Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

1757677787981»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes- have a wander up to The Quays or Sprucefield and you'll find they're integrated into the actual stores where once they were stand alone entities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Time to unsticky this me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭hold my beer

It must be a big enough unit in Tallaght. Wonder how much the rent is a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Wondering where would be a good place to start a "now that Argos is gone, where can I buy X" thread might go?

I'm looking for some rechargeable batteries that I could have bought in Argos, but now I don't know if any B&M stores stock them near me!

Especially cos I'm not in Dublin, so options are limited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Supermarkets carry batteries. Not 100% on rechargeable ones but my dunnes has a massive battery display so I would be surprised if they didn't.

I did a quick search on my local builders providers website and they have a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭micks_address

amazon ship them as well here... at least i got some at some point this year! i know they can be strange about shipping batteries overseas

Oh good call on supermarkets!

I didn't think any would have rechargeables, but Tesco do. They are just a slightly smaller capacity.

And yes, Woodies and Halfords seem to have them too nearby!

But my favourite place to find them from an online search is in Boots, which may be the easiest to get to for me :)

Yes, they do! I was just about to buy them from the site last night, but I thought I'd ask on here for local places first.

Well, I say local, but they are all chains really :D

Only place I found that does them, but not near me is DID, that's about 70 mins to the Galway or Thurles ones from Limerick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Mr Price, is good for some stuff, but the last 8 items I bought were from amazon, sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

It's the one branch not listed on the agent's website, so most likely has been taken back by the centre owners.

Here's 3 examples

Dundrum is an eyewatering €675,000/year, €115,900 service charge + €109,000 rates. (13,000 sq ft)

Whereas Liffey Valley retail park is €250,000, €23,500 service charge and €19,911 rates (9800 sq ft)

Ilac is €250k rent, 35k service charge & 49k rates (10,000 sq ft)

Amazon ship all packages that are not fulfilled in Baldonnel from UK to Ireland in their own trucks and dropped to An Post and therefore they are not subject to the international air freight battery restrictions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Too late now obviously but the big kid in me always wondered how big the store room in an Argos (even better an Extra!) were, compared to the retail space customers see.

Take Dundrum for example, presumably if you took out the collection point wall/counter the actual unit would go back a fair bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Not overly big tbh. Jervis has 2 levels you could see that by the conveyor belt.

Shelves would remind you of the IKEA self storage area. Floor to ceiling. It wasn't overwhelmingly big. However they are ridiculously well organised so the space is used to maximum potential.

Deliveries were fairly frequent too so I suppose they operated on a "just in time" model rather than carrying huge amount of stock, certainly for the bigger items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

This and the other thread still a sticky? 👻

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭lau1247

Try Ikea if you are ever up that way, their rechargeable batteries are supposed to be very good quality for the price you pay. They do deliver but can be costly unless you buy a good bit to spread that cost out.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Try and avoid the delivery option if at all possible from IKEA. If you really have to, do what I did: I contacted the TAXI outfit ( may have been CAB 2000 ) from the store in ballymun to bring my carpet roll home with me in a taxi: If I had got delivery from IKEA I would have paid IKEA the tidy little sum of €50. As it was, I paid the taxi driver to carry myself and the carpet back home €35.

I ended up getting 4 branded ones in Boots for €18

Then when I got home, remembered I had 8 Amazon brand ones in the drawer already, that I paid £15 for.

Though they were a few years old, bought originally in Dec 2020 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but this is the most recent Argos thread I found.

Just a heads up that I'm letting the checkargos domain expire (I'll save my €15 for some bargain I don't need 😅) so if anything pops up on it from here on in, it's not me.

I've no idea what someone would put on it or why anyone would visit the url anymore but I thought it would be best to let people know to not trust it if it does happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Doodah7

checkargos was a brilliant site. It was more useful than Argos' own website and was a great resource until Argos eventually changed their code.

Many thanks for making it.

Thanks for the memories witnessmenow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

sorry to bump an old thread but I need to return an item to Argos and cant find the receipt. Ive tried logging into Argos.ie to find the order but cant get in and resetting the password doesnt send me a reset email.

Can others still login to argos.ie or did they shut all Irish accounts? Im just not sure if I used my account to buy it or just checked out as a guest. I cant find any emails relating to the order either, except for one where the item was 3 weeks late and I emailed customer service about it. Any ideas on what to do and if they shut down Irish accounts, can anyone try logging in to theirs and let me know if you can still see your previous orders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We are lucky still to have them in the North. Very handy store which gets plenty of money out of me over the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭beachhead

I think you are well past the date for returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,167 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can I ask if you are reserving something for click and collect do you need a valid UK mobile to receive the text or can you just add any random number and your email address? I can't remember if it just texted you when item was ready in stock or if it also emailed you to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Any number and email was fine the last time I used them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not sure. You get email and text, not sure if you even have to register a phone number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,167 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cool, once the email works it should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I was wondering would a newry run be viable. Even to get a few cheap casio watches. It's 11.60 off peak return from Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

No item was purchased Jan 2023 but not delivered till March 23. They've agreed to a return but I need to find the receipt & order no. To make matters worse I paid via Ulster Bank and now they're closed too so I can't prove the purchase that way

Advertisement