Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Autochange wrote: »

I said earlier how people can get so much in a twist about the goings on in the us but dont have an issue with the thousands living on our streets or the over 12 month hospital waiting lists here. Its like many of you are seeing the goings on in the Us as a soap opera which is keeping you enthralled

It is, it is a bit of (dangerous) entertainment between bouts of discussing on social media the issues of homelessness and hospital waiting lists. None of these activities actually achieves anything, but at 11 pm what else would I be doing?

Its noticeable that you are still here in the discussion, don't you have a hospital to organise?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Then why are you still posting here?

I believe in a working national health system that gives a good service to all patients and I believe in a functioning public and private housing system that does not allow homelessness so if that makes me left I'm guilty as charged. I also believe anyone who uses violence to promote political opinion should be prosecuted under the law again if that makes me left I'm guilty.

Im not disagreeing but we have none of those things here in Ireland.
    I agree with you about anyone who uses violence should face prosecution. I never disagreed.

Anyway we need to get the thread back to Trump. I unintentionally derailed it a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

looksee wrote: »
    It is, it is a bit of (dangerous) entertainment between bouts of discussing on social media the issues of homelessness and hospital waiting lists. None of these activities actually achieves anything, but at 11 pm what else would I be doing?

Its noticeable that you are still here in the discussion, don't you have a hospital to organise?

Thats a bit harsh. Its your country too.

In that case dont you have a Trump tweet to complain about?

• Site Banned Posts: 21 melty melty beautiful wickedness

I get the impression Trump would prefer not to be president. He loves the attention but he doesn't love the constant decisions he has to make and the inevitable criticism he gets no matter what he does.

If there was some way he could resign with no disgrace attached I'd say he'd love to but unfortunately there's no such way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Autochange wrote: »
    What exactly do they want to achieve?

The people now ? Well I'm not sure but it's clear they feel an affinity with the confederacy which wanted to succeed from the union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Then why are you still posting here?

I believe in a working national health system that gives a good service to all patients and I believe in a functioning public and private housing system that does not allow homelessness so if that makes me left I'm guilty as charged. I also believe anyone who uses violence to promote political opinion should be prosecuted under the law again if that makes me left I'm guilty.

How are you going to pay for this Utopia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I get the impression Trump would prefer not to be president. He loves the attention but he doesn't love the constant decisions he has to make and the inevitable criticism he gets no matter what he does.

If there was some way he could resign with no disgrace attached I'd say he'd love to but unfortunately there's no such way.

I imagine that he believed his "drain the swamp" and "MAGA" would be enough to get things done without a continuous hands-on by him being needed. His statement on the healthcare issue "nobody knew health care could be so complicated" was revealing; he didn't see/realise that everyone else with opinions and needs on the issue would have to be seriously taken into account when voting for scrapping the disliked "Obama-care" plan & providing a replacement plan at the same time was and is indicative of his mindset in dealing with obstacles in his path. Deconstructing them is not easy from the Oval Office, not quite having the ultimate power he thought went with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

How are you going to pay for this Utopia?

Just because I believe in something does not mean I do not understand that it may not be achievable.

But Trump could pay for universal health care if there was a 90% cut in defence spending maybe. Would just mean they then spend what other countries spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I don't recall enough about them tbh, but they were nowhere as crap when Andrew Breitbart was there and before Bannon had really taken control. Breitbart were somewhat less mental back in the day.:eek:

He has been pretty brutal on Trump to be fair anyhow and bailed once it became little more than a Trump fansite.

I don't really remember the early days, as I wasn't to aware of Breitbart back then. It has certainly gotten worse under Bannon, and the attacks on him from the alt right (Shapiro), have been pretty brutal (we can easily guess the reason).

StudentDad wrote: »
    I can't comment on US school books but I do agree on the importance of history. It's kinda scary when you ask someone about a particular historical figure and you get a blank stare in response. That's why I get what you are saying in relation to these statues as a kind of reminder. That said my fear is that if we whitewash everything we'll forget.

SD

The statues are the white wash. There not condemning slavery, but rather celebrating those who defended it. Again, the intent was never about history, but a threat against African Americans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What Wes says. The statues themselves are an attempt to assert a particular narrative about the American civil war. They mostly don't date from the war itself; the bulk of them were erected between 1900 and 1930 and they served the dominant political agenda of those times, which was an essentially racist one. To see the statues as something neutral, objective or fact-based, and opposition to them as ideological is completely to misread the situation.

I believe humans are inherently racist and that racism will always bubble under the surface in a multicultural society. Racism can rise to the surface at any time.

Politicans refuse to accept that but I believe its true.

Inequality is the driver of the vast majority of social unrest in my view.

Sweden recognised that inequality causes social problems and so they decided to reduce inequality. They improved the wages and conditions of lower jobs and they reduced the wages of upper jobs. They were doing this in the 1960s and 1970s apparently. CEOs of large companies are only paid 4 times what their toilet cleaners receive or thereabouts.

It worked in Sweden. Their society was peaceful and content, in the 1970s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

I believe humans are inherently racist and that racism will always bubble under the surface in a multicultural society. Racism can rise to the surface at any time.

Agreed and this is the reason why racist movements cannot be written off as a tiny minority to be ignored. Racist regimes happen in civilised societies when the environment is suitable. That underlying racism is the fuel. Economic hardship/unfairness is the oxygen. These groups are the spark plugs. (sorry for the krap analogy but you get the idea)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The existence of racism needs to be acknowledged and discussed.

And then beaten off the streets and back into hiding.

Trump's victory made these racists and Nazis think they could parade about in triumph. They learned they were wrong, and have cancelled 67 planned marches to go and hide in their mom's basements rally online.

Posts are being duplicated and other posts are dissapearing.

Fifth time lucky.
    Ultimately, if populations are racist then politicians should represent that racism. To do otherwise is dereliction of duty.

It is the refusal of politicians to accept that their own populations are racist which is the problem, or is at least part of the problem.

In other words, politicians are delusional when they say that their populations desire and want a multicultural society.
    When did populations ever indicate such a desire?

Trump recognises that racism exists and he panders to it to a degree. He won the presidency. The existence of racism needs to be acknowledged and discussed.

Continuing with forced multiculturalism is reckless in these circumstances.

And then beaten off the streets and back into hiding.

Trump's victory made these racists and Nazis think they could parade about in triumph. They learned they were wrong, and have cancelled 67 planned marches to go and hide in their mom's basements rally online.

Your position is fine as far as it goes, but you think violence can be used against your opponents and so they likely think the same. In other words, your position leads to increased violence.

What if you are in a minority?
    Do you then accept that democracy is tryanny of the majority and you accept that you have lost?

Or do you fight back anyway, despite having lost?
    If yes, you do fight despite having lost, then current minorites are going to refuse to lose. They reserve the right to use violence if they lose votes.

The takeaway theme appears to be that violence pays. I'd agree with that by the way, violence does pay.

Your position is fine as far as it goes, but you think violence can be used against your opponents and so they likely think the same.

These are Nazis and racists - they don't need me to tell them how to use violence against their opponents. It is kind of their thing.

And I think it should be the police beatiing them - the arm of the state authorized to crack heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

wes wrote: »
    I don't really remember the early days, as I wasn't to aware of Breitbart back then. It has certainly gotten worse under Bannon, and the attacks on him from the alt right (Shapiro), have been pretty brutal (we can easily guess the reason).

Don't like Shapiro but he is a pretty vocal and frequent critic OF the Alt-Right.

Pretty ignorant (or dishonest) to describe him as Alt-Right. Unless I am reading you wrong here?

The role of politicians is to represent the majority viewpoint, or the viewpoint of their electorate.

If the majority viewpoint is racist then how should politicians respond and act?

The position of some posters is that politicians should refuse to represent the majority opinion if they personally disagree with it, and instead they should force their own opinions on other people.

I'm saying the existence of racism should be acknowledged and discussed, and after that discussion, the borders should be closed and we should strive for a homegenous society, while also striving to minimise inequality.

I'm assuming that a majority would vote as I suggest, especially if they correctly understood the decision they were being asked to make.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I believe humans are inherently racist...

Based on what?

Racism is learned behaviour. Children are not racist until they're taught to be. The idea that racism is inherent is an insidious one that's used to justify hateful behaviour, and it needs to be stamped out ruthlessly.

If you're racist, that's on you. You learned to be racist; you can learn not to be.

The position of some posters is that politicians should refuse to represent the majority opinion if they personally disagree with it, and instead they should force their own opinions on other people.

Democracy does not mean 51% of the people get to enslave the other 49%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Democracy does not mean 51% of the people get to enslave the other 49%.

Brexit proves otherwise. No attempt by British govt to accomodate remainers.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Based on what?

Racism is learned behaviour. Children are not racist until they're taught to be. The idea that racism is inherent is an insidious one that's used to justify hateful behaviour, and it needs to be stamped out ruthlessly.

If you're racist, that's on you. You learned to be racist; you can learn not to be.

I believe a white baby is more likely to turn to white parents for assistance than turn to black parents and vice versa.

If that was true that would be objective discrimination.

Do you believe that babies are colourblind in the circumstances described?

Are babies species aware, or is that also learnt behaviour?

Would a baby look for assistance from a dog as quickly as it would a human?
    Did the baby learn to turn to humans or does the baby instinctively recognise the difference between dogs and humans?
    Can that inherent discriminatory ability also work with humans of different appearances and colours?

I suspect babies recognise differences between people and that they instinctively turn to those most like them. That's the start of racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

The role of politicians is to represent the majority viewpoint, or the viewpoint of their electorate.

If the majority viewpoint is racist then how should politicians respond and act?

I'm saying the existence of racism should be acknowledged and discussed, and after that discussion, the borders should be closed and we should strive for a homegenous society, while also striving to minimise inequality.

I'm assuming that a majority would vote as I suggest, especially if they correctly understood the decision they were being asked to make.

No it isn't. Politicians have to represent their entire community. Not just the majority. Obviously they will themselves be biased towards the majority but they have a duty to also consider the minority. Racism is a dereliction of this duty.

Not everyone is as racist as you claim either. A homogenous society simply sounds boring, I love hearing other people's experiences (and like it would breed more racism as I always think the best way to prevent racism is to talk to the people you might hate and see they are generally pretty ordinary).

Finally people should always be attempting to better themselves. Not simply accept they should be scumbags.

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Don't like Shapiro but he is a pretty vocal and frequent critic OF the Alt-Right.

Pretty ignorant (or dishonest) to describe him as Alt-Right. Unless I am reading you wrong here?

I was talking about the alt right attacking Shapiro, to clear things up. No fan of him, but what I was trying to say, was that the alt right attacks on him were awful.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I believe...

I suspect...

It doesn't matter what you believe or suspect. Racism is learned behaviour. If you choose to believe otherwise, that's on you.

It doesn't matter if racism is natural and inherent or if it is learnt.

What matters is whether or not racism exists, not the cause of the racism.

Of course, if racism is learnt then the prevalence of racism could be reduced in the future, but if racism is inherent then we cannot affect its prevalence. Perhaps we could reduce its worst excesses through education.

I suspect racism in humans is a mixture of inherent behaviour and learnt behaviour. Humans don't need to learn to be afraid of spiders and snakes for example, so humans definitely have some inherent views of the world which don't need to be learnt. Instinctive behaviour we call it in animals.

The cause of racism is less important that the existence of racism. We need to discuss racism and perhaps move more slowly to accomodate the racists in our society, even if that appears backward and anachronistic to the more evolved uber humans in our society.

Racism is real and simply wishing it didn't exist doesn't make it go away.

Ignoring racism and insisting on political correctness means we are failing to discuss major problems in our society and that must be seen as a dereliction of duty by politicians.

Christy42 wrote: »
    No it isn't. Politicians have to represent their entire community. Not just the majority. Obviously they will themselves be biased towards the majority but they have a duty to also consider the minority. Racism is a dereliction of this duty.....

Politicians cannot represent the diverse opinions of their electorate if the differing viewpoints are diametrically opposed to one another. In other words, the opposing viewpoints are incompatible with one another and only one viewpoint can be satisfied. In that case the majority viewpoint must be satisfied.

For example, gay marraige can only be decided by a simple majority.
    If you have two sub-cultures on your society and they want diametrically opposed things you cannot satisfy both parties and so unhappiness is guaranteed.

Mostly homogeneous societies can largely avoid this problem as most people share similar viewpoints.
    Of course, even in ethnically homegeneous societies you can still have substantial cultural differences, for example, between catholics and non-catholics in 1980s and 1990s Ireland.

Ultimately, small groups get along and large groups fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Politicians cannot represent the diverse opinions of their electorate if the differing viewpoints are diametrically opposed to one another. In other words, the opposing viewpoints are incompatible with one another and only one viewpoint can be satisfied. In that case the majority viewpoint must be satisfied.

If you have two sub-cultures on your society and they want diametrically opposed things you cannot satisfy both parties and so unhappiness is guaranteed.

Mostly homogeneous societies can largely avoid this problem as most people share similar viewpoints.
    Of course, even in ethnically homegeneous societies you can still have substantial cultural differences, for example, between catholics and non-catholics in 1980s and 1990s Ireland.

By your rationale of letting hate speech dictate policy then it would seem to condone Hitler to an extent. Where would you draw line with Hitler? If he deported all the Jewish people, many of whom were born in Germany, would that be justified? Pandering to the dangerous is your proposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

But in the case of gay marriage in Ireland, the politicians have respect to all sides of their community and allowed them to vote on the matter. Now that the vote is done, they don't **** on the losing side. Those people still exist in society and retain their rights as citizens.

Your arguement is weak, like stating that you believe that steeling is acceptable and it's not fair that the police would arrest you for steeling someone's car...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

melty melty beautiful wickedness has been banned, so no need to respond to their posts any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The cause of racism is less important that the existence of racism. We need to discuss racism and perhaps move more slowly to accomodate the racists in our society, even if that appears backward and anachronistic to the more evolved uber humans in our society.

discuss it , yes, accommodate it . NO. or are you suggesting we accommodate pederasts etc ( another claimed inherent behaviour trait)
    Humans don't need to learn to be afraid of spiders and snakes for example,

actually they do , children learn it from their parents, etc

Humans have always tended to congregate and associate with like minded versions of them selves, however racism , which is an active thing is a learned behaviour largely imprinted on children by their parents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

BoatMad wrote: »
    actually they do , children learn it from their parents, etc

Humans have always tended to congregate and associate with like minded versions of them selves, however racism , which is an active thing is a learned behaviour largely imprinted on children by their parents

Without going off topic, there have been studies done showing that the fear of spiders and snakes ect.. is actually an animal instinct and not something learned growing up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Back on topic please. This thread is about Donald Trump's presidency.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Big news today in the USA is the category 3 hurricane Harvey thats going to hit the coast of Texas this evening. Heavy damage and flooding is expected.

Its going to be a big test for trump. I believe he hasn't even appointed anyone to head FEMA yet.
    (FEMA is the Federal Emergency Management Agency).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Sorry for my last post.
    "Bog news" obviously means "Big News" but because boards.ie doesn't function correctly on some platforms I'm unable to edit.
    Clicking on "edit post" does nothing.
    So my embarrassing spelling mistake is there to stay I'm afraid.

Fixed.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Mod: More constructive posts please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's quite sickening seeing Trump banning transgender Troops

Trump has officially pardoned that Sheriff in Arizona who was found guilty of racial profiling. I mean I'll laugh when he claims the "fake news" aren't reporting what he's saying or tweeting.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Trump has officially pardoned that Sheriff in Arizona who was found guilty of racial profiling.

The message that this pardon sends out is that there hasn't been a better time to be a racist in America in years. Could he not have even waited a while to let the furore over Charlottesville die down a bit instead of just throwing another gallon of petrol on the fire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Sebastian Gorka has apparently resigned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Headshot wrote: »
    It's quite sickening seeing Trump banning transgender Troops

His meaningless tweet a while ago or something new happen there?

Its sickening to watch him pay tribute to a war hero in McCain a little while ago also, while during the campaign stating he was not a war hero, as he was caught and he prefers his heroes to not get caught. No reason to add that, just felt like it. :)
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Trump has officially pardoned that Sheriff in Arizona who was found guilty of racial profiling. I mean I'll laugh when he claims the "fake news" aren't reporting what he's saying or tweeting.

Is anybody surprised?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Calina wrote: »
    Sebastian Gorka has apparently resigned.

Really ? Oh well that's cheered me up slightly. He came across as a horible person. Steven miller left for general Kelly to put maners on and tell the langer to shut up.

Zaph wrote: »
    The message that this pardon sends out is that there hasn't been a better time to be a racist in America in years. Could he not have even waited a while to let the furore over Charlottesville die down a bit instead of just throwing another gallon of petrol on the fire?

The message that sends is just building on his moral equivalency he mad last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

At most I would have thought Trump and his supporters to be at most accepting of racists but seeing their reaction to this has somehow managed to give me a worse view of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Was Mother Nature taking too much attention from him? The White House announces the pardon two hours after Arpaio's lawyer knew of it and just as the hurricane makes landfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Long Twitter threads drive me mad but this one about the career of Joe Arpaio is incredible: https://twitter.com/phoenixnewtimes/status/901263384087334914?s=09

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

His meaningless tweet a while ago or something new happen there?
    He's made the official request to Pentagon to indefinitely ban all trans people from the armed forces; the same idea that 56 generals told him was outright stupid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I am not a fan of pardons in general. If they're convicted of something, there's presumably something behind it. That said, if he's going to do such a thing, the timing is more related to the conviction: He was only just convicted, the pardon now keeps him out of jail instead of coming later, after he's jailed. Still, Arpaio is highly popular in conservative circles. If, say, Manning can get a pardon, so can Joe. Goose/gander and all that.
    Nody wrote: »
    He's made the official request to Pentagon to indefinitely ban all trans people from the armed forces; the same idea that 56 generals told him was outright stupid.

As for the transgender thing, for what it's worth, the 56 generals in question are not the ones running the military, and the latter are the ones who have been asking for a hold. http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/23/politics/us-military-chiefs-transgender-delay/index.html . They were not on board when Secretary Carter forced the issue, and they don't seem to have changed since.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As for the transgender thing, for what it's worth, the 56 generals in question are not the ones running the military, and the latter are the ones who have been asking for a hold. http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/23/politics/us-military-chiefs-transgender-delay/index.html . They were not on board when Secretary Carter forced the issue, and they don't seem to have changed since.
    This is only another repeat of don't ask, don't tell because there are hundreds of transgender people serving perfectly fine in the military as is and will be yet another blot on the military failing at the top due to personal rather than military values.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement