Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Great article on Salon by a one-time gubernatorial candidate that met with Trump. Analyzes Trump's behaviors and gives good reasons why he was elected. http://www.salon.com/2017/08/12/my-meeting-with-donald-trump-a-damaged-pathetic-personality-whose-obvious-impairment-has-only-gotten-worse/
    I like this quote describing the kerfuffle among the psychiatric professionals who do or don't want to say anything about Trump: "You don't have to be a botanist to tell a rose from a dandelion."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    The only principle Obama stood by was appearing on late night chat shows doing comedy sketches whilst the likes of ISIS gathered and Kim Fat perfected his nuclear arsenal. Obama was a complete disaster.

Aren't you the one who said:
    Just looked at the employment figures from the US and it seems president Trump has begun to turn things around jobs wise after the disaster of the Obama years. Also the Dow Jones is soaring to new heights.

How do you manage to maintain such a world view so disconnected to reality? The only one I hear calling the Obama presidency a disaster are Trump and his Pepes. You really need to get yourself educated if you want to be taken seriously. Alternate facts don't fly anywhere outside of Trump media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I wrote a paragraph helpfully explaining the connection between a snapshot of a six month employment rate and the period immediately preceding it, and how if one inherits a recession and turns it around, that is a far more impressive feat than merely not immediately cocking up an excellent employment situation handed to you, but tbh, you're right. It is only the Pepes attempting to defend Trump by, of all things, lying about the previous president because there just isn't really anything good say about Trump. It is pretty pointless to explain basic economics.

Obama had his faults and his mistakes and they should be discussed fairly and honestly to be learned from, but nonsense like that post about "turning things around" are actually just plain lies, the alt-lunatic phrase "alternative facts" bedamned. It's long past time that deliberate lies were called out for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Thus far he is doing an excellent job. Time will tell.

An excellent job of what?

Where the hell are you getting your information from that would make you think that?

Maybe I'm the crazy one so perhaps you'd be kind enough to enlighten me as to what he's doing well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,418 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's a bad sign when members of your own party and even your own daughter are spelling out what yesterday yet the president himself can't actually say it in words either on twitter or in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

An excellent job of what?

Where the hell are you getting your information from that would make you think that?

Maybe I'm the crazy one so perhaps you'd be kind enough to enlighten me as to what he's doing well?

Controversially I have to agree Trump is doing an excellent job... ahem...

1. The profits on his DC hotel are up by $4 million compared to start-of-year projections.

2. He has obtained dozens of trademarks for Trump *stuff* globally.

3. His pending trademarks for Trump hookers in China looks to be approved soon.

4. His hotel in Mar-a-Lago profits are up by 230% due to, in part, doubling room rates.

5. Ivanka's clothing line profits are up 61% since the Presidency.

I mean, that's what he ran for. He doesn't give a monkeys if the whole country burns to the ground as long as he's getting richer. He's a sociopath with early-onset-alzheimers (most likely), can't get a single thing achieved with a GOP-led congress, is playing nuclear war chicken with North Korea and has the temperament of a 2-year-old.

Sure, if we judge him objectively he deserves his own Mount Rushmore as a monument to incompetence and national shame but if you judge it financially he's doing pretty good for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

jooksavage wrote: »
    As long as Trump isn't black or a woman or promoting racial and religious tolerance or acknowledging sexism in society he's going to be doing an excellent job in some people's eyes.

Oh so we should be giving top jobs to Obama, Hilary and varadakar because they fit these profiles. Yeah, great idea, the reasoning here is making sense. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Christy42

Rightwing wrote: »
    Oh so we should be giving top jobs to Obama, Hilary and varadakar because they fit these profiles. Yeah, great idea, the reasoning here is making sense. :rolleyes:

No the reasoning is not to avoid people like them purely based on their sex/race/sexuality and not vote in a racist.

You are arguing against an argument that was not made. Plenty of people on the left argued for Sanders who is a white old man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's all about the heart and soul. Trump has neither.

Water John wrote: »
    It's all about the heart and soul. Trump has neither.

I'd like some common sense, diplomatic ability and more foresight and ability to reason than a housefly too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

listermint wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on these soundbites? As it's unclear

I think that's just it,though.What is important to a lot of those who still support Trump is that "liberals" are annoyed by him.You see a lot of it online with all the infantile "liberal tears" memes.No real achievements aside from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think that's just it,though.What is important to a lot of those who still support Trump is that "liberals" are annoyed by him.You see a lot of it online with all the infantile "liberal tears" memes.No real achievements aside from that.

Problem is liberals seems to be a catch all.

i.e everyone who isn't me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

listermint wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on these soundbites? As it's unclear

Watch CNN, Sky, RTE etc.. it's pretty clear.

The economy stupid thing is just that. American's don't care as long as jobs are being created and things are looking up. The stock market is at an all time record (good luck seeing much of that covered by MSM). If the economy goes into recession Trump will be out the door, until then the liberals are stuck with him and it's genuinely hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The stock market is constantly covered by the media in the US, they even have whole channels dedicated to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

The economy stupid thing is just that. American's don't care as long as jobs are being created and things are looking up. The stock market is at an all time record (good luck seeing much of that covered by MSM). If the economy goes into recession Trump will be out the door, until then the liberals are stuck with him and it's genuinely hilarious.

I agree. It is comical

Incredibly self-absorbed way to look at it. "Hey, whole swathes of people I don't even know are upset and worried, isn't this funny?" Difficult to express my level of contempt for that outlook without getting banned so moving on.

Looks like Bannon is back in danger according to the nebulous-but-frequently-accurate "sources close to the President". He's been keeping very quiet since the Great Manipulator fiasco, but with Miller branching out on his own and Trump more under the thumb of a less bullyable Chief of Staff, he's fairly friendless. It's the usual swinging finger of doom regarding leaks. How this would go down with the new focus on the extreme right wing is a bit difficult to figure out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The Mexican border wall construction costs may have just shot up It seems the Govt plans to use the law of Eminent Domain to take property from private land-owners in Texas and give them what it sees as appropriate compensation in return for the seizure. The snag for the Treasury is the compensation probably won't come near what the land-owners reckon is the true cost of land to be seized so there will be a lot of legal haggling to be done if the wall is to proceed beyond a promise.

I'm liking what Rtd General McMaster had to say about the Charlottesville violence "it's terrorism and hatred and bigotry" and Don's daughter coming out with similar statements about bigotry and hatred, stamping down hard verbally on people with hatred in their minds. It's up to Don to understand and cut out adding his own personal exaggeration touches which ruin a lot of what he says. Yesterdays use of "more" in what he said about Charlottesville meant the death of the woman, as an individual, got lost in the wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

This neo-Ku Klux Klan/American Nazi event of yesterday just shows us that there are very dark forces at play in modern America. What happened was pure ISIS but not done by ISIS. Done in fact by people who supposedly despise and look down on ISIS and all they stand for. Yet the same format of driving a car into a crowd is done by them. More proof for the anti-Islam brigade that so-called Christians and atheists can do the very same hateful things as so-called Muslims.

While not a fan of Donald Trump in his current guise, I do not think he is a committed supporter of this neo-KKK stuff. He is instead out of his depth and mixed into this stuff due to poorly informed strategies and poor choice of friends. Steve Bannon, a wellknown KKK lover, is 100% locked into this stuff though. His type pose the true threat to America and the world. Trump and his admin is a stepping stone between normal US government and a government lead by an extremist, as was GW Bush's. Let's hope that this is realized before an unelected and undiselectable tyrant like Bannon takes power (possibly even by organising a hit on the current president to make an excuse for an emergency regime) and makes himself dictator for life. The KKK are on the rise sadly and they have one aim: to take charge of America and set up a dictatorship for rich whites only and where a guy like Bannon is ruler for life.

What happened in Charlottesville is pure hatred and pure terrorism and deserves the very same and equal condemnation as that given to ISIS. Like McVeigh and Breivik, yesterday showed that evil forces from Western religions like Christianity and atheism exist and are every bit as evil as their Muslim counterparts. The affore mentioned prove this beyond doubt. American white supremacist ideology as expressed by so-called Christians and atheists is a mirror image of those so-called Muslims who use an Islamic ideology to look down on non-believers. Let's hope the current American government can treat the KKK as a terrorist organisation every bit as bad as ISIS. Yesterday's actions proved they are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,808 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Interestingly enough, jobs were created throughout most of Obama's term in office, and the stock market constantly set new "all time high" records.

Obviously, since you are unaware of the fact, this must have been ignored not only by the mainstream media but also by whatever alt-right weirdo sites you take your line from. But now that reality has been pointed out to you, you'll have to agree that, by your own standards, Obama's presidency was a roaring success, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

The President of the United States has very little power these days.

The Federal Reserve, US Treasury, NSA, CIA, would squash little Trump like a worm. They don't answer to him.

I don't know why people care so much about the President of the United States anyway.
    One thing that I learned from the Bush, Obama, and now Trump presidency, is that the President of the United States doesn't have a pot to piss in with regards to implementing any agenda. People are more influenced and conditioned by Google, Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, and Hollywood movies.

Presidents, Prime Minister's, Taoiseach's whatever, no longer have any power to influence the masses on anything. They are imprisoned to the media, big business, and the banks.

Your ballot paper on election day is about as valuable as toilet paper. Hence I don't vote, and never will in the future. As I know nothing changes. They don't have power!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,808 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Conas wrote: »

The Federal Reserve, US Treasury, NSA, CIA, would squash little Trump like a worm. They don't answer to him.
    The Federal Reserve is independent by design.

The US Treasury is headed by the Secretary of the Treasury, a Cabinet-level official who is appointed by the President (subject to Senate confirmation) and can be fired by him.

The Director of the NSA is nominated by the President and can be fired by him (just like the director of the FBI already has been). Operationally, he reports to the Director of National Intelligence, a Cabinet-level official who is appointed, and can be fired, by the President.

The Director of the NSA is nominated by the President and can be fired by him; he reports to the Secretary of Defense, who is also nominated, and can be fired by, the President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Samaris wrote: »
    I'd like some common sense, diplomatic ability and more foresight and ability to reason than a housefly too.

Give me Adam Schiff or Ben Sasse any day.

Preferably Schiff but I'd take boring, steady, logical, rational, intelligent, largely centrist on either side compared to this numpty.
    Conas wrote: »

When I wake up to Pyongyang being leveled by a nuke, I'm quoting this before we all die :o You're grossly underestimating the man you're dealing with and the tremendous power he wields. The only thing smaller than his hands is his fuse. The only thing bigger than his ego is the fragility of his ego.

People can mock all they want but there is literally no framework to stop Trump if he decides on a whim, due to a battered ego, to launch a nuclear strike. He has been banging on about using nuclear weapons since the 1970's. Now he can actually do it. The considerations that would stop every President from using a nuclear weapon on North Korea are the catastrophic effects it would have on the region.

For this President the equation is rather simpler and is more of a Dougal from Fr. Ted type equation: The cow in the distance is really far away. The cow in your hand is really small. North Korea is really far away and the potential to develop hotels and golf courses is really small.

That'll be the only calculation that enters his mind if he wakes up at 5am one morning to a video of Kim Jong Un slagging Trump off after firing a missile into the sea off Guam.

We can all laugh now but Trump is getting battered every day by the media, by pundits, being mocked, laughed at (all rightly so) but his fragile ego has a limit to being portrayed as an incompetent, impotent nincompoop... I will not be surprised if he lashes out in a way that will define this century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Conas wrote:

The markets don't agree with you. They're very jittery with all this pumped up talk.

While not a fan of Donald Trump in his current guise, I do not think he is a committed supporter of this neo-KKK stuff.

He was specifically asked at his golf resort if he wanted the support of such people, and he suddenly became speechless and refused to acknowledge or answer the question.

He has stayed at one remove from full condemnation. Leaving it to a WH unnamed spokesman.
    That shows his difficulty in truly acknowledging it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Trump's never going to condemn neo-nazis or white supremacists now he's in power - look how long it for him to move away from David Duke during the election. Trump owes his election to the likes of Steve Bannon and he's not going to back away from people like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Trump's never going to condemn neo-nazis or white supremacists now he's in power - look how long it for him to move away from David Duke during the election. Trump owes his election to the likes of Steve Bannon and he's not going to back away from people like that.
    His own father was a white supremacist, and Trump's business history indicates that even if he's not into it himself, he's certainly sympathetic to it.

No doubt many of those he would consider "friends", such as Bannon, would be unhappy with strong talk against the white supremacy movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You hear the WH and some of his acolytes coming out and saying that he did condemn them, just not by name, but that is what he meant.

Just for a moment imagine if we were to replace white supremacist group with a group of Mexican immigrants, or BLM, or muslims.

Does anybody really think that Trump would have held off calling them out. This is the man who tells it like it is, no more PC. Suddenly he is very vary of picking one side over the other?

He did touch on one good point though, in a change from previous points, he actually didn't try to blame Obama. Instead he correctly stated that this is a problem beyond the last few presidents, and himself also. However,whilst it clearly is not Trumps fault, he tapped into this feeling and helped to give those people a feeling of legitimacy.

If the POTUS can get elected whilst insinuating that all Muslims are a problem and tries to bring in legislation to stop them entering the country, that has attacked transgender soldiers, and has basically said that Mexicans are such a problem that a wall needs to be built to keeps us save. He also applauded his supporters for assaulting protesters at his rallies.

That sort of rhetoric makes these people think that they are operating within the new rules. Look at the statement from one of the Alt-Right groups yesterday basically saying that because Trump hadn't denounced them specially and then walked away rather than answer the questions showed that he was on their side.

One of the problems with being a leader, whether it be POTUS or the manager of an underside football team, is you can't keep everyone happy all the time. You need to stand up for what is right (or at least what you believe in) and that sometimes means you become unpopular with certain people. So either Trump lacks the ability to be a leader, or he believes that what he is doing is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He was specifically asked at his golf resort if he wanted the support of such people, and he suddenly became speechless and refused to acknowledge or answer the question.

Oh well then he must be a fully paid up member.

Obviously he had no interest in answering such a stupid question, rightfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Why is it a stupid question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The Federal Reserve is independent by design.

The US Treasury is headed by the Secretary of the Treasury, a Cabinet-level official who is appointed by the President (subject to Senate confirmation) and can be fired by him.

The Director of the NSA is nominated by the President and can be fired by him (just like the director of the FBI already has been). Operationally, he reports to the Director of National Intelligence, a Cabinet-level official who is appointed, and can be fired, by the President.

The Director of the NSA is nominated by the President and can be fired by him; he reports to the Secretary of Defense, who is also nominated, and can be fired by, the President.

I don't really believe this to be true at all.

I think it's near on impossible for the President to monitor every aspect of these branches of goverment. He may hire and fire the directors fair enough. but I doubt a guy like Trump has the expertise to know the inner workings of the Fed and CIA, and many other branches.
    The chairman of the Fed has more influence over the economy, and it's direction than the President. Hence I'd actually see the Fed Chairman as arguably more powerful than the President.

I still see the President regardless of who it is as powerless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

One thing, the US electorate gave the top job to Obama twice as he fitted the profile and only US law on limiting Presidential Terms of Office prevented him running again for it. Leo isn't a US citizen so he wouldn't have fit the profile.

As for Hillary, there were 6 nominees for the Dems, two of whom made the final list, herself and Bernie. The GOP had 21 party nominees of party standing, none of whom fit the profile by choice of the GOP itself, they chose Don, a complete party outsider instead, who has said several times that he is new to politics.

In other news democratieus.com is reporting that Don's [re-election campaign] has released a video titled ATTACKING OUR PRESIDENT asking people to let President Trump do his job. I hope this link works..... https://youtu.be/vptm8IvmPck

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You hear the WH and some of his acolytes coming out and saying that he did condemn them, just not by name, but that is what he meant.

Just for a moment imagine if we were to replace white supremacist group with a group of Mexican immigrants, or BLM, or muslims.

Does anybody really think that Trump would have held off calling them out. This is the man who tells it like it is, no more PC. Suddenly he is very vary of picking one side over the other?

He did touch on one good point though, in a change from previous points, he actually didn't try to blame Obama. Instead he correctly stated that this is a problem beyond the last few presidents, and himself also. However,whilst it clearly is not Trumps fault, he tapped into this feeling and helped to give those people a feeling of legitimacy.

If the POTUS can get elected whilst insinuating that all Muslims are a problem and tries to bring in legislation to stop them entering the country, that has attacked transgender soldiers, and has basically said that Mexicans are such a problem that a wall needs to be built to keeps us save. He also applauded his supporters for assaulting protesters at his rallies.

That sort of rhetoric makes these people think that they are operating within the new rules. Look at the statement from one of the Alt-Right groups yesterday basically saying that because Trump hadn't denounced them specially and then walked away rather than answer the questions showed that he was on their side.

One of the problems with being a leader, whether it be POTUS or the manager of an underside football team, is you can't keep everyone happy all the time. You need to stand up for what is right (or at least what you believe in) and that sometimes means you become unpopular with certain people. So either Trump lacks the ability to be a leader, or he believes that what he is doing is right.

It is interesting to note that Tump and his supporters spent years giving out about Obama for not using their exact preferred phrasing for ISIS inspired attacks and yet suddenly a vague statement about violence in general is enough here.

Why is it a stupid question?

You're actually asking him to back up anything he posts? Billybob doesn't do fact or evidence based posting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

This neo-Ku Klux Klan/American Nazi event of yesterday just shows us that there are very dark forces at play in modern America. What happened was pure ISIS but not done by ISIS. Done in fact by people who supposedly despise and look down on ISIS and all they stand for. Yet the same format of driving a car into a crowd is done by them. More proof for the anti-Islam brigade that so-called Christians and atheists can do the very same hateful things as so-called Muslims.

While not a fan of Donald Trump in his current guise, I do not think he is a committed supporter of this neo-KKK stuff. He is instead out of his depth and mixed into this stuff due to poorly informed strategies and poor choice of friends. Steve Bannon, a wellknown KKK lover, is 100% locked into this stuff though. His type pose the true threat to America and the world. Trump and his admin is a stepping stone between normal US government and a government lead by an extremist, as was GW Bush's. Let's hope that this is realized before an unelected and undiselectable tyrant like Bannon takes power (possibly even by organising a hit on the current president to make an excuse for an emergency regime) and makes himself dictator for life. The KKK are on the rise sadly and they have one aim: to take charge of America and set up a dictatorship for rich whites only and where a guy like Bannon is ruler for life.

What happened in Charlottesville is pure hatred and pure terrorism and deserves the very same and equal condemnation as that given to ISIS. Like McVeigh and Breivik, yesterday showed that evil forces from Western religions like Christianity and atheism exist and are every bit as evil as their Muslim counterparts. The affore mentioned prove this beyond doubt. American white supremacist ideology as expressed by so-called Christians and atheists is a mirror image of those so-called Muslims who use an Islamic ideology to look down on non-believers. Let's hope the current American government can treat the KKK as a terrorist organisation every bit as bad as ISIS. Yesterday's actions proved they are the same.
    Atheism? I think you have jumped the gun, what did any of what happened got to do with Atheism or even Christianity for that matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/03/01/donald-trump-and-david-duke-for-the-record/?utm_term=.bd0e3b4f60c4

The history between Duke and Trump is crazy. You look at that link and he has constantly been brutal on Duke and tbh a lot of the things he has said is pretty spot on.

However, in the election circle he was much more evasive about him. Sad.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's a perfectly valid question that needs to be asked because the President of the United States seems to have a problem with condemning white supremacists because some of them work for him! You need a good dose of cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,782 ✭✭✭✭walshb

His twitter response to Kenneth Frazer......

Who's controlling Trump? Surely he cannot be this loose running around?

I think Trump handled that situation pretty well. Basically we had a few thugs marching and then more thugs confronting them. If you confront a thug you are liable to take one on the chin. End of. Trump was right: condemn them all.

So we had a few thugs marching, but you shouldn't confront them, because that makes them angry and your liable to get hit. In this case, with a car.
    That's the logic of what your saying. Unless you are telling us the lady who died was a thug. Great one that.
    then, she was a woman, a lesser species. Get outa that. Trump is a snivelling, two faced bully.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    So we had a few thugs marching, but you shouldn't confront them, because that makes them angry and your liable to get hit. In this case, with a car.
    That's the logic of what your saying. Unless you are telling us the lady who died was a thug. Great one that.
    then, she was a woman, a lesser species. Get outa that. Trump is a snivelling, two faced bully.

Basically what I'm saying is: stay at home.

It's usually losers and bunch of thugs mixed in that attend these protests. Not everyone marching was a thug, nor were all those that confronted them, but let's be realistic, and it's not rocket science, watch at home on tv if you enraged about Trump or anyone else, and shout at the TV, you won't end getting hurt.

It's usually losers and bunch of thugs mixed in that attend these protests. Not everyone marching was a thug, nor were all those that confronted them, but let's be realistic, and it's not rocket science, watch at home on tv if you enraged about Trump or anyone else, and shout at the TV, you won't end getting hurt.

Yeah, watching the world via TV is the answer. Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I've a better idea. Let's make the thugs stay at home shouting at the TV while everyone else exercises their freedom to march.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, watching the world via TV is the answer. Wow.

But of course, it has to be Fox News, otherwise you get fake news.

I've a better idea. Let's make the thugs stay at home shouting at the TV while everyone else exercises their freedom to march.

Yes. The authorities have to take some blame here. Clearly there were thugs there intent on causing damage, and they should have been dealt with severely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

So people should stay home and stay quiet while actual, honest-to-god Nazis march in the streets?

"Far more deserving causes" -Please name a few causes more deserving than showing Nazis that they are not welcome in your town?

Or alternatively, a few ideologically social justice heroes who can change the world can attend and get beat up and expect me to have sympathy. Well sorry, that won't be happening. The muppets will just end clogging up the A&E for far more deserving cases.

Oh wow. Seriously surely the logical solution is to get the terrorists and the thugs off the street?

If people stay at home then soon the thugs and racists will be the only ones making their voices heard and decisions will be made based on this. Therefore if you want to stop the racists from gaining more power you have to make your voice heard and this means protesting. If someone violently attempts to remove your first amendment rights (by say driving a car into protesters to discourage further protests) then the state should be backing you up. Of course Trump and those thugs don't really care about freedom of speech rights (for other people) now do they so they are largely cool with what happened.

Why can't people let their feelings with regards thugs and bullies be known? I figure society should not be standing up for the people driving cars into other people here.

Well things are fairly warped when people are trying to justify, in any way, the use of Nazi and Confederate flags, torch light and all their significance and the use of a car as a weapon.
    And the POTUS mealy mouths their condemnation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think Trump handled that situation pretty well. Basically we had a few thugs marching and then more thugs confronting them. If you confront a thug you are liable to take one on the chin. End of. Trump was right: condemn them all.

How do you feel about Trump claiming that Mexicans cause crime? Because obviously there are plenty of americans that are involved in drugs, rape & murder so should they not all just be condemned as one rather than picking one out.

And what about Muslims? There have been more domestic terrorist attacks in the US than Muslim ones. So why highlight only one. Sure aren't they all the same. Religion is the problem.

• Advertisement

I'm a firm believer in Darwin's theory of evolution. Confronting the Nazis may not end well.

We pay taxes for a reason, and indeed one of those reasons is security. I'd prefer let the army deal with them. I don't think this is overly complicated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement