Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Internet/tv

Options
  • 14-06-2017 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am sharing with 3 people we have internet plus tv for a total of around 100.
    We have been payed split by 4, plus we payed 160 for the year of tv.
    Myself and another guy never watched for a minute tv and we don't want that.
    I told to the guy who own the bill we should change the contract, he always postpone.

Now the question is: what is the right thing to do?
    I am kind of annoyed to keep paying 25 for internet plus sky and whatever.

is it ok if I tell to the guy I am going to pay just my part for internet?
    should be internet 50 euro + 50 tv.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

No. If you start dividing every service in the house by how much you use it it will turn into a mess which is what you could start here. And anyway the tv package probably gets you cheaper internet as it's a package deal not just a tv contract and a separate internet one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

25 is fairly cheap anyway. There is an inherent saving on the whole to do a bundle and split it amongst everyone and you've already agreed to this set up. My suggestion is to pay the 25 for the agreed contract length and at renewal time you discuss between yourselves what the fairest approach is, it might even work out cheaper.

Looking at Sky's website, you can get their basic TV package for ~30/month. You can also get broadband separately for as low as 30/month. If you each split the broadband cost that's only 7.50 each, and for the two people who watch TV it's an extra 15 each so 22.50 which is less than they're paying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

it has been 1 year where inn 3 people didn't want tv and we payed just because one of them wanted it.

now it is time to renewal time, and tbh just internet could be cheaper then 50, like 40..we are paying kind of 50/60/month plus 160year just for the tv.

i really think it is not fair..
    you want tv with full packages? you pay

Blacktie. wrote: »
    No. If you start dividing every service in the house by how much you use it it will turn into a mess which is what you could start here. And anyway the tv package probably gets you cheaper internet as it's a package deal not just a tv contract and a separate internet one.

that's not true..
    that's just something someone wants, not everyone. let's say someone wants a different subscription, then everyone needs to pay!?
    it doent make sense.

danko82 wrote: »
    it has been 1 year where inn 3 people didn't want tv and we payed just because one of them wanted it.

now it is time to renewal time, and tbh just internet could be cheaper then 50, like 40..we are paying kind of 50/60/month plus 160year just for the tv.

i really think it is not fair..
    you want tv with full packages? you pay

So all of you sit down and work out a solution. Research some options for costs on bundles and separate contracts ahead of time to present and get a consensus on the next year's internet and tv bill. This should be a discussion between everyone not an ultimatum. You will only get your housemate to agree in a non-confrontational manner. Demanding what is fair will back him into a corner and may entrench him in his position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

do you like where you are? this kind of pettiness will divide the household quite badly.It's 25 euro a month and will hardly kill you. If push comes to shove you could maybe just agree that the person who watches Tv pays the 160 for the TV on his own and you keep sharing the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Assuming the 160 per year is the TV licence which should definitely be split anyway

well we said all together we were looking to change subscriptions.
    he needed to do that as he own the contract.
    he postponed postponed postponed..
    12.5month *12 + 160/4=40 = 190 euro year..

There is ONE person watching TV. The licenses should be paid by him. However, that means you are going to be in a situation where you can't use the living room (I presume the TV is there) as he paid for the license. Move TV to his room.
    Split the rest of the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

Sometimes to keep the peace, its better to just pay these things. Your talking approx €3.50 per week.
    Ive done a house share so its speaking from experience.

What about when you do 4 washes per week but the others only do 1. If you have 2 showers per day using the water and others only have 1. When you have the heating on because your cold but no one else is cold. Its all swings and roundabouts for these kind of things and they are the kind of things you have to put up with in a house share if you agreed when moving in the costs.

• Advertisement

Basic tv packs I think should be shared, I've rarely if ever seen a person not to use tv some of the time. Sports etc should be paid by the person who wants it.

I used to pay the full amount for sky sports but divided the basic pack by 3 when house sharing as I wanted the sports and no one else did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

The 160 TV Licence is for both television and computer screens now, so that definitely has to be shared.

As for the rest of it, I think you're being quite petty OP.

There is ONE person watching TV. The licenses should be paid by him. However, that means you are going to be in a situation where you can't use the living room (I presume the TV is there) as he paid for the license. Move TV to his room.
    Split the rest of the costs.

TV Licence is for all screens in the house, including laptops and phone etc.

danko82 wrote: »
    well we said all together we were looking to change subscriptions.
    he needed to do that as he own the contract.
    he postponed postponed postponed..
    12.5month *12 + 160/4=40 = 190 euro year..

You need to take the TV licence fee out of that equation.

I presume you're looking at some kind of screen if you want the internet?

pilly wrote: »
    TV Licence is for all screens in the house, including laptops and phone etc.

nope.

If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it. Failure to produce evidence of a television licence to an inspector can result in a court appearance and on conviction, you can receive a substantial fine. People who have been fined and who have breached court orders directing them to pay their television licence can be imprisoned.

You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, the computer must not be able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

I believe they have been talking about expanding the TV licence to include computers but that isn't a legal requirement as of yet.

I believe they have been talking about expanding the TV licence to include computers but that isn't a legal requirement as of yet.

It won't be long.

pilly wrote: »
    It won't be long.

That may be so but it isn't what you said. Nevertheless, the OP and their housemates should come to a mutual solution on their own without having to check who owes for the TV licence under the legislation, current or future.

Advertisement