic council of Ireland.

:D.... similar and probably a chip off the auld block - https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiF7NHsv6_VAhVsJcAKHZtNDDwQFgglMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FJohn_Delaney_(Maryland_politician)&usg=AFQjCNEebKoOsKpHotvGdtN9Sa91PeZKAg

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Anyone who still defends Trump, despite all he has said and done is clearly a Trump supporter and someone that will never compromise with the Democrats no matter what, but they still criticise the Democrats for not doing something the Republicans refused to do for 8 years under Obama. Secondly, Hilary is no longer in the picture and even if she was, there's no comparison, Trump is a terrible person and always was and his mantra of MAGA is a lie, he's only in it to help himself and screw anyone who gets in his way. He's never cared about anyone but himself, and anyone who really thinks he wants to help the country, is seriously deluded. There's not one ounce of patriotism in Trump, it's all a con. The emperor is stark naked and there's a lot of stupid Republicans bragging about his beautiful garments. Yes, there is fake news out there, but it clearly isn't CNN and the Washington Post, it's the Facebook news feeds of stupid people who still think Hillary and Bill ran a peadophile ring out of the basement of a Pizza parlour that doesn't even have a basement. The Russian collusion thing is real, we don't yet know how far it went, but it's not fake news and no one should beleive habitual liars like Trump, his son and son-in-law.

The only good karma I can hope for is, when they eventually get to the bottom of the Russian collusion and Trump gets arrested, the cop who puts the handcuffed Trump in to the back of the squad car, lets Trump bang his head on the roof of the car!

• Advertisement

SeamusFX wrote: »

The only good karma I can hope for is, when they eventually get to the bottom of the Russian collusion and Trump gets arrested, the cop who puts the handcuffed Trump in to the back of the squad car, lets Trump bang his head on the roof of the car!

There will be no good karma with Trump :( at the end of this. I am bracing myself for this.....There will be no perp walk, no Trump in handcuffs or any of his family or his inner circle. He will slink off into the night after loosing by a landslide in the next GE but claiming he was shafted it was a conspiracy by the MSM, the gov, hell anybody he can think of. He will have his fanatical followers until his dying day who will boost his ego and that is what he feeds off so he will still be in the news etc.

Logic, reason, civility, manners, political norms, common decency are all gone. Look at what he has gotten away with so far! Any normal politician would be looooong gone at this stage, the thing is and I'm serious here......he has mental issues.

Now think of any person you know who has mental issues? You give them a lot of slack, don't you? They might say things inappropriate, do things that's a "normal" person wouldn't do but you don't really pull them up on it! This is Trump

The GOP etc are his immediate family as such they know he has mental issues but they're family and don't think it's such a big deal, they think they can help him solve his mental illness. The rest of us are whoa...wtf

Now I have a friend with serious mental issues so I have seen it from their family it had to get really bad before they jumped in. Obama etc knew this they knew he is mentality unfit for the job. Bloody hell he even said it.

Anyway things will have to get really bad before the GOP will have an "intervention" and even then they will try and protect him because he is "family"

Who knows I've been wrong for the last year with this egomaniac.....

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    There will be no good karma with Trump :( at the end of this. I am bracing myself for this.....There will be no perp walk, no Trump in handcuffs or any of his family or his inner circle. He will slink off into the night after loosing by a landslide in the next GE but claiming he was shafted it was a conspiracy by the MSM, the gov, hell anybody he can think of. He will have his fanatical followers until his dying day who will boost his ego and that is what he feeds off so he will still be in the news etc.

Logic, reason, civility, manners, political norms, common decency are all gone. Look at what he has gotten away with so far! Any normal politician would be looooong gone at this stage, the thing is and I'm serious here......he has mental issues.

Now think of any person you know who has mental issues? You give them a lot of slack, don't you? They might say things inappropriate, do things that's a "normal" person wouldn't do but you don't really pull them up on it! This is Trump

The GOP etc are his immediate family as such they know he has mental issues but they're family and don't think it's such a big deal, they think they can help him solve his mental illness. The rest of us are whoa...wtf

Now I have a friend with serious mental issues so I have seen it from their family it had to get really bad before they jumped in. Obama etc knew this they knew he is mentality unfit for the job. Bloody hell he even said it.

Anyway things will have to get really bad before the GOP will have an "intervention" and even then they will try and protect him because he is "family"

The GOP will continue to protect him as long as they can, but not because he's family, but because he helps their agenda. No matter how crazy he gets, if can continue to help their agenda they will support him and ignore all craziness.

The GOP will continue to protect him as long as they can, but not because he's family, but because he helps their agenda. No matter how crazy he gets, if can continue to help their agenda they will support him and ignore all craziness.

No I'm going to have to call you on this, he is NOT helping their agenda...what exactly did he do to get the obamacare repeal bill passed.....nothing......apart from launch a few smart assed tweets.

Obama back in the day rocked up to the GOP annual shindig to get them on board for health care. It's like Enda turning up to the Finnia Fail Ard Fheis and making a speech., yes Obama went into the lions den trying to get the GOP to support healthcare. Did it work, No but at least he tried. What does Trump do to get bill passed **** ALL, SITS ON HIS HOLE TWEETING

Re the ACA, healthcare funding, the poor and the Senate, Don's had a bellyful. The NYT has this piece on it's online page BUT as I'm not an NYT subscriber I didn't bother trying to copy & post an unworkable link. I looked elsewhere looking for a confirmation of the report, [link below]......

G.O.P. Senators ‘Look Like Fools,’ President Says..... By MAGGIE HABERMAN 7:36 PM ET [NYT story]
    Mr. Trump took to Twitter on Saturday to scold Congress after Republicans failed to repeal the Affordable Care Act. He also criticized Senate filibuster rules and threatened to cut lawmakers’ health insurance.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjUj73cmLDVAhUlKcAKHXszCFEQFgguMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slate.com%2Fblogs%2Fthe_slatest%2F2017%2F07%2F29%2Ftrump_threatens_to_cut_health_care_subsidies_for_poor_and_lawmakers.html&usg=AFQjCNHtsXGSPcW1HqeijTjk0uWz5GsJLw

Election promises [and MAGA] from 2015...... https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjUj73cmLDVAhUlKcAKHXszCFEQFgg0MAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vox.com%2Fpolicy-and-politics%2F2017%2F6%2F23%2F15862312%2Ftrump-medicaid-promise&usg=AFQjCNHUZymxcK4Lrd1sC6or9YjPh_InAQ

No I'm going to have to call you on this, he is NOT helping their agenda...what exactly did he do to get the obamacare repeal bill passed.....nothing......apart from launch a few smart assed tweets.

Obama back in the day rocked up to the GOP annual shindig to get them on board for health care. It's like Enda turning up to the Finnia Fail Ard Fheis and making a speech., yes Obama went into the lions den trying to get the GOP to support healthcare. Did it work, No but at least he tried. What does Trump do to get bill passed **** ALL, SITS ON HIS HOLE TWEETING

Well he has given them a conservative SCOTUS, many appointments they like and several executive orders to reduce regulations in banking and finance and the environment including the revival of the Dakota and Keystone pipelines, offshore drilling and climate change, he has caused a considerable amount of damage without passing any significant bills. That being said, if he was smart and not a psycho, he could have done so much more damage and yes I'm sure many in the GOP resent him and realize the emperor is stark naked, but I don't think they are ready to give up on him yet, as their mouths are still watering for promised tax cuts for the rich and further bills to destroy the environment, reduce and eliminate further regulations and privatise the infrastructure and anything else, all for the benifit of the rich and corporate America. The GOP still see him as their saviour, since many had assumed Hillary would win by a landslide and possibly take the Senate as well. If his behaviour continues, which will most certainly happen, they will eventually have to admit the emperor is stark naked and start impeachment process, but they will have to do it without upsetting hus lunatic base which is about 33% of the country. The rest of the GOP needs this lunatic base and they know they have to tread carefully. These nuts believe Trump can do no wrong and they see any evidence against Trump as fake news, yet they believe plenty of fake news that supports Trump and their own agenda. It's very scary that a minority group of crazy and truly uninformed people can yield such power, but that's the situation we're in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If his behaviour continues, which will most certainly happen, they will eventually have to admit the emperor is stark naked and start impeachment process, but they will have to do it without upsetting hus lunatic base which is about 33% of the country. The rest of the GOP needs this lunatic base and they know they have to tread carefully. These nuts believe Trump can do no wrong and they see any evidence against Trump as fake news, yet they believe plenty of fake news that supports Trump and their own agenda. It's very scary that a minority group of crazy and truly uninformed people can yield such power, but that's the situation we're in.

But if he is impeached successfully, and later charged with felonies, like treason, financial crimes, colluding with an enemy - or whatever- and jailed for a long time, along with his son and son-in-law, then his base will suddenly start saying they knew this all the time and of course he was the source of all the lies and fake news and they will not be fooled again by such a con-artist and thank God the Republican Party saw through him and got rid of him. Thank God we have President Pence now to sort out the mess. We need to increase the number of Republicans in Government to make sure Hillary does not get in.

There are none so blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

When you watch Glenn beck and think "that's a logical argument and it makes sense." It's then you know that trump is a disaster.

To be somewhat fair to Beck, as much of a cancer as he can be and certainly was on Fox, he as best I have seen has never been a fan of Trump and Putin and took some responsibility for the monster he helped create leading to this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I heard an interview with Beck recently on BBC Radio 4 where he seemed to show some contrition for the slant he used to take and the kind of conspiracy theory-based nonsense he used to spout.
    Has he changed tack a bit and become less mental?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Gbear wrote: »
    I heard an interview with Beck recently on BBC Radio 4 where he seemed to show some contrition for the slant he used to take and the kind of conspiracy theory-based nonsense he used to spout.

Was rather confused until I read up a few posts. Beck's songs 'Loser' and 'Asshole' are very apt for this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Was rather confused until I read up a few posts. Beck's songs 'Loser' and 'Asshole' are very apt for this thread.

Along with "f**king with my head"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

And Devils Haircut...

Putin and Trump expels 755 US diplomats a few days after Bill Browder gave an incredibly damning and open testimony against Russia, the sanctions must be having some toll at this point, with the Russian Ruble one of the only notable currencies losing pace on the US dollar in recent months (and plummeting against the likes of the Euro, CAD, CNY, etc) - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/30/world/europe/russia-sanctions-us-diplomats-expelled.html?action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=65640805&pgtype=Homepage&mtrref=www.reddit.com&gwh=487AA3A72E4CD55D9F01917E3109CAA6&gwt=pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Apparently he's on his meds now. You can take this at face value or be cynical and question whether this is just another reinvention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Apparently he's on his meds now. You can take this at face value or be cynical and question whether this is just another reinvention.

Losing all your money power and influence can change someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

He actually puts it down to previous health issues, which was messing up his brain to the point that it was working 'at the lowest 10th percentile', but since he's being getting treatment which is now working:

Since then his views have actually been changing, it's up for debate if it's the actual reason or just a convenient excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

Trump hasn't tweeted in almost 24hours. Is he trying to show gen Kelly that he can be a good boy?

derb12 wrote: »
    Trump hasn't tweeted in almost 24hours. Is he trying to show gen Kelly that he can be a good boy?
    24 hours ? Jaysus wait for the incoming stream of utter insanity from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Silver Lynel

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've been accused of being pro-Trump because I've criticised the media for being so against him from the very start.

I've been accused if being pro-Trump even after I explain that I'd prefer that he sees out his full term because I believe that things would be way worse if Pence was president.

The attitude of those who are vociferously anti-Trump reminds me of a lot of those who were supporting gay marriage in this country. They attack anybody who dares to even think about the other side.
    It's quite scary because a lot of the full-on Trump supporters are bible thumpers, anti-gay or racist.
    We could be heading for clashes​ in the street as those groups grow further apart and the hatred grows.

Did you vote for Trump?

If you did vote for him and are still showing outward support then I think people would have a legitimate complaint against you.

If you didn't actually vote for Trump then I don't see what the problem is. You can say whatever you like.

As far as the gay marriage situation is concerned I think there was an objectively right side. Anyone voting against same sex marriage deserves to be harshly criticized. They were fully prepared to go into a voting booth and deny other people what I would see as a basic human right (the ability to legally marry your partner). Knowing that someone was going to vote "No" would have angered me too, personally.

If you didn't actually go in and vote for Trump then I don't see any problem here.

You are entitled to voice your opinion but I don't think you can expect to be treated well if your opinion is anything other than "Trump is terrible".

People are so wrapped up in this now that there is no way they are going to soften their stance.

Imagine being one of these folks who is posting day after day about Trump. You think they are going to turn round and accept anything other than a 100% anti-Trump message?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

derb12 wrote: »

No, you jinxed it:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/891998881009061888

In other words "here's what I've inherited!" (I get the feeling the usual 'Butobamaists' won't want to 'but Obama' that one) - let's see how long it takes for it to go the way the USD and White House chaos already is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Blowfish, it may be for Beck, similar to all those in prison in the US, who find God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭Patser

Jaysus Trump's favourite Poll - Rasmussen - that he was tweeting out proudly about only a month ago when it said he had 50% approval rating.

The poll that leans heavily conservative and is always highest for approval.

Today....

39%

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/current_events/politics/prez_track_jul31

Hang on - the Wall isn't built yet!? If its secure now, then why is it needed?*

everlast75 wrote: »
    Hang on - the Wall isn't built yet!? If its secure now, then why is it needed?*

Because the US borders are not secure, just like Trump said! Did you not read the Tweet where he clearly said what I want him to have said at any given sentence regardless of what he said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Patser wrote: »
    Jaysus Trump's favourite Poll - Rasmussen - that he was tweeting out proudly about only a month ago when it said he had 50% approval rating.

The poll that leans heavily conservative and is always highest for approval.

Today....

39%

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/current_events/politics/prez_track_jul31

The really surprising thing (to me anyway) is the lack of drop off in the last few months. 3rd April he was at 42%. He went up for a while then back down to his current 39%. How, after April, May, June & July when he achieved the sum total of nothing positive and lots of negative, how does he only lose 3% (so margin of error stuff). Basically he has lost nothing!

The other part of the poll, is that 67% of likely GOP supporters feel that party have lost touch with them and 44% for the Dems. That is a hell of a lot of disenfranchised voters

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The really surprising thing (to me anyway) is the lack of drop off in the last few months....

There's an interesting piece in the New Yorker last week which may go some of the way towards explaining it. They were talking to Trump voters in Colorado, both before and after the election. They expected them to be disillusioned since Trump hasn't managed to achieve much in legislative terms. But it transpired that wasn't really important to people and they still seemed quite enthusiastic about Trump:
    One lawyer said bluntly, “I get a kick in the ass out of him.” The calculus seemed to have shifted: Trump’s negative qualities, which once had been described as a means to an end, now had value of their own. The point wasn’t necessarily to get things done; it was to retaliate against the media and other enemies. This had always seemed fundamental to Trump’s appeal, but people had been less likely to express it so starkly before he entered office. “For those of us who believe that the media has been corrupt for a lot of years, it’s a way of poking at the jellyfish,” Karen Kulp told me in late April. “Just to make them mad.”

It's a natural human thing to not have the humility (at least for quite a while) to admit you backed a loser, is basically the crux of it in my opinion. This is a direct copy-and-paste of a post I came across on reddit earlier that pretty much nails it:
    After Bush, Republican voters signed up for the Tea Party because they thought it gave them an out for the massive failures their Bush Era support made possible. The basic structure of most Right Wing rhetoric is "nothing bad is your fault", so it should not surprise us they showed no contrition or sense of responsibility for those failures. They refused to help clean up their own mess. They got lucky that Barack Obama was elected. He should have been rubbing their noses in the mess they made.

The mania for Bush was just as bad as that for Trump. They too were claiming great, fake victories: "Bush liberated more people than WWII did!" was a popular one around 2004. They had a massive high when Bush landed an airplane on a carrier and announced "Mission Accomplished." But it was anything but mission accomplished...& it was about to get much, much worse. Katrina exposed Bush could not protect us. Abu Graib, torture & renditions showed we weren't too different from Saddam as far as Muslims were concerned ....and the public flipping houses & borrowing money was a party that helped wreck the global economy.

And once Barack Obama was elected & the economy required Big Government solutions, they ran to Sarah Palin and then the Tea Party in order to avoid responsibility & retain their beliefs, beliefs now exposed as bull****.

Trump saw how the Right's core has no logic or integrity & how they actively sought any excuse that absolved them. So he floated different ideas & slogans and kept the good ones. Remember when attacking Bush got a big hit once? Younger crowd. He tried it in a more rural area and it flopped. He never went there again very often, but the fake internet **** started in hard with it since his Cambridge Analytica software allows them to microtarget specific types of voters with different, often conflicting messages. So lots of trash talk about Bush here on Reddit, but none on Fox News. BTW: This new microtargeting of unique, often conflicting messages to different types of voters is going to remain a danger well after Trump is no longer a threat.

Trump knew Bush voters were in denial about their responsibilities. Again, the basic structure of most Right Wing rhetoric is "nothing bad is your fault." Bush's failures were MASSIVE. That's a lot of guilt to avoid....and Trump knew they needed an outsider to make them Born Again (but still believing the same bull****).

Trump and his team targeted those folks, especially the internet folks and outlined a whole new excuse for their Bush era insanity: THE DEEP STATE. Now, their mad support for Iraq & deregulation leading to failure was all a trick by shadowy tricksters fooling them.

This works on the young AltRight voter too. They have to reconcile their hatred for the outcomes of the Bush era with political beliefs that made it possible.

And since there is no actual logic to Right wing media, it's easy for them to both blame the mythical Deep State for lying to them & still blame Hillary. The Deep State should absolve her, since it lied to her in order to get her to vote for the war.

You're right to say "I just don't get it" because of that logical inconsistency... but when you understand that most members of the Right have grown up in a morally deficient and intellectually dishonest framework of "I'm the good guy and all these problems are someone else's fault", it's obvious.

A huge number of Germans did the exact same thing after losing World War 1. After the American Right lost in Iraq & Afghanistan... and they lost on deregulation in the market crashes, we should not be surprised that they too turned to an authoritarian leader.

The failures of the Bush years are a lot to be responsible for....and when you're already that Intellectually & morally deficient as the American Right became during the Bush years, it's not that hard to accept any excuse, however impossible... like a secret pizza parlor sex dungeon... in order to avoid the collective responsibility of the failures of the Bush years.

In 10 years at least 75% of those still supporting Trump will claim they never did (while backing another right wing candidate claiming to be different to him).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The really surprising thing (to me anyway) is the lack of drop off in the last few months.

27% of US voters will back any republican no matter what. Trump could shoot McCain in the head live on television and 27% of voters would cheer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Billy86 wrote: »
    This is a direct copy-and-paste of a post I came across on reddit earlier that pretty much nails it:
    ...The basic structure of most Right Wing rhetoric is "nothing bad is your fault", so it should not surprise us they showed no contrition or sense of responsibility for those failures....

Hold on a second! I thought that was Left Wing rhetoric. At least on this side of the Atlantic. It's all bankers and politicians fault.

Right Wing rhetoric is basically to say it's all in your hands, nobody to help you, if you succeed you get all the spoils, if you fail it's all your fault and you're on your own.

It must really be a headwrecker trying to reconcile conservative republican values with believing stuff isn't your fault.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bill-browders-senate-judiciary-committee-hearing_uk_597ee55ce4b02a4ebb7675a6

A longish read, but worth it: it could cynically explain both the Mooch's meltdown and Trump's out-of-the-blue transgender ban.
    Browder’s testimony, which received relatively little coverage, is extraordinary with a senator calling it one of the Senate Judiciary Committee’s “most important” hearings.

In it he describes a Russian system of government that operates in the shadows using corruption, blackmail, torture and murder - all led by Vladimir Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

oscarBravo wrote: »
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bill-browders-senate-judiciary-committee-hearing_uk_597ee55ce4b02a4ebb7675a6

A longish read, but worth it: it could cynically explain both the Mooch's meltdown and Trump's out-of-the-blue transgender ban.

Great article, well worth a read folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

The really surprising thing (to me anyway) is the lack of drop off in the last few months. 3rd April he was at 42%. He went up for a while then back down to his current 39%. How, after April, May, June & July when he achieved the sum total of nothing positive and lots of negative, how does he only lose 3% (so margin of error stuff). Basically he has lost nothing!

The other part of the poll, is that 67% of likely GOP supporters feel that party have lost touch with them and 44% for the Dems. That is a hell of a lot of disenfranchised voters

That poll on 27th Jan 2017 had Trump at 59% now 6 months later at a historic low of 39% that is 1/3 of his numbers dropped in 6 months or a scary over 3% a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

oscarBravo wrote: »

I watched browder's testimony today and it was quite shocking. I've also watched a bit of RT's reporting on this where they interview poor put-upon veselnetskaya who goes on about how this browder guy is harassing her and her family and the poor craythur is at her wits end. They also give a bit of helpful background to explain the role of Sergei magnitsky who was involved in a corruption scandal and "unfortunately died in custody". All this helpful information is given by slick British reporters in front of big professional screens. It is all very convincing unfortunately.
    One name that comes up again and again (including browder's testimony) is the republican congressman Dana Rohrabacher - He invited veselnetskaya to that congressional hearing where she had a front row seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Scaramucci is out apparently.

The mooch is gone!!!!!

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    The mooch is gone!!!!!

10 days. That's an administration record that will stand. I wonder did general john Kelly put the boot down and demand he go. Or maybe mooch knew he couldn't bully the general like he did others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

27% of US voters will back any republican no matter what. Trump could shoot McCain in the head live on television and 27% of voters would cheer.

27% is about the number of US voters that actually voted for him last November. So in fairness to Americans when your talking about the hard core right wing nutters over there I would say that number is probably closer to 20%.
    A good example of one of the kinds of people your talking about is a guy called Jeff Lord who appears for some unknown reason on CNN a lot and basically is an apologist for the president no matter what. Anderson Cooper the presenter on one occasion obviously could not resist pointing this out and said "if he took a dump on his desk you would defend him"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Mooch is dead, long live the new Mooch :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40782299

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Easy come, easy go

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Poor guy, hopefully he has his family to support him through it... oh wait.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement