Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school teaching

Options
  • 14-06-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

My daughter who has just finished transition year is trying to pick her subjects for the leaving cert. Unfortunately the careers guidance in the school is more or less non existent so we are trying to do some research.

She would like to study to be a secondary school teacher in English and Religion. What I am trying to establish is does she need to do a science subject in the leaving cert?

Another question, she originally wanted to go on to be a home economics teacher but has been told it's a lot harder to get into?
    If anyone can recommend a decent website or place I could even call I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Home Ec teacher training intake is growing, so don't dismiss it.

The 2016 cut-off points were as follows:

+ Economics = 415*
    + RE = 420*
    + Irish = 425*
    + Biology = 465*

http://www2.cao.ie/points/lvl8_16.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please make sure she has a realistic idea of the jobs situation before embarking on this.

spurious wrote: »
    Please make sure she has a realistic idea of the jobs situation before embarking on this.
    Definitely. English and religion aren't very sought after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Worth having a browse through Qualifax , a lot of information there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

spurious wrote: »

And the financial situation too. Every year I speak to a NQT who cannot believe their take home pay.

Advertisement