Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

airbnb again

Options
  • 14-06-2017 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Sorry ... another airbnb question!

Can any experienced airbnb hosts especially in rural areas tell me what bookings are like late autumn/winter/early spring?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This is going to be different depending on location. Some more touristy places like near/on the coast would have more all year appeal than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭crunchy62

Just raising this topic again. I've just converted part of my house to a separate 2 bed apartment and ready to let. I'm in a good area for bnb but I looked at the calendar for a few airbnbs in the area and they all look empty for the next few months! Is this just that the calendars aren't updated or can it really be this bad this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

crunchy62 wrote: »
    Is this just that the calendars aren't updated or can it really be this bad this time of year?
    You say you're rural. How rural are you? KM's to the nearest city/Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

the_syco wrote: »
    You say you're rural. How rural are you? KM's to the nearest city/Dublin?

Km’s to nearest city isn’t the whole story, e.g. Dingle is a long way from any of the cities but I’ll bet it does better than almost anywhere in the country.

Op Location and the quality of your listing will be crucial. Make sure you have a clear and accurate description of the property with good pictures. The more extras like WiFi etc that you can provide the better.!

If your property is in a place where people don’t necessarily want / need to visit then there is probably nothing anybody here can do for you. Is there a relatively good tourism sector where you are set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mickeyk wrote: »
    Km’s to nearest city isn’t the whole story, e.g. Dingle is a long way from any of the cities but I’ll bet it does better than almost anywhere in the country.
    If I asked KM's to the nearest city/Dublin/tourist spot/etc, I'd still be missing something on the list.

OP; consider that the nearby AirBnB's know this is the quite period, and thus capitalize during the warmer months.

Also, keep an eye on local tourist sh|te, anything within 30 minutes drive, such as small festivals, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

crunchy62 wrote: »
    Just raising this topic again. I've just converted part of my house to a separate 2 bed apartment and ready to let.
    Have you sorted out the planning yet?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104756520

Or the fire safety?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103801344

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭crunchy62

Dublin airport - 30 mins

Racecourses, Exhibition centre, Golf courses, Kildare Village, National stud, Japanese gardens, Glendalough all within easy driving distance.

I think I need to ask the question more directly towards anyone here who does airbnb outside of city locations. Do you get many bookings during the autumn/winter/early spring months? The airbnb calendars for other airbnbs in the area look empty. Some have all dates crossed off but look more like maybe they don't bother letting over this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In a location like that, I can't see anything happening before tourist season starts on Paddy's Day. Even then, I can't imagine it being busy this side of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You'd be better off renting it through Rent a room (assuming it's still fully connected etc.). 14K tax free is going to need something like 20K+ in airbnb bookings with way more hassle and the potential to require planning in the very near future.

Edit: on top of your other planning issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

MOD: Get planning permission before you look for more help.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement