Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Trump is always campaigning, he never stops.

Someone clearly forgot to explain the "running the country" bit that comes between elections.

The thing is: I get why Trump is always campaigning. He's an insane narcissist; he desperately needs the adulation of crowds for validation.

What I can't understand is why any sane person would admire such insane behaviour.
    No different from Julius Caesar who was a populist doing speeches to crowds all the time. No difference, it's what many historic figures have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Ask yourself why Democrats keep losing. Trump is always campaigning, he never stops. What hope have the Democrats got against such a force.

His popularity is incredibly low even in the Republican party, in terms of doing his job. He simply isn't and that in conjunction with his constant scandals is destroying him. We're still not at a stage where we will begin to see long term negative effects from his leadership style. He is internationally a laughing stock. He significantly hampered the far right even being elected in Europe due to the train wreck which the rest of the world is seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Someone clearly forgot to explain the "running the country" bit that comes between elections.

The thing is: I get why Trump is always campaigning. He's an insane narcissist; he desperately needs the adulation of crowds for validation.

What I can't understand is why any sane person would admire such insane behaviour.

Running the country is not important. What is important is your team winning. Still he is still set to do a lot of damage. Especially in terms of healthcare for the poor and climate change. Also in the middle east where the war like policy of Bush and Obama has been stepped up a few notches.

The economy he has at least left untouched so it seems to be continuing the upward trend from the last administration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

If all you are doing is taking part in identity politics, pissing off white people who make up most of the country and keep losing, then don't blame anyone but yourself. Stop blaming Russia for having a pathetic candidate, stop clutching at straws.
    How can you possibly win elections when your message is openly to go against white people?

Yeah, identity politics is bad (only when aimed at black and gay people)
    I'm a Christian, conservative and a republican in that order.
    I'm a Christian first and American second.

Guess what party the people who said those lines were a part of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

B_Wayne wrote: »
    His popularity is incredibly low even in the Republican party, in terms of doing his job. He simply isn't and that in conjunction with his constant scandals is destroying him. We're still not at a stage where we will begin to see long term negative effects from his leadership style. He is internationally a laughing stock. He significantly hampered the far right even being elected in Europe due to the train wreck which the rest of the world is seeing.

Don't forget that even Russia is getting tired of his **** and they helped him win

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/politics/russian-su-27-five-feet-from-us-aircraft/index.html (VIDEO)
    Washington (CNN)A Russian Su-27 fighter jet flew within five feet of a US Air Force RC-135 reconnaissance aircraft on Monday over the Baltic Sea, according to a US official, an encounter that was assessed to be "unsafe."

The Russian plane was armed and flew "erratically," the official added, noting that the maneuvers were deemed unsafe due in part to the proximity of the aircraft.
    Fox News was first to report the incident.
    Meghan Henderson, a spokesperson for European Command (EUCOM), confirmed to CNN that an intercept took place while the US aircraft was "flying in international airspace over the Baltic Sea"
    There have been more than 30 interactions between Russian and US aircraft and ships near the Baltic Sea since the beginning of June, a US official told CNN. The vast majority of these encounters have been safe and professional, the official added -- a point that adds to the significance of Monday's incident.
    On Monday, Russia warned that US aircraft operating in specific regions in Syria would be considered "air targets" for its forces after a US Navy jet shot down a pro-regime fighter jet.
    While both the US and Russia say their forces are in Syria to fight ISIS, Russia has allied itself with the regime of Syrian President Bahsar al-Assad while the US-led coalition has aligned with groups that oppose both the Assad regime and ISIS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Ask yourself why Democrats keep losing. Trump is always campaigning, he never stops. What hope have the Democrats got against such a force.

I don't know why you are celebrating this so called victory. That seat was solid solid solid republican the GOP won it for the last 30+ years handily. For even a dem to come close is a massive deal, it is a bell weather for any marginal seats going forward. Trump is having a negative effect and you can celebrate all you want for NOT loosing a locked down safe seat. If i were you id be worried.....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

http://www.mediaite.com/online/trump-to-host-re-election-fundraiser-at-his-washington-d-c-hotel/

WHAT YEAR IS IT

According to the Associated Press, the President has chosen his Washington DC hotel to host a big-bucks fundraiser next week in an attempt to get an early start amassing cash for a potential 2020 presidential re-election bid.

Trump campaign director Michael Glassner confirmed the location to The Associated Press on Wednesday, calling it “a premier and convenient choice”.

Attending the dinner next week will cost individual donors $35,000, according to the Washington Examiner. For $100,000, contributors can become members of the host committee.

In addition to the main Trump/Pence ticket, the fundraiser is expected to set aside money in the event that their is a challenger to the President from within the Republican party.

Although only five months into his first term, the President has decided it’s never too early to prepare for the future.

Mr. Trump officially kicked off his re-election campaign with an FEC filing on inauguration day this year, as the AP notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pony, I wouldn't be referencing Caesar, not wishing it on Trump, but that ended badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,180 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm wondering if there was a two-question poll done of US Voters would they change their voting.....

Question 1. knowing what you know now about the outcome of the election, would you have voted for a different candidate? [for all irrespective of political party affiliation].

Question 2. knowing what you know now about the incumbent, would you vote for him again or stick with the declined GOP candidates? [for those voters fond of the GOP]

Poll open to those writing here who seem to be liable to vote in US elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

aloyisious wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there was a two-question poll done of US Voters would they change their voting.....

Question 1. knowing what you know now about the outcome of the election, would you have voted for a different candidate? [for all irrespective of political party affiliation].

Question 2. knowing what you know now about the incumbent, would you vote for him again or stick with the declined GOP candidates? [for those voters fond of the GOP]

Poll open to those writing here who seem to be liable to vote in US elections.

It really is a strange one as many now will not consider hindsight and promote change again or admit that they were wrong. Also, even though the country becomes more and more divided there will be an inability for Republicans to swing to Dems. The U.S. is in a stale mate with a "leader" who took a punt and can't believe his foolhardy luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I don't know why you are celebrating this so called victory. That seat was solid solid solid republican the GOP won it for the last 30+ years handily. For even a dem to come close is a massive deal, it is a bell weather for any marginal seats going forward. Trump is having a negative effect and you can celebrate all you want for NOT loosing a locked down safe seat. If i were you id be worried.....

Democrats spent an absolute fortune on this seat, they went all out in it and with the current anti Trump vibe they still came up well short.

They may have a good 2018 due to Trump's awfulness kicking in, but sooner or later they are going to have to stop banging on about moral victories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Rally starting now.

It's incredible how much taxpayer money will be spent on re-electing Trump. And not just with these rallies which, in essence, give his supporters the distinct impression that they aren't just "flyover" country anymore - but because they are rallies run by his campaign. they are equally not open to the majority of Americans. Trump has to accept no criticism at them, answer no policy questions, and whats more, has to produce nothing for the American people on days that he does these rallies. Will be great to see how that goes...

But no, this is also taking the biscuit for me today:

?id=0000015c-603e-d8e5-adff-6fbe5b160001

Whereas Republicans criticized hillary for a paid $400K speech (or few) to Wall Street, this even will rake in the cash equivalency of a paid Wall Street speech for every 12 heads in attendance - and I don't envision that the Secret Service will be given a waive. But if even 40-50 people show up, which last I heard from someone was a Wall Street Speech attendance level, that's still 4-5 paid speeches I mean damn. Not to mention the amount of influence being bought.

Couple that with the pretty fair assumption that the 100% price bump in membership to Mar-a-lago will be directly absorbed and re-spent on SuperPAC spending in the future (500+ resort members, +100K pure profit per membership, equals 125 paid speeches, per year, or 2.92 speeches per week, which probably helps explain all the trips to Mar-A-Lago). Mr. Trump may have the delusion that isn't the case, but that is exactly what is happening, he is being directly influenced by outside money. And when that comes from Saudis earlier in the year, and you subsequently go and visit them to sell them a lot of military hardware and **** - that's a solid reason to be sued under the Emoluments clause.

They lost a seat they pumped a lot of money into. It's a loss. No other way of spinning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

They lost a seat they pumped a lot of money into. It's a loss. No other way of spinning it.

No, they didn't lose a seat. They failed to gain the seat. The tGOP would've *lost* the seat if they hadn't won the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This cuts both ways, though. The Democrats spend a reported $23 million, but the Republicans upwards of $27 million. Should the Republicans take comfort from the fact that they had to spend that amount of money to hold, by a narrow margin, on to a seat which should have been a shoe-in for them?

To my mind, the preposterous amounts of money spent on this campaign by both sides tend to undermine its usefulness as a signal about anything. Nobody will be spending even a fraction of that money on any House seat in the 2018 mid-terms, so this race is not really a useful comparator for anything. The Republicans, having spend that amount of money, pretty well have to believe they spent it on something worthwhile (as opposed to, you know, building up a war chest for the mid-terms) so they will hail the fact that they didn't lose the seat as a the most decisive victory since the Battle of Waterloo. The Democrats don't have this fig-leave to justify their prodigality; ironically, that may make it easier for them to develop a sense of proportion, and to realise that fetishizing special elections to the House isn't really a cost-effective way of opposing Trumpery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This cuts both ways, though. The Democrats spend a reported $23 million, but the Republicans upwards of $27 million. Should the Republicans take comfort from the fact that they had to spend that amount of money to hold, by a narrow margin, on to a seat which should have been a shoe-in for them?

That they'll get to defend next November! (like all these special election seats.)

The South Carolina S.E. was a lot closer than predicted, too, which is very interesting and bodes well for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

The wall will now pay for itself. And it was all Trump's idea. Just when I was starting to think he was an idiot
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2017/0622/884645-us-politics-trump/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭derb12

The wall will now pay for itself. And it was all Trump's idea. Just when I was starting to think he was an idiot
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2017/0622/884645-us-politics-trump/

This has to be his funniest yet! All the panels would have to be on the sun facing side ..which is Mexico .. And then angled up to face the sun.
    "We are going to build a great southern ramp"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,792 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yeah, coz the Mexicans aren't going to take great fun in breaking the solar panels.

The US will end up paying way more in security and repairs then they will ever get back from the electricity generated.

Of course, they will have to buy the panels from China since the US won't be investing in renewables energies.

Hey, how about they just build it out of coal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's an incredibly stupid idea. If you think you can make money by building a vast solar farm and selling the power generated, then build a vast solar farm. If you design it rationally, you'll find that you haven't spread all the panels out over in a five thousand-kilometre line, so as to maximise your construction costs, maximise your maintenance costs, and maximise the costs and inefficiencies of transmitting the energy from the panels to the end users. There's a reason why existing power generation facilities are not built as long narrow walls, Donald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If they have so much electricity from solar panels then they won't be needing any coal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It's an incredibly stupid idea. If you think you can make money by building a vast solar farm and selling the power generated, then build a vast solar farm. If you design it rationally, you'll find that you haven't spread all the panels out over in a five thousand-kilometre line, so as to maximise your construction costs, maximise your maintenance costs, and maximise the costs and inefficiencies of transmitting the energy from the panels to the end users. There's a reason why existing power generation facilities are not built as long narrow walls, Donald.

I think that the Trump base are being played by Trump. It is all a joke by him to point out to the rest of the world just how gullible his supporters are. Remember how he said he could shoot someone on 5th Ave in full view (or was it Times Square) and he would not lose a single vote? Well he is now expanding on that - propose the most stupid idea and see it grow legs.

Covfefe anyone?

Yeah, I think it feeds into his narcissism. Being able to make up ideas, without I assume any input from any other people, and see the great reaction from the crowd.

Doesn't matter that the idea is clearly non sense. In his world, I am guessing, he blames others for failing to deliver the idea rather than the idea itself.

Only a few weeks ago he is dumping Paris, denies climate change etc and now is putting forward that the US should spend millions on solar panels to create electricity. He didn't bother to say why they needed the electricity since more coal means that there is no need for it.

But his supporters love it. It's akin to a religion at this stage. Facts and critical thinking don't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

At least it made obvious that Democrats are rigging polls and 538 with their oversampling techniques cannot cannot be trusted anymore
    https://mobile.twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/875112655836643328

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,180 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Sorry, A Little Pony, the Dems didn't lose a seat, they didn't gain one. It was a status quo result. Any other reading of that is wishful thinking.

It's time for the republican voter to accept that, as has been done here by apparent GOP voters, that Don is a bad dose. What happened to the Dems also happened to the GOP when it's membership decided to go with Don in what seems a populist vote. The GOP membership was as sick and tired of it's Washington set as the Dem membership was of it's one. Both sides showed their anger with the management and are continuing to do so, the GOP especially when all they have as an alternative are the failed candidates they rejected.

Looking at the way Don and the GOP eventually ran its campaign is an example on how to use dissatisfaction to one's advantage. Don smelt the air outside Washington and went with it. It'll take a while longer for the Don effect to hit home base, he's been getting lucky strikes up to now, being the hero for the GOP masses.

If the money and the business deals of Dons Admin are all there is to it, then the present GOP admin hasn't really changed from the Bush era where that Admin's members were doing the same, but it isn't just that. The baseline GOP voter was conned by an insider businessman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I think we might see alot more of this in the future. Central Pennsylvania radio host loses job after he criticises Trump on air.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/presidential/trump-critic-pa-radio-host-bruce-bond-out-20170620.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25 peckerdara

He just keeps on giving.

He has been given no money to build the wall yet and he is adding features that must make it a lot more expensive to build, notwithstanding the fact that it may not even be possible or provide any value above a more typical solar farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I think we might see alot more of this in the future. Central Pennsylvania radio host loses job after he criticises Trump on air.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/presidential/trump-critic-pa-radio-host-bruce-bond-out-20170620.html
    To be fair as best I know that si because that station wanted to strictly keep put of politics altogether on either end being a rock music station.

As for the solar panel idea, give it the weekend and we'll be hearing how Trump had nothing to do with it just like was the case with him supposedly help write the AHCA.

It truly staggers me how this man is a businessman of any note.

I have yet to see any significant workable idea come from him. He seems to have no position on anything, no actual idea, no vision.

Just blurt out anything at all and at some point someone clever will come along and make something work.

Take Obama. His big idea was healthcare reform. For many reasons (mainly depending on which side of the political divide you sit) the outcome was less than it should have been, but it was a goal he was working towards. Get healthcare to as many as possible, remove healthcare from being tied directly to employment etc etc.

Not saying that every leader needs to a ground breaking vision, but at least have something.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It truly staggers me how this man is a businessman of any note.

I have yet to see any significant workable idea come from him. He seems to have no position on anything, no actual idea, no vision.

Just blurt out anything at all and at some point someone clever will come along and make something work.

Take Obama. His big idea was healthcare reform. For many reasons (mainly depending on which side of the political divide you sit) the outcome was less than it should have been, but it was a goal he was working towards. Get healthcare to as many as possible, remove healthcare from being tied directly to employment etc etc.

Not saying that every leader needs to a ground breaking vision, but at least have something.

As a businessman, he is not noteworthy. His father was a very dodgy but extremely wealthy businessman who set The Donald up with a loan and who subsequently bailed The Donald out when his businesses started failing.

He is regarded as a successful and noteworthy businessman. The fact that the facts don't bear this out is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Southern facing. Lots of energy. Why stop with solar?
    Mexican wave power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Billy86 wrote: »
    To be fair as best I know that si because that station wanted to strictly keep put of politics altogether on either end being a rock music station.

As for the solar panel idea, give it the weekend and we'll be hearing how Trump had nothing to do with it just like was the case with him supposedly help write the AHCA.

Did you read the article?

"Bond said that management didn’t seem to care when he spoke about President Obama on the air, but claims their attitude about politics changed last year when it became clear Trump would be become the Republican presidential nominee."

"Pat Garrett, the owner of WTPA who is best known for his billboards along I-78 promoting his sheepskin business, is an unabashed Trump supporter who made his political preferences well-known in a song he released during the campaign."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Looking at the way Don and the GOP eventually ran its campaign is an example on how to use dissatisfaction to one's advantage. Don smelt the air outside Washington and went with it. It'll take a while longer for the Don effect to hit home base, he's been getting lucky strikes up to now, being the hero for the GOP masses.

If the money and the business deals of Dons Admin are all there is to it, then the present GOP admin hasn't really changed from the Bush era where that Admin's members were doing the same, but it isn't just that. The baseline GOP voter was conned by an insider businessman.

Its easy to see how he picked up so many votes from the disenfranchised. I can imagine them listening the below & thinking...this guy is the one who'll save us.

He's a bull$hit salesman, but he figured out how to tap into a large group of the American populace, and on the face of things, his base, on the whole, still buy in it.
    The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer. Mothers
    and children trapped in poverty in our inner cities; rusted-out factories scattered
    like tombstones across the landscape of our nation; an education system, flush with
    cash, but which leaves our young and beautiful students deprived of knowledge…
    This American carnage stops right here and stops right now… For many decades,
    we’ve enriched foreign industry at the expense of American industry… We’ve
    defended other nation’s borders while refusing to defend our own… One by one, the
    factories shuttered and left our shores, with not even a thought about the millions
    upon millions of American workers left behind… Every decision on trade, on taxes,
    on immigration, on foreign affairs, will be made to benefit American workers and
    American families. We must protect our borders from the ravages of other countries
    making our products, stealing our companies, and destroying our jobs. Protection
    will lead to great prosperity and strength…We will bring back our jobs. We will
    bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth. And we will bring back
    our dreams.

He is regarded as a successful and noteworthy businessman. The fact that the facts don't bear this out is irrelevant.

Sadly, so true.

Did you read the article?

"Bond said that management didn’t seem to care when he spoke about President Obama on the air, but claims their attitude about politics changed last year when it became clear Trump would be become the Republican presidential nominee."

"Pat Garrett, the owner of WTPA who is best known for his billboards along I-78 promoting his sheepskin business, is an unabashed Trump supporter who made his political preferences well-known in a song he released during the campaign."
    Well that is interesting, I'll be honest just brushed over a reddit thread or something on here or something like that on a bathroom break in work yesterday. I guess the radio station's owners might suffer from a case of snowflakeism?

Trump also said this in relation to the, now, solar wall with Mexico.
    “We’re thinking about building the wall as a solar wall, so it creates energy, and pays for itself. And this way Mexico will have to pay much less money, and that’s good. Is that good?”

Trump has always said that Mexico will pay for the wall. So if he thinks that Solar panels will produce electricity and thus pay for the wall over time, surely that electricity belongs to Mexico since they paid for the wall?

So even if the idea is feasible, it provides no benefit to the US, only to Mexico.

Who knew he cared?

Sorry, A Little Pony, the Dems didn't lose a seat, they didn't gain one. It was a status quo result. Any other reading of that is wishful thinking.

It's time for the republican voter to accept that, as has been done here by apparent GOP voters, that Don is a bad dose. What happened to the Dems also happened to the GOP when it's membership decided to go with Don in what seems a populist vote. The GOP membership was as sick and tired of it's Washington set as the Dem membership was of it's one. Both sides showed their anger with the management and are continuing to do so, the GOP especially when all they have as an alternative are the failed candidates they rejected.

His base will always be on his side as they hate liberalism. The Donald has that vote tied up. I just sit back and enjoy the turmoil. The Presidents of the US for many years now aren't near the quality of Jefferson, Madison, FDR or  T Roosevelt. 

They are crap in comparison. America doesn't have any top intellectual politicians anymore. I am surprised people get so worked up about a country which is frankly in decline and has been for a good while now. 

To sum up America right now is you had Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump as the two people who could only become President. That tells you everything you need to know about the decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

At least it made obvious that Democrats are rigging polls and 538 with their oversampling techniques cannot cannot be trusted anymore

Здравствуйте. I suggest you google the following terms. "Probability", "Statistics", "Sampling", "Margin of Error", "Forecasting" and "Weighting". These are usually taught in secondary school but people tend to forget them because they're mathematical concepts.

• Advertisement

Здравствуйте. I suggest you google the following terms. "Probability", "Statistics", "Sampling", "Margin of Error", "Forecasting" and "Weighting". These are usually taught in secondary school but people tend to forget them because they're mathematical concepts.

It also conveniently ignores that plenty of polls has it about neck and neck, and in the end there was less than 2% in the result (48.1 vs 51.9%).

At least it made obvious that Democrats are rigging polls and 538 with their oversampling techniques  cannot  cannot be trusted anymore

Who honestly cares about polling? It's the most irrelevant thing ever. You had Hillary on a 98% chance of being President by the NYT (I think). So many people thought he had no chance, if you look at videos when he said he would be running, the reactions from the commentators in the media is hilarious and so arrogant when you look back at it now.

They never saw it coming which is the great thing about it all. They thought they had it all sewn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

He's a bull$hit salesman, but he figured out how to tap into a large group of the American populace, and on the face of things, his base, on the whole, still buy in it.

Last night during a rally he claimed that he would implement a plan where immigrants wouldn't be able to get social security for 5 years... something that is already law of the land!

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics/Trump-Calls-for-Stricter-Limits-on-Welfare-for-Immigrants-430054963.html

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Last night during a rally he claimed that he would implement a plan where immigrants wouldn't be able to get social security for 5 years... something that is already law of the land!

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics/Trump-Calls-for-Stricter-Limits-on-Welfare-for-Immigrants-430054963.html

But it rings true to those that support him. They are not actually ware of the facts, they just see immigration as a problem. They are not sure exactly why, but there was less of them 10 years ago and things were better so it must be their fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

But it rings true to those that support him.

Truthiness, as Stephen Colbert used to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

So even if the idea is feasible, it provides no benefit to the US, only to Mexico.

Who knew he cared?

It is not feasible and in typical trump style an idea that a three year old finds good.
    1. The solar panels are most efficient towards the South so Mexico's side, happy vandalising and scavenging :D
    2. The wall needs to be more stable to hold them, what drives the cost of the wall up again
    3. The wall is mostly in unoccupied areas of the US, so the energy is far away from where it is needed. Transporting it is expensive and complicated. (Same reason why there is no gigantic solar farm in the Sahara to saturate all of Europe's energy needs)
    4. To get all the solar panels needed, China or Germany would be needed as the US doesn't have the capacity to deliver enough material soon enough

Not when the GOP came in and spent tons of money to save the election. http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/ad-spending-georgia-special-election-approaches-40-million-mark-n771196

This, in response to Ossof's campaign outraising Handel handily. They had to employ socialism to win the seat, which I find humorous.

And Chaos Theory. It is aptly named.

Overheal wrote: »

Not when the GOP came in and spent tons of money to save the election. http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/ad-spending-georgia-special-election-approaches-40-million-mark-n771196

This, in response to Ossof's campaign outraising Handel handily. They had to employ socialism to win the seat, which I find humorous.
    Southern hospitality.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

They are crap in comparison. America doesn't have any top intellectual politicians anymore. I am surprised people get so worked up about a country which is frankly in decline and has been for a good while now. 

What does the decline coincide with?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement