Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Fire and Aftermath RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

devnull wrote: »
    Seeing the protests going on, right now in the office on Sky News, it's incredible how crazy it is.

However Theresa May has to carry some of the can here, it's no wonder that people are angry and feel that nobody cares about them, because Theresa May's willful dereliction of duty when it comes to leadership of the country gives off exactly that impression.

As someone who used to live in the UK the last few months have really shown how far it has fallen, politicians who are completely disconnected with the public and simply don't care about your average Joe on the street.

I was in London last week during the elections, and not one person my age that I knew, and very few from my parents generation were voting or routing for the Torys. If Theresa May had any doubts on her leadership the morning after the election, even if she was not sharing them, her reign could even be more short lived now.
    I tend to agree, hot sunny weather + lots of rent a gobs and media mixing it'll probably end up with some arseholes breaking windows.

People are looking really angry, and emotions are spilling over. Can't really blame some of them, but unfortunately, some of the rent a gobs will use it as an excuse to cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I hope that all the survivors grievances are tended to in a swift manner but rioting will not help anything. It will only bring more pain and misery to the community.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Just saw Theresa May's interview and once again repeating the same answers like a robot.

Asked why she was not there or met the families earlier this week and was avoiding the question.

She doesn't care about people.

She's just been destroyed on BBC and on Sky, she comes across as someone who simply doesn't care about anyone other than herself, it appears that the people who are suffering or lost loved ones does not matter, she's more interested in deflecting any possible damage of herself and her party.

She doesn't connect with people, she doesn't care about anyone whatsoever, to have someone like that as Prime Minister is truly shocking, she's not living in the real world just repeating the same thing over and over again whether it fits the question or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

She's out of her depth. Strikes me as a person too much aware of her own flightyness. Look how she campaigned for the 'remain' vote last year and then flips immediately to the other side when the vote was done. Living a lie. She has no Logos. And a leader with no semblance of truth or conviction of belief is no good for her or the people she is supposed to be leading. And she knows it, and so does everybody else. She should just get out before she becomes seriously ill.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Emotional stuff when they showed the messages on the wall. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The crowd around Kensington and Chelsea town hall seems to have dissipated for the most part.

Scratch that. Looks like it's starting to wind up again.

Here's the Interview with Theresa May:
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/875768501205475328

Non answering of questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

buried wrote: »
    She's out of her depth. Strikes me as a person too much aware of her own flightyness. Look how she campaigned for the 'remain' vote last year and then flips immediately to the other side when the vote was done. Living a lie. She has no Logos. And a leader with no semblance of truth or conviction of belief is no good for her or the people she is supposed to be leading. And she knows it, and so does everybody else. She should just get out before she becomes seriously ill.

She was promoted beyond her ability and her innate character - regardless of anything else a Prime Minister or President has to be able to reach out and connect - doesn't matter how faked it might be. She seems scared to do so or simply cannot do so. In that then she is probably genuine and true to herself but it's not what the people want in the 21st century. The other thing she cannot do is riff and react, it's all got to be prepared and scripted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's as if May was hired to act as a PM and relies far too much on the script rather than doing a bit of ad-lib.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Just saw Theresa May's interview and once again repeating the same answers like a robot.

Asked why she was not there or met the families earlier this week and was avoiding the question.

She doesn't care about people.

Same with Sadiq Khan.

Both of them are reading from scripts.

May is a dead woman walking politically. If she's not gone by Christmas, I would be surprised.

At least Sadiq Khan actually went out their and faced people yesterday

She was promoted beyond her ability and her innate character - regardless of anything else a Prime Minister or President has to be able to reach out and connect - doesn't matter how faked it might be. She seems scared to do so or simply cannot do so. In that then she is probably genuine and true to herself but it's not what the people want in the 21st century. The other thing she cannot do is riff and react, it's all got to be prepared and scripted.

Very true. That seems to be the case.

Least you would have expected from the Lord Mayor of London.

May is a disgrace though. You can bet if he were still PM, Cameron would have gone down there and met the people.

He had far more humanity about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

second march is heading to Parliment /Westminster calling for justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

She makes Donald look like the Dali Lama.

Throwing GBP 5million at it, is a start, but what about sit down and cup of tea with the community leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

May is a disgrace though. You can bet if he were still PM, Cameron would have gone down there and met the people.

Khan is the Mayor of London, not the Lord Mayor of London which is a different role - in the square mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

She makes Donald look like the Dali Lama.

Throwing GBP 5million at it, is a start, but what about sit down and cup of tea with the community leaders.

I was thinking she'd throw something out of her hat

They're prob planning the next move if tensions rise further

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I liked him. Yes he's a Tory but was far better than May

There'll be no trouble or rioting. At least I hope there won't. This is huge moment for all communities throughout Britain to stand up and join together to make sure ordinary people living in communities just like this one are treated with respect and decency, not just as stats or numbers to placate the flow of rotten dirty f**king money that has happened since Thatcher. The disgusting f**kers in the British establishment are probably hoping and praying there will be trouble just so it can deflect away from this absolute criminal horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I had him pegged as a New Labour luvvie, all image and no substance. turns out he actually has some bottle.

Must have known he was walking into a tornado of emotions but still did it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I think Corbyn has handled it well unlike May, and I wouldn't be a Corbyn fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yep I think tensions are pretty high in London at the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/eveningstandard/videos/1598760496834272/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

When you think about how much the UK spends each year on foreign aid, £5m is insulting. Heard a man in the news there saying they've nearly that much raised already in three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Jesus I watched that cluster f of an interview, she is worse than Thacher
    But I think Corbyn stoked things by saying that the rich should give up their empty mansions

Doltanian wrote: »
    I think Corbyn has handled it well unlike May, and I wouldn't be a Corbyn fan.

Neither am I, but he has more of a human touch than she will ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is it true that earlier someone said on tv they thought it was a "revenge attack" on muslims and this was a common rumour in the Muslim community??? If so, disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Yeah girl in a head scarf mouthing off. She actually made valid points until that.
    There seems to every race and creed living in that tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The problem with the protests is that watching them on Twitter it looks that they have been hijacked by the hard left.

Now don't get me wrong the people of Grenfell Tower have every right to be angry and I've shed tears listening to some of the stories during the last few days and people have the right to support them.

But why are hundreds, maybe thousands of people, marching through London calling for May to quit and calling for an end to Tory rule. Show me one shred of evidence that May or the Tories are any more responsible for this than any other British government since the tower was built in 1974. I just fear some are capitalising on this and given how raw feelings are that's actually quite dangerous.

It will also change the narrative in the media and take the focus away from the victims of the horrific tragedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah girl in a head scarf mouthing off. She actually made valid points until that.
    There seems to every race and creed living in that tower.

Agree. It clearly was a terrible accident as well. Fridge exploded and went up in flames.

Advertisement