Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Fire and Aftermath RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

pangbang wrote: »
    When some media guy dies it should reverse all current human trends, for sure.

Climate change will reverse, India and China will cease all industrialisation, America comes back to the fold.

Politicians will become leaders, the first time since circa the last roman empire, rather than convenient mouthpieces to be led by emotional plebs.

People will change too, they will look beyond the obvious fact that distinct belief in political class is merely a matter of coincidence, and not shared idealism.

Murdoch biting the dust will hold back mass human migration, automation, stop unstoppable climate damage, create infinite resource for an unmanageable amount of people ..........and so on.

Or in other words, yeah, Corbyn is the answer. May is the answer, Murdoch dying is the answer.

"hearing nice things from someone far removed from the actual consequences of the things they talk about"......is the answer :rolleyes:

Whatever, Trevor. The world will wake up one day. And whats the conversation above got to do with the tower fire anyway?

lol The fact you had to type that huge litany all up there, it must mean it's got something to do with you anyways cuz

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

width:540px; height:250px" tabindex="1" dir="ltr">
    buried wrote: »
    lol The fact you had to type that huge litany all up there, it must mean it's got something to do with you anyways cuz

I'm sure you "laughed out loud"

I saw a bunch of a people rabbiting on about politics, and chipped in a two cent on politics.

Sorry I made your head hurt with that giant volume of material.

Tip for the top: Avoid libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Here's a tip for you pangbag, avoid Murdoch publications. And avoid my AH thread in a few months too when he pops his clogs. Becoz You won't fookin like it

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

pangbang wrote: »
    The world will wake up one day

I agree with you. But seriously, when will the world wake up??

buried wrote: »
    Here's a tip for you pangbag, avoid Murdoch publications. And avoid my AH thread in a few months when he pops his clogs. You won't like it

Why?

Will it a be an orgy of people **** over themselves that a new dawn for humanity is on the horizon?

Because I just got back from the future.....nothing will change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Candie wrote: »
    Well presumably you live somewhere in Ireland and not London so it's hardly surprising you haven't heard of him, is it?

He's not a new discovery to the people who have the power to vote him in or out and I can't see why you'd think he is.

Last time I looked this is an Irish website. I didn't say that I had never heard of him what makes you think that?

We are discussing things from an Irish perspective on this board. I think you may be coming at it from a different POV.

Be aware of your audience!

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I agree with you. But seriously, when will the world wake up??

It will wake up to reality in almost exactly 6 years and 4 months time, to the tune of "Nokia morning bells"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Do you know how many times Corbyn voted against the party whip?

Do you know how many times Corbyn has been PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Candie wrote: »
    I believe that Corbyn has the record for voting against the whip according to his conscience. Seriously if there is such a thing as a politician with integrity, Corbyn would be right up there.

I'm not terribly political myself, but my Grandfather has had many dealings with him and he's not an easily impressed man. He would consider Corbyn to be one of the most principled men he's ever known, and he doesn't hand out praise like that lightly.

I'd love to see Corbyn as PM, and if I'm wrong then I'm wrong. I don't think I am though.

Idealistacially id love to see Corbyn as GB PM. Don't think I'd have the balls to vote for that though. Thanks for your honesty, more of your type are needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

FTA69 wrote: »
    Here, I generally think all politicians are full of it but he's not. For years he's been totally consistent in his positions. I used to live in his constituency and every resident's group or local campaign group (i.e. genuine local people who graft away for the better) think he's sound. Put it this way, while the government were at a function shmoozing away with the apartheid regime ministers, he was outside getting arrested.

I agree with you about politicians in general, but he's the man as far as I'm concerned. At the very least he has integrity.

Did he or did he not brush off the concerns about child abuse in Islington that were brought to his attention? I'd be interested in your opinion since you're familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Hold the doors, popstar and 'voice of our time?' Lily Allen is on the case, her investigate skills via Rupert's press claim the number is around 150. Shocking if there's any truth in that, but lets wait for official sources to say.

Just waiting on further fire safety advice from that other wan Charlotte Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭Enzokk

If there is any truth to this story then its sickening.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/875470284656185344

So they could have had the "fire resistant" material for an extra £5000. The refurbishment cost £10m.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Wouldn't be surprised if they are holding back on the number dead. Dropping that 150 are dead when emotions are so high could well cause riots in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

But the day Corbyn lives in a tower block will be the day I'll believe his empathy.

The house with all the plants in the front garden is Corbyn's. It's not a tower block by any means but I think 'modest' would be an accurate, perhaps generous, descriptor. My bungalow is a mansion in comparison. The fact that London house prices have gone insane to the point where that little house is worth close to seven figures is no reflection on Corbyn. He moved into his house a long, long time ago and what his new neighbours are paying for their home is no indication of the existence of his empathy.
    x0wy8l.jpg

In fact if you look at Rightmove, you'll see that a privately let 2 bed flat on the 18th floor Grenfell Tower would have set you back nearly £28,000 a year!!!!!!! The fact that someone's neighbour is paying rent/mortgage payments that spiralling to crazy heights is no reflection on their circumstances.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-56441398.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Hold the doors, popstar and 'voice of our time?' Lily Allen is on the case, her investigate skills via Rupert's press claim the number is around 150. Shocking if there's any truth in that, but lets wait for official sources to say.

Just waiting on further fire safety advice from that other wan Charlotte Church.

I've just seen that on Facebook. She's going by figures police and firemen gave her, off the record, you know. :rolleyes:

Corbyn ''Seize the rich's property!'' and petitions to form a million-strong mob and ''force'' May out and ''allow Corbyn to be PM''.

It's all happening so much faster than I expected. Dark days ahead for the UK if it continues down this road. Read your history, people :(

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

Hold the doors, popstar and 'voice of our time?' Lily Allen is on the case, her investigate skills via Rupert's press
    I don't think Rupert owns The Mirror....yet
    Unfortunately her private yacht is out of WiFi range so she's unable to tweet her safety advice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

iguana wrote: »
    The house with all the plants in the front garden is Corbyn's. It's not a tower block by any means but I think 'modest' would be an accurate, perhaps generous, descriptor. My bungalow is a mansion in comparison. The fact that London house prices have gone insane to the point where that little house is worth close to seven figures is no reflection on Corbyn. He moved into his house a long, long time ago and what his new neighbours are paying for their home is no indication of the existence of his empathy.
    x0wy8l.jpg

The house next door (in pink) recently sold for £1M - seize property from the rich he said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

How many tower blocks have the flammable cladding.?I'm sure this question is being asked

There's been a lot of these refurbs

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Tories will be desperate, really desperate to avoid an election. Arlene will get whatever Arlene wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

GM228 wrote: »
    The house next door (in pink) recently sold for £1M - seize property from the rich he said?

If you bought a house during the recession and is now worth 10 time​s what it was, are you all of a sudden rich?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭josip

I need to report a post to the mods to ask nicely if we can get the last 5 pages cleaned up of all the OT stuff.
    So I'm reporting this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

GM228 wrote: »

Those houses look like council stock to me. Thatcher gave the right to buy in the 80's and a lot of folks found they had hit the jackpot because of the location.

Prior to privatisation most folks would have ,given a choice, avoided the lottery of council accomodation.

Possibly like folks in Grenfell Tower.

Council housing ,and the folks in it, had certain expectations of a care of duty,when they were council managed.

The management of these places is also now in private hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you bought a house during the recession and is now worth 10 time​s what it was, are you all of a sudden rich?

If I paid £100,000 and got £1M in return I'd consider myself fairly well off at the very least. Rich is a subjective definition - in my eyes I'd be rich with that much, but in any case the person who paid £1M is certainly richer than most of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Anyone see the tweet from the Firefighter who had to write his name on the back of his helmet because of the danger of personnel not coming back out of that building,alive?

The Sun asked if they could use the pic.

His response-

"Nope...not in your sh1trag." @crispymick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Anyone see the tweet from the Firefighter who had to write his name on the back of his helmet because of the danger of personnel not coming back out of that building,alive?

The Sun asked if they could use the pic.

His response-

"Nope...not in your sh1trag." @crispymick

his twitter is now shut down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

God love them, they look absolutely shattered, heroes the lot of them.

19059536_772442409580941_8192633815777986098_n.jpg?oh=e6db91675e5c438afd2fa8f1c52ba1e0&oe=599D4282

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

How some people survived that I don't know, the Towering Inferno film was very insignificant compared to the reality here. The story told by another poster on the thread about the woman running the bath and flooding her place and surviving was very touching.

GrenfellTowerFireAftermathJun2017_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-793684

People will have to do jail time for this

Unfathomable in 2017 that such a hazardous refurb is carried out

I hope every tower block in the UK comes under scrutiny because of this.

• Advertisement

I hope every tower block in the UK comes under scrutiny because of this.

The Tories might have to spend money on poor people

God forbid

Advertisement