Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jackrobert1995

red ears wrote: »
    He and plenty more will have a different perspective on Antifa in a years time. They are only just learning about them now. Many of us have been following them since Trumps election and know what they are all about already.

Antifa and BLM! Bunch of domestic terrorists, the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/18/steve-bannon-fired-whats-next-241793

Apparently bannon is planning to get medieval on his ass, become Bannon the Barbarian. I can see it happening alright he's the vindictive type. Can't wait.....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I see people posted the resignation letter from the White House agency. They don't pull punches.

It's a very powerful and damning letter alright.

The Whitehouse have come out and said they were going to disband it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

There are also some powerful comments amongst the bile and fury down that rabbit hole response section though.

Eh, regardless of all the many things I've disapproved of Romney for, kudos to him for that statement. And all things considered, that took some guts too. Which Republican leaders have been pretty lacking in.

Pence might run. It'd be unprecedented, but that's nothing new lately. Murkowski or Collins maybe. Kasich or other 2016 candidates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Antifa and BLM! Bunch of domestic terrorists, the lot of them.

Well that's not true.

Honestly you should do your research on white supremacy groups. Look up the oklahoma bombing for a start.

Hate never wins out. We destroyed the Nazi's before. No problem doing it again.

Do people buy unused accounts? Four years and this is your first post.

He and plenty more will have a different perspective on Antifa in a years time. They are only just learning about them now. Many of us have been following them since Trumps election and know what they are all about already.

What's that got to do with Trump and his impotency?

One's already declared. May be others, but let's face it, who's even paying attention to them over the long list of other insane things happening. Mere sanity does not headlines make.

Sleeper cells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Calina wrote: »
    I can't help feeling that Bannon's exit is stage managed, particularly given his interview during the week. That was just like providing plausibilty.

Agreed. It's hard to avoid the feeling that we should be looking somewhere else to know what's really going on. Russia probe? GOP legislative agenda? Trump's business interests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This is an issue for the GOP first, don't start saying look over there, what are the Dems doing about this?

Wouldn't worry, the Russia and business probe is grinding away in the background and also clearly in the front of Trump's mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

The point I'm making is that trump is a master of deflection and distraction. He's insane yes, but the torrent of mad stuff is so heavy now (and completely unnecessarily) that you have to wonder.

Well that's not true.

Honestly you should do your research on white supremacy groups. Look up the oklahoma bombing for a start.

Hate never wins out. We destroyed the Nazi's before. No problem doing it again.

Disgraceful comment. You should do your research. The fact that you're deflecting the fact that BLM and Antifa are responsible for domestic terror attacks clearly shows your bias to a fault. Antifa, BLM, Neo Nazis, they're all the same. I wasn't even talking about white supremacists, obviously I will not defend them. And no one should defend any group that supports violence. Terrorism is defined as the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. Are you telling me BLM and Antifa aren't guilty of this?

You have google search, I suggest you use it. Now please point to where I'm wrong.

As for my account, which btw is none of your business despite your obvious assumption you have the right to judge my activity, I have used boards since I did my Leaving Cert, and obviously I never posted prior to this. You don't have to post to take advantage of boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Samaris wrote: »
    There are also some powerful comments amongst the bile and fury down that rabbit hole response section though.

Eh, regardless of all the many things I've disapproved of Romney for, kudos to him for that statement. And all things considered, that took some guts too. Which Republican leaders have been pretty lacking in.

Pence might run. It'd be unprecedented, but that's nothing new lately. Murkowski or Collins maybe. Kasich or other 2016 candidates?

Assuming Trump is still in power, then possibly Kasich, he has kept his distance. Cruz is an other choice, its easy to forget that one of the huge criticisms of Trump from the conservatives is that he leans to left for their liking. He'd definitely have a base that would rally behind him there. Rubio will run until America just cave in and elect him also.:pac:

Haley is my dark horse, tough job, but has handled it very well, and while I disagree with a lot of her viewpoints, she is clearly very competent with lots of upside.

I admire the Romney letter and I never felt he was as horrible as the left made out when he ran, but he can **** right off in 2020.

He sat on his hands when Trump gathered momentum and only intervened properly when it was way to late. It was typical of the anti Trump republicans.

The fact he then went looking for a job doesn't impress me either who Trump seemed to be playing with for his own amusement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah, the fact that they were attacking Trump on statues rather than the ****ing Nazi's last few days is so politically stupid. Trump definitely sat a trap for them regarding his statue chat and they fell right into it.

Agreed. It's hard to avoid the feeling that we should be looking somewhere else to know what's really going on. Russia probe? GOP legislative agenda? Trump's business interests?

There was going to be some big crisis, a defining moment. Most presidents have gotten one pretty early on too so there was going to be something. People have been asking how Trump would respond to a crisis since the start and it looks to me like his reaction is instinctively to use them to deflect from all of the scandal around him.

Nuclear war and apparently trying to encourage a civil cold war were two of the worse options though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Sparko

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's a very powerful and damning letter alright.

The Whitehouse have come out and said they were going to disband it anyway.

Exactly the childish response I'd expect.

"We didn't want it anyway" in a sulky tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Disgraceful comment. You should do your research. The fact that you're deflecting the fact that BLM and Antifa are responsible for domestic terror attacks clearly shows your bias to a fault. Antifa, BLM, Neo Nazis, they're all the same. I wasn't even talking about white supremacists, obviously I will not defend them. And no one should defend any group that supports violence. Terrorism is defined as the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. Are you telling me BLM and Antifa aren't guilty of this?

You have google search, I suggest you use it. Now please point to where I'm wrong.

As for my account, which btw is none of your business despite your obvious assumption you have the right to judge my activity, I have used boards since I did my Leaving Cert, and obviously I never posted prior to this. You don't have to post to take advantage of boards.

How ever way you try and shape it. Neo Nazi's/kkk are not the same as BLM and antifa.

They aren't terrorists.

What we know is white supremacists have done it in the past and well, one of their brethren committed an atrocity just this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can I ask how you have a 4 year old account thats never posted before now? Are you using multiple accounts or what? Its not normal whatever it is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Antifa, BLM, Neo Nazis, they're all the same.
    BLM are not recognised as a terrorist group as best I know, BLM either. Large sections of the Neo Nazis however like the Aryan Nation, very much are.

In the context of the incident last week especially, you'd do as well to claim those who fight back during Islamic terrorist attacks are every bit as bad as the Jihadists themselves.

How ever way you try and shape it. Neo Nazi's/kkk are not the same as BLM and antifa.

They aren't terrorists.

What we know is white supremacists have done it in the past and well, one of their brethren committed an atrocity just this weekend.

I totally agree with you on White Supremacists.

Seeing as you can't use google, I'll only give you one headline, I can't be bothered doing it all for you. You're foolish if you think White Supremacists are the only people who can terrorize and you're highlighting your racist tendencies when you exclude through deflection.

"Remember This? Previous Black Lives Matter Riots Cost Baltimore Up to $20 Million, Ferguson $5.7 Million"

Other articles are quoting 9m but I believe they were based on earlier estimates. Are you really going to defend this amount of damage? Are you going to bring up another white fueled attack to nullify this attack (which you have done already with the oklahoma bombings)? There are numerous other examples, far more extreme but I'm going to bed. Anyway, if you want to carry on this debate, pm me, as I don't want to clog up this thread with an irrelevant debate with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What terrorist attacks are Antifa responsible for? As in what attacks perpetrated by them were investigated as terrorist attacks? I think they are idiots but trying to class them as domestic terrorists is a big stretch.

If you're only defense is "the other guys are just as bad" then you've already lost.

That comparison isn't even accurate in this case. Did the counter protestors show up armed with guns? Nope. Did they kill an innocent women with a car and injure several others? No they did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Deos trump automatically get reselected at end of his term.....or deos he formally have to be reselected??

Given the divisions/infighting going on at the min...the latter couldn't be gaunteed

Thargor wrote: »
    Can I ask how you have a 4 year old account thats never posted before now? Are you using multiple accounts or what? Its not normal whatever it is...

When I was doing my Leaving Cert I created an account to PM a few people on Boards, one of them asking about the degree he was in (which I'm doing now), a few others on my subjects for the leaving. I stopped using Boards as soon as I completed my LC. I'm surprised I remembered my password to this account, I was going to create a new one today but obviously there was no need. Irrelevant question and prying eyes from you.

MadYaker wrote: »
    What terrorist attacks are Antifa responsible for? As in what attacks perpetrated by them were investigated as terrorist attacks? I think they are idiots but trying to class them as domestic terrorists is a big stretch.

If you're only defense is "the other guys are just as bad" then you've already lost.

That comparison isn't even accurate in this case. Did the counter protestors show up armed with guns? Nope. Did they kill an innocent women with a car and injure several others? No they did not.

You don't have to kill someone to be classified as a domestic terrorist. It sounds extreme, I agree.

"The Department of Homeland Security labeled Antifa’s actions as “domestic terrorism.” “Shortly after Trump’s election, anarchist and far-left protesters rioted in Portland, bringing at least a million dollars' worth of damage — and resulting, in the eyes of the Department of Homeland Security, in 'domestic terrorism,'” explains Politico."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Deos trump automatically get reselected at end of his term.....or deos he formally have to be reselected??

Given the divisions/infighting going on at the min...the latter couldn't be gaunteed

He technically does have to except the nomination of the party at the convention but to my knowledge it's unusual for a sitting president to be challenged and if they are it's a token gesture.

He technically does have to except the nomination of the party at the convention but to my knowledge it's unusual for a sitting president to be challenged and if they are it's a token gesture.

I did wonder about this....if a candidate of quality emerged....it could cause serious ruptions

Be interesting to see how next 3 and half years pan out....looks like it will be pure chaos....isn't there a mid term election aswell to their parliament

It looks that their is any against him in hos party at this stage now as foe him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

He can be challenged and has happened before, last time was with Bush in 1992
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Buchanan

From what I remember it usually creates conflict within the party so rarely ends well. Another republican will have to step up and point out how awful Trump is to win, this involves a time where republicans had full control. When it comes to going against the dems it would come back to haunt him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

I can't really remember what with all the craziness, but when was it that Pence became the VP nominee in the run-up? Didn't Trump have some other person lined up for the position?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    I can't really remember what with all the craziness, but when was it that Pence became the VP nominee in the run-up? Didn't Trump have some other person lined up for the position?

It's only been just over 200 days in office but good christ it's been torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

buried wrote: »

This sounds familiar, was it one of the other people running in the primaries? I'm thinking maybe a woman or Carson.

I remember them being told they can do everything while Trump "makes america great again"

Found it, it was Kasich
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/07/20/trump_reportedly_wanted_kasich_as_vp_to_be_in_charge_of_domestic_and_foreign.html

This sounds familiar, was it one of the other people running in the primaries? I'm thinking maybe a woman or Carson.

Yeah, just looking at it here now, it says Pence 'dropped out of his gubernatorial re-election campaign in July to become the vice presidential running mate for Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump' that was the July of 2016. But who was the original running mate? Surely there was one, they wouldn't leave it that late to July. Would love to know who that person was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You don't have to kill someone to be classified as a domestic terrorist. It sounds extreme, I agree.

"The Department of Homeland Security labeled Antifa’s actions as “domestic terrorism.” “Shortly after Trump’s election, anarchist and far-left protesters rioted in Portland, bringing at least a million dollars' worth of damage — and resulting, in the eyes of the Department of Homeland Security, in 'domestic terrorism,'” explains Politico."

Civil unrest does not equate terrorism. Shock horror, the authorities that are part of the system that systematically murder their people in cold blood decide that the resultant unrest is terrorism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

There's another alt-right "free speech" rally planned for Boston tomorrow. We'll see how many nazi's turn out this time, they wont have as much support as they had in Virginia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

InTheTrees wrote: »
    There's another alt-right "free speech" rally planned for Boston tomorrow. We'll see how many nazi's turn out this time, they wont have as much support as they had in Virginia.

We will get another chance to see violent antifa.

We will get another chance to see violent antifa.

So do you think people who oppose kkk members and nwo nazis and white supremacists should stand there and get atracked ? If people attack you you have the right to fight back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Seeing as you can't use google, I'll only give you one headline, I can't be bothered doing it all for you. You're foolish if you think White Supremacists are the only people who can terrorize and you're highlighting your racist tendencies when you exclude through deflection.

"Remember This? Previous Black Lives Matter Riots Cost Baltimore Up to $20 Million, Ferguson $5.7 Million"

BLM is basically only a hashtag. Black people have been rioting for decades for the same basic reasons as your examples.

Here's a small sample list
    Civil Rights and Black Power Movement's Period: 1955–1977
    1958: Battle of Hayes Pond (Maxton, North Carolina)
    1962: Ole Miss riot, Oxford, Mississippi
    1963: Birmingham Riot of 1963, Birmingham, Alabama
    1963: Cambridge riot of 1963 (Cambridge, Maryland)
    1963: Lexington Riot, Lexington, North Carolina [28]
    1964: Harlem Riot of 1964 (Harlem neighborhood, Manhattan, New York City)
    1964: Rochester riot (Rochester, New York)
    1964: Philadelphia 1964 race riot (North Philadelphia section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
    1965: Watts Riots (Watts neighborhood, Los Angeles, California)
    1966: Division Street Riots (Humboldt Park neighborhood, Chicago, Illinois)
    1966: Hough Riots (Hough community, Cleveland, Ohio)
    1966: North Omaha, Nebraska (North Omaha community, Omaha, Nebraska)
    Long Hot Summer of 1967
    1967: Roxbury riots (Boston, Massachusetts)[29]
    1967: Tampa riots (Tampa, Florida)
    1967: Texas Southern University Riot (Houston, Texas)
    1967: 1967 Detroit riot (Detroit, Michigan)
    1967: Buffalo riot (Buffalo, New York)
    1967: Milwaukee Riot (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
    1967: Minneapolis North Side Riots (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
    1967: 1967 Newark riots (Newark, New Jersey)
    1967: Plainfield riots (Plainfield, New Jersey)
    1967: Cincinnati riots (Cincinnati, Ohio)
    Protests of 1968
    1968: Orangeburg massacre (Orangeburg, South Carolina)
    1968: King assassination riots following the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.
    1968: Baltimore riot of 1968 (Baltimore, Maryland)
    1968: Chicago West Side riots (Chicago, Illinois)
    1968: Louisville riots of 1968 (Louisville, Kentucky)
    1968: 1968 Washington, D.C. riots (Washington, D.C.)
    1968: 1968 Wilmington riots (Wilmington, Delaware)
    1968: Glenville shootout and riot (Cleveland, Ohio)
    1969: 1969 York Race Riot (York, Pennsylvania)
    1970: May 11 Race Riot (Augusta, Georgia)
    1970: Jackson State killings (Jackson, Mississippi)
    1971: Camden riots (Camden, New Jersey)
    1972-1977: Escambia High School riots (Pensacola, Florida)
    1975: Chaffey High School Race Riot enhanced by local sniper (Ontario, California)

BLM is basically only a hashtag. Black people have been rioting for decades for the same basic reasons as your examples.

So there have protested for basic civil rights in the 1950s and 1960s and you call them riots ?

• Advertisement

Tbf if people's civil rights are being denied to em/attempting to be curtailed

Why would they not riot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

Tbf if people's civil rights are being denied to em/attempting to be curtailed

Why would they not riot?

I do believe that was the point of the post you are quoting.

Yeah another rally is worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

So there have protested for basic civil rights in the 1950s and 1960s and you call them riots ?

I'm OK with calling legitimate deserved civil unrest rioting if that's what it becomes. Calling it terrorism is idiotic in the extreme.

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm OK with calling legitimate deserved civil unrest rioting if that's what it becomes. Calling it terrorism is idiotic in the extreme.

I'm talking about the guy driving the car into people being called terrorism. I don't differentiate between that and what's happened in Europe this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Segregation ended with the civil rights act in 1965.

A lot of the protests between 1966 and 1972 were against the anti Viet nam war.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Already covered this before; WHITE Supremacists groups are by far the highest source of domestic terorrism by a longshot and are in no way even close to the number of attacks that BLM/AntiFA performs and hence they should in no way be claimed to be equal in their threat level. You can find the full article with further details and proof here.

figure1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yay, Steve Bannon's finally gone. "Resigned." Already back at Breitbart aiming to declare war on the Trump Administration.
    Lots of links out there on this. I particularly like this photo of the Trump team from the start of this trainwreck of an Administration - only Pence is still here as he can't be fired by the President:
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/steve-bannon-sean-spicer-mike-flynn-reince-priebus-fired-donald-trump-white-house-2017-8?r=US&IR=T

Good riddance, Bannon. Too bad you're going to make millions more as a result of your 7 months in the corridors of power in DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Igotadose wrote: »
    Yay, Steve Bannon's finally gone. "Resigned." Already back at Breitbart aiming to declare war on the Trump Administration.
    Lots of links out there on this. I particularly like this photo of the Trump team from the start of this trainwreck of an Administration - only Pence is still here as he can't be fired by the President:
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/steve-bannon-sean-spicer-mike-flynn-reince-priebus-fired-donald-trump-white-house-2017-8?r=US&IR=T

Good riddance, Bannon. Too bad you're going to make millions more as a result of your 7 months in the corridors of power in DC.

Just had a quick jump over to brietbart (Hate giving them clicks) and it looks like he is declaring war FOR Trump..?!$;€

He is going after all the white house democrats (I wonder does that include Ken and Barbie eg ivanka and Jared those spineless maniqins)

Should be interesting....me thinks Bannon isn't too sad to be out, brietbart hit rate is going to go up again he has already met the Mercers and they have a war chest lined up. Money money money

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

InTheTrees wrote: »

7 turned up in Seattle. That's usually all that will turn up if you let them do their thing. They want the violence, anti protests etc but when there isn't that its just sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Just had a quick jump over to brietbart (Hate giving them clicks) and it looks like he is declaring war FOR Trump..?!$;€

He is going after all the white house democrats (I wonder does that include Ken and Barbie eg ivanka and Jared those spineless maniqins)

Should be interesting....me thinks Bannon isn't too sad to be out, brietbart hit rate is going to go up again he has already met the Mercers and they have a war chest lined up. Money money money

If the alt-right garbage eats its own children, humanity benefits. I have to think the Mercers'll are on Mueller's radar and maybe that warchest will start to dry up. Time will tell.

79% of republicans (down 6% in a week) still support Trump. Prominent ones like Mitt Romney have called him out on his Charlottesville comments. Amusingly, Trump doesn't even directly own the winery he mentioned, and it's not particularly big. This according to the people that actually run it. Trump: mouth opens, out come the lies.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement