Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Fire and Aftermath RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

She said also that they were trying to put mattresses and sheets etc for people to jump to, but the police pushed them back and said everything was under control.

It's actually a pretty decent idea in hindsight. A big pile of mattresses and cushions.

She lost control at the end though, saying it was revenge on Muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

She said also that they were trying to put mattresses and sheets etc for people to jump to, but the police pushed them back and said everything was under control.

It's actually a pretty decent idea in hindsight. A big pile of mattresses and cushions.

She lost control at the end though, saying it was revenge on Muslims.

If its the same woman, I saw her yesterday. She had no family or friends living there, just went along to see what was happening.

Of course the police pushed people back, there were flaming bits of the building falling, what if the building had collapsed? It makes perfect sense for there to be a cordon around it for public safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Ah I can see why that couldn't be condoned by the police - multiple people from multiple floors of a burning building jumping simultaneously onto a pile of extremely flammable material, some of the people jumping possibly on fire?

Disaster!

I'm not saying the police are wrong.
    Just that in hindsight the mattress plan may have saved a few lives.
    Nobody knew that the fire would spread so fast though, so fire brigade and police are blameless.

The lady fire commissioner said in 29 years of service she'd never seen anything like it.

Another guy, a reputable guy, said one jumper landed on a fire brigade officer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

bilston wrote: »
    The problem with the protests is that watching them on Twitter it looks that they have been hijacked by the hard left.

Now don't get me wrong the people of Grenfell Tower have every right to be angry and I've shed tears listening to some of the stories during the last few days and people have the right to support them.

But why are hundreds, maybe thousands of people, marching through London calling for May to quit and calling for an end to Tory rule. Show me one shred of evidence that May or the Tories are any more responsible for this than any other British government since the tower was built in 1974. I just fear some are capitalising on this and given how raw feelings are that's actually quite dangerous.

It will also change the narrative in the media and take the focus away from the victims of the horrific tragedy.
    I can think of 3

-Resisted pressure to fit sprinklers in tower blocks

-Sat on coroner's evidence that panels were a risk

-Failed to review building regs relating to fire safety

All this in the last number of years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

devnull wrote: »
    Here's the Interview with Theresa May:
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/875768501205475328

Non answering of questions.

She evades every ****ing question!! FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

how can anybody take the UK seriously with that clown May in charge, the woman is a liability at this stage and needs to be removed.

public confidence in her must be an all time low now after the last 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If they let people off for this I could see a repeat of the rioting from a couple of years back, the young and the poor are getting a bit p1ssed off over in the UK atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

bilston wrote: »
    The problem with the protests is that watching them on Twitter it looks that they have been hijacked by the hard left.

Now don't get me wrong the people of Grenfell Tower have every right to be angry and I've shed tears listening to some of the stories during the last few days and people have the right to support them.

But why are hundreds, maybe thousands of people, marching through London calling for May to quit and calling for an end to Tory rule. Show me one shred of evidence that May or the Tories are any more responsible for this than any other British government since the tower was built in 1974. I just fear some are capitalising on this and given how raw feelings are that's actually quite dangerous.

It will also change the narrative in the media and take the focus away from the victims of the horrific tragedy.

Ultimately, they are responsible for the regulations that govern the safe building and upkeep of high rise flats like this one. If such regulations are not in place (or are not enforced) and developers are enabled to use loopholes and cut corners in such a way that compromises safety, it'll come back to bite whoever's in charge as to why these loopholes exist.

Apparently, Corbyn tried to bring something like this in but was shouted down. If that turns out to be the case, and such laws could have prevented thus, then there'd better be a damn good reason as to why it was shouted down or those doing the shouting are going to look pretty callous.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Send In The Robots

From the first 3 or max 4 floors just maybe, after that not so much.

Be interesting to see if anyone in a similar situation has made a DIY parachute to create enough air drag to reduce impact (don't try this at home).

Bear in mind freejumpers only need 100 feet, but they use reinforced coated silk, it's smallish surface area compared to main 200sq ft canopies, but is designed specifically to act in airfoil/wing air distribution pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The marches in London were planned by the extreme Left before the fire. There are Facebook events and posts about a Million-strong mob to march in London and to force May out. I saw those posts days before the fire. Now they are using the fire as currency. With the exception of those who didn't already know about the plan, those taking part under the guise of wanting justice or standing with victims, are shameless liars.

The lady fire commissioner said in 29 years of service she'd never seen anything like it.

I know that its really not important, but why did you say the lady fire commissioner, rather than just the fire commissioner? Are there two of them, a male and female?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Ballstein

I think the reason the authorities are not giving any official estimates regarding the amount of people actually missing is they're genuinely terrified of mass civil disorder. Today gave an inckling of what's starting to build and with the weekend here, good weather promised and shock being replaced by anger, this is far from over.

From the first 3 or max 4 floors just maybe, after that not so much.

Be interesting to see if anyone in a similar situation has made a DIY parachute to create enough air drag to reduce impact (don't try this at home).

Bear in mind freejumpers only need 100 feet, but they use reinforced coated silk, it's smallish surface area compared to main 200sq ft canopies, but is designed specifically to act in airfoil/wing air distribution pattern.
    Ive seen homemade parachutes mentioned in a few reports from London:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/eerie-first-pictures-inside-grenfell-10621377

Tbh Ive watched a lot of sick sh1t on the internet from Rotten.com to ISIS videos over the years but the people trying to escape the fires on 9/11 are the only things that really affect me, there are videos you dont see on the news of people crawling around the outside of the towers a mile up in the sky, its such a horrible way to go.

Read in the press that it would only have cost an extra 5k to use a composite plastic rather than the foam variation.
    The particular foam becomes flammable at very high temperatues, and to top it off emits cyanide when burnt.

The owner of the cladding company has 2.5 in tax avoidance schemes according to the mail. This story just gets worse by the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Read in the press that it would only have cost an extra 5k to use a composite plastic rather than the foam variation.
    The particular foam becomes flammable at very high temperatues, and to top it off emits cyanide when burnt.

The owner of the cladding company has 2.5 in tax avoidance schemes according to the mail. This story just gets worse by the hour.
    Not only that but the Tories have been sitting on reports documenting fire safety issues

Theres a video going round by one of the first people out on the night and the fire shoots up the outside of the building like it was covered in petrol.

Thargor wrote: »
    Ive seen homemade parachutes mentioned in a few reports from London:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/eerie-first-pictures-inside-grenfell-10621377 Tbh Ive watched a lot of sick sh1t on the internet....

Best simply not to watch any of that stuff.

But as a idea of last resort, there is one common material that might just suffice. Tents and specifically their flysheets.

These are designed to keep together at circa 100mph with reinforced rubber end fittings. Also made from light nylon. Often include paracord too.

Ideally you'd need three of these flysheets and importantly bound and with some form of harness as inital wind fill would be a signifcant g-force.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

muddypaws wrote:
    I know that its really not important, but why did you say the lady fire commissioner, rather than just the fire commissioner? Are there two of them, a male and female?

It's only acceptable to use a female specific title when they sound awesome. Fire commisionatrix.

Thargor wrote: »
    Theres a video going round by one of the first people out on the night and the fire shoots up the outside of the building like it was covered in petrol.

Yes that's what one commentator said when a very similar thing happend to a building in Melbourne no too long ago. That was on one of the major news channels on the night, but unlikely to be shown again.

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »

Fair enough point. She is the first female fire commissioner in London though.
    Firefighters are generally male, so you'd assume the commissioner is male too. I know it's a little sexist.

Yes that's what one commentator said when a very similar thing happend to a building in Melbourne no too long ago. That was on one of the major news channels on the night, but unlikely to be shown again.

Google "mermoz tower fire roubaix, france 2012".
    Theres a video on YouTube.
    Small fire on balcony spreads up the entire facade in just a couple of minutes. Videos of Dubai and Germany. That stuff is lethal. It seems more flammable than wood!

It'll be banned across Europe in weeks Id imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Saw some footage of protesters inside a council building on RTE tonight. Lot of phones waved about. Looks like people were so incensed they put recording the scene a priority over simply being there.

Ballstein wrote: »
    I think the reason the authorities are not giving any official estimates regarding the amount of people actually missing is they're genuinely terrified of mass civil disorder. Today gave an inckling of what's starting to build and with the weekend here, good weather promised and shock being replaced by anger, this is far from over.

it's because they don't know. That's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

It's almost like people want answers BEFORE any investigation has taken place!? It's not like the fire was planned ffs!!!??? It looks like a tragic accident. It's going to take TIME to find out exactly what happened.

The protest thing is Sky News' wet dream imo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bubblypop wrote: »
    it's because they don't know. That's why.

In fairness,I reckon they do know.I guarantee that if any resident owed the authorities a tenner they'd be found fairly quickly.
    Welfare,revenue even the post office would have records of any adults living there. It's a modern world where records of everyone are kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Jesus I watched that cluster f of an interview, she is worse than Thacher
    But I think Corbyn stoked things by saying that the rich should give up their empty mansions

The Tory's won't change leader until this blows over, if the fkuc up of an election didn't finish her this will the ignorant Bint

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

You can buy 'last resort' parachutes for people who work, or live, in highrise buildings.

https://skwawkbox.org/2017/06/16/video-govt-puts-d-notice-gag-on-real-grenfell-death-toll-nationalsecurity/amp/

Other outlets reported a d-notice was applied to control information to quell anger and unrest.
    It's since been reported as rumour but still, I wasn't completely bonkers.

"Or is the Tory government inflating its own party interests into a national security issue in order to control the flow of information that will damage the Tory government and party, allowing it to ‘drip-feed’ a slow increase in the number of confirmed deaths in order to manage public outrage?"

I pretty much said this. Lily Allen implied it.

It's backfired anyway cos the protesters were chanting "not 17", they wanted a real figure.

• Advertisement

https://skwawkbox.org/2017/06/16/video-govt-puts-d-notice-gag-on-real-grenfell-death-toll-nationalsecurity/amp/

Other outlets reported a d-notice was applied to control information to quell anger and unrest.
    It's since been reported as rumour but still, I wasn't completely bonkers.

"Or is the Tory government inflating its own party interests into a national security issue in order to control the flow of information that will damage the Tory government and party, allowing it to ‘drip-feed’ a slow increase in the number of confirmed deaths in order to manage public outrage?"

I pretty much said this. Lily Allen implied it.

It's backfired anyway cos the protesters were chanting "not 17", they wanted a real figure.

That link says NO D notice has been issued :confused:

Advertisement