Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trampoline options

Options
  • 14-06-2017 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

</script>1_textarea" rows="10" cols="60" style="display:block; width:540px; height:250px" tabindex="1" dir="ltr">We're considering buying a trampoline for 3yr old, for the fun of it but also because it was recommended by Dr to help with strengthening our daughter's leg muscles etc (long story, but seems to be what is needed at the mo).
    Currently looking at this one in Argos.
    Sportspower 8ft Trampoline With Folding Enclosure. Eur 129
    616/4469

Just wondering if any boardsies have experience with this or other models (we wouldn't want bigger than 8ft), or any general guidance/ feedback?

Also there seems to be 2 accessory sets at different prices, but no info as to why they are different.

Eur 28.99
    Eur 52.99

Anybody know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Just wondering if any boardsies have experience with this or other models (we wouldn't want bigger than 8ft), or any general guidance/ feedback?

I've heard of plenty of injuries to children from trampolines, not even from falling off but from the force exerted on their limbs. Fractures.

http://www.independent.ie/life/family/parenting/trampoline-injuries-on-the-rise-how-to-keep-the-kids-safe-and-prevent-a-trip-to-ae-this-summer-34773981.html

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    We're considering buying a trampoline for 3yr old, for the fun of it but also because it was recommended by Dr to help with strengthening our daughter's leg muscles etc (long story, but seems to be what is needed at the mo).
    Currently looking at this one in Argos.
    Sportspower 8ft Trampoline With Folding Enclosure. €129
    616/4469

Also there seems to be 2 accessory sets at different prices, but no info as to why they are different.
    €28.99
    €52.99
    Anybody know?

Hey. Your links don't work for me but fyi ALDI selling an 8ft trampoline with enclosure tomorrow for €100.

I've just found a great Specialbuy from Aldi! 8FT Trampoline with Enclosure for just €99.99. Check it out: https://www.aldi.ie/p/070875158220700

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I saw that link in a thread the other day, was unsure about the quality of an Aldi offering. I've bought and used plenty of stuff from Aldi, but not sure it's something to take any sort of risk on. Also, it'll probably be one if those things they'll get 3 of in each store and you'll need to queue overnight to get one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Aldi only holds 50kg. Others are double that.

I've heard of plenty of injuries to children from trampolines, not even from falling off but from the force exerted on their limbs. Fractures.

http://www.independent.ie/life/family/parenting/trampoline-injuries-on-the-rise-how-to-keep-the-kids-safe-and-prevent-a-trip-to-ae-this-summer-34773981.html

I know, and I am slightly wary of this, but we have been advised by a doctor that it would be great for strengthening her muscles to help her cope with hypermobility (loose ligaments etc)which has just been diagnosed,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

As it's something that will last you a long time, I'd spend the few quid extra to make sure you get a decent one. We got one from Smyths a few years ago and it still gets used practically every day. It would be a great purchase for your daughter. Regarding accessories, just make sure you get a good surrounding netting so she doesn't fall off - this is the main cause of injuries. And take the time to put it put together securely at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My son has the same condition. We were also recommended a trampoline but a mini one.
    We don't have the space for a big one so this suited us and I was also concerned about him getting an injury so another bonus. We got this one in Symths:

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/trampolines/trampolines/junior-trampoline-with-handle/p/155856

He uses it most days, maybe only 10mins here and there but it all helps.

We were also told to bring him swimming but there is no public pool handy for us so that was a non runner. Hopefully we can get him doing that down the line when he's on school.

33elmo wrote: »
    My son has the same condition. We were also recommended a trampoline but a mini one.
    We don't have the space for a big one so this suited us and I was also concerned about him getting an injury so another bonus. We got this one in Symths:

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/trampolines/trampolines/junior-trampoline-with-handle/p/155856

He uses it most days, maybe only 10mins here and there but it all helps.

We were also told to bring him swimming but there is no public pool handy for us so that was a non runner. Hopefully we can get him doing that down the line when he's on school.

Thanks, had looked at the mini ones, but wasn't sure if it would be much use; I'm also somehow more nervous of those because I think she's be likely to fall off. Stability is a bit of an issue in general, she falls over walking, running, and sometimes just while standing. To be honest, we'd started thinking she was just doing it for attention :(
    Also, looks like our 6 month old will have the same issues, so thinking maybe just having a trampoline in the garden for them as they grow could be good. No decision yet.

We keep wanting to bring her swimming, but like yourselves there's nowhere that convenient, and the last few times we tried, daughter was scared of the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WannaBbride

I forgot to log in the last time (33elmo).

When my son was about 10 months we were told he might not walk until he was two. He still couldn't sit up at 1 year. But we religiously did all the physio they showed us. I joined a local gym for 3 months just to use the pool. I HATE swimming myself but brought him at least twice a week and pulled in all the baby sitting favours for my daughter at home. I would spend at least 30 minutes walking up and down the pool holding him and kinda swishing him side to side and that made him kick his legs a lot. I don't think either of us particularly enjoyed it but it definitely made a big difference. See if there is anything you can do there even if its just for a short time to see if it helps.

We also got special insoles for his shoes to help with stability when walking - has that been mentioned to you at all? That is another thing that helped enormously. He was walking by about 18 months I would say and had been cruising for a bit before that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WannaBbride

I forgot to say aswell, my son was scared the first few times too but he gradually got used to it. I brought some toys from the bath at home and we played with them in the kiddies pool first and then moved into the big pool for a few minutes and did that a few times until he got more used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Maybe look at one that is buried into the ground. A pain to bury but less than a foot off the ground incase of a fall

Advertisement