Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offseason 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I don't typically post in here but apparently there are rumours that the Knicks are open to trading Kristaps Porzingis and will draft Lauri Markkanen as his replacement in the draft.

Now I know Phil Jackson has been pretty poor as a GM thus far but even this must be beyond him? It's being reported by Adrian Wojnarowski.

What sort of package would it take for the Knicks to trade him?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I don't typically post in here but apparently there are rumours that the Knicks are open to trading Kristaps Porzingis and will draft Lauri Markkanen as his replacement in the draft.

Now I know Phil Jackson has been pretty poor as a GM thus far but even this must be beyond him? It's being reported by Adrian Wojnarowski.

Apparently every workout they did with every prospect was triangle based the knicks are a ****show

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

HigginsJ wrote: »

Honestly? Prob not that much. I think I'd Boston offered them the 1 pick - and maybe, maybe - someone like an Avery Bradley then that does it. Though honestly I think the 1 pick alone would have done it.

For other teams 1 player at lower end All-Star level depending on age and someone just below it again if he's young + a pick maybe.

I don't think NY have much leverage. He's already indicated he MAY leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

nerd69 wrote: »
    Apparently every workout they did with every prospect was triangle based the knicks are a ****show

Sigh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I doubt Kristaps gets traded. Celtics should be trying their best to make this trade tho. Pair him and Hayward and thats a big upgrade. Enough to beat the Cavs? Maybe not next year but the following year when LeBron is playing in LA they might make it to the finals to get crushed by the Warriors.

• Advertisement

The Hawks are sending Howard and the No. 31 overall pick in Thursday's NBA draft to Charlotte for center Miles Plumlee, shooting guard Marco Belinelli and the 41st pick. The deal became official late Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Knicks must be worst run professional sports team in America. Crazy to trade Porzingas, if he wants out then it's somewhat understandable but only reason he wants out is cos he is on a sinking ship

The Hawks are sending Howard and the No. 31 overall pick in Thursday's NBA draft to Charlotte for center Miles Plumlee, shooting guard Marco Belinelli and the 41st pick. The deal became official late Tuesday night.

Howard....the gift that keeps on giving

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Howard actually had a decent year - better than his last year in Houston certainly. If he produces in and around this level for the next two years I'd suggest it's a good trade for Charlotte.

• Advertisement

Also Pau Gasol has turned down his $16m player option, presumably going to restructure to give the Spurs more cap space. Returns me to my fawning over the Spurs from last week.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @WojVerticalNBA 1m1 minute ago
    More
    Lakers are trading Tim Mozgov and D'Angelo Russell to Nets for Brook Lopez and 27th pick Thursday, sources say.

Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
    Can the Lakers now land Paul George by offering Thursday's No. 27 and 28 picks and either Julius Randle or Jordan Clarkson? They're trying.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @WojVerticalNBA 1m1 minute ago
    More
    Lakers are trading Tim Mozgov and D'Angelo Russell to Nets for Brook Lopez and 27th pick Thursday, sources say.

Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
    Can the Lakers now land Paul George by offering Thursday's No. 27 and 28 picks and either Julius Randle or Jordan Clarkson? They're trying.

Lots of interest in PG, even as a 1 year rental. They'll have to do a lot better than that.

Not sure why they're in a rush though as he's pretty much/effectively said the ONLY team he wants to/will play for in 2018-19 in the Lakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Why would the Lakers give up assets for George now. When they are already getting him as a free agent next year.

I like the Brooklyn trade. They need to get rid of the Mosgov contact and will Russell moving. It opens the door for De'Arron Fox to take the PG roll from day 1.

The Lakers may be willing to give up assets now because why run the risk of George going somewhere else, having an extraordinarily successful season and being convinced to stay in that situation? Plus Lopez is $21m dollars of effective offense sitting there for the year on a roster, as it stands today, that won't win more than 30 games at a push. No harm bringing in George, going to the playoffs and start to build a culture of winning again. If you can do it with picks and Randle it's a good deal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

One stat that hasn't (to the best of my knowledge) been posted on here since the Finals ended was that statistically, LeBron's performance in the Finals was his best 5 game stretch since he entered the league. Amazing he did that at his age on one level, but testament to the amazing athlete (in a pure athletic sense) he is. I read last year that he spends approx. $1m per year "on his body" (nutritionists/chefs, massueses, personal trainers etc.) and given his injury free career and performances, it clearly shows.

Yep. He's an insane talent, but as well as that you don't see him out in the clubs partying or just being silly off the court in general. He looks after himself so well. That $1m a year is a solid, solid investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Why would the Lakers give up assets for George now. When they are already getting him as a free agent next year.

I like the Brooklyn trade. They need to get rid of the Mosgov contact and will Russell moving. It opens the door for De'Arron Fox to take the PG roll from day 1.
    If he ends up in Cleveland or Boston would he leave a team that (maybe) just made the NBA finals to go play with Ball and Ingram and fight for the 8 seed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

As a Pacer fan I would take Randle + them two picks.

I like Randle. Would give us much needed rebounding too.

Could all be bullsh*t, but if it's true it's an interesting development. Wonder who the players ar (if it's true)?

Report: Cavaliers players started telling Jimmy Butler to stay away from Cleveland

By Kurt HelinJun 21, 2017, 12:18 PM EDT

First came the reports that LeBron James and other Cavaliers players were calling Jimmy Butler to recruit him, and he wanted to push his way to Chicago.

Then came the report Butler told the Cavaliers he wants to stay in Chicago.

What changed? Did Butler remember his love of deep dish pizzas and Millennium Park and have a change of heart?

No, more likely is that Cavaliers players actually called him up and said “you don’t want to come here right now,” reports Joe Crowly at the Chicago Sun-Times.

According to a Cleveland source close to the situation, several of the Cavaliers who had been prodding Butler to push for a trade from the Bulls the last five days were now warning him to stay away from a suddenly volatile situation.

That change? Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert decided to let go of GM David Griffin. It was a stupid move on multiple levels, primarily that Griffin had done an amazing job in the role, and that LeBron James trusted him and was not happy Griffin was cut loose.

As an aside: Gilbert just gave LeBron a legitimate reason to leave in 2018. LeBron can say Gilbert showed he was not serious about keeping a contender together, he was able to bring one title to Cleveland but Gilbert stands in the way of future ones, and it is time to move on so he can keep chasing greatness and the ghost of Jordan. Outside of Cleveland, fans would look at the incompetence and nod.

Cleveland doesn’t have a GM — and may be about to hire one with no front office experience — heading into a key offseason where they need to revamp their roster to better compete with the Warriors, or risk losing LeBron. Does Butler want to walk into that situation? No.

And it’s the Cavs who are telling him so.

It's been a busy 24hours, given how things have started and the relative inactivity of the last two trade deadlines (last summer and All Star break) things are looking like they may well get kray-kray over the next 36-48hours.

COOL!

• Advertisement

I'm expecting something - SOMETHING - from Boston. They can't keep stockpiling these pics forever, time to make a move Danny, and please God be a BIG move.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Howard actually had a decent year - better than his last year in Houston certainly. If he produces in and around this level for the next two years I'd suggest it's a good trade for Charlotte.

Statistically it's probably his worst or up there but it was pretty decent to be fair, he stopped the downward spiral. As you say if he can remain consistent then it's not a bad trade

The clippers reportedly Shopping Jordan around the league - this less than 2 years after the Dallas fiasco. What a joke they have become under Rivers - a man whose own stock has plummeted enormously since his Boston days. He'll probably give Austin a max next...(joke!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

The clippers reportedly Shopping Jordan around the league - this less than 2 years after the Dallas fiasco. What a joke they have become under Rivers - a man whose own stock has plummeted enormously since his Boston days. He'll probably give Austin a max next...(joke!).

Also worth noting he had thibs as an assistant and some of the most intelligent players in NBA history when he was successful

Also worth noting he had thibs as an assistant and some of the most intelligent players in NBA history when he was successful

I know. Some of the decisions he's made since then and some of his behaviours have been questionable to put it mildly. I'd imagine a parting of ways in the not too distant future if Jerry West joins as is rumoured. I haven't seen it but apparently some of the ex-Boston players had a bit of a go at him on a recent Area 21 (KG's show), which is interesting. The whole Austin Rivers stuff is laughable (I've previously posted on how Rivers Jr. was a big joke to the rest of the players - on mobile so not looking for the link now), but he's really not NBA standard and would not have a team if he didn't play for Daddy. Doc is looking more like the guy who was fired from Orlando than the Championship winning C's coach every day.

In a way it reminds me of the Clive Woodward and England 2003 World Cup rugby winning team dynamic. I've read a few of the players and Woodward's autobiographies and the contrast in terms of who they believe should get the credit for the win is very interesting to read.

Bulls reportedly offer Butler to the Celtics for JUST the 3 pick, and Boston say no. Crazy if true. They almost did a multiplayer deal last Feb., now the 3 pick is too much. :confused:

I know. Some of the decisions he's made since then and some of his behaviours have been questionable to put it mildly. I'd imagine a parting of ways in the not too distant future if Jerry West joins as is rumoured. I haven't seen it but apparently some of the ex-Boston players had a bit of a go at him on a recent Area 21 (KG's show), which is interesting. The whole Austin Rivers stuff is laughable (I've previously posted on how Rivers Jr. was a big joke to the rest of the players - on mobile so not looking for the link now), but he's really not NBA standard and would not have a team if he didn't play for Daddy. Doc is looking more like the guy who was fired from Orlando than the Championship winning C's coach every day.

In a way it reminds me of the Clive Woodward and England 2003 World Cup rugby winning team dynamic. I've read a few of the players and Woodward's autobiographies and the contrast in terms of who they believe should get the credit for the win is very interesting to read.

Yea, jerry west is a clipper now so could be one of many changes.
    I think you might be a little harsh on Austin, I thought the same before but I've watched him a few times this year and he ain't that bad, he can hold his own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Bulls reportedly offer Butler to the Celtics for JUST the 3 pick, and Boston say no. Crazy if true. They almost did a multiplayer deal last Feb., now the 3 pick is too much. :confused:

No way thats true. Butler is more likely a better player now than any player in the draft will become.

Well Paul is gone and maybe Blake would walk too if he can get a reasonable deal somewhere? Might be time to blow it up and start the rebuild. The Jamal Crawford and Austin Rivers deals are bad, but if you start the tank and start again process it will take two years anyway. So they'd be aiming to get back to being competitive in 2019 - 2020 when both are off the books.

I don't think Rivers is the man for a rebuild of course, but if Paul is going shopping DAJ for assets is the right move.

• Advertisement

Problem with Paul is he has to leave a sh*t tonne of money on the table to go elsewhere. And as we've seen with a lot of NBA guys (Melo for example), they value money over winning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement