Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The guy may be con man, but he is a very poor liar. He is used to getting people on board with his personality, he isn't a details guy. I would say that he very rarely is quizzed too deeply but now he knows that anything he says will be reviewed, dissected and commented on and he is not very good at it.

Look at any of his speeches. He constantly looks behind him as if to see if people agree with him. When he makes a point he either finishes with "Believe me" or he will look around and ask "Right, Right?" He is seeking the approval of those around him.

He's the classic Sales Used Car Salesman..

"I've got a guy coming in this afternoon with a cheque , but if you give me a deposit now it's yours!!"

"You won't find another car like it within 50 miles at this price , the phone has been ringing off the hook with inquiries about it"

All designed to pressurise close the deal , that would fail utterly under even the slightest bit of scrutiny..

As you say , CEO of a family business , has never had to answer to Share-holders or board. Used to being able to say what he wants without ever being called on it..

POTUS is not that, as he is finding out the very hard way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Response to that would be a political , Medvedev's comments are a direct personal attack on Trump.

Whilst there may not be any official statements , which as you point further compounds the political weakness , I cannot imagine he'll be able to simply ignore those digs and I suspect that we may have some collateral damage today as he seethes over being called out by Medvedev.

Expect a barrage of tweets this morning attacking Congress/Senate for something or other.

And here they come..

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/893083735633129472

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

everlast75 wrote: »
    That, or he is and always full of bullsh In order to consider if he is mentally incapable due to age (which is what they are saying) I would need to see a progression down that road. Old footage showing him to be sharp and then later, over time, that not being apparent anymore. Just my two cents.

Anyhoo - MSNBC have dirtied their bib too much when it comes to Trump. I can't take them too seriously anymore
    There's already some argument for this. Watch the below (especially when it comes to the Q&A bit) when he was testifying in the early 90's. There's still some of his speech mannerisms, but he is far far more coherent and can express his train of thought in a much more clear and understandable way than he does these days. Some of that may be due to the subject being much more in his area of expertise, but it still makes for interesting watching:

[edit] Also interesting that there he's calling for higher income tax for the wealthy, doubt he'd push for that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As expected, Congress gets the blame. Only one solution, a dictatorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Blowfish wrote: »
    There's already some argument for this. Watch the below (especially when it comes to the Q&A bit) when he was testifying in the early 90's. There's still some of his speech mannerisms, but he is far far more coherent and can express his train of thought in a much more clear and understandable way than he does these days. Some of that may be due to the subject being much more in his area of expertise, but it still makes for interesting watching:

[edit] Also interesting that there he's calling for higher income tax for the wealthy, doubt he'd push for that now.

Cheers for that but that was over 20 years ago. I was a hell of a lot more cogent then than I am now ;)

Maybe there is some mental issue there. Who knows. It would explain how he is so easily (and embarrassingly I might add) influenced by what is spouted on Fox.

My own view is he knows he is in way over his head. There is a chance he is manoeuvring now so that when he leaves (for whatever reason) he will blame "the swamp" and claim he tried to change things but the system wouldn't let him.

PS - I still think there is a sex pìss tape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

It's ridiculous he takes the Russian point of view of this whole situation. You can see though he is going through the arguments for a dictatorship....same thing Putin yet man in Turkey and now Venezuela. They justify it because they can't get anything done. Won't happen here though the US system was designed for idiots like Trump:)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Blowfish wrote: »

I only watched some of it, but I can't really see much of a difference tbh.

It's all rambling, hyperbole, everything is a 'total disaster' it's not a recession, it's a depression, but if we build more things it will bring so many things, jobs, and other things....

He is managing to stay kind of on topic, but it's still rambling and stream of consciousness, grand claims and exaggerations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    It's ridiculous he takes the Russian point of view of this whole situation. You can see though he is going through the arguments for a dictatorship....same thing Putin yet man in Turkey and now Venezuela. They justify it because they can't get anything done. Won't happen here though the US system was designed for idiots like Trump:)

They all say that. After Gorbachev many people thought Russia was on the way to Democracy and they are probably in a worse position then when they started.

Who would have seen Erdogen have so much power in Turkey, a country that was on the verge of joining the EU?

Already Trump has a major part of the media on his side, and a large amount of the population. And those very people seem intent on ignoring anything off message about him.

He is surrounded by people that are totally with him, that seem to happy to do anything to maintain his, and their, positions. He has put his family is senior positions, they will protect him no matter what.

An AG that lied under oath, no problem.
    A senior member of the WH has been found to have lied multiple times on official state forms, not even a hint his security clearance will be revoked.
    A senior member of the campaign admits to attempted to gain advantage from a foreign governments covert intelligence. Many people don't even accept the meeting to0k place.
    POTUS has never realised his tax returns or divested himself from his businesses.
    Continues to use his own business to be paid for by the state.
    A sister of his son in law was filmed offering visas in connection to investment in family business.

And thats just the bits off the top of my head. He has got his claws very deep in to the state and as things get more difficult he will be forced to greater acts to try to hold it all together.

The GOP, being the party with the power, whilst they make noises, have done little to actually curb his behaviour. They only lost the healthcare vote by a few votes. Trump has already shown he is not above threatening and trying to bribe senators to try to get his way.

Many of the pieces required are already in place. All he needs now is a war in which to totally distract the masses. If W Bush managed to get through massive changes to personal privacy in the name of "The war on Terror".

Trump is a very real threat to the US, one that I don't think that many of them are even aware of the extent of it. It seems that many in Europe (France etc) dallied with the threat but stepped back from the brink but US has jumped in with both feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

The interesting thing about Trump is we've an example for all the folks who've called for a pure business approach to governing. The idea you should run a country like a business.
    The most recent example, his being upset with sanctions on Russia, (talk of treason aside) ignoring the reasons why the sanctions were imposed in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

The checks and balance is primarily Republicans in congress.
    They are already complicit in voter suppression. Would they back Trump to save themselves...McConnell, Ryan, Nunes, Chaffetz, Kobach?
    You know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/02/tillerson-isis-russia-propaganda-241218

Another incredible revelation about the empty tumble weed vessel that is the US state department: once the centre for world diplomacy and promoter of democracy.

In DEc '16 Obama allocated $80 mill to the dept's Global Engagement Center to combat disinformation from Russia, China, North Korea. Tillerson has not spent a penny, his aides batting off all requests to allow the center access the money. They have also blocked access to almost $20 million to fight ISIS.

The destruction of the US State department is another area where the views of Trump's religious Statist backers (Bannon, Mercer, CNP) align perfectly with the Kremlin. This is infact Russian foreign policy enacted by Americans.

This Russian move has been two decades in the preparation. With Russia cosying/infiltrating/corrupting right wing groups/think tanks, politicians, Powerful CEOs, religious groups etc.

It's almost as if Putin's pivot to the far-right a few years back had the American right wing and powerful religious right somewhat in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

demfad wrote: »
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/02/tillerson-isis-russia-propaganda-241218

Another incredible revelation about the empty tumble weed vessel that is the US state department: once the centre for world diplomacy and promoter of democracy.

In DEc '16 Obama allocated $80 mill to the dept's Global Engagement Center to combat disinformation from Russia, China, North Korea. Tillerson has not spent a penny, his aides batting off all requests to allow the center access the money. They have also blocked access to almost $20 million to fight ISIS.

The destruction of the US State department is another area where the views of Trump's religious Statist backers (Bannon, Mercer, CNP) align perfectly with the Kremlin. This is infact Russian foreign policy enacted by Americans.

This Russian move has been two decades in the preparation. With Russia cosying/infiltrating/corrupting right wing groups/think tanks, politicians, Powerful CEOs, religious groups etc.

It's almost as if Putin's pivot to the far-right a few years back had the American right wing and powerful religious right somewhat in mind.
    Tillersons claim that Moscow would be angry if the money was used is all but an admition that he knows full well that the Russian Government is behind all of the fake news stuff. After all, if as they claim it had nothing to do with them, then they'd have no reason to get angry about money being spent to combat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Politically it's a very smart piece of legislation - Not saying I agree at all, but for an Administration looking for any sort of legislative win , it's very smart.

It ticks all the boxes for them. It plays to their base (not just Trumps) and if the Democrats block it they get to accuse them of being weak on Immigration/National Security and for not caring about "American Jobs" , again further feeding their base.

It of course ignores the utter irony of Trump hotels applying for special visas to bring in cheap foreign labour etc. but that will be ignored by the base as they won't see it - There's not a chance that information will appear on Fox et al.
    The issue for the right in America and many others, it makes sense to prioritise high skilled workers who are more likely assimilate into society and are less likely to be a burden on the welfare state. It may seem cold, but it’s not exactly that far right as other countries implement it. The reaction Yesterday seemed rather extreme tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Trump even threatened to cut off relations with Peña Nieto. “Because you and I are both at a point now where we are both saying we are not to pay for the wall,” he said. “From a political standpoint, that is what we will say

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/03/donald-trump-mexico-australia-call-transcripts-border-wall

From begging to threats. The negotiator in chief people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The issue for the right in America and many others, it makes sense to prioritise high skilled workers who are more likely assimilate into society and are less likely to be a burden on the welfare state. It may seem cold, but it’s not exactly that far right as other countries implement it. The reaction Yesterday seemed rather extreme tbh.

High skilled workers can go elsewhere if they want. Canada for example is very similar living standards wise to the US, and is largely English speaking, and they (Canada) are even taking advantage of the hateful rhetoric from Trump and his ilk, and poaching people.

I could see high tech US companies setting up in Canada.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    High skilled workers can go elsewhere if they want. Canada for example is very similar living standards wise to the US, and is largely English speaking, and they (Canada) are even taking advantage of the hateful rhetoric from Trump and his ilk, and poaching people.

We shall see.:)

That's not me been sarky, its a very tricky issue which is probably to complicated to debate with today's echo chambers on both sides. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We shall see.:)

That's not me been sarky, its a very tricky issue which is probably to complicated to debate with today's echo chambers on both sides. :o

It's not complicated, people with theses skills would prefer to live on countries without the blatant racism displayed from the top down.

Gas they think it's attractive after the last 8 months...

Its not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

It is TIME for this regime in the US to go. Re-run the election and ban the Republican party in its current form from taking part. This hardline warmongering negative nonsense needs to be gone. The world should put SANCTIONS on America and see how they like it. Steve Bannon's fascist regime needs to go and the world would be a better place without these unpatriotic cretins who are ruining America. America got rid of a similar government in 2008 and this crowd are like them only worse. It is time for America to uprise and get rid of this drivel government.

listermint wrote: »
    It's not complicated, people with theses skills would prefer to live on countries without the blatant racism displayed from the top down.

Its not

Not everyone may think the Trump regime is racist though and America will always have tremendous allure no matter who is in charge. Their are still some conservatives left in the world whether we like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its not

Not everyone may think the Trump regime is racist though and America will always have tremendous allure no matter who is in charge. Their are still some conservatives left in the world whether we like it or not.

The allure is deminished greatly under this president.

Also this is not a conservative government nor party. Conservative doesn't mean bending to the wealthy

• Advertisement

The allure is deminished greatly under this president.

Also this is not a conservative government nor party. Conservative doesn't mean bending to the wealthy

True, Trump is a shambles.

America still however has incredible prestige and allure, it survived George Bush for 8 years and the smart money is on Trump not lasting his full term thankfully. (It actually is. 8/11 or so to not last the four years, so not just a turn of phrase!:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

True, Trump is a shambles.

America still however has incredible prestige and allure, it survived George Bush for 8 years and the smart money is on Trump not lasting his full term thankfully. (It actually is. 8/11 or so to not last the four years, so not just a turn of phrase!:))

I lived in the states (employed by a tech company under a H1B visa) straddling Bush's first and second tenure. There's no comparison between the country then and now, other than the fact there's a republican in charge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

A quick check of Canadian immigration requirements indicates, for example, a capability in English or French, and according to the local radio here in Silicon Valley, the local tech companies are generally approving of this new US immigration policy. The majority of immigration to the US happens because of family connections, folks sponsoring their relatives to come over. This emphasis on family unification has been the policy since the 1960s. The thinking is that this new emphasis on skills over family connections is going to result in a larger pool of skilled workers getting into the country, even if the overall total of immigrants is smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've been unable to envision how an air conditioning upgrade takes 17 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Robert mueller has reportedly assembled a grand jury in the Russia investigation.
    Yeah some nothing burger alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Robert mueller has reportedly assembled a grand jury in the Russia investigation.
    Yeah some nothing burger alright.

You know, I'm starting to think that Trump and his supporters might not be honest people.

They made so many claims that turned out not to be true. I mean, I can understand being wrong about some things here and there but the magnitude of their bú11sht was off the scale.

Whatever the reasons for the spreading of nonsense by Trump and his supporters, they certainly can't be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Looks like it could be hitting the fan sooner than expected (though should still take a good long while).

On a lighter note, I heard a 10 day period being referred to as a 'mooch' today, as in "only three moochs until the schools go back", got a chuckle out of me. :D

The evidence must be compelling, Mueller is also looking at the money trail this has The Don very worried. What ever about collusion during the election at this stage I think it might be incidental to the mahoosive money laundering he has being facilitating over the past years for the Russians. As little Don said a couple of years ago "a disaportionate amount of our investment is Russian money is flowing into the Trump Org.." this is fact and is on record from Don Jr.

You had Russians buying 5, 6, 7 penthouses at a time and then no one living in them. Trump was dead and buried financially 15 20 years ago but all of a sudden he gets bailed out and people start lapping up his property????? Why who??

Maybe there wasn't too much collusion going on during the election (don't get me wrong obviously there was) but it's the money laundering for Russian maffia etc is where the real meat is.

I forgot to add Kushner is also up to his neck in debt with that 666 development but somehow is still afloat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Ipse dixit

The calling of a grand jury is not an indicator of the quality of evidence obtained by the Mueller investigation. Grand juries are also a poor system of judgement as we've seen in recent police shootings in the US. The American people have proven themselves rather incompetent over the past election cycle when it comes to decision making. No matter what the result the competency of the jurors will be called into question. Hopefully the results of the investigation will be obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Ipse dixit wrote: »
    The calling of a grand jury is not an indicator of the quality of evidence obtained by the Mueller investigation. Grand juries are also a poor system of judgement as we've seen in recent police shootings in the US. The American people have proven themselves rather incompetent over the past election cycle when it comes to decision making. No matter what the result the competency of the jurors will be called into question. Hopefully the results of the investigation will be obvious.

Can you link to where a Grand Jury showed bad judgement in a police shooting case.

Thargor wrote: »

Wait! Are you trying to tell me that Trump isn't the based (whatever that is) alpha male that we were led to believe?

Seriously, though, this guy and his people are a bunch of incompetent eejits. Most of the critical hits against them were from themselves shooting their own feet. They are seriously useless and have no idea of how to handle this.

Do you know what a grand jury is?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

OK, I'm calling it: the entire Trump presidency has been one long piece of performance art designed to push the limits of how much farce people are prepared to accept and excuse:
    The Secret Service has vacated its command post inside Trump Tower in Manhattan following a dispute between the government and President Trump’s company over the terms of a lease for the space, according to two people familiar with the discussions.

Previously, the Secret Service had stationed its command post — which houses supervisors and backup agents on standby in case of an emergency — in a Trump Tower unit one floor below the president’s apartment.

But in early July, the post was relocated to a trailer on the sidewalk, more than 50 floors below...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/secret-service-vacates-trump-tower-command-post-in-lease-dispute-with-presidents-company/2017/08/03/7338de16-785d-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html?utm_term=.148a184a3d74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Trump's negotiating tactic reminds me of the private detective homer hired to "persuade" Sideshow Bob to leave town.
    4j1yZTSjDfJ7HFXg9GI4INzS2Cs=.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So Mueller is looking into Trump's personal and business finance and dealings. Looking at purchases of apartments , over the years, from CNN.
    Trump's 'red line' is crossed.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    OK, I'm calling it: the entire Trump presidency has been one long piece of performance art designed to push the limits of how much farce people are prepared to accept and excuse:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/secret-service-vacates-trump-tower-command-post-in-lease-dispute-with-presidents-company/2017/08/03/7338de16-785d-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html?utm_term=.148a184a3d74

It's farcical, no doubt about it. If someone presented this as a pitch for a movie 5 years ago, they'd be laughed out of it or they'd be asked to make it a comedy.

In comedies and horrors, the protagonists get into interesting situations by their own stupid actions. Trump and his people have those in spades. It's surreal.

To suggest that this is performance art isn't such a crazy idea when you think about these unbelievable levels of stupidity among them and their supporters.

The Secret Service has vacated its command post inside Trump Tower in Manhattan following a dispute between the government and President Trump’s company over the terms of a lease for the space, according to two people familiar with the discussions.

Previously, the Secret Service had stationed its command post — which houses supervisors and backup agents on standby in case of an emergency — in a Trump Tower unit one floor below the president’s apartment.

But in early July, the post was relocated to a trailer on the sidewalk, more than 50 floors below...

Just about to post this myself, I really can't believe this ****...these are the guys who will take a bullet for you and you kick them to the street because they won't pay you F***ing rent high enough. He is a billionaire (supposedly!) And they are protecting his family also at great expense and he still charges them rent.

This is low life stuff here, what an arsehole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

from what i'm reading around the place, a grand jury being called is pretty big. it means mueller has serious **** on a person(s) and is looking at prosecutions for serious felonys. it also gives him a lot of powers of obtaining documents and records, and compelling people including possibly trump himself to testify under oath.

It's farcical, no doubt about it. If someone presented this as a pitch for a movie 5 years ago, they'd be laughed out of it or they'd be asked to make it a comedy.

In comedies and horrors, the protagonists get into interesting situations by their own stupid actions. Trump and his people have those in spades. It's surreal.

To suggest that this is performance art isn't such a crazy idea when you think about these unbelievable levels of stupidity among them and their supporters.

The Simpsons predicted this....

https://youtu.be/ZtparSnQhFc

Mike Flynn updates disclosure forms to include payments from the Mercers, the Cambridge Analytica folks.

Interesting because of why one might update such things.

DGVuDL3UAAAkSTW.jpg:large

They did. In a cartoon, in an attempt to create a comedic scenario that could only work in a cartoon.

I don't think anyone thought back then that we'd be where we are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is Flynn, who took money from any one, the sqealing pig?

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Is Flynn, who took money from any one, the sqealing pig?

It's widely suspected and alluded to by senators on record. That was the reason for the question from senator Whitehouse.

Louise Mensch has said it too but she's mostly full of $hít.

They did. In a cartoon, in an attempt to create a comedic scenario that could only work in a cartoon.

I don't think anyone thought back then that we'd be where we are now.

Exactly :)

This is a comedy, a Shakespearean comedy :(

My best wishes and hopes are that a lot of people go down with him. Over the last 30/40 years American politics has sunk into a cess pit of lies and dirty tricks. I know I'm coming from a liberal Dem side but the GOP and the right have an attitude of its winning nothing else matters... morals, lies, policy etc. Are incidental. Look at Rodger Stone he started dirty tricks in primary school (he admits this) and went on from there. Paul Manafort was a buisnes partner of his, they started all this political lobbying etc and made millions.

I hate saying this because I'll be told yeah your just a lib, but when I see the GOP suppressing voting rights, gerrymandering, putting fear into people (eg Hannity, Alex Jones, brietbart, etc) homophobic policy, racist immigration policy etc it saddens me how they have such control over a certain population of the states

The calling of a grand jury is not an indicator of the quality of evidence obtained by the Mueller investigation.
    That kind of goes against the fact that grand juries literally indict 99.99% of the time (as in all but 11 of 162,000 cases). https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/11/24/the-rarity-of-a-federal-grand-jury-not-indicting-visualized/?utm_term=.92c5a68854ff

Well that didn't take long, hopefully should be more up on it soon:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-sessions-idUSKBN1AJ026
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - Grand jury subpoenas have been issued in connection with the June 2016 meeting between Donald Trump Jr., a Russian lawyer and others, two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

I am watching Donald give a speech in West Virginia. If one of the Healy-Rae's gave such a speech in Castleisland, the locals would tell them to f off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement