Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offseason 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

nerd69 wrote: »
    Ya I don't get the praise people are giving lavar for being around and not leaving his family thats not praiseworthy it's what is supposed to happen. I couldn't imagine someone saying that somebody is a great husband for not beating his wife it's a joke the guys a dick just because he's not a complete dick does not clear him of that

Based on my experience of the american sports media it seems if a black man or woman does the basic things you'd expect from a parent it's considered to be a big achievement.Which is really a borderline racist attitude to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Lonzo Ball was terrible last night in his summer league debut. He shot 2/15 from the field and missed 10/11 shots from 3.

His shot is the weakest part of his game. He can run the floor and pass at elite level, but on certain nights his shots will go in, and on others they won't. Look at his free throw mechanics and you'll squirm - his 3 point shot by comparison looks solid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Lavar is playing up to the cameras. He's like a wrestling manager. Its all a work. I find it pretty entertaining tbh.

Lonzos passing will make him a relevant player but his shooting mechanics are worse than Blake Bortles passing mechanics. Thats fixable tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Lakers VS Celtics is about to start
    on ESPN. Lonzo Ball will play. Jayson Tatum is also likely to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Based on my experience of the american sports media it seems if a black man or woman does the basic things you'd expect from a parent it's considered to be a big achievement.Which is really a borderline racist attitude to have.

I agree to a point, however, it is a fact that inner city families are quite often broken. Things that seem "basic" are more noteworthy in parents from inner Detroit than Cork. A large portion of NBA and NFL athletes come from these areas. I cant think of too many NBA players from the suburbs off the top of my head apart from Steph and Austin Rivers(who both grew up in decent surroundings because of their Parents basketball careers)

Either way LaVar deserves little praise on this matter because he was raising his family in Orange county not south central LA.

• Advertisement

Lonzo bounces back with an 11-11-11 triple double. I was impressed with his comments afterwards too, essentially it doesn't mean anything without the win.

Lonzo bounces back with an 11-11-11 triple double. I was impressed with his comments afterwards too, essentially it doesn't mean anything without the win.

Yeah I watched it last night. Ball was much better against Boston, I was also impressed with fellow rookie Kyle Kuzma. Boston were the better team though With Jalen Brown and Jayson Tatum, Two quality young players.

Ball Vs Fox in Summer league tonight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

rushfan wrote: »
    Watching the draft in NYC a few weeks ago, after seeing his old man being interviewed immediately after, I felt for Lonzo (well, just a little bit ) . His father's a jerk, an attention seeking git, who's doing his son no favours whatsoever.

I felt the same, I think Ball actually is quiet likeable, his father is just a class a prick

Ball Vs Fox in Summer league tonight

Oooh. Lonzo pulled out of the game last night. Didn't want to get shown up by De'Arron Fox again. He's going to have to face him some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Paul George is so full of **** it isn't even funny. He didn't even give Pritchard a chance to build a contender around him. And he thinks he's going to have a better shot at winning a championship in the West? Only if he finds a way to join Golden State.

Like LeBron and Durant, Paul is a coward who runs away for the "sure thing" when things get tough.

The difference being that LBJ and Durant are genuine superstars. PG is not on their level.

Screw you, Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,472 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

see Lonzo scored 36, 11 assists, and 8 rebounds against the sixers last night !

Just watched the highlights, some very impressive passing in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Paul George is so full of **** it isn't even funny. He didn't even give Pritchard a chance to build a contender around him. And he thinks he's going to have a better shot at winning a championship in the West? Only if he finds a way to join Golden State.

Like LeBron and Durant, Paul is a coward who runs away for the "sure thing" when things get tough.

The difference being that LBJ and Durant are genuine superstars. PG is not on their level.

Screw you, Paul.

A little bit harsh in my opinion, hasn't he spent around 6 seasons at Indiana, long enough time in a basketball career.
    He could of left as free agent next year but at least Indiana got something in return.
    I don't think you can call someone a coward for taking control of their own career, don't you make the decisions for what you feel is best for your career ?
    Okc may only be a stop gap until he joins the Lakers or someone maybe

NBA are doing a great job at promoting the league these days, it's literally become a 12 month season.
    I just have to laugh at the interest in the summer league, since when did anyone care about the stats from the summer league ??? Most of these players we will never see again, it's crazy

NBA are doing a great job at promoting the league these days, it's literally become a 12 month season.
    I just have to laugh at the interest in the summer league, since when did anyone care about the stats from the summer league ??? Most of these players we will never see again, it's crazy

True. I've been to summer league games in Vegas and Orlando. I can't even remember who the best player I saw in Orlando was it was so uneventful but the best player I saw in Vegas was Jerryd Bayless. And I know 99% of you are going "who?". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

True. I've been to summer league games in Vegas and Orlando. I can't even remember who the best player I saw in Orlando was it was so uneventful but the best player I saw in Vegas was Jerryd Bayless. And I know 99% of you are going "who?". :)

Another summer league MVP! I've always kept an eye on summer league but Ive never seen anything like the attention it has recieved this year.

It seems people are more interested in the NBA this year especially. It seems to rubbish the theory that an all conquering team is bad for the league as a whole.

Lonzo with another triple double last night (despite 6-20 shooting). There's been 2 triple doubles in Summer League history......Lonzo has both of them.

Interesting side note is he wore kobe's the other night and the adidas Harden's last night.

Lonzo with another triple double last night (despite 6-20 shooting). There's been 2 triple doubles in Summer League history......Lonzo has both of them.

Interesting side note is he wore kobe's the other night and the adidas Harden's last night.

Surely he is going to stop this nonsense wearing his aul lad shoes

irishman86 wrote: »
    Surely he is going to stop this nonsense wearing his aul lad shoes

The quite was something like "being in the Big Baller Brand stable allows you the freedom to wear whatever shoes you like"......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Off the top of my head, former Portland player, was decent, not sure where he is at now, I presume he has hoped around the league a bit.

The quite was something like "being in the Big Baller Brand stable allows you the freedom to wear whatever shoes you like"......:rolleyes:

Whats that buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Off the top of my head, former Portland player, was decent, not sure where he is at now, I presume he has hoped around the league a bit.

He's in Philly I think. Well he was last year anyway.

When it comes to Summer League... Kris Dunn was insane in it last season.

Johnathon Simmons to Orlando for 3 years and $20m.

Big loss for the Spurs, he was very good last year.

Some people questioning Warriors decision not to accept Indianas trade offer of Paul George for Klay Thompson.
    George is a an excellent player and possibly better than Thompson but only marginally if so. Why would the Warriors break up a championship team for a trade like this, would of been crazy

Some people questioning Warriors decision not to accept Indianas trade offer of Paul George for Klay Thompson.
    George is a an excellent player and possibly better than Thompson but only marginally if so. Why would the Warriors break up a championship team for a trade like this, would of been crazy

Better player? Possibly offensively, certainly not defensively. Better fit with Warriors roster? Not a chance.

Still shocked he went as cheaply as he did, but I'm not trading Klay Thompson for him. And even to the Warriors it would likely have been a rental when he joins LeBron as a Laker next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

6-20

He'll get eaten alive if he tries that in a real game.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    6-20

He'll get eaten alive if he tries that in a real game.

He's going to have Games like that though with a shot like he has. He'll be streaky hot (like he was in the 36point game, with 5 threes (I think)), or he'll have games where he couldn't hit a barn door. But it's his passing and running the floor that he'll be watched for, not his shooting.

• Advertisement

I can't set much value on these Lonzo performances, Most of these guys he's up against will never play a NBA game. Wait till he has to play against the big boys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement