Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offseason 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Opening week and Christmas Day games announced:

DG5oSEJVoAAH81x.jpg
    DG5oSEGV0AEOhGn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Must be the first time in about 10 years that the Bulls don't play on Christmas Day. Sparing me the torture this year! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Celtics v 76ers is the London game this year, finally a game I'd be interested in attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Celtics v 76ers is the London game this year, finally a game I'd be interested in attending.
    Any idea the best way about getting tickets?
    I know a Donegal team go over every year and have a package for flights, accommodation and game ticket. Just don't know wh oto go through for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

killwill wrote: »
    Any idea the best way about getting tickets?
    I know a Donegal team go over every year and have a package for flights, accommodation and game ticket. Just don't know wh oto go through for it!

https://londongame.nba.com/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Klay Thompson has made the biggest move this off season....quick google search should make a lot of people envious lol

Drawing a blank....details please! Via PM if required!

Sad to see Boston are one of the teams that choose to have jersey patch next year. :(:mad:

I'm surprised given the tradition of the organisation and it's not like they actually need the money. The GE patch is unsightly to me - as are all the jersey brandings btw, but seeing as some teams haven't done it, I thought they would be the most likely team not to go down this route in the league.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/meet-the-6ft-10in-teenager-from-dublin-trying-to-reach-the-nba-1.3187423

A little light on detail (as in what level he's playing at and what colleges are interested) but hopefully it's not grossly exaggerated. Would be great if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/meet-the-6ft-10in-teenager-from-dublin-trying-to-reach-the-nba-1.3187423

A little light on detail (as in what level he's playing at and what colleges are interested) but hopefully it's not grossly exaggerated. Would be great if so.

He is currently playing at a pretty low level by american high school standards but its interesting that St Johns is mentioned as one of his offers. Thats a pretty well regarded basketball program. Metta World Peace played there aswell as Harkless so they can breed NBA talent there.

Whatever happens he is pretty well setup for life with the opportunites attending that High school gives him and college offers coming in already.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    He is currently playing at a pretty low level by american high school standards but its interesting that St Johns is mentioned as one of his offers. Thats a pretty well regarded basketball program. Metta World Peace played there aswell as Harkless so they can breed NBA talent there.

Whatever happens he is pretty well setup for life with the opportunites attending that High school gives him and college offers coming in already.

Ah...it was more than is...St. John's have fallen off a cliff though in recent years. They're not a destination programme by any means.

And I'm showing my age here by saying you forgot to mention Dream Teamer Chris Mullin (who's also the current coach).

• Advertisement

Ah...it was more than is...St. John's have fallen off a cliff though in recent years. They're not a destination programme by any means.

And I'm showing my age here by saying you forgot to mention Dream Teamer Chris Mullin (who's also the current coach).

God yeah I didnt scroll far enough down to see him. I vaguely remember Mullin in the NBA towards the end of his career but his achievements speak for themselves. St Johns best by a wide margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I was out on the bike today and got to wondering if anyone knows if there is an NBA expansion team in Washington, playing their home games in the White House arena?? So many "players" on short term contracts, the Mooch signed to a 10 day contract, a clueless Head coach, etc.

rushfan wrote: »
    I was out on the bike today and got to wondering if anyone knows if there is an NBA expansion team in Washington, playing their home games in the White House arena?? So many "players" on short term contracts, the Mooch signed to a 10 day contract, a clueless Head coach, etc.

Literally no idea what you're talking about there!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Literally no idea what you're talking about there!

Ah don't worry about it!!! Just thought that all the chaos in the White House reminded me of some of the more dysfunctional NBA teams, players with 10 day contracts etc. The bottom line is that no Cabernet Sauvignon was harmed while I was composing the text!!!😂

Greece making some pretty strong accusations against the Bucks and the NBA re. Giannis being injured. You see this in soccer all the time but rarely in basketball.

Pacers reporting Lakers for tapping up PG. Fair play to them for doing it as everyone knows they have done; but unless the Lakers have been VERY stupid, I'd imagine this will be incredibly difficult to prove.

for anyone missing hoops/hoopstalk, there's a few good openfloor podcasts lately that go deep into things like player ratings; and. a good Bill Simmons pod on possible Kyrie trades. Other than that....does anyone know is anyone showing Eurobasket on TV?

for anyone missing hoops/hoopstalk, there's a few good openfloor podcasts lately that go deep into things like player ratings; and. a good Bill Simmons pod on possible Kyrie trades. Other than that....does anyone know is anyone showing Eurobasket on TV?

I'm nearly sure nba tv show Eurobasket. They did at least once anyway!

The mention of Eurobasket got me thinking about nikos galis, spent the last while looking up videos of him. What an incredible scorer, would have definitely been NBA standard but I suppose part of his mystique is that he ultimately chose to play at home.

This led me to thinking about Teodosic and what he could have done in the NBA through the years, glad we will finally get to see him week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cavs and Celtics in serious discussions over a trade involving Irving and Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Calliope Proud Dustpan

Paully D wrote: »
    Cavs and Celtics in serious discussions over a trade involving Irving and Thomas.

Deals done apparently it includes next years nets pick

• Advertisement

Kyre for Thomas, crowder, zizic and the nets pick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Kyre for Thomas, crowder, zizic and the nets pick

What have they been smoking in Ohio, thats a terrible trade

irishman86 wrote: »
    What have they been smoking in Ohio, thats a terrible trade

Tbh with him demanding a trade it's probably the most they could have gotten. It replaces him offensively criwders a big piece for the cabs now and who knows what the mets pick could end up as (and apparently zizic would have been a lottery pick this year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I presume the Celtics got some other picks in return, otherwise Cavs did very well and the Celtics gave up a little too much

Hazys wrote: »
    I presume the Celtics got some other picks in return, otherwise Cavs did very well and the Celtics gave up a little too much

Doesn't look like it so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Fantastic pick up for Boston.

Irving
    Brown
    Hayward
    Morris
    Horford

That's a fcking team right there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

That 2018 unprotected pick is potentially the best asset Cleveland got on this deal. The chance of getting Michael Porter or Marvin Bagley is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Cleveland gave up an All Star PG (that everybody knew was getting traded anyway) and got an All Star (obvious not as good and one less year on his contract), a great contract in Crowder, a promising C and a top 5/10 pick.

Its hard not to see how Cleveland didn't come out on top of this one.

All I know is that the East will be 100x more interesting this year.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    The mention of Eurobasket got me thinking about nikos galis, spent the last while looking up videos of him. What an incredible scorer, would have definitely been NBA standard but I suppose part of his mystique is that he ultimately chose to play at home.

This led me to thinking about Teodosic and what he could have done in the NBA through the years, glad we will finally get to see him week in week out.

I saw Galis play in the flesh (I was very young!). And lots of other Euroleague legends.....Oscar Schmidt (Brazilian gunner) and a few others amongst them. IMO, Galis was too small to play in the NBA at the time.:D

The best guy for me not to go was Theo Papaloukas. When Greece beat the US in 2008, it was mainly down to his play. Papaloukas was on $4m a year playign for CSKA and by all accounts was "enjoying life in Moscow" shall we say. In Euroleague and domestic league you play maybe 30games a year. In the NBA it's 82 + playoffs + travel. You can see why some guys stayed.

I'm definitely interested in watching Teodosic, but I think he's a little slow and it's a little late in his career to have really shone in the NBA. Shame really as I'd liked to have seen him enter the league at say 23. That said, he tore the US apart twice in the Olympics last year.

• Advertisement

I'm shocked on the trade....and I say that as a C's fan.

Shocked the trade happened at all regardless of what was on offer as you (normally) don't trade with your closest conf./rival. Then when you consider what the notoriously tight Celtics gave up (incl./esp. the Nets pick which they've consistently refused to even discuss), I'm really shocked.

Now when you factor in the Irving asked for the trade and that automatically means his value is diluted then you really have to wonder what are Boston thinking?

I wonder how bad Thomas' hip injury was/is. Do the medical team know something the Cavs don't? Pure speculation on my part there btw. I think it's that and the fact they clearly (now) didn't fancy giving him a max next summer that made him trade bait.

Is Kyrie better than Thomas? IMO, yes. That said, I think Cleveland won the trade, they got a better deal IMO. Celtics gave up too much I think.

Conf. Finals will be epic though if it's Boston V Cavs. Kyrie will short 100 times per game ;)

I will say this though: if Irving leaves in 2 years (as he can), the sh*t will hit the fan in Boston.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement