Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodge another persons cheque?

Options
  • 14-06-2017 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

My dad doesn't have a bank account and received a cheque from the HSE today it's marked as & Co. I'm wondering if it's possible for him to sign it and I'll lodge it to my account and if so can I use the lodgement machines? or do I need to speak to someone directly? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Afternoon Cb9, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here today. 

If the cheque is crossed or marked as 'A/C payee only' then it can only be lodged to an account in the same name as on the cheque. If this is the case and your father does not have a bank account, please ask him to contact the sender to arrange an alternative method of payment. 

I hope this helps and if you need anything else, please let me know. 

Elaine  

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Cb9

Good Afternoon Cb9, 

If the cheque is crossed or marked as 'A/C payee only' then it can only be lodged to an account in the same name as on the cheque. If this is the case and your father does not have a bank account, please ask him to contact the sender to arrange an alternative method of payment. 

Elaine  
    It's not marked as A/C payee only, It's marked as '& Co.' Is this type of cheque possible for him to sign it and I'll lodge it to my account and if so can I use the lodgement machines? or do I need to speak to someone directly?

Cb9 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon Cb9, 

Elaine  
    It's not marked as A/C payee only, It's marked as '& Co.' Is this type of cheque possible for him to sign it and I'll lodge it to my account and if so can I use the lodgement machines? or do I need to speak to someone directly?
    Good Afternoon Cb9, 

If the cheque is not crossed or is not marked as 'A/c payee only' then your father can endorse the cheque by signing the back of it. This will then enable the cheque to be lodged to your account over the counter in branch. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Good Afternoon Cb9, 

Elaine  
    Good Afternoon Cb9, 

If the cheque is not crossed or is not marked as 'A/c payee only' then your father can endorse the cheque by signing the back of it. This will then enable the cheque to be lodged to your account over the counter in branch. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 
    So I can't lodge it with the lodgement machine?

EDIT: The cheque is crossed but doesn't have 'A/C payee only' between the lines only '& Co.' I'd heard from a friend my dad could endorse the cheque in this situation but wanted to make sure. Like the second example in this image.

Good Afternoon Cb9, 

Elaine  
    Good Afternoon Cb9, 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

EDIT: The cheque is crossed but doesn't have 'A/C payee only' between the lines only '& Co.' I'd heard from a friend my dad could endorse the cheque in this situation but wanted to make sure. Like the second example in this image.
    Thanks for coming back to us here. 

As the cheque is crossed I'm afraid it can only be lodged to an account in the same name of whom the cheque is written to. In this case, it can only be lodged to an account in your fathers name and it's not possible to endorse the cheque to anyone else. If he'd like, he can open an account with us easily online here today. 

Alternatively, he would need to contact the sender to arrange an alternative method of payment. 

I hope this helps clarify your query and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Advertisement

Good Afternoon Cb9, 

Elaine  
    Good Afternoon Cb9, 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Thanks for coming back to us here. 

As the cheque is crossed I'm afraid it can only be lodged to an account in the same name of whom the cheque is written to. In this case, it can only be lodged to an account in your fathers name and it's not possible to endorse the cheque to anyone else. If he'd like, he can open an account with us easily online here today. 

Alternatively, he would need to contact the sender to arrange an alternative method of payment. 

I hope this helps clarify your query and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 
    So Bank of Ireland has different rules than other banks regarding cheque lodgement? as far as I know a cheque crossed with & Co. means it can only be lodged into an account, not cashed. Only cheques crossed with 'A/C payee only' must be lodged into an account in the payees name.

From the Ask AIB boards form:
    A cheque which is crossed with 'a/c payee only' must be lodged directly into the bank account of the named payee. However, if a cheque is crossed with 'not negotiable' or '& co' it may be endorsed by the payee, which means it can be signed over to the benefit of a third party on the reverse of the cheque. It can then be lodged to the bank account of that third party.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057449604

From howbankingworks.ie :
    "& Co" or "Not Negotiable - generally interpreted as requiring that the cheque should be lodged to an account

"Account Payee Only" -requires that the cheque should be lodged to an account in the name of the payee

"Account payee only - XXX Bank, YYYY Branch - requires that the cheque be lodged to an account in the name of the payee in the specified branch

http://www.howbankingworks.ie/index.php/banking-instruments/cheques

Apologies for any confusion on your query Cb9, 

As we are unable to open attachments here, we cannot view the exact details on the individual cheque.  Just to clarify,

• If a cheque is marked with 'Account Payee only',  it can only be lodged to an account in the same name as on the cheque.
    • If the cheque is crossed, with two parallel lines, it must be lodged to a bank account and cannot be cashed. The account can be in any name however, it must be endorsed by the person who's named on the cheque by signing the reverse.
    [*]

Please be assured that Bank of Ireland follows the same cheque clearing rules as all other Irish banks.

Thank you, 
    Elaine 

Apologies for any confusion on your query Cb9, 

As we are unable to open attachments here, we cannot view the exact details on the individual cheque.  Just to clarify,

• If a cheque is marked with 'Account Payee only',  it can only be lodged to an account in the same name as on the cheque.
    • If the cheque is crossed, with two parallel lines, it must be lodged to a bank account and cannot be cashed. The account can be in any name however, it must be endorsed by the person who's named on the cheque by signing the reverse.

[*]

Please be assured that Bank of Ireland follows the same cheque clearing rules as all other Irish banks.

Thank you, 
    Elaine 
    [*]
    Okay, then I can lodge the cheque. Can I lodge it using the lodgement machine?
    Thanks for getting back to me.

Hi Cb9, 

You should be able to lodge this directly at an LATM with your card. 

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 

Hi Cb9, 

You should be able to lodge this directly at an LATM with your card. 

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 
    Okay, Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement